PDA

View Full Version : Where To Stay At Old Key West?

elephant
04-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi, we are staying at OKW for our next DH. We have been told that you can see Epcot fireworks from here. Does any one know which blocks and rooms are best to see the fireworks from?

Slowhand
05-10-2012, 08:16 PM
I would be very surprised if you can get a good view of any of the WDW fireworks from anywhere apart from in the actual park itself.
Ok you may get a glimpse of them from other locations such as viewing the Magic Kingdom show from the Grand Floridian, however you only get a limited view of the Illuminations at Epcot from the Boardwalk, and that is right next door to the park!

Britchick
05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
yes like Slowhand says you will probably only get a glimpse. We stayed there last year and stayed in the Turtle pond area which was great.

Tink
06-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Very little to see, actually. You might see a random high firework over the pond on Peninsula Rd. but that's about it.

elephant
10-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I would be very surprised if you can get a good view of any of the WDW fireworks from anywhere apart from in the actual park itself.
Ok you may get a glimpse of them from other locations such as viewing the Magic Kingdom show from the Grand Floridian, however you only get a limited view of the Illuminations at Epcot from the Boardwalk, and that is right next door to the park!
Thank you for your reply. Looks like we will be taking a trip to the Boardwalk one evening.

elephant
10-10-2012, 06:06 PM
yes like Slowhand says you will probably only get a glimpse. We stayed there last year and stayed in the Turtle pond area which was great.
Thank you for your reply. What block in Turtle pond area did you stay in? Was it quiet?

elephant
10-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Very little to see, actually. You might see a random high firework over the pond on Peninsula Rd. but that's about it.
Thank you for your reply. That's good to know.

Britchick
10-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Thank you for your reply. What block in Turtle pond area did you stay in? Was it quiet?

we were in building 43 on the ground floor - it was not even 100m to the pool from our front door and approx 200m to the bus stop. Hope that helps

elephant
10-10-2012, 06:48 PM
we were in building 43 on the ground floor - it was not even 100m to the pool from our front door and approx 200m to the bus stop. Hope that helps
Yes thats a great help. It's nice to talk to someone who has stayed there. Was it a long walk to the HH from block 43?

Britchick
10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Yes thats a great help. It's nice to talk to someone who has stayed there. Was it a long walk to the HH from block 43?

i never walked it i'm afraid, i would estimate that it takes around 30 mins at a leisurely pace. The bus can be used to get around the resort and stops in HH before leaving the resort

elephant
10-10-2012, 07:20 PM
i never walked it i'm afraid, i would estimate that it takes around 30 mins at a leisurely pace. The bus can be used to get around the resort and stops in HH before leaving the resort
I think we will be using the bus:yes:

Britchick
10-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I think we will be using the bus:yes:

we were there end of Aug/beginning of Sept and i would agree :yes: you spend enough time in the parks walking in the heat. If you had lots of time and it was cooler it would be a nice walk

elephant
11-10-2012, 07:26 PM
we were there end of Aug/beginning of Sept and i would agree :yes: you spend enough time in the parks walking in the heat. If you had lots of time and it was cooler it would be a nice walk
We went the beginning of August last year and it was in the low 100's so I know what you mean about the heat. Did you take the boat to DTD? Where does it drop you off?

Britchick
11-10-2012, 07:33 PM
We went the beginning of August last year and it was in the low 100's so I know what you mean about the heat. Did you take the boat to DTD? Where does it drop you off?

we didn't i'm afraid but i believe it drops you off at the dock by Captain Jacks :yes:

elephant
11-10-2012, 07:50 PM
we didn't i'm afraid but i believe it drops you off at the dock by Captain Jacks :yes:
I think it will easier taking the boat as you can spend ages trying to find a parking space :rainbowsmile:

Britchick
11-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I think it will easier taking the boat as you can spend ages trying to find a parking space :rainbowsmile:

probably, i got lost last year in the car park too, i thought i was lost forever!

Tink
12-10-2012, 08:35 AM
We walk when we are at OKW but then we like to walk. It takes us about ten minutes to go from the Turtle Pond area to the main Hospitality House area. If we are way in the back (our favorite area) by the buildings in the 50s it takes about 15 minutes or so, maybe 20. The walk to DTD is lovely. It's alongside the shaded canal. That takes closer to thirty but not always. Depends upon how much you stroll and lollygag. :D

The Ferry takes you to the Captain Jack's area and the House of Blues area. (Well, HOB is first). It's a nice little jaunt but if the weather is bad it's not running.

If you park on the west side you won't have any problems with finding a parking space. Go around to the back (furthest lot) and it's very empty almost all the time.

elephant
12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
[quote="Tink, post: 293902"]We walk when we are at OKW but then we like to walk. It takes us about ten minutes to go from the Turtle Pond area to the main Hospitality House area. If we are way in the back (our favorite area) by the buildings in the 50s it takes about 15 minutes or so, maybe 20. The walk to DTD is lovely. It's alongside the shaded canal. That takes closer to thirty but not always.
Do you know wether buildings 18,19 or 20 are quiet? This is will be our first time at OKW.

Tink
13-10-2012, 03:17 AM
All the buildings are quiet, unless they are along the main road and then you will hear the traffic. I don't know what it is, but there is something about the acoustics of the main road that echoes back into the villas that are there.