PDA

View Full Version : Polynsian

Dishazo
18-10-2012, 12:19 PM
We will be staying at the poly in November any thing I need to know about staying there. Thanks in advance.

foreverducky
18-10-2012, 02:55 PM
The monorail is fantastic transportation!

I think the Poly is gorgeous and would love to stay there!

Dishazo
18-10-2012, 03:00 PM
The monorail is fantastic transportation!

I think the Poly is gorgeous and would love to stay there!
This is a treat for us. One of my daughters graduated college and my other daughter got accepted into medical school. Thank you for your reply.

foreverducky
18-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Congratulations to the both of them!

Dishazo
18-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Congratulations to the both of them!
Besides the parks and all the fun there. We are doing the Christmas party on Monday and Saturday boardwalk to jelly and the dance club. So hoping to have fun.

Britchick
18-10-2012, 06:15 PM
sounds like you're going to have a blast. There are some great places to eat at the Polynesian, Ohana, Kona Cafe and the counter service - Captain Cooks i believe. All our quite good

Dishazo
18-10-2012, 06:55 PM
sounds like you're going to have a blast. There are some great places to eat at the Polynesian, Ohana, Kona Cafe and the counter service - Captain Cooks i believe. All our quite good
Thanks. I know we are eating at Ohana's, will also try the others.

Watchinherskip
18-10-2012, 07:43 PM
This is a treat for us. One of my daughters graduated college and my other daughter got accepted into medical school. Thank you for your reply.
Yes, congratulations on the accomplishments! Let the CMs know of the celebration and they may make a fuss. You should get a button or something to wear to the parks.

The Poly was a great place to stay. Stayed there when my now 21 year old daughter was 10. She loved the pool. It had music underwater. I think it has been spruced up in recent years and I love to go to Ohana's for a good meal.

Wendy
18-10-2012, 09:29 PM
You will have a great time at the Poly, Kona Cafe is really nice and they have a sushi available there now as well if you like it.

The monorail is excellent for getting to the Magic Kingdom and you are only a 10 minute walk from the Grand Floridian and about 5 minutes to the Ticket and Transporation Center where you can get the monorail to Epcot.

You have to try Tonga Toast at Kona or Captain Cooks, it is delicious :D

Dishazo
18-10-2012, 09:42 PM
You will have a great time at the Poly, Kona Cafe is really nice and they have a sushi available there now as well if you like it.

The monorail is excellent for getting to the Magic Kingdom and you are only a 10 minute walk from the Grand Floridian and about 5 minutes to the Ticket and Transporation Center where you can get the monorail to Epcot.

You have to try Tonga Toast at Kona or Captain Cooks, it is delicious :D
Great to here about the sushi, my daughters favorite. What is Tonga Toast?

Wendy
18-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Tonga Toast, well it's bread and banana and if your daughters have a sweet tooth they will love it, I would get one to share though.

You can see a video on how to make it at home here (http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/showthread.php?21175-Tonga-Toast&highlight=tonga+toast) it will also show you what it looks like :D

Dishazo
18-10-2012, 10:16 PM
[quote="Wendy, post: 294518"]Tonga Toast, well it's bread and banana and if your daughters have a sweet tooth they will love it, I would get one to share though.

You can see a video on how to make it at home here (http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/showthread.php?21175-Tonga-Toast&highlight=tonga+toast) it will also show you what it looks like :D[/QUOTokay thanks E]
Thank you. Will have to try.

robertcraig
20-10-2012, 12:19 AM
it IS AGREAT RESORT

Mari
25-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Ohana for both breakfast and dinner, dinner is delicious!

Kona cafe is a wonderful place for breakfast and its usually not as crowded as Ohana, do ADR in advance!

DisneyFreak
25-10-2012, 06:52 PM
The Polynesian is my favorite resort on property by far. I have stayed here many times over the years. You don't even feel like your at Disney and it's a great retreat from the parks. Captain Cook's counter service is open 24 hours for those of you that may get the midnight munchies. Also try and see the Luau show. It's a great dinner show and the food is very good.

graceandhayes
29-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Congratulations! The Polynesian is awesome! My family stayed in Feb 2012 and are booked again for Feb 2013. If you are on the Disney Dining Plan go to Capt Cooks and get your free refillable mug as soon as you arrive. The mug is free and can be refilled with drinks for free at Capt Cooks, or any resort quick service restaurant. Great for coffee or tea in the morning, or juice and soda anytime. If you are not on the Disney Dining Plan I think you can purchase the refillable mug for around $15.

Dishazo
29-10-2012, 03:03 PM
The Polynesian is my favorite resort on property by far. I have stayed here many times over the years. You don't even feel like your at Disney and it's a great retreat from the parks. Captain Cook's counter service is open 24 hours for those of you that may get the midnight munchies. Also try and see the Luau show. It's a great dinner show and the food is very good.
Getting so exited we get there next Saturday. Just a little worried about the marathon that day. Not sure if we should go to a park that day or just stay at the resort. And help would be appreciated.

Dishazo
06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Congratulations! The Polynesian is awesome! My family stayed in Feb 2012 and are booked again for Feb 2013. If you are on the Disney Dining Plan go to Capt Cooks and get your free refillable mug as soon as you arrive. The mug is free and can be refilled with drinks for free at Capt Cooks, or any resort quick service restaurant. Great for coffee or tea in the morning, or juice and soda anytime. If you are not on the Disney Dining Plan I think you can purchase the refillable mug for around $15.
Is the mug you mentioned one per person on the dining plan? Leaving on Saturday. Getting our last minute things together.

graceandhayes
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
That is correct. Each person on the DDP gets the mug for free. It is refillable for free at the Quick Service restaurant at the resort. You will see the mugs in Capt Cooks. Just grab one for each person on the DDP and take them to the cashier. Present your Key to the World card, and the cashier will cut the security tag off. You are now ready to fill it with your favorite beverage. (Well, favorite soft drink, coffee, tea, etc. Unfortunately it does not work at Tambu Lounge. :thumbsdown:)Instead of using the coffee maker in the room I would take our mugs down to Capt Cooks each morning, fill them with coffee, and take them back to the room. Our kids would take their mugs with them to the pool and anytime they were thirsty they could go into Capt Cooks and get something to drink.

Dishazo
06-11-2012, 02:00 PM
That is correct. Each person on the DDP gets the mug for free. It is refillable for free at the Quick Service restaurant at the resort. You will see the mugs in Capt Cooks. Just grab one for each person on the DDP and take them to the cashier. Present your Key to the World card, and the cashier will cut the security tag off. You are now ready to fill it with your favorite beverage. (Well, favorite soft drink, coffee, tea, etc. Unfortunately it does not work at Tambu Lounge. :thumbsdown:)Instead of using the coffee maker in the room I would take our mugs down to Capt Cooks each morning, fill them with coffee, and take them back to the room. Our kids would take their mugs with them to the pool and anytime they were thirsty they could go into Capt Cooks and get something to drink.
Thanks for the info. Could you also tell me where is your favorite place to eat?

graceandhayes
06-11-2012, 02:55 PM
I do not have a lot of experience with the WDW restaurants because our first family trip was this past February. I can tell you what I liked/didn't like about the places we have eaten.

Polynesian Resort - Capt Cooks is great for breakfast or lunch. On of our favorite things to do at the Polynesian is have Mickey Waffles for breakfast by the pool before heading to the parks. The breakfast at Kona Cafe is also excellent if you want a sit down/table service breakfast. We are trying O'hana for the first time in Feb 2013.

Magic Kingdom - We like Columbia Harbour House for QS lunch at MK. Good selection for kids and adults. My wife loves the grilled salmon - a nice light/healthy choice for lunch. We are trying Be Our Guest for dinner and Casey's Corner for lunch (my son loves hot dogs) in 2013.

Animal Kingdom - I have heard the breakfast at Tusker House is good. My kids are pretty picky (hot dogs, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets) so we eat at Restaurantosaurus for lunch at AK. The burgers are good, but pretty standard park lunch here. Most people love Yak and Yeti or Flame Tree BBQ, but my kids won't eat anything at these restaurants. My daughter loves Rainforest Cafe so we always eat dinner here after the day at AK. This is a chain and not a "Disney" restaurant. Food is pretty good but the atmosphere is "crazy". Appeals to kids, but not a quiet, relaxing adult meal. I had the fajitas here last year and they were excellent.

Epcot - we usually eat at Electric Umbrella. Typical menu for my family - burgers, chicken nuggets, salads. My wife liked the grilled chicken salad here. We are going to try either Liberty Inn or La Cantina de San Angel in 2013.

Hollywood Studios - again, boring park lunch for my family here. We eat at ABC Commissary. Food is not great, but again quick and easy for my family. Can't recommend it, except that is it quick and convenient. Not a big fan of HS, or the restaurants here.

For Table Service we love Chef Mickey and Akershus Princess Dinner. Chef Mickey is a buffet that gets bad reviews from many guests. We thought the food was good for a buffet, and our kids love the character interaction. The Akershus Princess Dinner is good food and great for princess fans like my daughter. We did the Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. The characters were great, the dinner buffet was good, but the restaurant was loud! I prefer the atmosphere at Akershus over 1900 Park Fare for a Princess Dinner. My son always wants a dinner at T-Rex Cafe at Downtown Disney. Similar to Rainforest Cafe. Food is good, but not great. Atmosphere is for kids not adults. Very loud and busy.

Sorry I don't have more information on restaurants. I know there are a lot of good restaurants I am not familiar with. Unfortunatly we are somewhat limited to restaurants that serve food my picky kids will eat. I would also love to hear what other restaurants people like or dislike.

robertcraig
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
I do not have a lot of experience with the WDW restaurants because our first family trip was this past February. I can tell you what I liked/didn't like about the places we have eaten.

Polynesian Resort - Capt Cooks is great for breakfast or lunch. On of our favorite things to do at the Polynesian is have Mickey Waffles for breakfast by the pool before heading to the parks. The breakfast at Kona Cafe is also excellent if you want a sit down/table service breakfast. We are trying O'hana for the first time in Feb 2013.

Magic Kingdom - We like Columbia Harbour House for QS lunch at MK. Good selection for kids and adults. My wife loves the grilled salmon - a nice light/healthy choice for lunch. We are trying Be Our Guest for dinner and Casey's Corner for lunch (my son loves hot dogs) in 2013.

Animal Kingdom - I have heard the breakfast at Tusker House is good. My kids are pretty picky (hot dogs, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets) so we eat at Restaurantosaurus for lunch at AK. The burgers are good, but pretty standard park lunch here. Most people love Yak and Yeti or Flame Tree BBQ, but my kids won't eat anything at these restaurants. My daughter loves Rainforest Cafe so we always eat dinner here after the day at AK. This is a chain and not a "Disney" restaurant. Food is pretty good but the atmosphere is "crazy". Appeals to kids, but not a quiet, relaxing adult meal. I had the fajitas here last year and they were excellent.

Epcot - we usually eat at Electric Umbrella. Typical menu for my family - burgers, chicken nuggets, salads. My wife liked the grilled chicken salad here. We are going to try either Liberty Inn or La Cantina de San Angel in 2013.

Hollywood Studios - again, boring park lunch for my family here. We eat at ABC Commissary. Food is not great, but again quick and easy for my family. Can't recommend it, except that is it quick and convenient. Not a big fan of HS, or the restaurants here.

For Table Service we love Chef Mickey and Akershus Princess Dinner. Chef Mickey is a buffet that gets bad reviews from many guests. We thought the food was good for a buffet, and our kids love the character interaction. The Akershus Princess Dinner is good food and great for princess fans like my daughter. We did the Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. The characters were great, the dinner buffet was good, but the restaurant was loud! I prefer the atmosphere at Akershus over 1900 Park Fare for a Princess Dinner. My son always wants a dinner at T-Rex Cafe at Downtown Disney. Similar to Rainforest Cafe. Food is good, but not great. Atmosphere is for kids not adults. Very loud and busy.

Sorry I don't have more information on restaurants. I know there are a lot of good restaurants I am not familiar with. Unfortunatly we are somewhat limited to restaurants that serve food my picky kids will eat. I would also love to hear what other restaurants people like or dislike.

Went to KONA CAFE AND OHANAS this year can definately reccomend them both.If you go to OHANAS don't have a lot to eat before you go and leave room for the desert.there are some great places to eat at DOWNTOWN DISNEY.

Slowhand
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Could you also tell me where is your favorite place to eat?
You can check out the menus etc of all the on site restaurants on our main site. :2thumbsup:

catrancher
06-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info. Could you also tell me where is your favorite place to eat?

For general park sit down restaurants? Hmm... probably at Hollywood Studios. The 50's Prime Time. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... mom's a good cook!)

DisneyFreak
08-11-2012, 05:56 PM
For general park sit down restaurants? Hmm... probably at Hollywood Studios. The 50's Prime Time. :thumbsup:

I second this.

uscwest
09-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Great choice. Love the food there, especially Aunt Liz's Fried Chicken

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2