PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a burn

Wendy
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
I burnt my hand tonight when I dishing up tea, I forgot and picked up the pan that had been in the oven :( it's on the palm where the thumb joins. I ran it under cold water as soon as I did it but it is really painful.

Any ideas what I can put on it to stop the pain?

Tinkerbell
12-12-2012, 07:49 PM
How long did you have it in water?

Tinkerbell
12-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Needs to be for 10 - 30 minutes, then take paracetamol and/or ibuprofen.
Do not cover with any creams, cover with cling film or a plastic bag if needed :hug2:

Wendy
12-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Thank you :hug2:

I ran it under the tap for about 10 mins, I've put some butter on it :lol: well thats all my Nan used to say.

I've just sent Chris out for some cling film as I don't use it, it's driving me mad and I'm frustrated typing with one hand, it takes too long.

Beccaberry
12-12-2012, 09:31 PM
My grandmother used to say the same thing :) However, when I took my professional responder class, we were told absolutely, never do that - as the butter (or any other cream) will only seal in the heat and may cause infection if there are blisters. What we WERE taught: Cool water for 10-30 minutes, followed by a light dressing (sterile gauze). If it helps - you can also spray some manner of lidocaine on it...take ibuprofen (or the like) for the pain.

So sorry you were hurt, Wen. I hope you feel better soon. :hug2: Do you think it's beyond a first-degree burn? Is it blistering?

Britchick
12-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Take the butter off Wendy, keep changing cold wet kitchen towel, maybe put done ice in a bag. How big is it?

Wendy
12-12-2012, 10:36 PM
I washed the butter off because it was smelling :lol: I've got it wrapped in cling film and it doesn't seem to be hurting as much, so hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

It's not blistering at the moment but you can see from the look of the skin that it is going to :sigh: It's in such a stupid place as well as I can't grip anything in my left hand.

The burn is about 3 x 2 inches.

I think I will have to stop using the pans like this, they are just convenient because you can use them on the top and then put them in the oven :sigh:

uscwest
12-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Oh Wendy, so sorry to hear this. Hope it heals quickly. You may want to see a Dr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Britchick
12-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Take some pain killers x

Wendy
12-12-2012, 11:14 PM
I've taken some cocodamol and brufen. Very strange question, but how long do I keep the cling film on for :unsure:

Britchick
13-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Without seeing it.... Give 111 a call in the morning, I think you got the pain covered! Hopefully you'll sleep! :hug2:

Beccaberry
13-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Keeping it covered is mostly for your comfort (it helps ease the pain) and to keep out any bacteria if there's broken skin, as well as to help keep it from drying out too quickly - leave it at your discretion. I'm guessing 111 is some sort of nurse hotline? I'd do that. You can never be too careful. Feel better, sweetie.

foreverducky
13-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Well goodness...I leave for the day and you get hurt. Take care of yourself. :hug2:

Britchick
13-12-2012, 01:46 AM
It is Becca, or go down to see your Practice Nurse tomorrow to get it checked out

Dawn
13-12-2012, 07:48 AM
I would suggest a burn that size needs to be seen by a medical person. If you can't see a practice nurse today then go to A & E - it needs a proper burns dressing.

Wendy
13-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Thank you all for your advice, I didn't sleep too badlly last night although I did take some tablets at about 3am this morning.

It felt very "tight" this morning so I've been down to the surgery, I managed to get seen after saying it wasn't life or death but its something that can't wait but I was happy to see a nurse :lol: I'm sure doctors receptionists go on a special training course :lol:

The nurse said that it wasn't a serious burn but because of the position and size it would need dressing. She said that the skin is probably going to blister as there is already a buildup forming and I was to make sure that I replace the gauze every day. Ive got an appointment to go back on Monday for her to have a look. I'm not allowed to get it wet though, so I'll have to get some disposable gloves.

I'm wondering how on earth I'm going to decorate the rest of my christmas cakes :unsure: so hopefully on Monday it will be able to be taken off :fingers:

Thank you again for your advice and hugs :) :hug2:

Kate
13-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Ooooh wendy, burns are the most painful things!! Im glad you went and got it looked at, make sure you do as youre told!! :hug2:

MystikPiglit
13-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Oh dear, sorry to hear of your mis-hap. I'm relieved to hear that you went to the surgery. I hope it heals quickly. :hug2:

Tink
14-12-2012, 10:40 AM
How is your hand today? I'm hoping it's much improved. :hug2: Burns are so painful. :sorry:

Esmeralda
14-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Get well soon XXXXXX

I can help with the cake decorating... I can bite out patterns... just call if you need me :)

foreverducky
15-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Just wanted to see how you were feeling today. :unsure:

Wendy
15-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Thank you for asking, I am a lot better :hug2: My hand only hurts when I do something silly :lol:

I changed the dressing and it isn't looking as angry as it was, but it has blistered so I'm hoping the nurse will be able to suggest something on Monday. I would have though the air would be better to dry it out, but I know I will end up catching it on something and burst one of the blisters.

canesandphins1
16-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Please no butter it's most likely an open wound I wouldn't buy butter on a cut just asking for a infection

Esmeralda
17-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Looking in to see if you're alright today X

Esmeralda
17-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the phone call Wendy... I will be round ASAP... I can do great patterns on the icing as my teef are a little bit crooked. No one will know it's teef marks hun x

Wendy
17-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Looking in to see if you're alright today X

Yes I am thank you, just got home from seeing the nurse and I have a strange looking plaster on my hand :unsure: it covers my whole palm but I can move my fingers properly now :lol: I've got to go back on Wednesday and possibly Friday.

Thanks for the phone call Wendy... I will be round ASAP... I can do great patterns on the icing as my teef are a little bit crooked. No one will know it's teef marks hun x

You confused me for a bit there :lol: :lol: :D

Slowhand
17-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Sorry Wendy, somehow I missed your original post. :sorry:

I hope your pain is easing and that you will be back up to speed in time for Christmas. :hug2:

Wendy
17-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks Terry, I'm fine, more angry and frustrated with myself than anything :rolleyes:

Britchick
18-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I hope your pain is easing and that you will be back up to speed in time for Christmas. :hug2:

yes, we wouldn't want it to interfere with your cooking of Christmas Dinner :rotfl: just kidding x

Wendy
19-12-2012, 08:43 AM
yes, we wouldn't want it to interfere with your cooking of Christmas Dinner :rotfl: just kidding x

:taunt: that is exactly what Chris said :rolleyes2:

MystikPiglit
20-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Hope it's healing up alright. :hug2:

Wendy
20-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes it seems to be thank you :hug2:

I've had to leave some of the cakes plain iced :sigh: I managed to roll the icing out but that's about it. I've bought some plastic decorations to go on the top, I'm not happy about that but needs must and all that. At least it doesn't hurt doing normal things now :rolleyes:

Esmeralda
20-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Just checking in to see if you're healing up X

Wendy
20-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Thank you :hug2: