PDA

View Full Version : Photography course help

lozzy
06-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Me son has put photography as an course for college and his been asked to submit 5 photos, do you think they will need to be straight from the camera or would he be able to edit them?
He only needs to do this with one photo. He had to do movement and he did the cars moving at night on a motorway, the only problems is due to the shutter speed this has meant a lot of light from street lamps is affecting the photo quality.
What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tink
06-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I think they are looking to judge his skill, so if he can clean up a photo and improve it's content, wouldn't that be a part of skill?

I have no true idea, of course I'm just offering my opinion.

keith
06-01-2013, 08:44 PM
A few years ago we could've said without question it would mean a straight out of camera photo with no changes but nowadays SOME editing is almost taken as a given.

Part of it is the difference between digital and print. If you'd been asked to submit five prints from a film camera, chances are that you'd have printed them at boots and in the process of printing, boots would've colour balanced, brightness adjusted and generally made them look better (although the same process can ruin some photos of course!). With a digital process, a shot out of camera may need its brightness/levels lifted a bit and in most, if not all, competitions etc. That's considered absolutely fine and not editing as such.

Likewise noise reduction for a dark photo. Not a big deal and you could set your camera to do it anyway so doing it afterwards isn't a big deal and it doesn't change the story the photo tells.

The step past that is changing it significantly, editing out a tree or something :lol:

So with all that said, the only way to be totally sure is to ask the college. They really should have stated what they wanted in the assignment :/ but I would've thought minimal correction for lighting/colour/brightness/levels/noise would be fine even in a mainly "no editing" assignment these days.

Of course if in doubt, you could submit both the original and the edited

lozzy
06-01-2013, 10:20 PM
You've both kind of said what I thought, I have emailed the college to check and if I haven't had a reply by tomorrow then I will ring them.
The letter really wasn't any great help. see below

14043.vB

lozzy
10-01-2013, 10:35 AM
finally managed to get hold of the photography department at the college, son has been told he can edit his photos as this will also show his skills.

keith
10-01-2013, 11:34 AM
finally managed to get hold of the photography department at the college, son has been told he can edit his photos as this will also show his skills.

There you go! it's a different world these days isn't it :lol:

lozzy
10-01-2013, 12:45 PM
There you go! it's a different world these days isn't it :lol:

Isn't it just.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wendy
12-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Did you son get accepted for the course Laura :unsure:

lozzy
12-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Oh yes he did, sorry I forgot to update everyone.

Here are the photos he submitted for the course. His photos were excepted straight away which he was really pleased with.

14608.vB

14609.vB

14610.vB

14611.vB

14612.vB

We just have to hope he gets all the grades he needs now.

Wendy
12-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm so glad he has been accepted depending on his grades, :fingers: he gets what he needs :)

lozzy
12-03-2013, 08:21 PM
His a really bright kid and is on track to get his grades.
His got a few tough months ahead with revision and exams but he is very level headed and quite laid back, so I'm sure he will take it all in his stride.

Tink
13-03-2013, 02:14 AM
So pleased for him that he was accepted! He's a handsome young man. :yes: (Presuming that is him in the photo).

lozzy
13-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Yes Tink that's him, he had to do a self portrait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscwest
13-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Looks like some pretty good photography work there. Hope he gets what he desires as well as grades.