PDA

View Full Version : Lets have a Saturday Thread for a Change

Wendy
24-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Well, I don't know about any of you, but it's been horrible here all day, we haven't been outside the door it's so wet. We've had the lights on all day and it is now almost dark outside :shrug:

It's been a frustrating week, but everything is sorted out now, thankfully :)

I'm trying very hard to get into the Christmas mind set. I think this must be the first year I haven't nearly finished buying all the presents, I haven't got very much at all, so I need to start thinking about what to buy. I do have my cards though and I have started to write them :D

Please tell me I'm not the only one behind this year, I just don't know where the time is going :lol: We normally put the tree up the first weekend in December and that's next week!!! I can't see it happening somehow :lol:

We don't have much planned this weekend, well today is a wash out and tomorrow I think our friends are coming over to discuss the Order of Service that they want me to make for a funeral next Wednesday :( I think I will be doing the catering as well so that will keep me busy.

Has anyone watched Arthur Christmas :unsure: I bought it yesterday at Tesco for Liv for Christmas. If it's good, I might watch it first :whistle:

So tell me some things to make my day seem brighter :D

Lisa1976
24-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Been a busy bee today, got two cupcake orders completed, Christmas decorations out to put up this weekend. Listed items in eBay. I'm thinking a Chinese is well deserved this evening.

The weather is just as awful here in Bedfordshire, not stopped raining all day :( not looking forward to venturing out to drop cakes off.

Wendy
24-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Oh no rain and cakes aren't good are they, I hate it when I have had to deliver a cake in the rain. I know they are in boxes, but I still worry about it :lol:

I definitely think a Chinese in in order for tonight, we had that last night :)

You are very organised Miss, you have your decorations ready to go already, I'm very impressed :D :hug2:

lisaw
24-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Trying to get organised this weekend so we can put the tree up next weekend! Not getting very far though due to having some lovely chocolate treats delivered this morning and Christmas 24 on the TV! :lol:

Wendy
24-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Trying to get organised this weekend so we can put the tree up next weekend! Not getting very far though due to having some lovely chocolate treats delivered this morning and Christmas 24 on the TV! :lol:

Has Christmas 24 started already, I may have to watch, it might help with the Christmas spirit :lol:

Don't blame me if you feel sick eating all the chocolate :wink: :lol:

keith
24-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Love christmas 24 I've watched sooooo many Christmas films on there this year, it's always on in the background :D

Wendy
24-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Chris won't watch it :sigh: :(

Britchick
24-11-2012, 06:45 PM
My boy is home :wiggle: been for holiday mani and pedi, just had a thanksgiving meal. Putting the tree up tomorrow as I won't be around next weekend. This time next week I'll have just had breakfast with Johnie and her Mum and Lilo and Stitch, I think I have everything bought for my trip. Just need to pack :wiggle:

Wendy
24-11-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm glad he's home :hug2: Your holiday has come round really quickly :D you are both going to have a fantastic time :mental:

Britchick
24-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I have had a new hair cut too, it's really short now...to be debuted in the live trip report!

Wendy
24-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Very short or just short :lol: You haven't had it shaved have you :lol:

My goodness the things you will do just so that you can creep up on Keith :point:

Britchick
24-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Not shaved, just short everyone says they love it! I have comedy glasses and moustache too lol

Slowhand
24-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I can`t help your day feel any better Wendy as I too have had one heck of a day.
We were exhibiting at a local wedding fayre which was darn cold to say the least.
At 1.30 pm I had to leave the fayre in order to "do" a wedding, leaving my DW in charge at the fayre.
As soon as I arrived at the bride`s house it started to rain which then became persistant throughout the rest of the day. The after wedding photos involved me moving my car to a more photogenic location while the bride and her new groom had their photos taken under my umbrellas, with me standing by in the pouring rain.
I finally arrived back at the fayre just as it was closing at 4.00 pm, looking forward to doing absolutely nothing apart from lounging around in front of the fire!

Still it could have been worse, at least the wedding was not for tomorrow....Grand Prix day! :lol:

Wendy
24-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Oh crikey Terry, I forgot you had a wedding today. It can't have been any fun at all in the rain :hug2:

uscwest
24-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Spent my day running around getting some things done. But no Christmas shopping.

Oil Change on our work van,
Haircut,
Gasoline,
Lunch,
Grocery shopping, needed a ham but they had NONE
Dry Cleaners
Grabbed some take-out fried chicken (Popeye's) for dinner
Went to another store where I found a ham.

Yesterday was absolutely spring like around here. Today very cold though temps only in the 40's (F) with heavy wind making it feel bone chilling.

Tink
24-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Went to work particularly early this morning so I was able to be home by 4:30. That was the best part of the day. :sigh:

Crazy busy at work, but that does make the day go quickly. (Although I must admit, today seemed to drag for all its busy-ness). :unsure:

The weather is glorious by most standards. 45 or so at night (going down to maybe high 30s tonight) and mid 70s during the day. Bright sunshine and no humidity. By mid-week supposed to be back in the low 80s, but that will be the perfect 80s with a dry air and lovely breeze.

Have tomorrow off fortunately, so I can rest a bit. Our tree as you know, is up but only one present bought. I have one for Herself too (well, a set consisting of three items) nearly forgot that.

Looking forward to going to Yalaha Bakery the second weekend in December. They are having a German Christmas festival there for the first time ever, so we'll see how it is.

I'm trying really hard to focus forward instead of dwelling or looking backward.

Most specially, we are all looking forward to cocoa this Christmas Eve. Thanks to our beloved forever friends, we will carry on a tradition that Mama started. It will be beautiful.

Wendy
24-11-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm glad you have tomorrow off :hug2: and it sounds like the weather is going to be lovely.

I would love to be going to Yalaha Bakery with you.

When do you have your cocoa, is it before you go to bed :unsure:

Tink
25-11-2012, 04:06 AM
The early part of the evening. We'll have it after Seven Fishes, if we don't have dinner too late. If we do, it will be before dinner (by a couple of hours).

kazzaqld
25-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Well I have had an up and down weekend. :(

Today is Gareth's birthday so we went to my parents' place for lunch and had a lovely time.

Then I got home to find that my mother-in-law had an ophthalmologist visit this week where she's been told she will lose her vision in the next few weeks or months at most. :( Absolutely shattering news and I don't know what to do to help her. She won't be able to stay in her own place, she won't be able to look after herself there. I don't drive so I can't help there at all and my home is two level with stairs so she can't easily come to live with us. She *may* be able to live with my brother-in-law but he is in a small country town a long way away from me, and a long way from medical care.

We have offered her whatever financial help she needs but it's frustrating not to be able to help in practical ways, and so sad for her.

(ok I've brought the thread down now,sorry :sorry:!)

But I am the proud parent of a 17 year-old now! :yes:

Britchick
25-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear that Kazza, might be worth getting some expert advice about what's available vision wise, often it's better for people to stay in their homes when vision is poor as they are familiar with their environment and it reduces risk. I don't know if the whole circumstances of course, if I can be of help in any way please let me know :hug2:

Wendy
25-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Oh Karen I'm so sorry :hug2: it must be very scary for her. You need help and advice like Brit said, here for you when you need help with frustration :hug2:

Your boy just can't be 17! Where has the time gone.

Dawn
25-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Kazza :hug2:

We braved the school Christmas fair in the morning. Always a gairy experience but Steven managed to win 6 various chocklit things on the tombola. :mental: After that I nipped to Worthing and nearly got blown away doing a bit of Christmas shopping (nearly done). In the afternoon I took Steven to see Nativitiy 2. Adrian refused to come with us. :humbug: Well yeah the film is not going to win any awards it's good for a laugh with the kiddies. We was planning on dinner at Nandos afterwards but Steven decided Frankie and Bennys would be better. It wasn't, so we won't go there again. Last night two fence panels blew down.

arkvilla
25-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Ryan came home from Uni without telling us so that has absoultely made my weeekend :-)

Yesterday I ironed and as a treat we had a Indian takeaway and then I sat down with a glass of wine (or two) and watched my very favourite programme, Strictly :-) then X Factor then I'm a Celeb, a proper night of reality TV :lol:

Today we are packing for our upcoming trip and getting all Kyle's stuff sorted as he will be staying with his nan while were away.

Sandra

catrancher
25-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Finished getting the outside holiday decorations up and then the DW and I went to see "Lincoln". I thoroughly enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... fascinated by the history of it...)

Wendy
25-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Finished getting the outside holiday decorations up

Tom (:macwave:... fascinated by the history of it...)

Photos please :D

Tink
25-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Kazza, you absolutely did not bring the thread down! If you don't mind my asking a few questions about your mother in law?

Why is she losing her sight? Is there an underlying illness or disease process that will continue to debilitate her? If not, then having a Low Vision agency (Here it is the Agency for the Blind and Low Vision) come in and show her how to get along in her own home would be the first best solution. Removing someone from their home is always fraught with unseen factors (like depression that is exacerbated by feelings of being a burden, loss of control, etc.).

Perhaps, a caregiver can be arranged for part of each day? Again there are agencies here that can provide that sort of in home assistance, so I'm hoping there is something there like that too.

Loss of vision can be very devastating, but does not have to be a permanent tragedy. There are many implements, aids, and mechanical devices that can help someone to accept the situation and then become just as independent as they once were. Many, many people who have low or no vision live by themselves. :yes:

Gareth is 17. How can that be? He's just a young boy, isn't he? The inexorable pace of time...

Dawn, what is a tombola????

Catrancher, I think I'd like to see Lincoln. I'm not one for cinemas too often as I find them uncomfortable and smelly :sorry: but I can be lured into one with the promise of a good film.

catrancher
25-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Photos please :D

There's really very little to see Wendy. Just some garland over the door frame and a few strings of lights surrounding it. Some lights along the walkway. If I can get a picture of it, it'll have to be at night. During the day, nothing really shows up. I'll see what I can arrange.

Catrancher, I think I'd like to see Lincoln. I'm not one for cinemas too often as I find them uncomfortable and smelly :sorry: but I can be lured into one with the promise of a good film.

I thought it was excellent Tink. :thumbsup:

Day-Lewis as Lincoln has to be an Oscar nomination. I really think he'd be a shoe in for the award this coming year. All throughout my school life, I'd always had a mental image of Lincoln. How he looked. How he sounded. Day-Lewis brought it all to life. It was eerie how accurate he was and how totally in keeping with what I had perceived in my mind's eye.

And the political maneuvering! Somehow I had it in my head that that kind of politics was a relatively recent development. At least since the turn of the 20th century. This movie showed just how naive that viewpoint was. All in all a very enjoyable film and a fascinating glimpse of American history.

Just to prove how enthralled I was, I normally have to make a trip to the facilities at least once during a movie.
Not this time. I managed to tough it out and sit through the whole thing. :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... liked the movie, asked Santa for the book for Christmas.)

Tink
25-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Catrancher. Day-Lewis is a terrific actor (at least in the opinion of this house). Loved him in My Left Foot. My sister's favorite actor. She has watched The Last of the Mohicans about a zillion times.

The political parts, not too over the top are they? :unsure: Politics bore me to death to be honest and I don't want to be sitting through some presidential campaign regardless of how long ago it was! :lol:

catrancher
25-11-2012, 01:59 PM
The political parts, not too over the top are they? :unsure: Politics bore me to death to be honest and I don't want to be sitting through some presidential campaign regardless of how long ago it was! :lol:

No, no. Not at all. It's more like the political maneuvering to get something done in Washington. At least from the Lincoln's perspective. Lincoln was three steps ahead of everyone else in his planning. Without giving away any specifics, what you'll find is it's more like seeing him take some action at one point in the movie, fully knowing that he'd have to use it as ammunition later against his political foes. But of course, it doesn't become obvious until you get to that later spot in the movie.

I don't like the current crop of political maneuvering either but I found this glimpse of it to be fascinating! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... not a politician. By any stretch of the imagination.)

Tink
25-11-2012, 02:01 PM
OK. That sounds "safe." I work with someone who has his undergrad in poli-sci and he's fascinated by everything political. I. am. not. :D

Thanks!

uscwest
25-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Karen, so sorry to hear about your MIL. :hug2::hug2: Hope you can find a workable solution to the dilemma.

Dawn
25-11-2012, 04:53 PM
I think I might like to see Lincoln. :unsure:

Johnie
25-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Lincoln was excellent. A good majority was filmed in my hometown of Richmond VA. I even have a friend who is an extra in the film. And yes there is tons of politics in the movie. Almost makes today's name calling seem tame.

catrancher
26-11-2012, 10:20 PM
I really didn't see the name calling as political. I did find the subterfuge as political though. But then I may just be naive. :shrug:

Tom(:macwave:... politically incorrect!)

Johnie
27-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Lol well it just goes to show that name calling has been around for a long time.