PDA

View Full Version : What a morning... NOT!

catrancher
15-09-2012, 07:16 PM
It all started yesterday. I went and had a physical with our new doctor. Nice guy. Really liked him. Part of that of course was to stick sharp, pointed objects into my body and remove some of the fluid that normally should remain inside. This was duly packaged in little glass cylinders and shipped off to God knows where for them to do God knows what with. :shrug:

Now, keep in mind during the rest of this missive that we've just spent the entire week having the complete plumbing system in the house replaced. Add to that the fact that the plumber fell through the ceiling of my closet on Friday morning and my DW notified me of this exactly at the moment the physician was performing the most intimate part of his examination.
Stress levels are abnormally high. :surrender:

So, the doctor says they'll have the results of my blood work next week and I can call to get them. And with that, I'm out of the office to scurry home to see how much damage has resulted from a rather hefty plumber doing a swan dive through my closet ceiling. As it turns out, the damage isn't that bad although all my clothes are piled in a heap on the floor and covered with fluffy little pink bits of insulation. Likewise, our bed looks rather like a pink refugee from a cotton ball factory.
Ah well, so it goes. :shrug:

The plumber is fine and they assure us they'll have this repaired and cleaned up to our satisfaction by the afternoon. :yes:

Finally, yesterday eventing, my DW and I get to relax. The plumbing job is complete, the plumbers are gone, my closet has been repaired and I've picked up and vacuumed my entire wardrobe and hung it back in my freshly repaired closet. A few adult beverages to help us relax and a quiet evening at home. Nothing better.

This morning, before I've had coffee, nice guy that I am, I offered to my DW that i would go out and pick us up a nice bit of morning breakfast and get gas for her car since she had a baby shower to go to this afternoon. While I'm driving down the street, my cell phone rings and I thought about letting it roll to voice mail since I don't like to talk and drive. But, in case it's my DW, I go ahead and answer it. A voice on the other end says "Hello, Mr. G, this is Dr. Phlabob (not his real name). I need you to go immediately to the emergency room. I've called them and told them to expect you."

Car swerves all over road.

Says I, "howcome?" New Dr. replies that my blood work has come back it seems that there's some irregularities. Specifically, my white count is way, way, way too low. Normal is supposedly between 4.0 and 11.0. Mine was down about 1.3. So, I'm to go to the emergency room immediately where they'll run the tests again.
If it's still down, I'll be admitted to the hospital. :shocked:

Of course, before he had called my cell phone, he had called my house. My DW had answered and when she found out who it was, asked if anything was wrong. Due to the silly privacy laws, he simply told her "No. He just needed to talk with me about some test results". This of course, sent her into a complete panic. So, no sooner had I hung up from talking to the Dr., my phone rang again and this time, it's my DW. Explained to her the situation and that I was on my way home to pick her up.

What fun! :happydance:

Which brings me back to the start of this story. No coffee, no breakfast and a trip to the Emergency room. They re-ran my blood work and found that my white count was coming back up. Now it was 2.7. Better. But still not right. But good enough for me to go home. So around noon, I'm released from the hospital (aka prison). Still no coffee or food but at least I'm free again. But on Monday, it's back to my Doctor's office for more sharp, pointed objects inserted into my body and once again, take out some of that which is better left inside. They've sent me home with a current diagnosis of Leukopenia. The dictionary tells me this about it; "a reduction in the number of white cells in the blood, typical of various diseases.".
Specific. Ain't it? :unsure:

What a fun way to star the day. :thumbsdown:

Tom (:macwave:... of the down, then up white count.)

Clarkkent
15-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Fingers crossed for positive news and nothing bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinkfan
15-09-2012, 07:39 PM
:sorry::hug2:So sorry, that indeed is very low, have you been feeling ill? When my count drops like that I can barely stand up. They may put you on a WBC stimulater. It's an injection that works quite well. Do you have a history of this or is this new?

Suebeattie
15-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Oh blimey that was an eventful couple of days. Hope all goes ok on Monday :yes:

:wiggle:

Britchick
15-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Oh no Tom, hope you get some answers soon :)

uscwest
15-09-2012, 08:47 PM
OMG Tom, certainly hope that everything is all right. Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time.

Johnie
15-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Sending pixie dust that everything is going to be ok!!

Sam
15-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Hope everything is ok. Let us know how it goes monday.

Thinking of you mate.

Deafjeff
15-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Thinking of you also. Got my fingers and toes crossed for you mate.

mumof2
15-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Oh good grief, hoping you'll get positive news Tom xx

Tink
15-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Well, that is just NO WAY to spend a day. :sorry: I sure hope it's just some sort of random fluke. :yes:

Take care now and be sure to let us know as soon as you can. :hug2:

Esmeralda
15-09-2012, 11:41 PM
:hug2::hug2::hug2:

foreverducky
16-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Well, that's not good. Keep us posted.

catrancher
16-09-2012, 12:38 PM
:sorry::hug2:So sorry, that indeed is very low, have you been feeling ill? When my count drops like that I can barely stand up. They may put you on a WBC stimulater. It's an injection that works quite well. Do you have a history of this or is this new?

Nope. No indication that anything was amiss at all. No history. No viral infections. Nothing. Complete surprise out of the blue. I kind of suspect it may be a vitamin deficiency that's caused it. My dietary intake is not the best it could be. So, this morning starts out with a big glass of orange juice.

We'll see if that helps.

Tom (:macwave:... who feels fine. :shrug:)

Wendy
16-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Oh my goodness Tom :hug2: Not a nice way to start the day or the weekend.

Look after yourself and let us know as soon as possible how you get on on Monday :hug2:

Slowhand
16-09-2012, 03:46 PM
That`s you in a nutshell Tom, getting your internal and external plumbing sorted at the same time. :lol:

I`m sure that you won`t have much to worry about, and hopefully it`s just a glip with your blood count analysis. :fingers:
Please keep us all posted though, we still have oodles of cruises to plan. :yes:

catrancher
16-09-2012, 05:22 PM
we still have oodles of cruises to plan. :yes:

You're absolutely correct Sir!

Now, if we could just get Keith to acquiesce. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... of the lowish white count...)

Mari
17-09-2012, 01:45 AM
:hug2:

I hope everything is fine Tom

No coffee no breakfast would totally ruin my day!

catrancher
17-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Well, the adventure continues. :shrug:

Back to the doctors office this morning so they could draw more blood. They'll call when the results are back. Now we just sit and wait to see if things are getting better. Or worse.

Tom (:macwave:... drinking OJ as he types.)

Beccaberry
17-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Tom!! How dare you cause so much excitement over the weekend!! ;-)

Thinking of you and keeping everything crossed for good news. x

Watchinherskip
17-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Hey Tom, hang in there. I know you are anxious to hear. I am sure they will get it sorted out soon.

Dawn
17-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Surprised you've got any blood left by now.

Fingers crossed for you. :yes:

catrancher
17-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Surprised you've got any blood left by now.

Odd. That's exactly what the nurse at my doctors office said this morning. :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... drained...)

Skywatcher
17-09-2012, 03:37 PM
50 c says its on the up :)

Sorry to have missed this the other day my friend - hope you are having better days soon bud.

lisaw
17-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear this! Hope it rights itself very soon! :yes:

Tinkerbell
17-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I hope your result come back ok

Sam
17-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I hope everything is ok, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

catrancher
18-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Well...

As of this morning, it hasn't gotten better. New hematologist to soon be in the mix. Film at eleven. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... Ok. Ok. You got my attention.)

Beccaberry
18-09-2012, 03:10 PM
We'll stay tuned. With our fingers crossed and lots of pixiedust in the air.

Dorothy
18-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Got everything crossed for luck and sending you all my positive thoughts and hugs :hug2: :hug2:

Tinkerbell
18-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Keeping everything crossed and shovelling pixie dust to you like mad :hug2:

DisneyFreak
18-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Hoping for the best rancher!!

lozzy
18-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Sending you positive thoughts and lots of pixie dust.

Britchick
18-09-2012, 07:06 PM

Wendy
18-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Oh Tom I hope you get some better news soon :hug2: :hug2:

I think you deserve a Disney Cruise after all this :)

catrancher
18-09-2012, 08:42 PM
I think you deserve a Disney Cruise after all this :)

Me too! :yes:

Now, the only question is after all the doctor bills wil I ever be able to afford one again? :unsure:

Tom(:macwave:... of the non-socialized medicine society.)

Suebeattie
18-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Me too! :yes:

Now, the only question is after all the doctor bills wil I ever be able to afford one again? :unsure:

Tom(:macwave:... of the non-socialized medicine society.)

I think you should take the cruise before paying the medical bills :yes:
Hope you get some good news soon.

Sam
18-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Been thinking of you today. :hug2: Hope it all turns out good.

foreverducky
19-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Here's hoping for good news soon!

And I totally agree....disney first, then medical bills.

Watchinherskip
19-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Sending out good vibes~~~~~~~~~~~! Hope you get great news soon.

Sam
20-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Any news yet? :comfort:

catrancher
21-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Some news this morning. Off to the hematologist yesterday for testing. She did a thorough exam and more blood work.

I may actually be running short of blood at this point. Or so it seems. :shocked:

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that my numbers are trending up. She couldn't see any particular reason why they may have been low in the first place. Other than the low white count numbers, I seem to be perfectly healthy. No recent colds, fevers, or anything else that the low white count could be attributed to. She's got some additional test results coming back today that couldn't be done in the office lab so we'll see if they say anything different. Other than that, she's indicating that we'll take a wait and see approach. I've got another appointment with her on Monday for yet more blood tests. If nothing else surfaces and the numbers continue to trend upward, she seems to be of the opinion at this point that I might have gotten some kind of viral infection somewhere that didn't produce any noticeable symptoms other than the low white count.

So, while nothing definitive yet, at least it doesn't seem to be dire at this point. Fingers crossed it stays that way! :fingers:

Thanks for everyone's concern. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... of the better blood.)

lozzy
21-09-2012, 11:09 AM
So pleased that its looking more positive.
When I first read this thread I must say my heart sank, but it looks like all our positive thought have done a good job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deafjeff
21-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm pleased that it is looking much more positive

catrancher
21-09-2012, 11:14 AM
So pleased that its looking more positive.
When I first read this thread I must say my heart sank, but it looks like all our positive thought have done a good job.

Thanks lozzy! :yes:

Yes, when this first came up, my mind started racing to recent events here on Secrets also. My terror yesterday before going to the hematologist was palpable. After the appointment however, my relief was like a cool drink on a hot day. While nothing is definitive yet, I'm feeling so much better about things.

Never underestimate the power of good thoughts and good wishes!

Tom (:macwave:... grateful...)

Beccaberry
21-09-2012, 11:23 AM
So very glad to hear the positive update, Tom. Will continue to send good thoughts and vibes your way!! Keep the good news coming!

uscwest
21-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Certainly glad to hear that things are trending on the positive side Tom.

Britchick
21-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Thank goodness Tom :)

Skywatcher
21-09-2012, 01:14 PM
I am so sorry for not really answering fully before and I really hope you didn't take my comment about 50c says its going up the wrong way.

I don't really like giving medical info out on here as its not really ethical and I'd hate to say the wrong thing. 99% of low white counts are benign and are due to intercurrent viral infcetions/drug reactions that causes a temporary supression in the marrow - the low white counts that people hear about and are scared about are invariably secondary to treatment sych as chemo.

Low lymphocytes , which are often to blame have a habit of occuring in middle aged chaps - they are of little consequece but as they are low they make the count as a whole look much lower than it is.

Glad all is well buddy , and always happy to chat with you via PM

catrancher
21-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I am so sorry for not really answering fully before and I really hope you didn't take my comment about 50c says its going up the wrong way.

I don't really like giving medical info out on here as its not really ethical and I'd hate to say the wrong thing. 99% of low white counts are benign and are due to intercurrent viral infcetions/drug reactions that causes a temporary supression in the marrow - the low white counts that people hear about and are scared about are invariably secondary to treatment sych as chemo.

Low lymphocytes , which are often to blame have a habit of occuring in middle aged chaps - they are of little consequece but as they are low they make the count as a whole look much lower than it is.

Glad all is well buddy , and always happy to chat with you via PM

Chris,

No worries at all mate. I would never ask nor expect you to dispense medical advice either here publicly on the forum or via PM. :nono:

However, I do like the statistic indicating that 99% are benign. Of course, from my minds perspective there was still that 1%. Perpetual "glass is more than half empty" kind of thing.

But back on track now and feeling significantly better about things. Also, quite impressed with the hematologist I've been lucky enough to get. I'm in a happier place today! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... deep breaths. In goes the good air and out comes the bad air.)

Johnie
21-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Glad to hear this good news!!!

Wendy
21-09-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm really pleased Tom :hug2: that is indeed good news, I can stop panicking now :hug2:

Dorothy
21-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm glad the numbers are coming up and that you're not stressing as much. Maybe what you need is a nice long vacation with a big mouse to make you feel better :yes:

Mags
21-09-2012, 02:25 PM
That is great news!

Mags

lisaw
21-09-2012, 03:03 PM
So glad to hear that news Tom! :hug2:

Suebeattie
21-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Yay glad you have had some good news and everything is crossed for you to keep getting it :yes:

Watchinherskip
21-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Tom, that is certainly great news! Awesome. You are right about postive thinking and best wishes..they can do wonders.

Sam
21-09-2012, 09:15 PM
:happydance::happydance::happydance: Great news.

foreverducky
23-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Whew! :hug2:

catrancher
24-09-2012, 02:22 PM
One step forward, two steps back. :thumbsdown:

Well, this morning I have been informed that my neutrophil count has not risen as had been expected. Currently still hanging around at .4.
So, I seem to have won myself a bone marrow biopsy to be conducted this Wednesday morning. :shocked:

I figure if I start drinking right now, I can be totally sotted by this Wednesday. :bar:

Stay tuned. Film at eleven.

Tom (:macwave:... and the adventure continues...)

Deafjeff
24-09-2012, 02:24 PM
:comfort: finger cross all will go well :hug2:

uscwest
24-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Tom, that certainly does not sound like fun. Hope that all goes well.

DisneyFreak
24-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Hoping for good results!

Britchick
24-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Slowhand
24-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Double :hug2::hug2: [Those are man hugs BTW Tom.!]

catrancher
24-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Double :hug2::hug2: [Those are man hugs BTW Tom.!]

I knew that Terry. Really. I did. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... and I appreciate it.)

Suebeattie
24-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Oh tom hope it all goes well on Wednesday :D

Sam
24-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Oh my lovely I hope all goes well on Wednesday. :comfort:

foreverducky
24-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Well ****....that's not what I wanted to see today.:sorry: I totally agree...start now, and if you are lucky you wont even remember Wednesday coming and going. :limb:

foreverducky
24-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Hmmm....look at that. I used a word that needed stars. Just an fyi: I used the c-word, not s-word. :D

Johnie
25-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Sending you lots of pixie dust!!

Wendy
25-09-2012, 01:33 AM
So sorry to hear this Tom :hug2: :hug2:

Mari
26-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Big hug and prayers headed your way for tomorrow

Tink
26-09-2012, 01:46 AM

Wendy
26-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Will be thinking of you today Tom. Hope it isn't too uncomfortable for you :hug2:

catrancher
26-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Will be thinking of you today Tom. Hope it isn't too uncomfortable for you :hug2:

Thanks Wendy. Right now however, I'm just wondering if I'll starve to death first since I haven't been able to have anything to eat or drink since midnight and the procedure isn't till about 1:00PM this afternoon.

I'm a growing boy. I need my nourishment!

Tom (:macwave:... if I can't have food, then gimme them drugs!)

Beccaberry
26-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Sending you massive amounts of pixie dust to munch on while you wait, my friend. My dad is in for a PET scan this morning and hasn't been able to eat since 5 yesterday...apparently he's been regaling my mother with LISTS of food that he will be consuming once the test is over! She told me a few minutes ago, "Apparently we will be eating our way back home!"

Sending you love and light, Tom.

catrancher
26-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Best to your dad Becca! Hope it all comes out positively for him. :fingers:

apparently he's been regaling my mother with LISTS of food that he will be consuming once the test is over! She told me a few minutes ago, "Apparently we will be eating our way back home!"

Tell him I sympathize. I mentioned to my DW this morning that after my procedure, assuming I wasn't too catatonic, I might like to go to IHOP and gorge myself on a largeish breakfast. She reminded me that I'm not allowed out in public till they get my white count sorted out as I'm prone to infections. Too bad. I sure could taste that coffee, eggs, and Cinnabon french toast slices.

Oh well, guess it'll have to be the drive through somewhere. :sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... of the restricted public appearances...)

Watchinherskip
26-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Tom, I know you will come through like a champ! You know you will be in our thoughts and prayers at the Skip's house.

Beccaberry
26-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Tom. You scoundrel. I'm off work today in observance of Yom Kippur and had quite honestly considered not even getting out of bed today...and NOW I'm going to have to, because I want IHOP!!!!

catrancher
26-09-2012, 01:05 PM
because I want IHOP!!!!

:happydance: :happydance:

Tom (:macwave:... my job here is done!)

uscwest
26-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Tom. You scoundrel. I'm off work today in observance of Yom Kippur and had quite honestly considered not even getting out of bed today...and NOW I'm going to have to, because I want IHOP!!!!

Say WHAT? And I DON'T mean the IHOP part.

uscwest
26-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Tom, wishing you all the best today. Hope they can get to the root of your problem.

foreverducky
26-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Am thinking of you today!

You will surely deserve any and all food you desire. Just an fyi, I believe IHOP has it where you can call in an order and then go pick it up. Just a thought!

lisaw
26-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Hope it goes well today, will be thinking of you. Can you get take out IHOP? :unsure:

Suebeattie
26-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Hope all went well today tom! Surely ihop could have done a takeout for you ;)

catrancher
27-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, it's the next day and I'm back from the hinterlands of the dreaded bone marrow biopsy. :shocked:

I have to say, the concern I had was unfounded. Yes, I was starving to death. We figured out yesterday that was a foregone conclusion. But when it came time for the actual procedure, it was a different story.

We got to the hospital about 11:30 yesterday morning. They did the usual paperwork nightmare and then had a seat in the waiting area. Of course, during this time, your mind gets to play all sorts of exciting games with you. Games like "Look at the size of that needle". Or, the ever popular "You're not sticking that thing in me are you?". Or even the old, "Are you sure it's sharp?". Anyway, imaginary games over, I'm called to go back. DW trots along to keep me company. Next stop, the radiology nursing department where DW and I are put in a little area that has the usual hospital type gurney and curtains separating it from the rest of the world. I'm instructed to remove all my clothes and all my dignity and put on one of those silly hospital gowns that you can never get closed right. Inevitably, some portion or other of your anatomy is left hanging out in the breeze. If you try to cover that which is out, all you seem to be able to do is get something else to appear. Eventually, you give up, have a lie down on the gurney and pull what passes for the blanket up over you to do the job the hospital gown had so far, completely failed to do.

Time passes.

Eventually, a nurse pops in laden with all kinds of parts and pieces that are soon to become additional appendages that will stick out of you body in various places. Did I mention that most of these things she has are sharp? But first, being the nice nurse she is, she decides that I look a bit nervous. She extends a medicine cup to me with two little pills in it. Instructions are specific. Don't chew, don't swallow. Just let them lie under your tongue and dissolve. Ahhh... Ativan, you are a friendly pill. Being a good fellow, I do as instructed and soon feel my brain departs my body for parts unknown. So, significantly more relaxed, I extend my right arm and the search begins for a viable vein for the IV. You know. The big, fat ones that are just shouting out to have something sharp stuck in them. Now, credit due here to the nurse. She was extremely skilled. Yes, she started an IV, but to be honest I hardly felt it at all. As a side benefit, her choice of vein was so good, that she was able to use the IV lead to extract blood they needed for a blood test as a precursor to the actual test. This pleased me as it meant that when the lady from the lab showed up to stick more sharp things into my body and draw blood, I was able to tell her to go away, the nurse had already accomplished this and I was all out of blood for the moment. This statement was duly verified and the nice lady from the lab went scampering away to find another victim to stick sharp, pointed objects into.

More time passes.

Finally, yet another nurse shows up. This one a fine fellow. And also quite nice. He's there to take me to where the procedure will occur. So, over the river and through the wood, to the CT scan room we go. Seems they want to have an accurate picture of where to do the deed and feel that a picture just might possibly be a bit better than guesswork. I would have to heartily agree. They ask me if I can transfer over to the scan table by myself. I mumble something incoherent (God bless Ativan), and begin the slide over. Once there, I get situated on my stomach with my arms extended over my head. Reasonably comfortable, I glance over and smile at the nurse just as he's injecting something in my IV. Then I...

have no idea. None. Zero. Zip.

Next thing I know is I'm back in the little nurse room that I started out from and various people (including my DW) are yelling at me telling me to wake up.

My only questions are twofold, when are we going to do this procedure and when can I eat? I'm then informed that the answers to my questions are:

It's already done.
As soon as you can get dressed and get out of here.

Really quite amazing. I didn't feel a thing. And I've only got a band aid on my backside to show for it. There's a mild ache from the bone at the site of the test but really, not much of anything. I'm grateful to the hospital staff for their care and professionalism. Also, for realizing I was a wimp and accommodating me appropriately (quick, pass the Ativan).

So, DW driving, it's off to the nearest fast food place for something to stuff in my mouth. Turns out to be Arby's and a Reuben sandwich.
Best food I ever ate. :yes:
The remainder of the day was spent in a nether world of mild catatonia. But I sure slept good last night. :thumbsup:

Now I've just got to wait a week for the results. :fingers: there's good information there!

Tom (:macwave:... feels much better today!)

Beccaberry
27-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for update, Tom. So glad to hear things went as well as could be expected. We'll all be here awaiting the results...and eating Arby's for lunch :)

catrancher
27-09-2012, 02:47 PM
...and eating Arby's for lunch :)

Thought you were going to IHOP? :unsure:
Till this gets sorted out, I'm the only one restricted to the drive through. :sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... still thinking Cinnabon french toast!)

foreverducky
27-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Good hospital staff can make all the difference! :yes: (and some drugs)

How long is the wait for the results?

catrancher
27-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Good hospital staff can make all the difference! :yes: (and some drugs)

Yes. That's very true. Especially the bit about the drugs. :thumbsup:

How long is the wait for the results?

Another appointment with the hematologist a week from today. They won't have the complete results by then though. Supposedly, the complete results takes upwards of 16 days. So, I get to sit and wait for a bit.

Tom (:macwave:... time marches on...)

Slowhand
27-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I`m so glad to see that you survived the ordeal [relatively] unscathed Tom.
A good sense of humour is essential at times like this eh?
Hopefully the worse is over now and that you will get some really good news when the results are through.

Now, about that next cruise. :champers1:

catrancher
27-09-2012, 03:30 PM
I`m so glad to see that you survived the ordeal [relatively] unscathed Tom.

Thanks Terry! The buildup in my mind turned out to be much worse than the actual procedure. No surprise there huh? But the real thanks here go to the hospital staff. They were incredibly kind and supportive.

A good sense of humour is essential at times like this eh?

Beyond essential. It's mandatory. Every time I go into something like this, I try to get the doctors or the staff laughing in one way or another. I figure that if they're happy, I stand a much better chance at being happy too!

Hopefully the worse is over now and that you will get some really good news when the results are through.

I hope! :fingers:
Just wish I didn' t have to wait a whole week to find out.

Now, about that next cruise. :champers1:

Talk to me lad, talk to me. :yes:
Shall we torture Keith about it also? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... taking it easy today.)

SleepinCatz
27-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Grea Jumpin CatzinJammies! What a time you have had Tom! Loads of good thoughts and pixie dust headin your way Good Sir!

Britchick
27-09-2012, 05:15 PM
i'm glad you had a relatively un traumatic procedure. Fingers crossed indeed for good results. Look after yourself :hug2:

uscwest
27-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Tom, you have a great sense of humour about you. The waiting that long would really be nerve wracking though I would think. Hope that all is OK. Now when and where is this cruise?

catrancher
27-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Now when and where is this cruise?

Beats me John! :unsure:

With all the doctor bills I'm piling up, my cruise may end up being more of a medical evacuation rather than vacation. :shocked:

Tom (:macwave:... hope springs eternal and all that...)

Suebeattie
27-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Ah bless you tom! It's lovely to hear that the procedure went as well as could be expected and that your sense of humor is helping you though it all.
Lots of good thoughts and prayers going your way for next week :D

Johnie
27-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Oh goodness Tom! I had what was said to be a "minor" outpatient procedure at the beginning of Aug. yeah they had me hooked up like I was going for full on surgery. The anesthesiologist said its only "minor" when your on their side. Exactly.

Just an FYI, you can get real Cinnabons from Burger King now. And there really is nothing mini about their size!

Too weird though, I had IHOP for dinner tonight.

Tink
28-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks so much for the update Tom. Good to hear it went as well as it did. :yes: :hug2:

Wendy
28-09-2012, 02:21 AM
Thank you for letting us know Tom :hug2:

Now you just make sure you do as your told and stay away from people and look after yourself :hug2:

Mari
28-09-2012, 04:48 PM
so glad it wasnt gairy, as it sounded at first :hug2:

I hope you can get some answers soon Tom

Sam
29-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the update mate.

Only you can make me smile whilst reading your report of your experience at being a human pin cushion, if it was me I would have had to be sedated in the car park. (Pathetic me). :poke:

Sam
02-10-2012, 05:10 PM
How are you doing my lovely... any news?

catrancher
02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks Sam! But no. No news yet. :tapnails:

Physically, I feel fine. My usual ornery self. Next appointment with the heamtologist is this Thursday so should have some info then.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom (:macwave:... still with the fingers crossed :fingers:)

Sam
02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
I'll be thinking of you Thursday. You keep being your ornery self and keep yourself well. :yes:

Deafjeff
03-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Got my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Dorothy
03-10-2012, 07:56 PM
:hug2: And love from me too :hug2:

lozzy
03-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Really hope you get some positive news.
I really can't imagine how your feeling, it's bad enough waiting to hear from you as to what is wrong.
Sending you positive thoughts and lots of hugs.

Britchick
03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
really hoping you'll be back here tomorrow night with a comical tale and an end to all this! :hug2:

Slowhand
03-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Best of luck for tomorrow my friend.
I`ve every confidence that all will be well. :yes:

foreverducky
03-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Good luck tomorrow...will be thinking of you!

uscwest
03-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Best wishes for tomorrow Tom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tink
04-10-2012, 12:06 AM
:hug2: Pulling for you Tom. :hug2: You'll be on my mind (and therefore, I'll be with you!). Now, there's a concept! :D :hug2:

Wendy
04-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Thinking of you tomorrow Tom :hug2: Hope you get some good news :hug2:

catrancher
04-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks all for the good wishes and pixie dust! Once again... :yes:

it worked! :happydance:

The biopsy results came back and much to everyone's astonishment, I'm normal. Or as normal as I get. At least from a bone marrow perspective anyway.

Current thinking is that one of my other medications might be causing this. I'm on a couple that have a possibility of doing that. So, we're eliminating one of the medications for a bit, giving it a couple of weeks to get out of my system and then will check the blood counts again. If the first one doesn't do it, there's a second medication we may try to remove. If that doesn't work, I don't know what's next but at least there's a next to worry about now.

So thanks for all your good thoughts, prayers and pixie dust. You don't know how much I've appreciated you all during this time. While we don't have a complete answer yet, at least we're in a better spot than we thought we might be.

Tom (:macwave:... one relieved puppy!)

lozzy
04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm so pleased for you, let's hope it's due to medication.
If it is one of the two medications will that cause any problems for you?

Britchick
04-10-2012, 07:32 PM
really glad Tom :hug2: hug your family from me too!

catrancher
04-10-2012, 07:37 PM
If it is one of the two medications will that cause any problems for you?

It shouldn't. There are loads of alternatives available. We just need to figure out if that's indeed what's causing it. If it is, and it's something I continue to need, there are other medications available that can substitute.

Tom (:macwave:... feeling significantly better!)

lisaw
04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Really glad to hear that Tom! Hope you get some simple answers soon :hug2:

lozzy
04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
It shouldn't. There are loads of alternatives available. We just need to figure out if that's indeed what's causing it. If it is, and it's something I continue to need, there are other medications available that can substitute.

Tom (:macwave:... feeling significantly better!)

Oh that's good.
Medication can be the root of so many problems.

DisneyFreak
04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
That's great news Tom!!

Sam
04-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Great news Tom, woo hoo. :yes: Let us know of any changes. :hug2:

Tink
05-10-2012, 01:16 AM
:tralala: LET'S DANCE!!!! Put on your red shoes...! I am SO relieved! :yes: You were on my mind all day. Sure do hope it's a quick determination to find which med is the culprit. :yes: :hug2:

foreverducky
05-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Excellent news! What a relief!

Johnie
05-10-2012, 03:06 AM
Awesome news!!!

Wendy
05-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Brilliant news Tom I am over the moon you have good news :hug2:

Now get the naughty medication sorted out and you can start planning a cruise. Maybe best to just start with the ihop possibly :D

Isafari
05-10-2012, 06:00 AM
great news :hug2:

Mags
05-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Excellent news!

Mags

Shellyamc
05-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Such good news :hug2:

Watchinherskip
05-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Absolutely Fantastic! That is such great news Tom!

uscwest
05-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Pardon my language, but that on FANDAMTASTIC news.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

catrancher
05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Hmmm...

Curiouser and curiouser... :cheshire:

Just back from my GP who originally found this issue. He reviewed the information from the hematologist and we talked. During the course of that conversation, I mentioned that the hematologist had said that my indicators for rheumatoid arthritis were off the charts even though I don't present with any symptoms and she wanted me to see a rheumatologist. He checked my chart, got a big smile on his face, and you'd have though I hit him with a cattle prod. He got real excited and almost started dancing from foot to foot. He's mumbling things like "I like it. I really like it", all the while typing madly on his little computer with one hand and filling out forms with the other. Then of course, his nurse comes back in to stick sharp pointed objects in my body once again and withdraw some more of that which should have remained inside. :unimpressed:

As it turns out, even though I don't have any outward signs of rheumatoid arthritis, I still may be harboring it. And more importantly, it can have a significant detrimental effect on your white cell count. So the sharp pointed bit was to start working on the necessary diagnostic panel. They're also setting me up to see a rheumatologist. Who'd a thunk? :unsure:

I think this means I'm rare. Do you suppose I can charge admission? :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... poked and prodded yet again...)

Watchinherskip
05-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Could be an E ticket!

Dawn
05-10-2012, 06:33 PM
:mental: :mental: :mental:

Slowhand
05-10-2012, 08:11 PM
What did I tell you Tom? I knew that all would be ok, and for that I am really pleased for you. It must be a heck of a relief if that ain`t an understatement.
Really good news, fantastic. :banana:

Now, about that cruise.....

SleepinCatz
05-10-2012, 08:26 PM
:flounder::flounder::flounder:

arkvilla
06-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Sorry I'm late catching up with all your health news Tom but I'm so pleased everything is ok.

Sometimes things like this make us 'see' what is really important :yes:

Have a lovely weekend everyone

Sandra

catrancher
06-10-2012, 12:49 PM
It must be a heck of a relief if that ain`t an understatement.

That understatement in and of itself is a heck of an understatement! :yes:
Relief doesn't even begin to cover it.

Now, about that cruise.....

:sail: Let's go!

Tom (:macwave:... relieved!)

Deb
06-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Just popping in to say "Hurrah!!!" :D

Dorothy
06-10-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm so glad/relievedhappy (all those there adjectives) that it's nothing more serious!!

Suebeattie
10-10-2012, 07:05 AM
So happy that all is well and you finally know what is going on :)

Beccaberry
11-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Have been away for a bit as of late, but looked for your thread immediately upon returning...so very happy to return to positive news, my friend!!!

:tralala: :tralala:

Sam
13-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Hmmm...

Curiouser and curiouser... :cheshire:

Just back from my GP who originally found this issue. He reviewed the information from the hematologist and we talked. During the course of that conversation, I mentioned that the hematologist had said that my indicators for rheumatoid arthritis were off the charts even though I don't present with any symptoms and she wanted me to see a rheumatologist. He checked my chart, got a big smile on his face, and you'd have though I hit him with a cattle prod. He got real excited and almost started dancing from foot to foot. He's mumbling things like "I like it. I really like it", all the while typing madly on his little computer with one hand and filling out forms with the other. Then of course, his nurse comes back in to stick sharp pointed objects in my body once again and withdraw some more of that which should have remained inside. :unimpressed:

As it turns out, even though I don't have any outward signs of rheumatoid arthritis, I still may be harboring it. And more importantly, it can have a significant detrimental effect on your white cell count. So the sharp pointed bit was to start working on the necessary diagnostic panel. They're also setting me up to see a rheumatologist. Who'd a thunk? :unsure:

I think this means I'm rare. Do you suppose I can charge admission? :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... poked and prodded yet again...)

Hmmm, rare you say.....could be potential there. You could earn yourself some pennies by hiring out your body. For experiments I mean not for anything else - not unless you want to of course. :wink5::wink5:

catrancher
13-10-2012, 12:07 PM
not unless you want to of course. :wink5::wink5:

nudge, nudge. Say no more. :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:.. pennies? :snooty:)

Tink
13-10-2012, 12:34 PM
:laughabove:

Sam
13-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Tom (:macwave:.. pennies? :snooty:)[/QUOTE]

Sorry I should have put cents.

The other half said that I would be lucky to get buttons let alone pennies, cents or anything else for that matter. No need to be so hurtful me thinks.

Never mind I will reap my rewengy :t1408: Of course I shall wait until he's finished paying for our next disney trip. :yes: