PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Sandy.....

MystikPiglit
28-10-2012, 10:15 AM
To any of our friends likely to be affected by the storm, stay safe! :hug2:
Sending buckets of :pdust: :pdust: that it will pass you by. :hug2:

catrancher
28-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Absolutely! :yes:

All of you hunker down and stay safe!

Tom (:macwave:... it's gonna be a mess.)

Johnie
28-10-2012, 03:14 PM
They are already closing schools and such to the east of us.

BUTTERHEAD1
28-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Subways and buses shut down as of 7pm tonight, schools closed Monday and possibly Tuesday. The Mayor has ordered evacuation of potential flood zones. The Governor has ordered over a thousand National Guard. I always feel like the media over hypes storms/blizzards here in NYC but the politicians seem very concerned about this one. As for me I am heading into work in a couple of hours and I don't have any idea when I will be able to come home. Everyone else up here in the Northeast stay safe and dry.

Britchick
28-10-2012, 05:50 PM
fingers crossed that it doesn't come in as bad as forecast :hug2:

uscwest
28-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Schools closed in at least 4 counties here in Northern VA and Maryland. The MARC train (Maryland) will not run tomorrow which will impact traffic tremendously if those folks decide to venture out to work.

robertcraig
28-10-2012, 08:36 PM
After experiancing a hurricane in FLORIDA I know how scary it can be stay safe my friends

Wendy
28-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Thinking of you all, stay safe everyone :hug2:

robertcraig
28-10-2012, 09:26 PM
A friend of mine whose nane is SANDY wondered why every one was tweeting about him

foreverducky
28-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Here's hoping everyone keeps their power.

Beccaberry
28-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Just a quick check-in. Missed mandatory evac by two streets. We have taken all necessary precautions and are as ready as can be - all schools (inc the one I work for) are closed. Anticipating the loss of power, but hopefully nothing worse. Will check in as I can, for now - a quick snapshot of the calm before...

13467.vB

kazzaqld
28-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Please all take care. Thinking of you all. Check in when you can!

Cheers, Karen

Johnie
29-10-2012, 12:47 AM
House is spotless :-)

All washing (clothes and dishes) have been done

Have non perishable food stuffs at the ready. Bathtubs filled with water.

Cars are gassed up. Electronics charged up. We are ready. Hopefully we will not lose power.

The state of Virginia work offices in our area have already closed tomorrow. Let me tell you this is practically unheard of. I worked for them for over 7 years and they never closed. I no longer work for them and they do this. Crazy.

Shellyamc
29-10-2012, 01:58 AM
We are just waiting and watching. I am about 3 1/2 hours outside of NYC and right now it looks like we will be in the "tropical storm" ring and not the "hurricane" ring. We are looking at a high wind warning ( up to 75 mph possible) and some heavy rain. We have pellet for the stove, groceries, and that is pretty much where we are. We will make sure everything outside is put away and then we will just play it by ear. Not totally sure about sending Katie to school tomorrow. I would have to have to go out with the 2 boys in the middle of the day to get her.

Kate
29-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Will be thinking of you all, stay safe everyone :hug2:

BUTTERHEAD1
29-10-2012, 06:49 AM
It is 245am here in NYC and so far not a drop of rain... Wind is picking up a bit...supposedly the big stuff is a few hours away...

Deafjeff
29-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Those who may be affected by the storm do take care and stay safe

Deb
29-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Thinking of all of you in the affected areas :hug2: Stay safe.

lisaw
29-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Stay safe everyone :hug2:

Wendy
29-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Please stay safe everyone :hug2: and check in when you can :hug2:

Butterhead, you be careful out there :hug2:

MystikPiglit
29-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Good luck Becca, Johnie, Shellyamc and BUTTERHEAD1. :hug2:

lozzy
29-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Stay safe everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beccaberry
29-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Checking in :) we have started getting wind and rain. Nothing overly fearful just yet, but given the full moon, unusually high tide and other conditions, the marsh just beyond our back yard is looking ominous. We were able to find plenty of supplies over the weekend, except batteries...D cells were sold out everywhere. Luckily we have a few that operate on AA's.

Dawn
29-10-2012, 10:14 AM
OK I'm worried now.

My Facebook will be open all day for updates. Please keep us updated. :sorry:

lozzy
29-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Just watching Fox News, the weather is look really ugly in Virginia.
Please stay safe everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscwest
29-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Heavy rain and gusty winds here in Northern Virginia. EVERYTHING is closed, trains, planes, buses, etc. Federal Government is closed. Virginia Department of Transportation asking folks to stay off of the roads. Expecting 1-2 feet of snow in the mountains to our west.

lozzy
29-10-2012, 11:36 AM
It just shows how big this storm is as it hasn't even got to land yet.

Shellyamc
29-10-2012, 12:34 PM
We have toilet paper..so we will be just fine. :yes: Anything beyond toilet paper is a bonus :D

Kate
29-10-2012, 01:07 PM
:lol: Can you imagine being stuck in without toilet paper - good grief!!!

Beccaberry
29-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Almost as bad as if you were stuck in without Vodka!!!!

We've got the essentials, vodka, toilet paper and pb&j supplies. I also have pie.

catrancher
29-10-2012, 01:16 PM

We've got the essentials, vodka, toilet paper and pb&j supplies. I also have pie.

Hmmm... how 'bout a generator to provide... oh, I don't know. Lights? Heat maybe?

Tom (:macwave:... who's been stuck in CT before during an ice storm without power.)

Deb
29-10-2012, 02:14 PM

A girl after my own heart :D

Dawn
29-10-2012, 02:35 PM
What sort of pie?:unsure:

Shellyamc
29-10-2012, 03:17 PM
:lol:

The man is asking about a generator and the women want to know what kind of pie she has :lol:

I'm sorry that was too funny.

My Dad has a generator that if it got really bad we could bring here (we would bring them to), so we could run the fridge and pellet stove. :yes:

Johnie
29-10-2012, 03:27 PM
We have power. It's rainy and windy here

Dawn
29-10-2012, 04:39 PM
We have power. It's rainy and windy here

But do you have pie?

Beccaberry
29-10-2012, 05:30 PM
What sort of pie?:unsure:

Pumpkin. And apple. :D

13471.vB

Same pier - slightly different angle. The first shot is of the right hand side of the pier from a parking lot (also on the right). As you'll see in the pic below, that parking lot is no longer accessible. And Sandy isn't even HERE yet.

MystikPiglit
29-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Scary... Good photos though. :)

Deb
29-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Wow! Pictures are amazing!

Great pies too :thumbsup:

DisneyFreak
29-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Stay safe everyone and eat good pies!!

foreverducky
29-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Ok, I'm with the TP people. I'm not worried about pie, drinks or generator. The main concern is always TP. Even if you like the pie and drinks, you ultimately need TP.

Stay safe everyone!

Johnie
29-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I do not have any pie :thumbsdown:

I DO have a caramel pecan apple from Yankee Candle :yes:

Beccaberry
29-10-2012, 07:47 PM
I also have cool whip to go with my pie :)

I'm living on the edge here, people. On. The. Edge.

lozzy
29-10-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm currently watching CNN news and I am shocked to see people aren't listening to warnings to leave they homes. I know it must be hard to leave your home and belongings, but surely it's better to save you life.?

MystikPiglit
29-10-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm off to bed, stay safe dear friends. :hug2:

uscwest
30-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Donna baked a Dutch Apple pie today. It is yummy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Johnie
30-10-2012, 02:11 AM
I need pie.

Watchinherskip
30-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Had a lot of wind but not a great deal of rain today on the coast. There was a lot of rain over the weekend. We had a lot of tidal flooding in tidewater. Lots of goofy people submerging their cars and floating around the streets in anything that will float. The creek behind my house rose to about the same level as Isobel, about half way up the lawn towards my back porch.

Rain has pretty much ended but the winds are now out of the west and howling. Strongest winds to date. Fortunately only lost a few limbs and no damage. We have a two hour delay tomorrow.

hope you guys up north catch a break. I hope the dams let out a lot of water in prepping for Sandy. Could be horrible.

MystikPiglit
30-10-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm back. Everyone okay?

Dawn
30-10-2012, 09:56 AM
How are we doing?

Looks from here that New York got the worst. Butterhead? :unsure:

foreverducky
30-10-2012, 10:03 AM
I read online that 6.2 million people are without power.

kazzaqld
30-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I read online that 6.2 million people are without power.

It's a staggering number - almost too hard to comprehend.

Hope all forumites are safe and warm? :unsure:

uscwest
30-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm sure that Butterhead, being a NYC police officer is quite busy right now, so he may not be on too soon.

Beccaberry
30-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Checking in - safe, sound and dry. We are currently the only people we know with power, including all of our close friends, our jobs and Jon's family. There is some damage to the house, we haven't fully assessed how much just yet, but I'd guess it to be minimal to moderate. The BEST news to report is that we did NOT take on any water. A huge relief after just replacing the flooring from the storms last year. The marsh rose all the way up the street, into the yard and right to our front porch before receding. The wind sounded like a freight train approaching.

Wendy
30-10-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm glad you're ok Becca and there isn't any water damage :hug2: I've heard people say that hurricane winds sound like a freight train before. I'd be really scared.

It's good you've got power, I've been looking at the time waiting for a reasonable hour to text you to make sure you were all ok :anxious:

catrancher
30-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Glad you're safe Becca and still juiced up (take that however you'd like). :mental:

Been there, done that with water coming up to the front door and then receding. Scary. Glad that it didn't come on in. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... big 'ole storm. Innit?)

Deb
30-10-2012, 12:27 PM
So glad to hear all is well Becca, relatively speaking :hug2:

Dawn
30-10-2012, 12:34 PM
You still have power? Then you can have warm pie!:thumbsup:

Beccaberry
30-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Um. I MAY have eaten all the pie...I can neither confirm nor deny such a rumor.

Beccaberry
30-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Just headed out to look around, one of the first things we saw...

13480.vB

Wendy
30-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Oh my goodness!

MystikPiglit
30-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Glad to hear you're safe, Becca. :hug2: Wow, scary pic.

foreverducky
30-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm so glad people are checking in.

Water damage can be absolutely devastating.

uscwest
30-10-2012, 02:41 PM
We appear to be OK here. No known damage yet but we haven't been out.

Johnie
30-10-2012, 02:42 PM
All good here :-)

Beccaberry
30-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Out and about for a walk...this used to be our Boardwalk :(

13481.vB

lozzy
30-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Just headed out to look around, one of the first things we saw...

Now isn't that a funny place to put a boat.
Sorry just thought I'd lighten the mood a little as everyone must be so low right now.

Beccaberry
30-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Actually, the mood is pretty good right now! The storm moved through very quickly and did far less damage than originally anticipated when they thought it would hang around for two days. Also, fatalities were very low in our area (two I believe) so we feel like we dodged a bullet! Things can ALWAYS be replaced...

lozzy
30-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Actually, the mood is pretty good right now! The storm moved through very quickly and did far less damage than originally anticipated when they thought it would hang around for two days. Also, fatalities were very low in our area (two I believe) so we feel like we dodged a bullet! Things can ALWAYS be replaced...

That's good, I've been watching bits on the television, but I could never completely understand how heartbreaker and terrifying it must have been.

Beccaberry
30-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Absolutely, Lozzy, and we were so fortunate to lose quite little in the overall picture.

Shellyamc
30-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Everything is A-ok here in Upstate. A small amount of wind damage here and there and lots without power, but overall not too bad here. We are very happy we didn't take on any water. That was our big fear. It is windy today, and it looks like we will get more rain, but the sun actually came out today which was a welcome sight!!

Watchinherskip
30-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Glad you guys are ok....looked pretty bad in NY and New England. Jersey was trashed so much desctruction. The scale of this thing was incredible! I was on the phone to my brother in Nazareth, PA (north of Philly). We were both getting hurricane strength gusts but our winds at the time were from the west, his was from the east and he is about 500 miles away from us here in souther VA. Blows my mind. I have never seen such a large event.

BUTTERHEAD1
31-10-2012, 06:25 AM
It's been a wild 36 hours, my sister lives in Rockaway and did not evacuate as she should have. The distance between the bay and Ocean is minimal and it didn't take long for them to meet. I spoke to her last night and the water was about five feet deep and moving fast and they had already lost power. She seemed a little nervous at that time. When I checked in with her an hour or so later later she was in a state of panic because several nearby houses including the one directly behind her were engulfed in flames and the 70 mph winds were blowing the embers in the direction of her house. She didn't know wether to grab her 14&16 year old kids and hit the water. I told her not to leave unless the house was on fire that water would be equally dangerous. The Fire dept could not get to the fires due to the depth of the water. At this time her phone died. For the next hour I was afraid that they may have not made it. About 4am she called me from her daughters phone and said the water had subsided to less than a foot and that although her basement was flooded to its ceiling the house never caught fire and that they were safe. At about 1pm I was able to make the trip to her house and what I saw was the 2nd worst thing I have ever seen(ground zerobeing first). The roads were caked with debris cars were abandoned everywhere, the entire town reeked of smoke and everyone had that scared and empty look in their eyes. I took my niece and nephew with me and my sister and husband stayed behind for now to clean up and to help their neighbors. My mother lives in Chelsea and has no power so she is also with me now. 7 of us right now in a small apt with the possibility of a couple more showing up tomorrow but I feel blessed that my family made it through. I have a feeling that the death toll in the city is going to grow in the coming days when every home is checked, a fellow officer with the NYPD drowned in his own house last night trying to save his loved ones. The city will recover over time but this storm will not be forgotten.As for me I have power and suffered no damage to any of my property... Very lucky and extremely grateful

Wendy
31-10-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm so glad you have been able to check in, I've been worried about you :hug2:

I'm sorry to hear about your colleague :( I'm not surprised you were worried about your sister and family, it's good that they are all safe and I hope the damage to their home isn't too bad.

Be safe out there when you go back to work :hug2:

Deb
31-10-2012, 07:16 AM
My goodness Butterhead. I don't really know what to say. That's just horrific. I am so very glad that you and your extended family are safe and have lived through this :hug2:

Dawn
31-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Butterhead...no words. :hug2:

MystikPiglit
31-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Oh my goodness, Butterhead, I'm so glad to hear that your family is safe now. :hug2:
Thank you for checking in, I was thinking of you whilst watching the news. I am sorry to hear the sad news of your colleague.
Take care and stay safe.

uscwest
31-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Glad to hear you and your family are OK. So sorry to hear about your colleague.

catrancher
31-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Stunning devastation. :shocked:

Glad you and your family are all right but so sorry about your brother officer. May he rest in peace.

Tom (:macwave:... unbelievable!)

foreverducky
31-10-2012, 01:09 PM
My goodness Butterhead, what a roller coaster of emotions. I am truly sorry for your loss and am thankful your family is safe. :hug2:

Watchinherskip
31-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I am so happy that you and your family is safe. It is a wonder that there wasn't a much greater loss of life. The scenes from NY and Jersey are like Armagedon. I am very sorry for the loss of your fellow policeman. Prayers and condolences for his family.

lozzy
31-10-2012, 02:07 PM
So glad you and your family are safe. And I am so sorry to hear of the loss of a fellow officer.

Tink
02-11-2012, 12:14 AM
I can't imagine how hard it must have been to know your sister was having such a time of it. It's a huge relief to know you and your family are ok.

My sincere condolences on the loss of your fellow officer.

Please take care, Butterhead. Cleanup is no less dangerous in many ways than was the storm itself.

lisaw
02-11-2012, 08:48 AM
So glad you are all safe Butterhead, the news of your fellow officer was reported here, just awful. All the pictures we are seeing are devastating.