PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook Currency Card

Britchick
15-10-2012, 06:15 PM
nearly had a fracas in Thomas Cook today, i had ordered my travellers cheques to pick up. The sales woman told me that i would be charged to use them, i told her i wouldn't, she told me i would. I asked her how many times she had been to the US, no answer.

I really feel like complaining as they are just lying to get a sale

lisaw
15-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Had the same problem last year, trying to get me to have the currency card and telling me I wouldn't be able to use TC's as they are being fazed out, I will never, ever use them again!

Britchick
15-10-2012, 07:17 PM
They were the cheapest that's why I used them. I can't believe they get away with lying though!

keith
15-10-2012, 07:24 PM
They were the cheapest that's why I used them. I can't believe they get away with lying though!

we always end up there because as you say, cheapest usually.

We normally get the same hard sell on the card too though :/

Now we have always got cash rather than TCs because we worry about the faff of converting them. What's it like nowadays? If we go to a restaurant or any shop, are they just going to take them like cash? ANY problems at all?

Britchick
15-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I usually take up to our cash insurance limit and the rest in travelers cheques. I used tc almost everywhere with no problem, stores, restaurants etc. On disney property they don't bat an eyelid, even a $100 cheque for a $5 item. As we are only staying on site i plan to put everything i can on the room bill and then just settle it with the tc and credit card if needed. Not sure how much to take actually as all we have to pay for is tips and trinkets :yes:

Tink
16-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Never, ever had a problem with Travelers Checks anywhere. Some places asked for ID, but that's no problem. Can't imagine they get away with lying like that. Is there no regulatory agency to report them to?

Deafjeff
16-10-2012, 06:01 AM
We never taken cheques with us, we did consider using cash card but didn't fancy being charged for using the card at ATM :-S

Britchick
16-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Never, ever had a problem with Travelers Checks anywhere. Some places asked for ID, but that's no problem. Can't imagine they get away with lying like that. Is there no regulatory agency to report them to?

I am going to find out. They are telling lots of people the same thing.i had to be quite rude to make her stop.

Dawn
16-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Never ever had a problem with travellers checks and I've been all over the US - even the tiny iced tea shop in Tombstone AZ took them as cash. Only place that ever asked for id was Busch Gardens.

Saying that we used a Fair FX pre paid card last trip and will do the same, as well as taking some TCs and cash.

Britchick
16-10-2012, 07:05 AM
I guess there's something to be said for not having your eggs in one basket.

Wendy
16-10-2012, 07:53 AM
The only time you might have problems is if they aren't American Express travellers cheques.

Some exchanges still use the visa travellers cheques and these aren't accepted everywhere.

I always make sure they are Amex. Although this time we took cash and only a few cheques as we used our Nationwide cc for supermarket shopping and gifts. We got a better exchange rate than when I bought the cheques and currency. The way I look at it is, I'm not spending on food etc at home so I use it whilst we are away.

Dawn
16-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I always use the Post Office for currency and travellers cheque. To be honest, unless you are changing huge sums of money, the differences in the exchange rates is no more than a few pounds for the average tourist.

keith
16-10-2012, 02:40 PM
I always use the Post Office for currency and travellers cheque. To be honest, unless you are changing huge sums of money, the differences in the exchange rates is no more than a few pounds for the average tourist.

That's true too... it's probably not enough to really stress over for sure

Britchick
16-10-2012, 05:42 PM

that's true but a couple of pounds victory over companies makes me feel good. It becomes an obsession LOL

Sam
16-10-2012, 07:05 PM
A friend of mine who used to work for Thomas Cook said that all the staff are told to push the currency card and they will earn commission. Also the problem is that those staff that have never been to the Orlando are told that TC are being fazed out and those that know better are told to keep stum. It's just shameless sales tactics that really shouldn't be allowed. For those people who are going for the first time and don't use forums like this, won't know any different and will trust Thomas Cook to give them the best advise. I really hate dishonesty. :frown:

Britchick
16-10-2012, 07:38 PM
i've emailed Watchdog, grrrr

keith
16-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Absolutely awful tactics for sure but I wondered one thing, why are we all so against these cards?? As Dawn said, the fair fx card works great, I'm sure the thomas cook would too? it's easier to carry around, easy to block if lost, easy to replace... So why are we still bothering with cash/TC anyway? is it mistrust of the acceptance of the card or?

Britchick
16-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Absolutely awful tactics for sure but I wondered one thing, why are we all so against these cards?? As Dawn said, the fair fx card works great, I'm sure the thomas cook would too? it's easier to carry around, easy to block if lost, easy to replace... So why are we still bothering with cash/TC anyway? is it mistrust of the acceptance of the card or?

that's rather deep for a Tuesday night. I guess i don't trust them, have heard horror stories of them not working, suffering fraud etc and people being stranded with no money. Granted i don't think you should ever take all your money in one way and also i think it's a bit irresponsible to not have a back up when you travel abroad just in case. I don't know who guarantees the money? is it actually guaranteed? never really looked at it as it hasn't appealed. I also don't want to be controlled by a company who must be making money out of it :tongue:

Deafjeff
16-10-2012, 08:21 PM

I think it fear. For us having a different currency kinda make it 'real' for us.

Also easier to budget I.e take so much cash with us and leave the rest in a safe.

keith
16-10-2012, 08:31 PM
I certainly think there's something to being excited to get a new currency.. kinda makes the holiday more real.

I must admit, I dont know if the money on those cards is guaranteed by anyone :/ so perhaps that's a valid issue. Perhaps next time they moan at us to get one, we should ask them that!

We've always just got the cash and done the rest on a credit card which we pay off when we get back. My theory has always been that the TCs could be awkward but no one moans about cash :lol: and if the credit card gets scammed, it's not *REALLY* my money they've taken ;-) I'll argue till the cows come home before I pay a credit card bill that's got stuff I havent bought on it (compared with a debit card where I have to rely on being nice to the bank and hoping they give me the money back).

So I guess for us TCs would be adventurous, and for the TC people the currency card seems adventurous :lol: all about what you know and feel secure with.

lisaw
16-10-2012, 08:42 PM
It's mainly for budgeting for us, we take x amount of TC's out with us each day depending on what we will need to spend, I can see clearly how much is being spent and how much we have left.

I could never use a CC for the majority of my spending, I would forget how much I had spent, I just couldn't be trusted!! :lol:

Wendy
17-10-2012, 07:28 AM
It's mainly for budgeting for us, we take x amount of TC's out with us each day depending on what we will need to spend, I can see clearly how much is being spent and how much we have left.

I could never use a CC for the majority of my spending, I would forget how much I had spent, I just couldn't be trusted!! :lol:

We do the same, we have an amount for each day. We have used the CC for groceries the last 2 years and it has worked out brilliantly. I keep all the receipts and a running total of what we spend, just as I do at home.