PDA

View Full Version : Learn Guitar?

keith
11-01-2013, 11:20 AM
ok weird one :lol:

I've always fancied having a go at the guitar but never have.

If I wanted to mess around and try a little, should I go for an electric? an acoustic? a combination? Any other hints/tips ?

Britchick
11-01-2013, 11:40 AM
i had spanish classical lessons when i was living in spain as a child, still got a little bit and there's some things you never forget, i still have the guitar -it's beautiful and Jon taught himself- he has electric and accoustic guitars. I'll ask him how he did it when he gets home- think he subscribed to an online course- watched you tube videos etc. He found it very relaxing

keith
11-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Any advice more than welcome :yes:

I'm under no illusions about how terrible I'll be :lol: but I just want to try it as a relaxation technique to get away from the computer screen for awhile

Wendy
11-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Hhhmmm.............Keith :guitar: or :guitar2: or :marley:

Helen :lalala:

:wink:

Britchick
11-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Any advice more than welcome :yes:

I'm under no illusions about how terrible I'll be :lol: but I just want to try it as a relaxation technique to get away from the computer screen for awhile

why do you assume you'd be terrible? :unsure: you may be the next Jimi Hendrix :wink: It is very relaxing and i remember playing my guitar while suffering from teenage angst!

Watchinherskip
11-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Oh, my dream guitar is a Martin 0018!:worship:I am not worthy! I am not worthy!

I noticed that if you have garage band on your computer there are lessons that you can download. They looked pretty cool

keith
11-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Oh, my dream guitar is a Martin 0018!:worship:I am not worthy! I am not worthy!

I noticed that if you have garage band on your computer there are lessons that you can download. They looked pretty cool

Good point! I'd forgotten about garageband

Dawn
11-01-2013, 06:15 PM
I taught myself and have just started teaching a friend's son. I'd say get a steel string acoustic and a couple of books and prepare to get sore fingers. :yes:

Watchinherskip
11-01-2013, 06:35 PM
I taught myself and have just started teaching a friend's son. I'd say get a steel string acoustic and a couple of books and prepare to get sore fingers. :yes:

For sure...ouch!! Get a decent one, perhaps second hand that has a nice action, strings close to the frets that do not require great amounts of force to make chords.

Dawn
11-01-2013, 06:50 PM
And the first thing you have to learn is Smoke on the Water :guitar:

Tink
12-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Soak your fingers in vinegar. That helps. :yes:

Acoustic, definitely. Close to the frets as already stated. Peaceful strumming, classical Renaissance style is beautiful.

catrancher
12-01-2013, 12:57 PM
I've got several. My stable includes:

Taylor NS24CE (nylon string acoustic)
Taylor DDX Doyle Deluxe (steel string acoustic - full size. No longer available.)
Ibanez AG95 (cheapo electric jazz axe)
D'Angelico EXS 1 DH (my serious electric jazz axe)
Taylor GS-Mini (steel string "travel" guitar)

Of all of them the GS-Mini is my hands down, all time, favorite, go to guitar. It's small, comfortable, and just begs to be picked up. It's a reasonably short scale (length from nut to bridge or sounding length of the strings) so it's very easy to fret. I've added a K&K Pure Mini (http://www.kksound.com/puremini.html) pickup to it and plugged in through a DI box, it just screams. But truthfully, most of the time I just play it unplugged. If the house were being blown away and I could only save one guitar, my GS-Mini would be it.

Now, who's gonna teach you? :unsure:

If you're interested, I can personally vouch for the Learn and Master Guitar (http://www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/) series. I've been using the course since 2008 and can absolutely say if you're looking for a video based self instruction system, this one can't be beat. It's how I've learned. Granted, when I started learning guitar with it, I already knew how to read music, but even if you don't, they'll teach you. The main thing I like about it is it's a very structured lesson plan. There's lots of places that claim to be able to "teach you this song" or whatever, but this course sets the necessary groundwork that gives you the base knowledge and allows you to grow as a musician. You may be able to tell, I'm a fan. And the guy who teaches the course (Steve Krenz) really cares. He's a professional musician and session player in Nashville. If you want to see what the course content looks like (as least the printed material), here's the link to the course book (http://www.learnandmaster.com/resources/Learn-and-Master-Guitar-Lesson-Book.pdf). Gibson guitars recently bought out Legacy Learning Systems and so, they now sponsor the whole thing. Gibson also has their Skills House (http://www2.gibson.com/Lessons/Skills-House.aspx) where Steve also teaches specific lessons.

So, now that I've rambled on for what seems like forever, I'll leave you to your axe shopping and this bit of acoustic guitar:

http://youtu.be/S33tWZqXhnk

Well, it's something to aspire to. Isn't it? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... you're gonna love it!)

Dawn
12-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm awkward. I'm left handed. :D

I have a Tanglewood steel acoustic. It's an entry level guitar but it has a lovely tone to it so I stick with it.

josh.p.
12-01-2013, 07:04 PM
I tried to learn guitar once, I failed badly :lol: I did however get quite good at Clarinet and picked up the saxophone for a while, too. The biggest mistake I learned was to stop lessons as my teacher was awful, and I lost interest (I was 14!) I wish I could still play it now!

Slowhand
13-01-2013, 04:05 PM
The biggest mistake I learned was to stop lessons as my teacher was awful, and I lost interest (I was 14!) I wish I could still play it now!
I know exactly how you feel Josh.
I had piano lessons when I was a boy but at the time I felt a bit of a wally when all of my friends were in the street playing football etc. so I stopped having the lessons after 18 months or so. To this day I regret not carrying on with them.
I did however take up the guitar when I was in my teens and was in a band for around a year, but this came to a sticky end after a couple of my band members went to university.
The only thing that I play nowadays is the cd player or the radio! :lol:

keith
08-03-2013, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=catrancher;299989
If you're interested, I can personally vouch for the Learn and Master Guitar (http://www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/) series. I've been using the course since 2008 and can absolutely say if you're looking for a video based self instruction system, this one can't be beat. It's how I've learned. Granted, when I started learning guitar with it, I already knew how to read music, but even if you don't, they'll teach you. The main thing I like about it is it's a very structured lesson plan. There's lots of places that claim to be able to "teach you this song" or whatever, but this course sets the necessary groundwork that gives you the base knowledge and allows you to grow as a musician. You may be able to tell, I'm a fan. And the guy who teaches the course (Steve Krenz) really cares. He's a professional musician and session player in Nashville. [/QUOTE]

Just by way of an update, thanks for all the advice :) I ended up with a cheapy yamaha guitar which I just "liked" :D for no intellectual reason at all! I also bought the course recommended above and I'm enjoying it. Steve Krenz really does seem good.

I should add I'm completely rubbish at it, but I enjoy messing with it :D

Tink
08-03-2013, 11:06 AM
If you are enjoying your time with it, and it helps reduce the stress of your hectic work pace then it's doing the job! Now, when can we expect to see you on youtube? "Keith and the Secrets!"

keith
08-03-2013, 11:23 AM
If you are enjoying your time with it, and it helps reduce the stress of your hectic work pace then it's doing the job! Now, when can we expect to see you on youtube? "Keith and the Secrets!"

:lol: well unless it's a comedy sketch, that could be some time... but we have sirs slowhand and catrancher so I reckon we have a pretty good group already!

Tink
08-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Oh yes! That would be a GREAT group. Lessee... The Three Amigos? Nah... The Three Desperados? Nah... The Three Wise Men? Nah...

K and the Ts? Nah...

Secret Disney Men? :D :D :D OHHHHHHH, maybe now?! :lol:

catrancher
08-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Just by way of an update, thanks for all the advice :) I ended up with a cheapy yamaha guitar which I just "liked" :D for no intellectual reason at all! I also bought the course recommended above and I'm enjoying it. Steve Krenz really does seem good.

Glad you're enjoying it! :yes:

Don't know if you've found out yet but they also have a forum (http://community.learnandmaster.com/index.php?/forum/1-gibsons-learn-master-guitar/) where you can ask your questions and get help. Also, they do a live lesson on UStream just about every Tuesday night. Quite often they'll have some serious talent there working with them doing the live broadcast. Once you've logged in, you can participate via chat.
Of course, it'd be at oh-dark-thirty for you but if you happen to be up in the middle of the night. :D
They also have brief extra lessons on the Gibson's Skills House (http://www2.gibson.com/Lessons/Skills-House.aspx) if you're so disposed.

Now, take your "cheapy yamaha guitar" as you put it and do both it and you a favor. Go find a good local luthier and get it setup. It's not expensive and it will make it so much easier to play if it's setup correctly. :thumbsup:

I should add I'm completely rubbish at it, but I enjoy messing with it :D

Rubbish. As in "criticize severely and reject as worthless"? Nonsense. :nono:

You're learning. And that takes two things. Personally, I call them P squared. Practice and Persistence. A simple half hour per day of dedicated practice. If you can do more. Great. But a half hour per day. Applied consistently will produce results that right now, you can only imagine.

I'll admit that with the guitar, I don't have a lot of room to talk. But when I was a kid learning clarinet, I learned the value of the above. My parents made me practice each night after dinner for a half hour religiously. I couldn't go outside, watch tv, nothing until I'd practiced. At the time I hated it. But fairly quickly I discovered that the more I practiced, the less it seemed like work. Soon, the clarinet just became an extension of me. I didn't have to think about the instrument anymore. My hands knew what to do. I could concentrate at that point on learning the music. It was a remarkable revelation.
My only regret is that I didn't stick with music through my later life. :sigh:

but we have sirs slowhand and catrancher so I reckon we have a pretty good group already!

I cannot speak for Sir Slowhand but as for me... :exit:

Tom (:macwave:... back in from time to time.)

catrancher
08-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Oh yes! That would be a GREAT group. Lessee... The Three Amigos? Nah... The Three Desperados? Nah... The Three Wise Men? Nah...

K and the Ts? Nah...

Secret Disney Men? :D :D :D OHHHHHHH, maybe now?! :lol:

Two twits and a moron? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... I get to be the moron!)

catrancher
08-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Here's another example of what practice can do...

http://youtu.be/8KsVtD01cgw

Tom (:macwave:... got the music to that one. Now if I could just play it!)

catrancher
08-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Hey Keith!

BTW - you may be interested in this (http://www.tommyemmanuel.com/tours/). Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor are doing concerts throughout the UK. Some are pretty close to you I think. Starting tomorrow night! :D

My DW and I saw Tommy here a year or so ago. As we left the concert, her comment was "he's like a whole orchestra by himself"!

Wonderful show. And seriously inspirational.

Tom (:macwave:... would love to be going myself!)

Slowhand
08-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Hey Keith I`m glad to see that you went for it. :yes:
It won`t be long now before you buy a Fender Stratocaster eh? :lol:

keith
08-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Hey Keith I`m glad to see that you went for it. :yes:
It won`t be long now before you buy a Fender Stratocaster eh? :lol:

:lol: I could buy one, but I'm sure I'd sound equally bad on that

Your advice came in VERY useful by the way, many many thanks!

ps. did you get my recent rambling email?

Slowhand
08-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Yes I did Keith.....I meant to reply but somehow it slipped through the net.....sorry. :sorry:
Many, many thanks for your help. :hug2: [man hug!]

keith
08-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Yes I did Keith.....I meant to reply but somehow it slipped through the net.....sorry. :sorry:
Many, many thanks for your help. :hug2: [man hug!]

:lol: totally no probs and no hurry at all from my side :)

Wendy
08-03-2013, 08:23 PM

Some things never change then :taunt:

keith
08-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Some things never change then :taunt:

:taunt:

Johnie
17-03-2013, 02:40 AM
How is it coming along Keith?

I decided when I was in the 8th grade (12/13 years old) that I was going to become a rock star. I wanted to learn to play drums but my parents said no so I settled for the guitar. Went to lessons for about a year. Needless to say, I never did become a rock star but I learned to play Love Me Tender and Greensleeves. Anyone can play Love Me Tender!! :lol: I found that I hated to practice. I would love to play an instrument.

keith
17-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Well I love the actual guitar, so cool :lol: and the learn by DVD is great. The guy really knows his stuff and it's very easy to follow.

I do think that my fingers need to be longer with about 10 more joints to be able to actual play the thing though :lol:

Slowhand
17-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Have your finger tips developed calouses [sp?] yet Keith.
My fingers almost bled until the skin at the end of my finger tips hardened up when I first started.

Wendy
17-03-2013, 12:40 PM
My fingers almost bled until the skin at the end of my finger tips hardened up when I first started.

Umm, and playing guitar is supposed to be relaxing :unsure:

keith
17-03-2013, 12:52 PM

They're definitely hurting :lol: I'm just hoping my fingers become more capable as I practice

Tink
17-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Soak them in vinegar... your fingertips, I mean. :D

Slowhand
17-03-2013, 02:10 PM
They're definitely hurting :lol: I'm just hoping my fingers become more capable as I practice
In time the ends of your fingers will get rock hard Keith and you`ll no longer experience any pain. :yes: