View Full Version : planets and stars
13-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Hope its ok to ask while we're talking about astronomy
1. is it true that if its flickering its a star if not its a planet?
2. is it possible to see the space station and how can we tell what it is
3. website says look for saturn its yellow, everything looks white to me am I going mad?
4. are all the photos we see on tv artificially coloured and how do they decide on what colours to use?
13-08-2008, 08:07 AM
1. Yes you are correct a planent is much closer and its light is reflected and as such it will not appear to flicker as a stars does.
2. Yes passes of the space station occur quite often and next time they are due over the UK I will post and update with a link to the times of passing - it is a wonderful sight to see and very obvious
3. you have to let your eyes dark adapt for at least 1/2 an hour - even looking at a streetlight will mess it up and the colour thing os obvious all be it subtle
4. they try and get as close to actual colour as possible - as with my pics but there is always some artistic licence to get the prettiest effect - as to the true colopur well that depends on what wavelengths you can ssee in :D
14-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Well I've learnt something today thanks all
Im still not sure where Im looking in the sky but Ill be out there tonight
14-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Those were interesting questions and answers. :thumbs_up:
14-08-2008, 11:22 AM
We should have an Ask Chris Q and A session
I'll get my monacle :D
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.11 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.