PDA

View Full Version : So tell me about the POR- French Quarter

Shellyamc
11-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Have you stayed there? Do you love it? What quirks does it have?

Looking at staying there this trip and Dh and I have only been there to eat and take the carriage ride, so I'm looking for a little more first hand information :yes::thumbsup:

Vikki
11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
We love it and are looking forward to going again next year. The resort is really small so nowhere is more than a 5 minute walk. You sometimes share a bus with POR but you do get picked up and dropped off first which is a benefit. There is no full service restaurant but I've never found that to be a problem. The beignets at the CS are an absolute must do.

uscwest
11-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Plus you can catch a boat to DTD.

Britchick
11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
looking forward to staying there in around 11 weeks!

Vikki
11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Not that you're excited ;)

Britchick
11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Not that you're excited ;)

not at all! LOL to be honest it doesn't seem real at the moment

Johnie
11-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I've done laundry there and I've eaten in the food court! :tongue: both while staying at POR. It is such a beautiful little resort. They've done the refurb there and they are more expensive than POR now.

Figment
11-09-2012, 07:45 PM
I'll be there 30 days before Brit!:taunt: Really looking forward to it. Love the theming from the pictures I've seen.

Britchick
11-09-2012, 08:09 PM
I've done laundry there and I've eaten in the food court! :tongue: both while staying at POR. It is such a beautiful little resort. They've done the refurb there and they are more expensive than POR now.

that's because it's more exclusive:tongue:

I'll be there 30 days before Brit!:taunt: Really looking forward to it. Love the theming from the pictures I've seen.

oooh so you can come back and tell me things :worship:

keith
11-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I think it's one of the most relaxing places on site.

Although theres no full service restaurant, the dining hall does have a better variety than some places. Various full chicken options, ribs etc. very nice indeed.

The bar has a jazz singer who's really good and it's easy to spend an evening there

My favourite thing to do has to be getting a boat to downtown disney. Such a lovely relaxing trip and some of the boat captains are fantastic.

Shellyamc
11-09-2012, 09:19 PM
looking forward to staying there in around 11 weeks!

I will expect full reports from both of you :yes: Details, details, details ladies :lol:

Britchick
11-09-2012, 09:26 PM
I shall be catching the boat to DTD the first night for dinner :thumbsup:

catrancher
12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Although theres no full service restaurant, the dining hall does have a better variety than some places. Various full chicken options, ribs etc. very nice indeed.

Or you can stroll or take a boat upriver to POR and eat at Boatwright's Dining Hall if you simply MUST have a sit down restaurant!.

Tom (:macwave:... who actually really likes Boatwright's!)

keith
12-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Or you can stroll or take a boat upriver to POR and eat at Boatwright's Dining Hall if you simply MUST have a sit down restaurant!.

Tom (:macwave:... who actually really likes Boatwright's!)

yep! I had a nice meal there some years ago. To be honest, I'd probably hop on the boat to DTD, more choice but yep you're right, Boatwrights is there in an emergency

Shellyamc
12-09-2012, 12:31 PM
We did have dinner at Boatwright's in ummm..2005 I think and we enjoyed it. I do think the menu has changed quite a bit since then and I don't think it would work as well for us now, but it is nice to know it is there. I don't really mind the lack of a restaurant since we are coming from stays in the value resorts.

Watchinherskip
12-09-2012, 01:14 PM
I think it's one of the most relaxing places on site.

The bar has a jazz singer who's really good and it's easy to spend an evening there

My favourite thing to do has to be getting a boat to downtown disney. Such a lovely relaxing trip and some of the boat captains are fantastic.

Yup what Keith said!! It is a lovely boat ride (so lovely that it is my dream retirement job...I want to be one of the captains!). We took the boat to DTD, then a second one to OKW and had a great time at Olivia's. Good food and a really nice atmosphere.

We have only stay onsite, in moderates and deluxe and it ranks as maybe our favorite place.

Vikki
12-09-2012, 02:10 PM
What are the refurbed rooms like?

Dorothy
12-09-2012, 02:15 PM
I can't wait for all the reports from there to come in as I may be looking at next Sept or Oct. for a trip with a friend :yes:

Figment
12-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know if the boat to DTD is ECV friendly?

keith
12-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Does anyone know if the boat to DTD is ECV friendly?

yep they're fine, the boats from POR/FQ come with ramps for wheelchairs and ecvs

MystikPiglit
13-09-2012, 02:38 PM
We've had very happy visits to POFQ. It's pretty to stroll around and, when we've been, very peaceful. A particularly nice thing to do is to sit on the benches beside the river. Lovely. :yes:

Shellyamc
13-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Well this is all good news :yes:

Sounds like a nice mix of calm/peaceful for the adults and lots of fun things for the kids to do. I think I am ready to venture outside the All stars :thumbsup:

Tinkfan
13-09-2012, 04:48 PM
:wave:We stayed there twice, once when Tyler was quite young and again when he was about 8 or 9. It had a peaceful effect and was never screaming loud which was great when we came back from a very full day at the parks. He loves the beignets as well!

Figment
08-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Well, we got back last night...so hard to leave. :sigh:

We loved POFQ! It's such a nice tiny resort. We were in building 7, which as far away as possible from the main building, but it was still closer than our *preferred* building at ASM.

The pool is very nice, and the slide was cool. Jordan was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as big as it looked in the pictures, though. LOL We saw 3 CMs playing water games with the small kids...they seemed to be having a really great time.

And can I just say...BEIGNETS! (pronounced?[ben-yey]) Be prepared to wait 10-15 minutes or so...they fry them to order and they are very popular. We heard one older man yelling at the manager because the rest of his breakfast got cold waiting for them

We took the boat to DTD...wonderful little trip down the river. Loved seeing the treehouse at Saratoga Springs.

Britchick
08-11-2012, 05:05 PM
sounds perfect! how long would you estimate it took you to get to the bus stop? I'm thinking of asking for a ground floor corner room and not specifying a building. Did you request anywhere?

Mags
08-11-2012, 07:02 PM
We stayed at POFQ in 2010 and we totally fell in love with the resort. I was so sceptical about staying there and thought I had made the wrong decision. My favourite park is HS and even though I have been to WDW many times I kept convincing myself that POFQ was too far from my favourite park for easy access. Nonsense!
I loved everything about the hotel from the s!ze (just perfect), to the theming and the ease from which we could get from our room to every part of the resort.
We were in the block closest to the main building, so it was 30 secs to the QS restaurant (very good it was too), 1 min to the laundry room and pool and about 2 - 3 mins to the boat launch.
It beat CSR hands down for us and I think that for every one of us it was our favourite resort.
Edited to say that the bus stop is no more than 2-3 mins from any part of the resort. It took us about 1 min to get to it.

Mags

Britchick
08-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Whoot! I will ask for corner and ground floor, thanks!

Figment
08-11-2012, 08:52 PM
sounds perfect! how long would you estimate it took you to get to the bus stop? I'm thinking of asking for a ground floor corner room and not specifying a building. Did you request anywhere?

Brit..can't really answer that since we always rent a car, but the bus stop is in front of the main building (I think) and the CM that checked us in said basically nothing is more than a 5 minute walk from anywhere It's really hard to imagine how small this resort really is until you see if for yourself. When having conversations with several CMs during the week...it was surprising how many claim FQ is their favorite resort.

We didn't request any place specific, but if we go back (which I would in a heartbeat if I can get a decent price) I would request building 4. It's right next to the main building...right across from the pool and right next to the parking lot. (But still has *garden view* rooms on the one side.)

Britchick
08-11-2012, 08:53 PM
We're in standard view so view of the carpark i suspect lol