PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Jazmine. The American Way of Life?

Tink
12-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Jazmine commented on another thread about liking the American way of life.

That made me wonder...

What is your concept of the American Way of Life? How do you view (or for those of us living here) experience life?

I think it will be very interesting to learn what our UK and other folks deem "the American Way of Life." :yes:

I also think it will be interesting to learn what Americans think of the way of life here in this country!

Ursula
12-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm thinking Lil house on the prairie...

Beccaberry
13-08-2008, 12:09 AM
LOL to "Little House on the Prairie" :laugh: I don't think I would make it!

Let's see....guess for now I'll stick to the tv show comparisons...since I saw the thread and it seems to fit (at least in my household)..."Home Improvement" most days with a bit of "Friends" thrown in for good measure...

SleepinCatz
13-08-2008, 12:36 AM
That would be us too lol...only I think I'm Tim the toolman Taylor lol

Tink
13-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Hmmmm, never thought of the TV show metaphor. Would "Sordid Lives" be TMI? LOL! OK, I'm kidding!

Little House on the Prairie? Nah! Helly that is pure Hollywood. It wasn't even like that THEN! :lol:

Beccaberry
13-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Hmmmm, never thought of the TV show metaphor. Would "Sordid Lives" be TMI?

LOL! Nope...probably just enough to peak the curiosity of the likes of us!!!

only I think I'm Tim the toolman Taylor lol

LOL, not here...we have a "No electrical work unless there are two people in the house" rule for a *reason* :yes:

Shellyamc
13-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Desperate Housewives, of course

:laugh::t1408:

Beccaberry
13-08-2008, 01:56 AM
:laugh: :yes:

Tink
13-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Have you ever seen Sordid Lives? It's a series that I think must have been on for some time now, but we've just discovered it (flipping the stations, you know how that goes)...

It is one WEIRD show! LOL!

HEY! I'm derailing my own thread! :lol:

OK, back to American Way of Life...

What is it then? :unsure:

Beccaberry
13-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Have you ever seen Sordid Lives? It's a series that I think must have been on for some time now, but we've just discovered it (flipping the stations, you know how that goes)...

Isn't that the one set in Texas? LOL, I think my girlfriend watches it!

In a word? I'd say frenetic. Not to paint our entire culture with one brush, but do you know that I actually found myself *apologizing* to my neighbor a few days ago because Jon and I decided *not* to allow Baleigh to participate in "Pop Warner" Cheerleading. She couldn't understand why we thought it was a bad idea. Practices Mon - Thur from 5:00 til 8:30 and then games all day on Saturday? And she couldn't *understand*? On top of that, her daughter takes gymnastics and a hip-hop dance class (when, I have NO idea). So I found myself actually apologizing for not being willing to commit my child to *anything* so demanding. When did this become acceptable? Our children are overscheduled, overwrought and overstimulated...and I'm not sure we're doing them any favors. As adults we seem to be constantly running hither and yon...always a deadline, always an appointment...

So in a word...I think the "American Way of Life" has become very hurried.

PsychoAlice
13-08-2008, 03:03 AM
Secret life of an American teenager....

Ursula
13-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Malcom in the middle... lol.... I so love that show... has me in hysterics.

MystikPiglit
13-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm thinking Lil house on the prairie...

I loved that show!

I think of it as - big opportunities & big rewards for hard work. Would you agree?

Grammiepo
13-08-2008, 11:17 AM
The right to speak your mind, even if you are very wrong, :rolleyes008:and not too bright.:gy: The right to live in the woods or the big city. ;) We may be wrong in the way we live, but it is the best the world has to offer.:yes:

Taja
13-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, I don't watch much television, so those metaphors are pretty useless with me. I have a general idea of most of the major shows, but no real details! :lol:

So with that in mind...

...The American way of life is opportunity and choice. We have many opportunities to change our lives if we make the right choices and work to achieve our goals. For most people, very little is handed to us on a silver platter, but we can pursue our dreams, regardless of our financial or social status.

Are there barriers? Absolutely! While we technically don't have social classes, in reality we do--and that can make some choices more difficult than others. There also are financial barriers--inequality in income, housing, medical care, etc., that are difficult to overcome. But we have the option to try.

That's the reason I elected to become a US citizen. I had the option of citizenship in three different countries--courtesy of my parents. After much consideration, I selected the US. While I frequently disagree with the policies and seriously wince at the less than stellar performance of many of our elected officials, I revel in the opportunity to disagree and present my own opinions! :)

Grammiepo
13-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Taja, wish I had your way with words.:p015: You and Tink should start your own books.:yes: I for one would sure buy them.:hug2:

Britchick
13-08-2008, 04:46 PM
my name is earl:lol:

Jazmine
13-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Im not too good with words either but i love the friendliness, the clean streets the houses, the family way of life, the shopping, entertainment etc; there`s too many things to mention Oh and of course WDW, over here its a very different picture we are not a family orientated nation (well some of us are) oh i forgot something the food i just love American restaurants, mmmmmmmmmm
Jacqui xxx

Claire
13-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I love the whole way that Americans seemingly celebrate any success you have and continue to encourage everyone to strive to succeed in many areas.

sazzledazzle
13-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I think there are many similiarities from US to UK and if you live in a city the pace of life is probably much the same for all of us (fast) but if you live in a relatively rural location then I think the differences are more noticeable. The miles between towns and cities in America are HUGE - I live in a rural area and it's 30-45 mins to a big town but if you live in a rural area in US it could be hours and hours to a big town for shopping etc.

Tink
13-08-2008, 11:10 PM
That's very true SazzleDazzle. I used to be the director of a small rural library. I went to a Librarian's Conference in Omaha, Nebraska (I was living in the northeast). When I said I was from a rural library, one of the librarians from Nebraska asked me how close the next town was. I replied that it was minutes away. His reply? The closest town to me is FIVE HUNDRED MILES away! :eek: THAT'S rural.

Johnie
14-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Isn't that the one set in Texas? LOL, I think my girlfriend watches it!

In a word? I'd say frenetic. Not to paint our entire culture with one brush, but do you know that I actually found myself *apologizing* to my neighbor a few days ago because Jon and I decided *not* to allow Baleigh to participate in "Pop Warner" Cheerleading. She couldn't understand why we thought it was a bad idea. Practices Mon - Thur from 5:00 til 8:30 and then games all day on Saturday? And she couldn't *understand*? On top of that, her daughter takes gymnastics and a hip-hop dance class (when, I have NO idea). So I found myself actually apologizing for not being willing to commit my child to *anything* so demanding. When did this become acceptable? Our children are overscheduled, overwrought and overstimulated...and I'm not sure we're doing them any favors. As adults we seem to be constantly running hither and yon...always a deadline, always an appointment...

So in a word...I think the "American Way of Life" has become very hurried.

I completely agree. I think many are doing a diservice to their kids by not letting them have any free time to just be kids. I also think that many of the toys are great but they don't let a kid use their imagination and kids just don't seem to be able to entertain themselves. Something is always entertaining them. I never signed Alysia up for much because I actually enjoy spending time with my child. She did soccer and cheereading but the practices were not so rigid and demanding. Shoot, I tell her now that she doesn't need to get a job if she doesn't want to. She has the rest of her life to work. Just enjoy being a kid.

Taja
14-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Taja, wish I had your way with words.:p015: You and Tink should start your own books.:yes: I for one would sure buy them.:hug2:

Awwwww! Thanks, Grammiepo!

Tink can communicate rings around me, though! :lol: I usually look at her thoughtful comments and responses and think: "Yep! What she said!" :lol: