PDA

View Full Version : Dundee Cake or Victoria Sandwich?

Wendy
11-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I have been asked to arrange the food for Wednesday for a friend's Uncle's wake. I had everything decided until they phoned this morning and asked me to make a cake as well.

What is appropriate, a fruit cake like a Dundee or a Victoria Sandwich, Chris said make cupcakes, but I don't know if they are approrpiate for a wake :unsure:

I'm a little stressed by it all to be honest, this will be our second funeral in 2 weeks :sigh: and with having to make sure that there will be enough food and drink for everyone, I'm beginning to panic, it just feels like to much responsibility, with all the food, the Order of Service and now cakes :sigh:

It brings back memories as well :(

arkvilla
11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Oh dear, sorry to hear of your losses Wendy. :sorry:

Not everyone likes dried fruit so maybe the Victoria sponge may be the way to go ( I love both but I love cake)

I agree on the cupcakes though, they are a bit more partyish I think.

Sandra

lisaw
11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes I would go for the Victoria Sandwich too, nice and simple, not too fussy and most people like it. Easier for you too :hug2:

uscwest
11-26-2012, 03:42 PM
I have no idea what a Victoria Sandwich is but I've seen cupcakes, not fancy ones at wakes here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MystikPiglit
11-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I would go with the Victoria sponge for this occasion. I hope you're not taking on too much again.... :hug2:

Esmeralda
11-26-2012, 08:14 PM
How about cheesescake? Everyone loves cheesescake don't they? I've never seen cake at a wake before.

Wendy
11-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Thank you all :hug2:

Diane, I probably have taken on too much, I just don't know how to say no :anxious:

I think I will probably go for the sponge, like you say Lisa it is definitely easier to make :)

I've never seen cake at a wake before, but for some reason they want it :unsure: so who am I to reason why :shrug:

MystikPiglit
11-26-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm going to make you a placard that says, "I am unable to help you at this time". :wink: :hug2:

Britchick
11-26-2012, 09:25 PM
i don't think cakes are inappropriate, we had trifle and pavlovas at my Nana's and that's what she would have wanted I think. Wendy, I'm sure you'll manage just fine, you have a very kind heart :hug2:

MystikPiglit
11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Wendy, you remind me so much of myself. :hug2:
I could never turn anyone down. I even overheard a friend one day, saying to another at a cubs meeting, "Ask Diane, she'll help you out." I wasn't sure whether to be flattered or not. :unsure:

Tink
11-27-2012, 03:37 AM
If you needed my opinion, I too would say the Victoria Sponge (will you use strawberry filling)?

I do think cake is a bit odd for a funeral meal, but then I suppose something sweet is not unwarranted.

A Victoria is always dignified. Is it generally simple to make?

I know you do too much my Dearest, but I also know you always will. :hug2:

Johnie
11-27-2012, 04:07 AM
I'm from the south and people always bring tons of food when someone dies, especially sweets. So I don't think a cake is odd at all.

Wendy
11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
In the end I've made a Victoria Sandwich with strawberry jam and butter icing and a chocolate cake with fudge icing :)

My kitchen is rather full at the moment with all the food for tomorrow, all I've got to do is make sandwiches and cook 30 cocktail pasties - well they were meant to be cocktail, but I'm not very good at making small pasties :lol: I'll put them in the oven before we leave and then they will be cooked by the time we get back.

I'll be glad once tomorrow is over :sigh:

Thank you for your advice :hug2:

Wendy
11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm glad that's all over :sigh: it was stressful and it felt like everyone was walking on egg shells :(

The sponge is all gone and there is a little bit of chocolate cake left and a few sandwiches but other than that I think the food went down well. So thank you for your advice, you were all right :hug2:

I really struggle at funerals after losing Dad, the only thing that saves me from being a jibbering wreck is singing "It's a Small World" over and over in my head :anxious: crazy aren't I :shrug:

So I can relax now and concentrate on trying to get tickets to the Robbie William concert next year :fingers:

lisaw
11-28-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm glad that's all over :sigh: it was stressful and it felt like everyone was walking on egg shells :(

The sponge is all gone and there is a little bit of chocolate cake left and a few sandwiches but other than that I think the food went down well. So thank you for your advice, you were all right :hug2:

I really struggle at funerals after losing Dad, the only thing that saves me from being a jibbering wreck is singing "It's a Small World" over and over in my head :anxious: crazy aren't I :shrug:

So I can relax now and concentrate on trying to get tickets to the Robbie William concert next year :fingers:

Wendy 'funnily' enough I sang exactly the same song in my head at my mum's funeral, happy to be crazy with you, if it works for us eh? :hug2:

Glad the food was a success and it's all over, good luck with the Robbie tickets! :hug2:

Britchick
11-28-2012, 05:23 PM
I shall be trying for tickets too;)

Wendy
11-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Wendy 'funnily' enough I sang exactly the same song in my head at my mum's funeral, happy to be crazy with you, if it works for us eh? :hug2:

Definitely Lisa, sometimes we need something :hug2:

I shall be trying for tickets too;)

Pre-sale starts tomorrow at 9am, good luck :D

Britchick
11-28-2012, 09:11 PM
You too!

MystikPiglit
11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm glad it was successful, Wendy. :hug2:
I sing 'Zip-ah-de-doo-dah' to get me through. Guess we're just one big bunch of weirdos. ;)
Good luck with tickets. :fingers: