PDA

View Full Version : Happy iOS 6 day

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 07:00 AM
:)

what do we reckon 6pm in the UK?

lozzy
19-09-2012, 07:08 AM
That sounds about right, I remember being at work when the last one came out.
But then it will be hours before we can download as everyone will be doing it,:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esmeralda
19-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Keh?

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 07:22 AM
I will then keep Lisa and the baby awake all night asking Siri a neverending stream of stupid questions and waking Lisa to hear the answers :)

keith
19-09-2012, 07:29 AM
I will then keep Lisa and the baby awake all night asking Siri a neverending stream of stupid questions and waking Lisa to hear the answers :)

:lol:

It's a nice upgrade! yeah I reckon about 6 but I've been surprised in the past when it's arrived earlier.

The panorama feature on the camera is implemented particularly nicely IMHO.

twitter/facebook and sharing generally much better to use.

yeah, pretty good all in all :)

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Its a strange turn of events but in recent weeks I have been using my phone far more than my iPad for things - I used twitter a lot for the olympics and the badger cull and it works really nicely in the hand

Wherever I go in technology I always seem to come back to the iPhone for certain things, it just feels rock solid and reliable to me

I am also hoping iOS 6 being downloaded will clear my irritating landscape camera bug on my iPad - otherwise I will have to make the trek to an apple store

keith
19-09-2012, 07:58 AM
That really echoes Apple's response to "crumbs, the iphone5 didn't bring much new to the table". Apple feel that they already have the best smartphone. They feel the technology is right and the most usable out there so they spent effort on consolidating it, making sure the batter life was good, the design/build were awesome and so on instead of throwing in never used features. Certainly whenever I try a new android phone with a football field for a screen and whizzy features, I end up coming back to the iphone.

In other words, a mature product.

(does make you wonder what they'll do for next year's upgrade though :lol: )

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 08:12 AM
well if I'm honest ( and i really know very little about these things so from a lay point of view) I'd like to see the end of the home button - it is one of the only real irritations with me with the iPhone on the 2 I have owned so far it seems to be the 'weak' point sometimes it doesn't register the clicks or the 'double click' and I know its been a common place for faults

make the screen bigger and use a 2 fingered swipe to unlock /pull up the apps open bar like you do on the ipad.

That would be all I'd change at the moment

keith
19-09-2012, 08:34 AM
well if I'm honest ( and i really know very little about these things so from a lay point of view) I'd like to see the end of the home button - it is one of the only real irritations with me with the iPhone on the 2 I have owned so far it seems to be the 'weak' point sometimes it doesn't register the clicks or the 'double click' and I know its been a common place for faults

it IS a common place for faults you're right :( but I dont want to lose it. It centres my hand because of the contouring. I don't know if you've used a smartphone without a proper button but I find it very fiddly and often end up touching the wrong button.

Most people thought that Apple were going to ditch it this time around, it's just a matter of time

make the screen bigger and use a 2 fingered swipe to unlock /pull up the apps open bar like you do on the ipad.

yeah sort of surprised that doesnt work now to be honest. Screen... I just don't know. The Samsung S3 has an amazing screen and when I look at it for a few mins I love it. Try to use it day to day though and it's a two handed job for sure which just isn't as slick as the iphone. Any larger and I think it'll lose that feel

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Agree the S3 looks amazing, not a bad touch interface - all nice and whizzy

just far far too large to be practical - wont fit in my pocket and - well I need a phone to fit in my pocket

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 08:43 AM
oh and by 'makuing the screen bigger' I only meant to occupy the space vacated by the home button- heck even make it 'virtual' in that area

keith
19-09-2012, 08:54 AM
oh and by 'makuing the screen bigger' I only meant to occupy the space vacated by the home button- heck even make it 'virtual' in that area

oooo I see sure :) yeah that makes sense

I still want my physical home button but I do think the next model will see that go

Beccaberry
19-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Gimmeee, gimmeeee, gimmmeeee

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 10:58 AM
:unsure:

A man after midnight?

Shelter?

All your lovin', all your hugs and kisses too?

Beccaberry
19-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Yes...to all the above.

But only after I've downloaded iOS 6 ;-)

Priorities and all that...

keith
19-09-2012, 11:03 AM
:lol:

uscwest
19-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Is iOS 6 just for the iPhone or also the iPad?

catrancher
19-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Is iOS 6 just for the iPhone or also the iPad?

It's for the iPad too John. Although it's not for the first generation iPad.

Tom (:macwave:... which is mine. Naturally.)

Britchick
19-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Another vote for 6pm too!

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I shall be working until gone 10 grrrrrrrr

uscwest
19-09-2012, 01:17 PM
By first generation do you mean the original Tom? I have the iPad 2.

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 01:21 PM
it will update the iPad 2 John yes :yes:

catrancher
19-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I got mine! :happydance: :HamsterDance: :happydance:

Tom (:macwave:... IO, IO, it's IOS 6 I go!)

Britchick
19-09-2012, 08:04 PM
All up to date...no probs

Claire
19-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Am I right in thinking that if I update an iPad 2 it'll remove google maps and replace it with something else?

catrancher
19-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Am I right in thinking that if I update an iPad 2 it'll remove google maps and replace it with something else?

Yep! You'll get Apple's new map app (which I like so far). But if you want to use Google Maps, just go to maps.google.com and you'll have them back. Granted, with a different interface but it's still Google maps.

Tom(:macwave:... I like it!)

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Taking an age to download.

Wonder if google maps will do an 'app' at some point or are relations too strained for that ?

catrancher
19-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Wonder if google maps will do an 'app' at some point or are relations too strained for that ?

Make one yourself! When you go to the Google map website, just hit the box in the bottom center of the screen. One of the options it gives you is "Save to Home Screen". Hit that and you're in business. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... still liking it!)

keith
19-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Taking an age to download.

Well the problem is, Apple developer regulations say that they can deny any app which does nothing more than wholly or substantially reproduce native capabilities of the phone.

In other words, if they DID say here's a google apps alternative, Apple COULD say no, the phone comes with a maps app.

Now, whether they WOULD say no is a different question. There are navigation apps etc

Don't know, it's very political. From google's perspective though yeah I'm sure they'd want to be on the iphone, it would be Apple who'd stop it.

Beccaberry
19-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Sitting in traffic...soooooo ready to be home and have a play!!! Stupid job!

Skywatcher
19-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Failed at the 5th attempt ho hum will try again tomorrow, have to pass out now

uscwest
19-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Ok how do I get it? Went to app store but not there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beccaberry
20-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Go to Settings --> General --> Software Update

That should get you started.

lozzy
20-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Not a happy bunny, what is wrong with the maps, this is all I get,
12745.vB

Britchick
20-09-2012, 06:09 AM
I like the clock, I often get up at differen times and you set it like a calendar

Claire
20-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Yep! You'll get Apple's new map app (which I like so far). But if you want to use Google Maps, just go to maps.google.com and you'll have them back. Granted, with a different interface but it's still Google maps.

Tom(:macwave:... I like it!)

Ah. Not good! Thanks Tom.

Skywatcher
20-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Hmm maps not great in the uk a step back.

iPad has been a disaster. It has a fault which means it has never managed to backup despite going through all solutions given by apple. Unable to update over wifi do plugged into iTunes which needs a backup before updating. Tried restoring settings one last time and that crashed the iPad out bigtime into a loop do I've had to restore it as an entirely new iPad. Thank god the cloud keeps all my documents :(

lozzy
20-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Is there anyway to go back to ISO 5? I really hate this update.

catrancher
20-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Is there anyway to go back to ISO 5? I really hate this update.

Hmm... maybe. But it's dangerous. First, a question. Do you have a backup (either locally or to iCloud) of your iPhone? Either an iCloud one or a local one in iTunes.

Second question. How brave are you?

Third question (I should know this one): Are you on a Mac or a Windoze pc?

Keep in mind that sooner or later, you're probably going to have to go to IOS 6.

Tom (:macwave:... then we can get to the scary stuff.)

Beccaberry
20-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Meh. I'm not as impressed as I'd hoped. Granted, the fact that I'm still on an iPhone 4 is quite possibly the reason, which leaves A LOT of the new features missing...but...let's just say I'm glad I didn't skip the bar last night to get home and d/l it faster. Maybe when I move to the 5...

Deafjeff
20-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Not impressed with the IOS6 I'm quite serious about moving to android now :sorry:

lozzy
20-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Hmm... maybe. But it's dangerous. First, a question. Do you have a backup (either locally or to iCloud) of your iPhone? Either an iCloud one or a local one in iTunes.

Second question. How brave are you?

Third question (I should know this one): Are you on a Mac or a Windoze pc?

Keep in mind that sooner or later, you're probably going to have to go to IOS 6.

Tom (:macwave:... then we can get to the scary stuff.)

I might be small but I'm brave.
Backup on iTunes.
Sorry I'm a pc still, not completely apple converted yet.

catrancher
20-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I might be small but I'm brave.
Backup on iTunes.
Sorry I'm a pc still, not completely apple converted yet.

Ok. Here we go.

:mental:
Warning! Warning! Warning!
Danger, Will Robinson!
Proceed at your own risk.
:shocked:

If this fails or gets screwed up, you may need to take your iPhone to the resident Apple store genius to get sorted.

If you're sure you want to go ahead, instructions can be found here (http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/18/downgrade-ios-6-beta-to-ios-5/). These say IOS 6 Beta but they'd be the same for the release version. Out of the various sets of instructions on the internet, this one seemed to be the clearest.

Keep in mind, I have never done this so I can't speak to it's accuracy. I know that these same steps are referenced on many other internet sites. Based on my knowledge, they "sound" right. I just can't personally validate them.

But, but, but, but. Before you do.

Can't you just save the "maps.google.com" location to your Home Screen and then you'd have your Google Maps back as an icon you can just use instead of the Apple Maps app? I mentioned the steps to do this before but if you missed them, here they are again:

Open "maps.google.com" in Safari.
At the bottom of the screen in the middle, click the little redirect arrow 12747.vB
From the menu that pops up, choose "Add to Home Screen".

Now you've got an icon that will act just like an app and take you directly to Google Maps.

I'd really rather do that than try to restore IOS 5.1.1. But that's me. Your mileage may vary.

Tom (:macwave:... just don't blame me or say I didn't warn you!)

lozzy
20-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks.
I'm going to give it a few days to see if Ivan get used to the changes, if not then I will have to try and downgrade.
I wouldn't mind but I use maps a lot due to work.

keith
20-09-2012, 04:26 PM
yeah people really dont seem to like maps much :( I must admit I never used them all that much so I guess I don't feel that.

I really dont like android.. but windows mobile 8 will be interesting for those who have gone off the iphone

catrancher
20-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks.
I'm going to give it a few days to see if Ivan get used to the changes, if not then I will have to try and downgrade.
I wouldn't mind but I use maps a lot due to work.

Then try the Google Maps fix I suggested above. It acts just like an app and works quite well. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... try it. You'll like it!)

catrancher
20-09-2012, 04:50 PM
yeah people really dont seem to like maps much :(

Yep. Seems to be quite a few issues with it over there on your side of the pond.

The Irish seem to be especially put out that Airfield now actually is (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0920/breaking20.html). :ROFL:

Not one of Apple's finer moments. :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... non-cartographic type person.)

Britchick
20-09-2012, 04:56 PM
arrgggghhhh bloomin iphone battery drained in 4 hours!

keith
20-09-2012, 04:57 PM
In a way i dont want to be too negative but I think after all the praising I do of Apple, it's right and proper to comment when they do something wrong.

This is all because of "issues" with google. They do this from time to time, they get personal with newspaper reviewers and stop inviting them to future events. They dislike companies and so drop them completely... they do act a little spoilt from time to time and I think this is one of those times. Doesnt seem like their maps was REALLY ready but they steamed ahead to try and hurt google at the expense of users. Not good.

catrancher
20-09-2012, 05:03 PM
This is all because of "issues" with google. They do this from time to time, they get personal with newspaper reviewers and stop inviting them to future events. They dislike companies and so drop them completely... they do act a little spoilt from time to time and I think this is one of those times. Doesnt seem like their maps was REALLY ready but they steamed ahead to try and hurt google at the expense of users. Not good.

+1

This is one area where they need to stop acting like Steve Jobs and grow up.

Tom (:macwave:... they do act like spoiled brats sometimes.)

Skywatcher
20-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Ok slowly rebuilding my iPad

The maps were ok when out and about today but there is zero satellite images for our corner of Britain , not a gimmick for me as I always found photos a really useful aid when looking for things on foot, not so much driving

Had an problem with iCloud syncing but think I have finally got that sorted

Lost all my videos and photos taken with my iPad :(

Siri is great on the iPad and enjoying that

On the phone earlier there seemed to be a massive battery drain from 20% down to 0 in about an hour and I had nothing turned on at all, hmm

lozzy
20-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Am I also right in thinking You Tube has also gone,

catrancher
20-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Am I also right in thinking You Tube has also gone,

The Apple Youtube app is gone. But Google has put their own out. Just search the app store for YouTube and it'll come up.

Tom (:macwave:... works pretty good.)

Beccaberry
20-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Again I say, MEH.

I will say I've enjoyed the update more on the iPad, than the iPhone. But otherwise, meh :)

Deafjeff
20-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Again I say, MEH.

I will say I've enjoyed the update more on the iPad, than the iPhone. But otherwise, meh :)

Ooohh will have a look over the weekend. Not sure what to think of Apple new map app ho hum....

Skywatcher
21-09-2012, 08:47 AM
OK slept on it , long day farting about rebuilding the iPad but its running so much better now, clearly picked up a rather significant bug early on . Not sure why it never backed up but there were none in the preferences of iTunes and it would always freeze trying to back up to the cloud as well

Anyway a complete wipe and reboot and all is well and it is now backing up. Shame about the photos and videos, game progress etc

iOS 6 much better on iPad than phone but then it wasn't really made for the 4 I suppose

Realsing I used maps far more than I thought I did and in my little backwater of the country they are really very poor I am sad to say - will link to gopogle maps as Tom said until fixed - I am sure Apple has been made painfully aware of their shortcomings in the last few hours

A youtube app is avaliable on the iphone already

Siri is astonishing , having never played with it before - massively impressed

Anyone else having battery issues on their iPhone 4?

lozzy
21-09-2012, 08:51 AM
My iPhone 4 and D.F iPhone 4's batteries are draining very quickly

Britchick
21-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Yes I am still, you still having battery issues after restore?

Skywatcher
21-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Actually its quite alarming the rate of loss - I have no apps open and no bluetooth on etc and I can watch the % numbers dropping at a rate of one every 20 seconds or so

Hope the 5 isn't like this

Britchick
21-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Mine seems a little better this morning can't remember what I did. Internet seems a little faster on wifi

catrancher
21-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Anyone else having battery issues on their iPhone 4?

I haven't noticed anything too out of the ordinary at all. Battery life seems to be about what it was before. :shrug:

Tom (:macwave:... juiced up.)

Deafjeff
21-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Same here nothing too dramatic

Beccaberry
21-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Ditto.

Skywatcher
21-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Ditto.

Hmm bizzare then :unsure: - only thing I have on is location services

Ah well 5 on its way with any luck

Not sure about whether to upgrade Lisas 4 yet

Wendy
21-09-2012, 02:11 PM
I've not had any problems either, though time will tell once we are out and about later today.

catrancher
21-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Just as a point of reference, my 4 has been sitting here in my office next to me for the past 6 hours. I'm currently down to 95% battery. It may be that's only because my wireless router is right here also so the phone isn't using much oomph to get to the network. I dunno.

Tom (:macwave:... charged up...)

Skywatcher
21-09-2012, 06:29 PM
well I don't know what to say - sat by the side of me this afternoon it went from 100% down to 56% in 4 1/2 hours doing nothing whatsoever. :unsure:

catrancher
21-09-2012, 06:35 PM
well I don't know what to say - sat by the side of me this afternoon it went from 100% down to 56% in 4 1/2 hours doing nothing whatsoever. :unsure:

Bizarre. :surrender:

Tom (:macwave:... I must finally be living right!)

Beccaberry
21-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Yeah, I charged mine totally on the drive into work, and in the same amount of time (and use) I'm still at 94%. There's clearly something going on there with yours....

Full disclosure, I do not have my wifi enabled right now (I don't like to be on-network at the office).

josh.p.
23-09-2012, 07:23 PM
I used the Google YouTube app straight away as soon as it came out as I've never liked Apple's version. Maps, I haven't used but I relied on the Google version quite a lot. Street view, as Chris said, was really useful to me so I don't know why they haven't kept Google Map's simply for that.

I can say for the first time in a long time I am NOT impressed with Apple. This is almost as bad as when Vista when rushed!

lozzy
23-09-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm surprised how much I use google maps, It's mainly for work.
I can't believe apple can just remove something that must be greatly used and replace it with a very outdated alternative.
I said to someone earlier, it like buying a car with an added extra which you really want for it to be removed buy the dealers at a later date.

Skywatcher
23-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Agree very very poor. Posted this earlier. Was in Brighton in the rain looking for Pizza Hut. Luckily we saw it rather than following the directions on the phone ( we go this a lot in unfamiliar towns) apple was out by a country mile http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/24/y4e9uzev.jpg

This was taken inside Pizza Hut !

lozzy
23-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Agree very very poor. Posted this earlier. Was in Brighton in the rain looking for Pizza Hut. Luckily we saw it rather than following the directions on the phone ( we go this a lot in unfamiliar towns) apple was out by a country mile http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/24/y4e9uzev.jpg

This was taken inside Pizza Hut !

Crazy, I know it's only one thing on the phone, but boy has it made me regret updating my phone. I haven't even done my iPad.

Deafjeff
24-09-2012, 05:51 AM
My map struggled to get the correct location but after few minutes it reverted to the correct location.

Hopefully Apple will be able to update the map quickly.

Jodash
24-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Updated IPad phone next how long will it take.

keith
24-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Updated IPad phone next how long will it take.

anywhere from 30mins to 3hrs depending on your device

Skywatcher
24-09-2012, 06:35 PM
iOS 6 allows cloning rather terrifyinglyhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/25/yremyqup.jpg

catrancher
24-09-2012, 06:45 PM
iOS 6 allows cloning rather terrifyinglyhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/25/yremyqup.jpg

My God! Triplets! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... oh sanity, where for art thou?)

Skywatcher
24-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Lol Thomas took this when he nicked my phone , only just found it in the album :)

catrancher
25-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I haven't noticed anything too out of the ordinary at all. Battery life seems to be about what it was before. :shrug:)

Stop press. :mental:

Yesterday evening, I was just sitting in my chair and picked up my iPhone to quickly check email.
Battery display indicated that it was down to about 40%. And I hadn't been using it at all yesterday. :shocked:

So, last night before it went on the charger, I rebooted the whole thing. Then checked to make sure all my settings were as I wanted them. So far today, it seems to be holding it's charge.

We'll see how it goes today. :fingers:

Tom (:macwave:... out of energy...)

Beccaberry
25-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Some of you may get a chuckle out of this:

The Most Horrifying Landscapes of the New iPhone 5 Maps Program (http://www.happyplace.com/17967/the-most-horrifying-landscapes-of-the-new-iphone-5-maps-progam)

catrancher
25-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Some of you may get a chuckle out of this:

The Most Horrifying Landscapes of the New iPhone 5 Maps Program (http://www.happyplace.com/17967/the-most-horrifying-landscapes-of-the-new-iphone-5-maps-progam)

:ROFL:

FAIL!

Tom (:macwave:... needs a bit of work. N'est-ce pas?)

Britchick
25-09-2012, 05:23 PM
the worlds gone all bendy!

josh.p.
25-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I wish they could have just added their sat nav aspect to the Google Maps, as the sat nav system is really good and in itself (if it had the good maps service to support it) would have been a revolution :)

keith
25-09-2012, 08:50 PM
I wish they could have just added their sat nav aspect to the Google Maps, as the sat nav system is really good and in itself (if it had the good maps service to support it) would have been a revolution :)

yeah interestingly I went into work today and made a joke about the maps and the sales and marketing directors said they found the new turn by turn absolutely brilliant! had been using it all weekend and found it superb

Skywatcher
25-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Sure its brilliant if you live in a part of Britain they have mapped ;)

There is also no satellite images for our part of the world either, released way too soon for me.

Watchinherskip
26-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Downloaded IO6 on my iPad3. Don't see what the fuss is about for the most part. I was maybe expecting the clouds to part but to me aside from the clock, and maps, don't really see why I even updated the software. Haven't tried the SIRI thing. I was dissapointed that the camera won't do the panoramas like the phone is supposed to do.

What's the buzz...tell me whats a happenin

keith
26-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Downloaded IO6 on my iPad3. Don't see what the fuss is about for the most part. I was maybe expecting the clouds to part but to me aside from the clock, and maps, don't really see why I even updated the software. Haven't tried the SIRI thing. I was dissapointed that the camera won't do the panoramas like the phone is supposed to do.

generally speaking IOS6 was taking what they had, making it a bit faster, adding facebook sharing into more places so you can share more easliy... shared photostreams, better email (the VIP feature is useful), shared photo streams...

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

It's all in there but its not necessarily "in your face" like a totally new app or something

Tink
26-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Oh great! Now I have that song stuck in my head! :lol:

Watchinherskip
26-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I was hopeing that someone would be along for the ride...good for you Sister Tink!!!

catrancher
28-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Interesting. :mental:

Tim Cook apologizes for Maps in IOS 6 (http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/).

If Steve Jobs were still around they'd need a whole new engineering staff working on Maps cause the old ones would've been fired in about 10 seconds.

Tom (:macwave:... at least they're admitting it's garbage...)

Watchinherskip
28-09-2012, 03:45 PM
So....I tried Siri for the first time...novel, but she is one cofused gal!!! I wonder where the whole voice activated thing will eventually lead. I guess it is a start right?:unsure:

catrancher
28-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I tried Siri for the first time...novel, but she is one cofused gal!!

Ask her to "open the pod bay doors". And keep asking her until you get the answer you think you're looking for. :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... great... technology that thinks it has a sense of humor!)