PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

Tink
16-08-2008, 03:16 PM
News report just indicated that the time this weekend will be best spent getting in supplies and getting ready for Fay. :sigh;

She's a tropical storm right now, coming in over Cuba, expected to be a hurricane and hit along the west coast of Florida sometime Monday.

Path could change of course, but time to get ready.

So, I'll be out getting some additional supplies. Batteries, water... :sigh;

Please, just for me? No one say the stinking "h" word, ok? :(

Dawn
16-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Don't forget to fill the gas tank. :sigh;

Tink
16-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh geez. Thanks. Have two tanks to fill now. :sigh;

Have a heavy schedule of FL visits next week too. Will probably have to change all that. :sigh;

mainecoon lover
16-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I hope it misses you. Take care of yourselfs :hug2:

Tink
16-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Ugh. Me too Mainecoon Lover, but the alternative is no less worrying. My Seth lives on the west coast with his Da. :( If the 'cane hits land as currently predicted, he's right in the path. :( I refuse to worry about that right now though, as the paths of these things always change (as we saw with great disaster in 04 with Charley). :eek:

Dorothy
16-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Good friends of ours have just moved to Port St. Lucy (or however the heck you spell it) and they are NOT going to be happy if a the H word moves in where they are :rolleyes008: Although having lived their whole lives in tornado county, maybe it won't be so bad for them :sigh;

lisaw
16-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Hoping Fay takes the best possible course for everybody. Stay safe and keep us updated as much as possible. :hug2:

uscwest
16-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Good grief. This is the first time I have heard Fay mentioned. Hope it misses Tink.

Isafari
16-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Hoping it misses Tink and Florida too. Hopefully it will change course over the next day or so. :fingers:

Tink
16-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Will keep you updated as often as I can. Have to go out now and get some things to be ready, so I'll be gone for a bit.

Port St. Lucie is north of where landfall is supposed to be Dorothy. To that end, there may be tornadoes that are spawned from hurricanes, so if they are familiar with those, then they need to be alert to the possibility of having multiple tornadoes in their area.

MystikPiglit
16-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Stay safe. :hug1:

luvthemouse
16-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Hope it will change course Tink!! How on earth did we get up to "F" already??:confused: We could really use a tropical system, without all the nasty wind of course, up here. It's really starting to get dry here again..

Claire
16-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm keeping my :fingers: for everyone that could be affected by Fay. Lets hope it takes the best possible course.

piglet
16-08-2008, 06:27 PM
:lipwobble:you keep your head down Tink. :fingers: it will change direction and you'll be okay

Taja
16-08-2008, 08:33 PM
:fingers:

I promise not to use either of the "H" words! :)

keith
16-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Stay safe Tink :hug2:

Dizneyblonde
16-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Thinking of you Tink and hoping all turns out OK.

Stay safe :hug2: XXX

kazzaqld
16-08-2008, 09:00 PM
My thoughts are with you - take care and stay safe OK! :hug2:

dvcjane
16-08-2008, 09:32 PM
heres how it looks so far

PsychoAlice
16-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Im waaaaay over here huffn and puffin trying to get Fay to change direction!!

Tink
16-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Thank you PsychoAlice! :yes:

Unfortunately, she's headed right for the gulf, so there aren't many options. Florida, the Panhandle area, or points west in the gulf. :(

Right now they are forecasting wind speeds of 85 MPH as it makes landfall and works its way inland (or directly up the coast). One path has it going directly over our house. :sigh;

I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about that path though, as I've learned one firm thing about 'canes and that is they are TOTALLY unpredicatable with regard to path, landfall and direction.

We bought some extra water today. Batteries, and new electric lantern and some other bits and odds. We try to keep shelf stable food on hand always so we didn't need to get much of that.

The store were jammed terrible! It's the last weekend before school for many kids (Monday is the start date. Wonder if they'll end up with it off) so families were out in force buying school supplies and clothes.

I heard one woman yelling at the young girl she was with. :( The woman called her stupid (at the top of her lungs I might add) and the child just wilted. It bothered me all afternoon and still bothers me. :( I wish people would realize how much long term (sometimes permanent) damage they do when they treat children like that.

At any rate, we're back home and I'm going to try and sneak in a swim. It's been raining off and on all day, but right now it's a bit sunny.

SleepinCatz
17-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Ya'll be careful hun....I've been twitchie about the "h" word since Katrina.....

Tink
17-08-2008, 01:36 AM
:hug2: Ayuh. Same here. :(

Tink
17-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Crist has declared a state of emergency. :(

Shellyamc
17-08-2008, 03:29 AM
pixie dust pixie dust and even more pixie dust....:hug2:

Beccaberry
17-08-2008, 03:40 AM
What is the lastest on when it's expected to make landfall, Tink? If it hasn't already (I've been out all day, and have only watched the Olympics since...)

Please stay safe :hug2:

Tink
17-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Still saying Monday afternoon. Haven't watched much of an update myself. :spring:

The olympics are just too addicting! LOL!

Heading for some rest now though. See you all in the morning. I'll update then. :yes:

Beccaberry
17-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Peaceful nights sleep to you and yours.... :fingers: that we have better news in the morning.

Tink
17-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Fay has slowed, and is now scheduled to make landfall sometime Tuesday. The path is now adjusted to be more certain to effect Orlando than previously thought. Again, the path changes so often that I don't much get worried about that until the storm gets much closer.

The storm is responsible for four deaths in the Dominican Republic. :( It is now headed for Cuba.

One of the main concerns about Fay and the Orlando area is the potential for flooding. With all the rain we've had lately, the amount likely to result from a hurricane could cause serious issues.

It's still a Tropical Storm too, by the way. So that is something.

MystikPiglit
17-08-2008, 12:44 PM
The woman called her stupid (at the top of her lungs I might add) and the child just wilted. It bothered me all afternoon and still bothers me. :( .

:hug1: I hate to see that too, it makes me very sad.

Sending some more :pixiedust: and good luck. Take care. :hug2:

Tink
18-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Storm has shifted in the night. Headed due north out of Cuba now. That brings it over Marathon Key, over Ft. Myers and through to Central Florida.

It's still truly too early to be confident in the path (and I'm watching the meteorologist that called the Charley landfall in Punta Gorda) but central Florida is still being threatened. :sigh;

It does have some indication of losing it's formation though. It could regroup and strengthen over those 90 miles of warm sea water between Cuba and the Keys, though.

As will all natural events, you just never know...

Wendy
18-08-2008, 10:57 AM
:hug1: Try not to worry Tink :hug1:

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm not worrying overmuch. :hug1: I am more concerned about my schedule as weird as that sounds. I have trainings scheduled for the next three days with a visit on the west coast for the last two days. I'm not sure what to cancel and reschedule, or whether to just leave it all and play it by ear.

I'm not so sure I want to be on the road tomorrow (headed for Melbourne and back) plus, I'm not sure the ALF that I would be visiting will want to concentrate on training when they may need to be dealing with a hurricane or threats of tornadoes and the like.

Just one of those disruptions in life that leave you wondering if you've made the best choice for all concerned.

Claire
18-08-2008, 11:08 AM
:sigh; I feel terribly selfish that so many people's lives are affected by these storms when all I think about is my fast approaching holiday. I check the Orlando Sentinel site hourly then come here and realise I've got nothing to worry about in the grand scheme of things. Good luck everyone for the best possible outcome.

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Don't apologize Claire! I used to do the same when living in the northeast! :yes: Winter storms were a real issue, and I was forever wondering if one (or more) were going to interfere with my WDW visits!

Slowhand
18-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Any idea what the ground area affected is likely to be Tink? The reason I ask is that some friends of ours will be visiting Islamorada [on our recommendation!] and this is around a 15/20 minute drive from Marathon! :shocked025:

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:43 AM
It's a wide path, if it is expected to make landfall at Marathon, then all of the Keys will feel it.

Right now it's still a tropical storm. That is better than a full blown hurricane, of course but it still carries the ability to spawn tornadoes and drop enough rain to cause serious flooding. In many areas of FL (central FL being one) there has been so much rain this summer there will be no place for the extra rain from this storm to go.

They are evacuating the Keys right now, but not mandatory. Most visitors should be heading out though. It's not really safe to stick around as you never know if the managment of your hotel is going to close it or not! :eek:

Taja
18-08-2008, 01:22 PM
According to CNN just now, visitors have been ordered to evacuate the Florida Keys.

As Tink noted, probably a good idea whether ordered or not! :)

luvthemouse
18-08-2008, 02:52 PM
It seems that the "H" season just keeps getting worse and worse every year..

cathydisneynut
18-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Hope you and everyone in Florida stays safe...:hug2::hug2:

PsychoAlice
18-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Orlando is WET WET WET...poor Bob (brother..not mine but someone elses) rode the Harley from work in it....

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:00 PM
NOT a fun thing. :sigh;

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Thank you cathydisneynut! :hug2:

BevW
18-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Tink, you can always pack up and come and stay with me. I don't think there's ever been a hurricane here.

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Well, that is a thought! :D

BevW
18-08-2008, 11:03 PM
You don't even have to let me know....I'll leave the light on for ya.

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Oooooh! Just like Motel 6? :D :lol:

Problem is, I'd never get a flight now. :sigh;

I'll just have to ride it out here. Next time tell me sooner! :lol: ('Course I could come after this one is done and just spend the rest of hurricane season with you). :D

BevW
18-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Ooooh now that's a thought! Well, I do have the "Spar Ooom" as the girls call it.
it's all yours!

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:11 PM
LOL! I like the sounds of a Spar Oom! :yes: You are one generous lady! :yes: (Now, seriously what would you do if I just pulled into the driveway in a little rental car, hauled out a humungous suitcase and yelled, BEEEVVVVV!!! I'm heeeeeeeeerreee!?

:laugh:

PsychoAlice
19-08-2008, 02:20 AM
But on Bevs side of the mountain they have tornadoes....ummm we have no natural disasters here.....:wink: come stay with me and then you can fly back with me!

Tink
19-08-2008, 02:44 AM
WELL!!! THAT is one heck of a vacation! :yes:

Oh, wait. You have those huge dogs, right? I'se skeered a' big dogs Miz Scahlett! :eek:

Tinkerbell
19-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Sister Tink, you stay safe y'hear? :hug2:

PsychoAlice
19-08-2008, 04:17 AM
LOL my lazy boys who nap all day and sleep all night?

I need to take a picture of them snuggled together on their dog bed...they are the sweetest things...

Tink
19-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Wellll, maybe...

Just checked on Seth and his Da. They live in the vicinity where the storm made landfall. They are ok, and managed to hold their power, whereas some other areas did not.

We are getting the feeder bands now for sure, and have the threat of tornadoes. We are on the news right now as a matter of fact, as the place where the activity of the feeder bands is particularly violent. :rolleyes2: Tornadoes a definite possibility.

Still the real threat of flooding. Wet all day, they are saying. Vertical and horizontal rain, falling with up to 50 mph winds. So, it doesn't seem like a Charley, Fran or Jeanne, than heaven! :D

mainecoon lover
19-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Wellll, maybe...

Just checked on Seth and his Da. They live in the vicinity where the storm made landfall. They are ok, and managed to hold their power, whereas some other areas did not.

We are getting the feeder bands now for sure, and have the threat of tornadoes. We are on the news right now as a matter of fact, as the place where the activity of the feeder bands is particularly violent. :rolleyes2: Tornadoes a definite possibility.

Still the real threat of flooding. Wet all day, they are saying. Vertical and horizontal rain, falling with up to 50 mph winds. So, it doesn't seem like a Charley, Fran or Jeanne, than heaven! :D

So pleased its not a hurricane. You will feel like you are in the UK with vertical and horizontal rain. We get it most days.

MystikPiglit
19-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Glad to hear Seth is ok. :hug2:

You will feel like you are in the UK with vertical and horizontal rain. We get it most days.

:lol:

Tink
19-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Meant to say that when it came on land it was still Tropical Storm force and had never made it to Hurricane force so that is a good thing.

The parks are open today. Actually, except for the real threat of the tornadoes (warnings all over the place) today is much like the rest of the summer days that we've been suffering through. :shrug: Not a nice day to be in the parks. It's hot, and icky rainy. You know how much fun that is to be in a plastic poncho in the heat. :sigh;

New report saying sustained winds at 60 MPH. Hurricane warnings suspended, tropical storm warnings in effect. Tornado watch for all of Central and South Florida all day. One has touched down near Wellington FL. Flood watches remain in effect.

Taja
19-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Glad you're all okay, Tink! Hope you're working from somewhere safe and not on the road today.

I slept in this morning--late nights and early mornings caught up with me!--and just turned on the television. Looks like CNN is predicting Fay will skirt the Orlando area. Lots of wind and rain, though.

:fingers: for everyone!

Tinkerbell
19-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Meant to say that when it came on land it was still Tropical Storm force and had never made it to Hurricane force so that is a good thing.

The parks are open today. Actually, except for the real threat of the tornadoes (warnings all over the place) today is much like the rest of the summer days that we've been suffering through. :shrug: Not a nice day to be in the parks. It's hot, and icky rainy. You know how much fun that is to be in a plastic poncho in the heat. :sigh;

New report saying sustained winds at 60 MPH. Hurricane warnings suspended, tropical storm warnings in effect. Tornado watch for all of Central and South Florida all day. One has touched down near Wellington FL. Flood watches remain in effect.

We haven't decided what to do yet today. Have long leisurely breakfast and then will discuss what to do.

Very happy that Fay never made it to hurricane force. :p015:

Tink
19-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Rain is expected to pick up this afternoon and early evening. I'm not sure about that though. It seems as though the worst of it is south of here and more on the east coast.

Being in the parks can't be too bad today.

(The wind is a bit stronger than it was).

Oh, I am home today thanks, Taja. I canceled my appointments for yesterday and today because of the storm. I'm on the road again tomorrow.

Jazmine
19-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Omgosh please keep safe Tink :hug2: and all our other friends out there, let us know how you are if you can
Love Jacqui :hug2: xxx

Tinker
19-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Thinking of you Sister Tink . :hug2:

Claire
19-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I've got one window open with the Orlando Sentinel web cam on. It's looking a little wet and windy now.

Tink
19-08-2008, 10:29 PM
It is. It's the weirdest storm. It's strength is INCREASING over land! :eek:

It is now expected to become a full hurricane. :(

There has been at least one very violent tornado in Melbourne. Houses rendered unliveable. :(

Sky is gray and weird here, with the lashing rain starting.

Just when you thought it was done... :confused:

Claire
19-08-2008, 10:32 PM
It is. It's the weirdest storm. It's strength is INCREASING over land! :eek:

It is now expected to become a full hurricane. :(

There has been at least one very violent tornado in Melbourne. Houses rendered unliveable. :(

Sky is gray and weird here, with the lashing rain starting.

Just when you thought it was done... :confused:

No fun eh? Nature is never easy to understand. Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping Fay is gone very soon.

Tink
19-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Oh so very true, Claire! Thank you! :hug1:

Beccaberry
19-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Sounds dreadful, Tink :hug2:

Please take care of you and yours, is it keeping you from work at all?

Tink
20-08-2008, 02:01 AM
It kept me from the appointments I had Monday and today (for training ALF staff) but I work from home otherwise, so I've had enough work to keep me busy. I'm going to keep tomorrow's appointment and hope for the best.

It's raining tonight. Wind isn't terribly strong, just weird. It's making the water in the pool roll in a funny way. :unsure: I keep watching the screen on the pool enclosure puff in and out. Makes me nervous. Screen that moves can tear.

Beccaberry
20-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Indeed it can. And wind can be a dangerous thing. Very dangerous indeed.

*sigh*

MystikPiglit
20-08-2008, 04:11 PM

Sad news.

You stay safe now. :hug2:

Tink
20-08-2008, 05:14 PM
I am, thanks. :yes: :hug2: Still raining. Just heard a bunch of emergency vehicle sirens. Not sure what is going on, but there sure seemed to be a lot of them. :(

NOT a good day to be in the parks. Again! :sigh;

Johnie
20-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Of course this thing has the same name as my evil monster in law......she's full of air and unpredictable too.

Stay safe :hug2:

Tinkerbell
21-08-2008, 01:56 PM
NOT a good day to be in the parks. Again! :sigh;

Still pretty awful here :(

Went to DHS yesterday, very ickly weather, still warm and humid but now very wet and windy too :mad:

I heard a rumor that the parks might close, but I knew it wasn't true because Dawn isn't here :gy:

Seriously though, I hope you stay safe sister Tink :hug2:

MystikPiglit
21-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Hope you are managing to have fun anyway. :hug2:

BevW
21-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I've been watching this on the news! This storm looks HUGE on the radar. Stay safe Tink!

Claire
21-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Just checked the webcam and it is dreadful!

Tink
21-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Sister Tinkerbell, I am so sorry you are here for this horrid weather. :(

I'm in Bradenton now, Anna Maria Island actually. I may go down to the ocean (gulf) and get some shots. It's a bit messy.

Apparently the storm is headed back across Florida? :unsure: That means I'll be driving into it tomorrow as it heads for the gulf and I head for home.

This sure is one weird darn storm.

Just feel bad for our members who are trying to enjoy their holidays. It's not been a good many days. :(

Isafari
21-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Just checked the webcam and it is dreadful!

What webcam are you looking at Claire?

Claire
21-08-2008, 11:13 PM
What webcam are you looking at Claire?

This one here (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sorcerermickey-live-at-disney) Issy. Earlier the rain was so heavy the road was like a river and the bush at the end of SM's path was bent right over.

Isafari
21-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks Claire....didn't know that was there

Tink
21-08-2008, 11:16 PM
That's the way it is. Miserable. :(

Nice idea for him to put up a webcam! :yes: He's a good egg, that one. :yes:

Claire
21-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks Claire....didn't know that was there
You're welcome. It's getting dark now and I've been glued to it all day. I felt sorry for the kids stood in the pouring rain this morning waiting for the school bus.

Claire
21-08-2008, 11:18 PM
That's the way it is. Miserable. :(

Nice idea for him to put up a webcam! :yes: He's a good egg, that one. :yes:

He sure is.

Tink
21-08-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm surprised the Orange County schools weren't closed. :(

Brevard County is a mess. Flooding is really taking a toll over there. :( Cocoa Beach was getting hammered last I heard on the morning news. :(

I know it's no Katrina, but it's still doing damage in its own right. :(

Tinker
21-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Looks pretty nasty, Sister Tink, please be safe .

Tink
21-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I will Sister Tinker. I am going to go out to the beach in a bit. I had enough sense to bring my camera along this time, so maybe I can get a few shots of what it looks like on this side of the state. It's WAY windier than I expected it to be.

MystikPiglit
22-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Apparently the storm is headed back across Florida? :unsure: That means I'll be driving into it tomorrow as it heads for the gulf and I head for home.

Oh dear, take great care. :hug2:

Tink
22-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Weather is nasty here on the west coast now. Rain and heavy cloud coverage. I think I'm going to leave here a bit early today. I don't want to be driving in the dark.

Thank you all for your good wishes! :z5:

Taja
23-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Hope you're home safe and sound, Tink!

When I checked The Weather Channel earlier today, it appeared that the Orlando area was still being flogged by the trailing band of the storm. :sigh;

As you said, it's a crazy storm. :(

Beccaberry
23-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Hope things are a bit more peaceful there this evening...

Tink
23-08-2008, 01:54 AM
I am home safe, thanks.

No Becca, afraid not. :sigh; It's pouring down right now and has been for the majority of the afternoon and evening. We've had to let some water out of the pool, and it's filling back up fast. :sigh;

Beccaberry
23-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Argh. That doesn't sound peaceful at all...

Heard on the news this morning that Fay set a new record for having hit Florida four times...

Not a fun record.

Hope she clears out soon.

Tink
23-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Sun is out right now. I thought we were going to have to build an ark last night though! That rain just kept coming and coming and coming!

We'll see how long it holds off for today.

Beccaberry
23-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Enjoy the sun, Tink... :fingers: that it lasts

Shellyamc
23-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Wow..sounds like she caused some major trouble after all! Glad to hear that you came through ok :hug2: Keep that ark close just in case!

Taja
23-08-2008, 07:51 PM
:fingers: for that sunshine to continue, Tink!