PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to a Firework Display

Wendy
05-11-2012, 03:20 PM
There is a firework display tonight on Plymouth Hoe, so we will possibly go down to the pier the otherside of the Hoe to watch them or if it's too cold, we'll sit in our bedroom and watch them from the warm :lol: It won't be the same as being there, but we get to see all the large ones in the sky and we can hear the bangs and pops.

Anyone else going out tonight or was there something on at the weekend that you went to?

lisaw
05-11-2012, 03:43 PM
We went to Ascot racecourse on Saturday for their display. I'm not a fan of fireworks set to music for Bonfire night celebrations but these were quite good as they used music from the movies as a theme.

Last night we went to a more traditional display at my friend's children's school, it's become a bit of a tradition over the years and we go to their house first for Jacket spuds and then back there after the display for dessert and sparklers, it's always a nice evening! :yes:

Wendy
05-11-2012, 03:57 PM
It sounds like you had a good weekend Lisa, I'd prefer the baked spuds, dessert and sparklers event :lol:

When I was little, we had friends that lived in Bracknell, close to the hospital and we used to go and see them every year for Bonfire Night. There was a huge display with a big bonfire and it was a real community event, with hot dogs, toasted marshamallows and baked spuds. Now with all the health and safety you wouldn't be allowed to toast marshmallows :lol:

I'm really missing the old days just lately :sigh:

Slowhand
05-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Now with all the health and safety you wouldn't be allowed to toast marshmallows :lol:

I'm really missing the old days just lately :sigh:

How true that is. :yes:
I remember when I was a lad our "gang" used to collect wood for a bonfire weeks before the big day and there was a lot of rivalry and stealing wood to and from the other lads in the nearby area.
The bonfire was lit in an open area very close to the terraced houses where we lived.
In those days we used to dare each other to see how long we could hold a "banger" before throwing it away, and setting off a "jumping jack" near to the girls resulted in a sight to behold....and a lot of screaming. :lol:
When the fire was dying down we used to bake potatoes....they never taste good unless they are burnt black! :lol:

It makes you wonder how I lived to be the age that I am if you listen to all of the Health and Safety drum beaters that are around today!

Tink
05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Is it Guy Fawkes you are talking about? :unsure: Do you not call it Guy Fawkes Day any longer? We were once in UK at EPCOT (can't remember how many years ago) for Guy Fawkes Day and they were handing out little scarecrow like dolls on sticks. :yes:

Slowhand
05-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Is it Guy Fawkes you are talking about? :unsure: Do you not call it Guy Fawkes Day any longer? We were once in UK at EPCOT (can't remember how many years ago) for Guy Fawkes Day and they were handing out little scarecrow like dolls on sticks. :yes:
Yep Tink, "bonfire night" is based on the burning of a guy [aka Guy [Guido] Fawkes] based on his failed attempt to blow up our Houses of Parliament in the 17th century.

Britchick
05-11-2012, 06:04 PM
we were going to Jon's work for one but i've been ill all weekend so didn't want to stand in the cold damp weather. Going to see some awesome fireworks in a weeks time anyway ;)

Wendy
05-11-2012, 06:41 PM
we were going to Jon's work for one but i've been ill all weekend so didn't want to stand in the cold damp weather. Going to see some awesome fireworks in a weeks time anyway ;)

Hope you feel better soon and rub it in why don't you :lol:

Britchick
05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Hope you feel better soon and rub it in why don't you :lol:

well you've just been! it's not the same really though is it, i see the two as totally different. Like Lisa i think it's just wrong to have music with bonfire day fireworks

Wendy
05-11-2012, 07:35 PM
well you've just been! it's not the same really though is it, i see the two as totally different. Like Lisa i think it's just wrong to have music with bonfire day fireworks

:lol: I agree about the music and fireworks on bonfire night :yes:

Britchick
05-11-2012, 07:36 PM
i'm now sulking big time, can hear them going off at the local display :sorry: