PDA

View Full Version : What books have you been reading??

disneymom
25-08-2012, 09:50 AM
I've just finished 50 shades :) I'm still blushing :tongue: so I need something else now

Any recommendations?

Britchick
25-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm reading the chimp paradox by Dr Steve Peters at the moment, he's the psychiatrist responsible for the British cycling team's success this summer. Oh and Oprah magazine, have backpacked by Catherine Ryan something that I'm also reading, she wrote mouse trapped. I did kind of read 50 shades but it bored me after a while lol :)

Dawn
25-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Just finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Attwood.

Now reading The Kite Runner.

FiftyShades got on my nerves.

keith
25-08-2012, 11:51 AM
DW is reading 50 shades... seems to be enjoying it (let's hope it doesn't raise expectations :/ )

I've just finished re-reading The Great Gatsby in preparation for the movie later this year!

Now onto Sweet tooth by Ian McEwan

...and after all that, it's down to earth next week when the new Lee child - Jack Reacher novel comes out "a wanted man". There'll be nothing intellectual about that one :lol: Still can't believe they've got Tom Cruise to play him in the movie though :( sigh.

Beccaberry
25-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Just returned from vacation and devoured THREE non-descript romance novels that I found in a box my grandmother had given me. They weren't "good" by any means, but they were incredibly satisfying ;-)

Currently reading a book about Marilyn Monroe. Quite good!

Johnie
25-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm reading the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

foreverducky
25-08-2012, 02:48 PM
DW is reading 50 shades... seems to be enjoying it (let's hope it doesn't raise expectations :/ )
I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything...I would have sprayed it all over my new desk. :lolchair:

I've been a reader of romance/erotic novels for years. So I'm a little shocked at all the hoop-la related to 50 Shades. :shrug:

Disneymom, if you liked 50 Shades I heard that Bared to You is similar.

I'm reading Biting Cold by Chloe Neill. It's a series book about vampires (....I've been reading vampire books for years too--even before they were cool). Hmmm, maybe I'm a trendsetter.

If you like humorous and somewhat dark/criminal books then I highly recommend the Jack Daniels series by JA Konrath. They are absolutely fantastic.

I also recommend any of the books that Jeff Strand has written. They are dark, but extremely hilarious. Especially his series about Andrew Mayhem.

Beccaberry
25-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Disneymom, if you liked 50 Shades I heard that Bared to You is similar.

This is one of the one's I read on vacation. It was quite similar (and equally badly written).

josh.p.
25-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I finished The Hunger Games trilogy a few weeks ago but haven't picked up anything else yet, been really busy. I loved the trilogy right up until the last two or three chapters which I thought were a terrible anti-climax. I was glued to the books and didn't put them down, I read the whole trilogy in a week.

Just finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Attwood.

Now reading The Kite Runner.

FiftyShades got on my nerves.

The Kite Runner is one of my Mum's favourite books. But her absolute favourite (by the same author) is A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I'm reading Biting Cold by Chloe Neill. It's a series book about vampires (....I've been reading vampire books for years too--even before they were cool). Hmmm, maybe I'm a trendsetter.

I finished the latest in the Southern Vampire Mysteries a few weeks/months back now and I'm getting a little tired of that series (even though I liked the ending) The latest TV series of True Blood, however is bloody fantastic!

Is Biting Cold much good? I didn't like twilight at all, even though I was hooked on the story they were terribly written. but I LOVE the True Blood series.

lozzy
25-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I have been reading the vampire diaries, once I have read them I will be starting on the 50 shades of gray,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnie
25-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Lol I will not be reading 50 Shades. I've been told by at least 3 friends that the book will just make me angry. I hated the Twilight books too.

I'm currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

lozzy
25-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I have read all the twilight books and really enjoyed them, but then I loved the films,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wendy
25-08-2012, 08:17 PM
I've just finished ready The Girl on the Cliff by Lucinda Riley and really enjoyed it.

Johnie
25-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I only read the first two Twilight books. But this was after everyone talked them up so much. The second was better than the first but they didn't live up to the hype. Though to be fair I doubt they could have given how much hype there was.

foreverducky
25-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Josh, the Chicagoland Vampire series (i.e.: most recent is Biting Cold) is very good.

I love the Sookie books and can't believe there is only 2 left in the series (I believe it's 2). Of course, True Blood is excellent too, but to me they are so different.

Britchick
25-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I have so many books to read! Seems like I never have the time! when I'm studying I use up all my concentration on that lol

keith
25-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Josh, the Chicagoland Vampire series (i.e.: most recent is Biting Cold) is very good.

definitely going to give those a go!

Esmeralda
27-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Just read a book from the charity shop called A dog called Aero by Liam Creed. About a boy with ADHD and how this dog changed his life. Enjoyed it. DD has just bought the Fifty Shades of Grey books... I wasn't going to read them but I will now they're in the house, however if I don't like the first few pages I won't bother with the rest. They're not my thing but will give them a go, I might be pleasantly surprised.

Loved Stephen Kings latest one though, not a huge fan of his but some books he does are brilliant and others are just meh. Loved his Dome one too.

foreverducky
27-08-2012, 12:38 PM
definitely going to give those a go!

Make sure you read them in order. :D