PDA

View Full Version : Carousel of Progress - Like or Dislike?

Wendy
06-02-2013, 09:33 AM
So, do you really enjoy the Carousel of Progress or is it something you've done once and wouldn't do again :unsure:

For me, I've been on it once on our first visit and can't really see myself going on it again :sorry:

Tink
06-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I like it, but then I like old things. :D I like to see the different items in each vignette. I like the "through the decades" sort of story too. Needs a bit of updating though. The last section is a little old...

Johnie
06-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I love it! It's so Walt which makes me happy

catrancher
06-02-2013, 12:41 PM
We love it too! :yes:

It's on our must-do list on every trip. I've loved it since I first saw it at the 1964 NY World's Fair!

Tom (:macwave:... hope they keep it forever!)

BUTTERHEAD1
06-02-2013, 12:44 PM
It's one of my faves, I am a fan of Uncle Orville and the song It's a great big beautiful tomorrow. A dark room with A/C is a nice thing on an August afternoon.

uscwest
06-02-2013, 01:03 PM
We quite enjoy it, especially on a hot day. I do think the final scene could be updated to be more modern however.

Watchinherskip
06-02-2013, 01:36 PM
We love it too! :yes:

It's on our must-do list on every trip. I've loved it since I first saw it at the 1964 NY World's Fair!

Tom (:macwave:... hope they keep it forever!)

I am with Tom on this one....love it in NYWF and still love it...it is a MUST for every trip along with the WEDway/TTA

MystikPiglit
06-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Looooooooooove it!!!!
A must at least once every trip. I sing the whole way through. :wiggle:

lisaw
06-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Love it, we go on it every time we are in MK!

Mari
06-02-2013, 05:04 PM
I havent been on it since probably 1986 hahahaha... I remember I didnt understand English and found it long and boring... it might be time to try it again.. if its open, because I remember on one of our latest trips i was closed

Faythstar
06-02-2013, 07:42 PM
We like it. :wiggle:

On my husband's and my first trip together (when we were still dating), we ducked into it to get out of a hot day and found it delightfully empty. We were literally the only ones on the ride. And while I enjoy the ride itself, part of the reason I love it is the memory of some stolen kisses that we shared on it. :smoochboy:

I do love the vintagey-ness of it, and I love it because it's so much what Walt imagined for his parks. And that darn song stays in your head for the rest of the day, but it's just so catchy, you don't mind! :wink:

I do think they could update the ending. What would be perfect in my eyes is if they could make the room that it ends in now another decade room (like, say, a 90's room), and add another, more modern room for the ending, but I doubt they have room for that.

wdwgrandma
07-02-2013, 10:09 AM
I can't imagine WDW without it! I know many folks prefer bigger, faster, higher. But I enjoy the simple things too.

Britchick
07-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I like it, I see it as a pure disney attraction. I don't go on it every time but even so

Suebeattie
07-02-2013, 03:40 PM
This is one of my favourites. Its usually one of the last rides we do so a welcome sit down for a while before the fireworks start

:wiggle:

Missus T
07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Love! Although I definitely agree that the last scene could use some updating, the ride itself is one of my favorites. I'm all for the new rides, but I'm always a little sad when an old ride disappears...So I'm glad that this ride hangs in there. And I'm freakishly obsessed with the song. For weeks before and after any trip to Disney, I walk around singing it, somehow unable to stop it. It's in the older rides where I get the classic Disney magic and I love it.

Wendy
07-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Maybe I need to give it another try this year :unsure:

Johnie
07-02-2013, 10:20 PM
You should :-)

keith
07-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Love it and ride it every night I can :) I find the transition to the last scene a bit jarring since they've updated it hugely so there's a massive gap but that's nit picking. I always have a smile on my face after riding tta and the carousel. Simple relaxing enjoyment

Jaime
11-02-2013, 01:20 AM
I love it! It has to be one of my favorite attractions at WDW! :yes: Especially love the song!!! :wiggle:

foreverducky
11-02-2013, 08:48 PM
I adore it and usually ride it early on, and sometimes more than once in my trip. I love the song and I end up singing it during the entire trip.

jasonh300
13-02-2013, 02:01 AM
I just returned from WDW. I took my son on the Carousel of Progress...this was my 7th time at WDW and at least my 7th time to see the show. Possibly more because it's a good place to get out of the heat when you're there during the summer.

There has been an update to the ride. I'm not sure when this changed, but the main thing that I noticed is that on the last stage, the televisions are all modern HD flatscreens. I'm pretty sure that on my previous trip in 2006, they didn't have those as they weren't yet commonplace at the time.

susanm
08-04-2013, 07:56 PM
i love it.....for many reasons... 1. grew up in brooklyn ny and remember seeing it at the worlds fair in the 1960s. 2. remember seeing walt on tv talk about how it would work 3. a great place to sit and chill out

Beccaberry
09-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Love. For so many reasons...none of which are logical or TECHNOlogical. I love it because it's Walt. I love it because it has history. I love it because of that kitchy, cheesy last scene (don't you touch a thing!). But most of all, I love it because I remember dragging my two children on there for 14 years - kicking and screaming sometimes, often while singing "It's a GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW...shining at the end of every DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY...." at the VERY top of my lungs. And now - they're the one's running for the entrance, squealing in joy when it's open "seasonally" and ALL of us are singing at the very top of our lungs. We have history there. Nope. Don't change a thing. It's perfect.

Tink
10-04-2013, 12:59 AM
I really like it. I like the old things in the scenes. I like the history of it, the understanding that it was once state of the art technology. Now, it's rather like looking at one of those old flickery film cartoons. But I still like it.

My least favorite scene is the final one. :lol:

Beccaberry
12-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Have just sat quite happily for the last 15 minutes or so listening to the entire Carousel of Progress on Live365 :)

catrancher
12-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Have just sat quite happily for the last 15 minutes or so listening to the entire Carousel of Progress on Live365 :)

Hi Becca!

Had to pop on for just a moment to tell you that if you enjoyed the last 15 minutes, then you need to go to Amazon right now and check this out (http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-1964-Worlds-Fair/dp/B001EQUESC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1365785413&sr=1-1&keywords=walt+disney+and+the+1964+world%27s+fair). Or hunt it down through Keith's useful Amazon link so that Secrets gets a slice of the action.

Anyway, it's the album that reflects Walt Disney's involvement with the 1964 World's Fair. There's a whole disk dedicated almost completely to the Carousel of Progress. Titles are:

Disc: 1
1. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
2. Walt Disney and the Sherman Brothers
3. Carousel of Progress [Early Script Reading]
4. Carousel of Progress
5. The Skydome Spectacular
6. The Toucan and Parrot Electric Utility Show
7. Music to Buy Toasters By (Medallion City)
8. Mirror Maze
9. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow [Kaleidoscopic Overture]
10. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow [1890's Variation]
11. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow [Dixieland Variation]
12. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow [1920's Variation]
13. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow [1930's Variation]
14. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow [Swing Variation]
15. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow [1960's Variation]
16. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow [Horizons Variation (Epcot)]

It's a wonderful, nostalgic album. Gawd, I miss Flushing Meadows and 1964! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... it's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow)

Beccaberry
12-04-2013, 05:02 PM
:mental: :mental: :mental:

Mags
12-04-2013, 05:29 PM
I have never ever been on it and I have been going to WDW since 1999. Shame on me.

Mags