PDA

View Full Version : Harrods of London - live parade now

Isafari
03-11-2012, 08:42 AM
http://www.livestream.com/harrods

just in case anyone is online right now!

lisaw
03-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks Diane! Managed to see most of it, looked fab, wish I was there!

Isafari
03-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks Diane! Managed to see most of it, looked fab, wish I was there!

You're welcome :D

Loved the Disney section :yes:

Dawn
03-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I'll be there next Saturday. :thumbsup:

uscwest
03-11-2012, 02:24 PM
What kind of parade was it. Surely they are doing a Christmas parade already are they?

lisaw
03-11-2012, 02:38 PM
I'll be there next Saturday. :thumbsup:

I'm going next Sunday!

John it is an annual parade welcoming Father Christmas to his grotto in Harrods. This year it is a Disney theme :yes:

lozzy
03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
For those who missed it live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQbzEYzJsRU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dawn
03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm going next Sunday!

Well I'm not going to leave you anything.

Britchick
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
what was Belle wearing ? :unsure:

lozzy
03-11-2012, 06:21 PM
what was Belle wearing ? :unsure:

I was thinking the same thing,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lisaw
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Well I'm not going to leave you anything.

Good because I can't afford to buy anything!

uscwest
03-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Well, that certainly is rushing the season isn't it?

BTW, anyone going to Harrod's please don't forget my crackers. :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

BTW, yes we can get crackers (not THOSE crackers) here in the US and they are imported from the UK.

Tink
04-11-2012, 12:54 AM
There was a huge selection of crackers at World Market today.

I know they are part of Christmas for the UK, but I'm not sure exactly what to do with them? :unsure: I know they are set by the plates for the table, and you pull them, but then what? :unsure:

Are they noisy?

uscwest
04-11-2012, 01:24 AM
There was a huge selection of crackers at World Market today.

I know they are part of Christmas for the UK, but I'm not sure exactly what to do with them? :unsure: I know they are set by the plates for the table, and you pull them, but then what? :unsure:

Are they noisy? They normally aren't too loud Tink, at least the ones I've used. More like a cap gun. There is a prize inside.

lisaw
04-11-2012, 06:52 AM
They have a silly joke and an even sillier paper hat in them too that you get to wear during Christmas dinner!

Britchick
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
When we lived over there are family brought them out to us. We took them to the California grill for dinner on Christmas Day, didn't go down very well and people stared a bit.

Tink
04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
How did crackers get started, does anyone know? How did they become part of the Christmas dinner festivities (presuming that is the time you use them).

Silly paper hats is a NYE custom here, along with noisemakers. It almost seems like the crackers are a bit like that only combined?

I like to understand where customs originate, but I know that's not always possible. It's still fun for me to try and understand them though.

catrancher
04-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I like to understand where customs originate, but I know that's not always possible. It's still fun for me to try and understand them though.

Here 'ya go Tink! Christmas Crackers (http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/xmas/crackers.html)

I can't comment on it's accuracy but it popped when I went looking.

Tom (:macwave:... sans paper hat.)

Tink
05-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Very interesting! Thank you Catrancher! :yes:

Do you really pull them around the table in a circle like they describe in the article, UK folks?

Wendy
05-11-2012, 12:00 PM
:yes: When I was younger and there were lots of us for Christmas dinner, we used to cross hands all the way around the table and then pull them almost at the same time. The little gifts inside used to fly everywhere :lol:

Now it's just Chris and I, we don't always have crackers now :sigh: