PDA

View Full Version : Long road trip

Britchick
27-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Do you think it would be completely mad to do a 3 week driving holiday from San Diego to San Francisco? I think it would be about 22/23 hours straight doing the coast road. I'm thinking it would be doable, we've done a lot of driving in the US

catrancher
27-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Oh... taking California Route 1?

I think that would be spectacular. :yes:

And a 3 week trip would give you ample time to get off the highway and see some of the sights. I'd love to do something like that.

Tom (:macwave:... :drive:)

uscwest
27-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I agree with Tom. This would make for a lovely 3 week trip. There is so much to see and do.

Slowhand
27-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Talking of looooong road trips, I`d really love to do Route 66 sometime...even though many parts of it are difficult to find nowadays.
I`m pretty sure that I would need more than 3 weeks to do it though taking account of the sightseeing involved along the way.

Britchick
27-12-2012, 02:37 PM
That's great, now to sell it to the main driver! This wont be for a couple of years. Just starting to think about it. How long would you have in LA? How many days at DIsneyland and is it worth going to universal? Don't want to waste a day there if its just the same as Orlando.

catrancher
27-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Talking of looooong road trips, I`d really love to do Route 66 sometime...even though many parts of it are difficult to find nowadays.

A man after my own heart. :yes:

If you ever, plan to motor west
Travel my way, take the highway that's the best
Get your kicks on Route 66

It winds from Chicago to L.A.
More than two thousand miles all the way
Hey, get your kicks on Route 66

Well, now you go through St. Louie
Joplin, Missouri
And Oklahoma City looks mighty pretty
Hey Janis, now you'll see Amarillo

Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino

Won't you get hip to this timely tip
When you make that California trip

Now you go through St. Louie
Joplin, Missouri
And Oklahoma City looks mighty pretty
Now you'll see Amarillo

Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino

Won't you get hip to this timely tip
When you make that California trip
Get your kicks on Route 6 6

http://youtu.be/mQwb4SpNuKo

Tom (:macwave:... what fun!)

keith
27-12-2012, 02:53 PM
A man after my own heart. :yes:

Agreed. Wanted to do that FOREVER. Interesting about bits of it being hard to find nowadays?

Slowhand
27-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey that`s great Tom.
[Some of us are old enough to remember the Rolling Stones version also. :wink:]

Slowhand
27-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Agreed. Wanted to do that FOREVER. Interesting about bits of it being hard to find nowadays?

I stayed in St. Louis a few years ago on a business trip and I was booked into a hotel that was actually on Route 66.
They had re-modelled a stretch of the road nearby exactly how it used to be in the "good old days" which was very interesting.
I get the impression that Route 66 is a bit like travelling from A to B over here. Many years ago my Mum and I went to Blackpool each year for our holidays. As this was before the M6 it involved several hours driving on a bus from our home in Stoke through Warrington, Wigan and Preston etc.etc.
Nowadays, finding that old route is very difficult as you are continuously steered onto the M6, and I am told that the same applies in the US regarding Route 66.

keith
27-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Ahhhhh wow sure I see what you mean :yes:

I've read a lot of photo journals over the years which have charted and documented route 66 and it's always looked fascinating.

catrancher
27-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Interesting about bits of it being hard to find nowadays?

You get a sense of that in the Cars Land research video that Pixar did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j4Cgv13VfU&feature=share&list=UU1xwwLwm6WSMbUn_Tp597hQ

Hey that`s great Tom.
[Some of us are old enough to remember the Rolling Stones version also. :wink:]

True enough Terry. But since I'm a Manhattan Transfer fan, that's what you get! :taunt:

Tom (:macwave:... who now returns Britchick's thread to her possession... :hijack:)

keith
27-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Tom (:macwave:... who now returns Britchick's thread to her possession... :hijack:)

ah yes, sorry Brit! :surrender:

Britchick
27-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I was enjoying the 3 stooges performance :rotfl:

catrancher
27-12-2012, 04:08 PM
I was enjoying the 3 stooges performance :rotfl:

:unimpressed:

Tom (:macwave:... :shrug:)

Britchick
27-12-2012, 04:16 PM
You know I don't mean it really! ;p

catrancher
27-12-2012, 04:19 PM
You know I don't mean it really! ;p

You should. :whistle:

Tom (:macwave:... admits to being stoogelike on occasion.)

Dawn
27-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I did coast to coast in 3 weeks and saw tons so a single state in 3 weeks would be easy.

With the added bonus of not having the endless drive through Texas. :yawn:

uscwest
27-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Jules, I would think that 3 days should be plenty for Disneyland, depending on when you get there. We did it over a 3 day Memorial Day Weekend in 2005 and it was jammed. I can't answer about Universal as I've never done either one.

The trip itself is only a little over 500 miles and if you drove straight through you could probably do it in 7 to 8 hours, depending on traffic. That's why, even with sightseeing I would think you could easily do it in 3 weeks.

Britchick
27-12-2012, 07:55 PM
what an idiot...i meant san diego to vancouver LOL bit of a difference. Couldn't work out why Dawn was saying it was 1 state!!

Tink
28-12-2012, 09:07 AM
San Diego to Vancouver would be an incredible drive. You'd definitely have to do some research and have plans to visit somethings along the way. Seattle is a much loved city (I had to go there for work, so didn't really get to see the best of the place). Mario Battali's Father has a Salumi shop there! :D

California would be the longest portion of that drive, of course. Vancouver is absolutely wonderful! Save a good few days for that city alone.

Three weeks would definitely be a nice time, but you'll always wish you had longer.

Regarding LA, it depends on how much you want to do. Do you want to do the traditional things, like Grauman's Chinese theater, etc? Rodeo Drive? Drive along the PCH for a bit, for SURE! It's so cool to see the "famous" beaches of the old movies.

Can't help you with comparison of Universal there to Orlando. Never been to Universal in California, but I would think going to that one would be great as it is the original. Disneyland is nice if only for the historical perspective. It's a much loved park, but so very different from WDW. Kind of neat to see it all contained in one place. Again, a different perspective.

You could plan a culinary tour! Or a wine tasting tour. California has fabulous wineries, but so does Washington and Oregon is coming into its own for nice wine too.

Big Sur, Sacramento, San Francisco... Heck, Santa Monica and Santa Barbara! California alone has enough to do in three weeks to use up all your time!

But, as I said if you had a good plan worked out for things you really wanted to see and do, with some unscheduled time for impromtu stops you should have one heck of a three week adventure! :yes:

Britchick
28-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Well I was just thinking when we went to Charleston in 2007 we were there less than 3 weeks and drove to and from Atlanta (9 hours) and to and from WDW (12 hours) we didn't feel that we'd done too much. I think it's doable like you say Tink with good planning

Tink
28-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Oh, I think it's more than do-able. You'll have to have good planning so that you can select what you want to see and do from all the hundreds and hundreds of options. Driving along the coast, especially when you get near Big Sur is going to be fabulous scenery. You'll want to spend at least a day there just exploring the area and taking in the beautiful views. There are many mountain lodges in which you can book a stay.

You'll definitely want a comfy car too. I'd suggest a smallish SUV, one for the room, and two for the safety factor. :yes:

Britchick
28-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah was thinking an SUV too, that would help to convince Jon too. We had a GMC Acadia last year which was super comfortable and we didn't want to give it back

Tink
29-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Wow! That's bigger than what I had in mind, but if you've already tried it and liked it, go with what you find comfortable. You'll be in it for a long time!

Britchick
29-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Wow! That's bigger than what I had in mind, but if you've already tried it and liked it, go with what you find comfortable. You'll be in it for a long time!

Yeah it probably is as its a 7 seater and probably be only 3 of us but for the amount we would spend total on the holiday a bit extra on a car with lots of space and comfort would be worth it.

Thinking of jet lag I wonder if flying into Vancouver and finishing down south would be better, then we'll be fully acclimatised before we'd hit LA.

Tink
29-12-2012, 10:10 PM
It would certainly seem safer to me on all counts. You could even fly into Vancouver, see the city for a couple of days and then take the train into Seattle, WA. You could see that city and then pick up your car.

We were going to fly into Seattle and take the train to Vancouver, but ended up flying directly into Vancouver instead. I wish we'd taken the train after all.

Britchick
29-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Is it a nice train journey?

Tink
30-12-2012, 01:47 AM
It was described as beautiful scenery and a nice train. It's called the Cascade Line http://www.amtrakcascades.com/Tickets.htm

Britchick
30-12-2012, 09:55 AM
I can see this is going to be exciting to plan! Thanks

Britchick
01-01-2013, 08:35 PM
I`m pretty sure that I would need more than 3 weeks to do it though taking account of the sightseeing involved along the way.

found this Slowhand whilst researching.....http://www.titantravel.co.uk/north-america/usa/route-66/historic-route-66-america-s-main-street.aspx

Britchick
01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
PS i think it's too much to do vancouver to San Diego, may have to reduce my expectations.....it's 2 holidays really but do i stay north or south? arggghh

uscwest
01-01-2013, 10:20 PM
PS i think it's too much to do vancouver to San Diego, may have to reduce my expectations.....it's 2 holidays really but do i stay north or south? arggghh

Donna has done the Pacific Northwest with a girl friend. She says it is absolutely gorgeous. One of these days we'll get there even though it means no Disney that year.

Britchick
01-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Donna has done the Pacific Northwest with a girl friend. She says it is absolutely gorgeous. One of these days we'll get there even though it means no Disney that year.

That's what I'm edging towards!

Tink
02-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Start in Vancouver and work your way south from there. Get as far as you get!

Do plan on spending at least a few days in Vancouver. It's a fabulous city with much to do. :yes: Since you like seafood be sure to have a meal at Joe Fortes. http://www.joefortes.ca

Watchinherskip
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Oh how exciting! Sounds like a great trip. I know John is a SOCAL fan but I am a NOCAL fan. I took graduate classes at Cal and got to spend the summer in Berkeley. There is so much to do and see! Of course you will need to hit San Francisco. Great city, but don't forget the beautiful coastal forests and redwoods. They are awesome. Try Muir Woods and the Golden Gate Park (you can do wilderness camping right there with a view of the city, same on Angel Island), Alcatraz, Bodega Head (site of Hitchcock's The Birds), Stinson Beach, Napa and Sonoma valleys, Yosemite, and then head down to Monterey Bay.

You could just do 3 weeks there.