PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Dust request...

catrancher
07-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Yesterday, I had to have my dog Sherman, my best buddy and the best dog I've ever owned put to sleep. For 10 1/2 years, he was my constant companion. Always there to make both me and my DW smile. He'd come down and lay in my office door just to be close to me. He filled our house with happiness.

Well, he developed an ear infection (as Cocker Spaniels do) and it made the leap into his bloodstream. We had the vet try everything they could to arrest it but it was to no avail. So, late yesterday, we had him put to sleep. To say both my wife and I are devastated is a significant understatement.

For those of you who don't remember me bragging on him, here's how he looked in happier days.

http://youtu.be/95rKCK1gt_s

So, any Pixie Dust you've got to spare would certainly be appreciated. My DW and I are both crushed.

Tom (won't be any waving for a while...)

uscwest
07-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh, Tom, I am truly sorry to hear this. Losing any pet is always tough but to lose one like Sherman who has been your constant companion is even tougher. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your DW.

Johnie
07-02-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm so sorry Tom

Wendy
07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm really sorry to hear your sad news Tom :hug2:

catrancher
07-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks all. I tried to use the "Thanks" buttons but evidently they're not working. :sigh:

Tom (:crywave:)

lozzy
07-02-2013, 01:21 PM
I am so sorry Tom, my heart goes out I you and your family.
I am lucky enough to also have a beautiful cocker spaniel and I know what you mean about them being fantastic companions.
I hope your loss can be eased by remembering all your amazing memories,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catrancher
07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks lozzy.

Mags
07-02-2013, 01:35 PM
What a beautiful dog. I am so sorry. :hug2:

Mags

catrancher
07-02-2013, 02:00 PM
What a beautiful dog. I am so sorry. :hug2:

Mags

Thanks Mags.

Slowhand
07-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Tom, I`m so sorry to hear your sad news.
My heart goes out to you and Carol, and I can only guess how much you are hurting right now.
Losing a loving pet like Sherman is almost like losing a child.
R.I.P Sherman, and loads of :pixiedust: to you both. :hug2:

catrancher
07-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks Terry. We appreciate it.

Sadly, you're right. It hurts. A lot.

Britchick
07-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Tom, :hug2:

Watchinherskip
07-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Tom, I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your trusted friend Sherman. I know you will miss him like the dickens. Such good friends fill your life with great happiness and when they are not around it sort of leaves a hole. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jaime
07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
So sorry Tom! Lots of pixie dust coming your way

lisaw
07-02-2013, 03:19 PM
:( I'm so sorry for your loss Tom :hug2:

catrancher
07-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks so much everybody. I really do appreciate it.

Dawn
07-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Awww mate. :hug2:

As a cocker spaniel owner I know what brilliant dogs they are. I hope in time you can look back and smile at the years you had together.

catrancher
07-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks Dawn. I hope so too. It's just gonna take a while to get to that point. :sigh:

Esmeralda
07-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Aw no Tom XXXXXX How absolutely heartbreaking for you both. :sorry: It is going to leave an enormous hole in your home, but please don't let that, in time, stop you giving another loving furball a chance to experience your special love and special home. Sherman had a good life and I hope that thought comforts you both XXXXXXXXX:hug2:

Wendy
07-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks all. I tried to use the "Thanks" buttons but evidently they're not working. :sigh:

Sorry Tom, it was disabled after the problems we had with the site :(

Gives me chance to send a few more of these though :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Deb
07-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Oh Tom, so sorry to hear this :( My heart goes out to you and your DW. It's such a terrible thing to go through. How wonderful that you go to spend time with such a special dog, and I know those wonderful memories will stay with you for the rest of your lives x

Faythstar
07-02-2013, 05:26 PM
So heartbroken for you. Sending lots of pixie dust and happy thoughts your way. :(

catrancher
07-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks all. :yes:

It will get better. Eventually. It will just take some time. :sigh:

We've still got Trudy, our other Cocker Spaniel so that's a good thing. Can't imagine how bad this would be if we didn't still have her to love.

Kate
07-02-2013, 06:33 PM
oh tom, im so very sorry to hear about sherman - its utterly heartbreaking losing a beloved pet. thinking of you :hug2:

Mari
08-02-2013, 02:32 AM
Im so sorry Tom

I have no words, just some very tight hugs and lots of pixie dust!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isafari
08-02-2013, 06:22 AM
So sorry to hear about Sherman :hug2:

MystikPiglit
08-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Sorry to hear that, Tom. Losing a member of your family is hard to bear. :comfort:

Claire
08-02-2013, 11:02 AM
:hug2:

So so sorry to hear your sad news Tom. Sherman looks like such a character. That Cheerios box didn't stand a chance huh?

catrancher
08-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks again everyone. It matters. It really does. :hug2:

Claire,

You're right. He was a monumental character. Cheerios were his favorite treat. And he was absolutely sure that if he just kept at that empty box, he'd find some more. While it doesn't show on the video, you should have seen his face when mom made us stop and I took the box away from him. He was not a happy camper.

piglet
09-02-2013, 12:38 PM
So sorry for your loss Tom :hug2::hug2:

foreverducky
09-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Tom, my heart aches for you and your DW. I'm truly sorry for your loss. Our pets, really our family members, become an integral part of our lives. In truth, they love us like no other. Their companionship makes us better people. I'm saddened by the hole you must feel.

catrancher
09-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks Piglet and FD.

I really do appreciate it. And you're right FD. A pet becomes such an integral part of your life. And they're so special. What other creature says "Hey, I love you. No matter what you say or do to me, I still love you."

The hole I've got in my heart feels big enough to drive a Mack truck through.

Esmeralda
10-02-2013, 12:00 PM
That's the thing... they love you no matter what. They don't care if your hair looks a sight or if you're really needing that shower and haven't been able to because you've been too poorly or if you're fat or thin or whatever... they just love you for who you are. There's nothing like a doggle love.

catrancher
10-02-2013, 02:46 PM
There's nothing like a doggle love.

Absolutely true. :sigh:

foreverducky
10-02-2013, 03:49 PM
I'd like to say that the hole will close up and you will be as good as new, but I'm not sure that truly happens. But maybe the hole will become smaller, so that only a Ford f150 can drive through. :sorry: Unconditional love is their gift to us, which can never be replaced.

catrancher
10-02-2013, 03:53 PM
I'd like to say that the hole will close up and you will be as good as new, but I'm not sure that truly happens. But maybe the hole will become smaller, so that only a Ford f150 can drive through. :sorry: Unconditional love is their gift to us, which can never be replaced.

Thanks FD. They say that time heals all wounds. I sincerely hope that's true.

catrancher
11-06-2013, 06:53 PM
They say that time heals all wounds. I sincerely hope that's true.

Well, evidently time helps. A lot. :shrug:

Though it's felt like forever. :sigh:

A week or so ago, my DW felt like she was at a place where she could start to consider another dog as a companion for our remaining Cocker, Trudy. I wasn't too sure but I figured it would be for the best. So, she went shopping with one of the rescue organizations we know about. Shortly thereafter, my email went "ding", and there was an email from my DW. The only thing in it was a link to a picture. This one:

15405.vB

My reaction was a rather subdued, "Oh, dear. I'm in trouble now."

So, we submitted the requisite paperwork to the rescue organization and made arrangements to meet the little guy the following Sunday. Well, as it turned out, this same rescue organization was doing an adoption event close to us on Saturday. This dog (they called him Pharr. I'll explain later.) wouldn't be there. But we kind of thought maybe we should go meet them on Saturday, just to maybe grease the skids a bit. At least that way, come Sunday, we wouldn't be complete strangers. The meeting went just fine and we made arrangements to actually meet him at another big adoption event scheduled for the next day (Sunday).

Of course, Sunday dawned to torrential downpours, wind, the forces of Hades and any other bad thing you can think of. Sigh. Naturally, the adoption event at the park where it was scheduled was cancelled. Long about that time, my phone rang and his foster mom asked if we'd like to meet him anyway. We agreed and all decided to meet at the same pet store we were at on Saturday. We got there at the appointed time and as we were walking in through the deluge, the doors to the store parted and there was this little guys foster mom standing there holding him in her arms. Both my DW and I were smitten immediately. He was just about the cutest thing we'd ever seen on four legs. So, after a bit of conversation and the exchange of a number of small green pieces of paper, our newest family member was placed in the back seat of our car and was on his way to his new home.

Now, I mentioned that they called him Pharr. To us, that was no name for a dog. Turns out, they got both him and his sister from a couple who had bitten off more than they could chew with two puppies. In fact, these people were such bludy fools that they hadn't even given the dogs names. So, the rescue people had named them Pharr and Phipps. The symbology of this is they were named after a shopping mall here in town, Phipps Plaza on Pharr road. Go figure.

Obviously, we didn't really think Pharr was much of a name for a dog. I mean, who names their dog after a shopping mall. Really. :unsure:
And after having him in the house for a bit, we just didn't feel that it fit him. Keep in mind that he's a youngish pup. Our veterinarian puts his age at between 7 and 9 months. So, with all that behind us, allow me to introduce you to the newest member of our family:

Meet Barney!
15410.vB

And yes, he's just as charming as he looks. Or, as the vet says, "he's got freckles!".

He's moved in, taken over, and just flat out charmed his way into our household. He's still very much a puppy and there are times when my DW and I both think that keeping up with him will probably kill us, but we wouldn't have it any other way. He's also still got some learning to do. He's not completely house broken but we're working on that and he's doing pretty good. He's also smart as a whip. Scary smart. So, I'm sure he'll get the housebreaking down pat in no time.

So, yes. Time heals. And while they'll never be another Sherman, that particular hole in my heart is starting to heal a bit. I'll always have the scar. But right now, I'm too busy with this little guy to notice quite as much.

Tom (:macwave:... gotta go. He's into something he shouldn't be. Again. :exit:)

Claire
11-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Hey there Barney! You are sooooooo cute! Good luck with training your humans. I suspect you've pretty much got them wrapped around your little paw already.

Great to meet your new buddy Tom. :hug2:

Wendy
11-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Tom he is adorable and I can see why you fell in love with him.

As you say, no dog will replace Sherman, but Barney will love you in his own way :hug2:

Deb
11-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Oh Tom!! He is beyond adorable!! :hearts: Welcome Barney :wave:

Shellyamc
11-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Oh - he is amazing!!! Welcome sweetie :hug2:

Esmeralda
11-06-2013, 11:53 PM
:hug2: Aw he is so adorable, of course you'll always have a scar for Sherman but hopefully Barney can help with the pain XXXXXXXXX Know what you mean when you think he will kill you lol. You won't have time to cry. But you will be crying tears of laughter at this cute one. He is going to be so spoiled just look at those adorable eyes.

Tink
12-06-2013, 01:15 AM
So pleased for you, Tom. It's good that Barney can give you so much comfort.

Johnie
12-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Awww look at Barney! What a handsome boy!!

uscwest
12-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Well, hello there Barney. What a lovely pup you are. I'm sure that you already warming the hearts of your new humans.

Slowhand
12-06-2013, 02:38 PM
That`s great news Tom, and Barney looks adorable. [At least they didn`t call him Walmart! :lol:]

As others have said, Sherman sure must be almost impossible to replicate, but I reckon that in a short while Barney will become a very big part of your lives.
Please keep us posted on his progress eh?

Mari
12-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Very sorry Tom

:hug2:

And very happy about Barney! :)

Esmeralda
12-06-2013, 11:05 PM
I've just had another sneaky peak at Barney, he's so kissable looking :)

lozzy
13-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Oh my what a beautiful little puppy, he is just so adorable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beccaberry
13-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Oh Tom!! He's just precious!! Barney! What a great name :)

As I was looking at his picture, my own spaniel, Harley jumped up and licked the screen! I guess he approves, too!

Congratulations to you and your DW! :hug2:

Watchinherskip
14-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Tom that is such great news! Welcome Barney! I know he is just what the doctor ordered. And you know the thing about dogs....the more people I get to know, the more I like my dog. Truer words were never spoken. He is a charmer for sure. Good luck buddy.