PDA

View Full Version : Diets

Wendy
22-02-2013, 09:30 AM
I feel really embarrassed asking this :anxious: but I need help to lose some weight, for health reasons to try and relieve some of the pressure on my knees.

I've done Atkins, Tony Ferguson (shakes) and GI. My biggest problem is that I take a lot of medication and that has increased my weight a lot since I've been taking it :sigh: :( There is no chance of me coming off the meds, because I've asked :sigh:

Is anyone on a diet or can you recommend something good that will help me. My biggest problem is that I can't do any decent exercise because of my knees. I have a pilates reformer, but I can only do half of the exercise routine :sigh:

Any help or advice would be really appreciated :hug2:

keith
22-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Ill be watching this to see if there are any good suggestions that I'd try too but my main issue is exercise. Sitting down all day in front of a computer just doesn't help at all

Jaime
22-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Look up on line the Paleo diet. I actually consider it a lifestyle change. It is also sometimes referred to as the caveman diet. Basically what you eat is meat fish fruits vegetables and nuts. My husband and I paired this with Crossfit but with your knee issues I would say crossfit might not be right for you. Just put your mind to, I understand the difficulty of losing weight on certain Meds. If you need any food tips or encouragement just let me know. You CAN do this!!

Tink
22-02-2013, 12:11 PM
I've heard of the Paleo approach. :yes:

Atkins works, but as we both know it does have its side effects. Weight Watchers is a lifestyle change approach here. It's become needlessly complex though, so I can't recommend it any longer.

Fresh and lean are the buzzwords. Lean protien and everything else fresh. Grains (whole) in stead of rice and potatoes and bread. Fresh fruit, fresh vegetables...

Exercise. :sigh: The bane of my existence too. Yoga? I don't know much about it but it is supposed to have some gentle stretching features. For me it's finding the time. There simply are not enough hours in the day.

Not much help, I know. :sigh:

robertcraig
22-02-2013, 01:05 PM
what works for me is to eat less and exorcise more and nothing to eat after 6 pm except when i go to DISNEY

foreverducky
22-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Sadly, this is a realm I understand so well. :(

Tink, WW has become crazy. You'd think they'd realize the more complex it is the less people can stick with it. I've tried WW, but with my intestinal issues it was not a good approach for me.

I've also tried Nutrisystem. I thought, hey, if they send me the food it will take all the frustration out of dieting. I wouldn't wish that food on my worst enemy. Yuck! Not too mention the price, with the added cost of buying veggies and fruits to supplement the food.

With my busy schedule I've thought about the meal replacements like Slimfast. One time, I bought one case. I had one drink. Never again. Not sure what's in those but I thought my heart was going to explode it was beating so hard. I also got the shakes. Scared me to death. Again...never again.

What I've found to actually work is what we've always been told....eat less and do more exercise. I have to admit that I can be extreme (not healthy), but I do admit it. That being said, you actually have to eat enough calories to keep your body out of starvation mode or you wont lose anything. While I am unable to do the 5-6 small meals a day I've heard that is the best for you metabolism.

Regarding exercise, they say elliptical machines are better on the knees, but keep in mind you have to buy a better quality one for the fact to be true. Also, I would look into video related to more toning/strength training and yoga. Those are not high impact activities. That's not to say they are not difficult. Might be helpful to wear knee braces while doing any exercise.

Just to put it out there, I've tried the Insanity videos...never again either. I've tried some Zumba videos/classes too, and those are blast. Of course, I look like a person experiencing a seizure while doing it, but it's fun. :D

Oh, I just remembered there are exercise video that are based on just walking. Those are low impact, but she changes them up to keep your heart going. Might be something good to look into

My routine is lower calories (with one cheat day), and exercise 6 days a week (alternating days of cardio and strength). I change up my cardio so I don't get bored. I would love to eat fresher foods, but with my life, the frozen meal is my friend. That being said, I always have fresh veggies and fruits in the house.

Whew....

Britchick
22-02-2013, 06:09 PM
The popular diet of the moment is the 5/2 diet, might be worth a look, it's about fasting for 2 days of the week. You get to eat 500 calories though so not too bad and you eat normally on the other 5 days. Health benefits as well as weight loss are indicated. There is also an evidence base for this. It's recommended by Andrew Mosely,under 4 to download on amazon. I've lost quite a bit of weight over the last couple of years but I've changed the way I eat, we've changed to brown bread, pasta, rice and cut down on sugar. I used to have sipugar in coffee and tea, I worked out if I cut this out I could lose 8lbs of weight over a year, if you use small changes like that you can make a difference.

Wendy
22-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Thank you Jaime :hug2:

I haven't heard of the Paleo diet, I will have to look it up.

Billie, it is a nightmare trying to exercise it really is, the pilates is a form of yoga, it works on the inner core, I will have to contact the company and see if they can suggest any exercises for people with osteoarthritis.

I'll have a look at that one Brit, I eat brown bread, brown rice things like that and I don't take sugar in tea as I only drink either black or green tea with lemon.

Dizneyblonde
22-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Ive tried lots of diets over the years but the one that seems to be working for me at the moment is Slimming World.You can do it online so don't even have to go to a class.
I've lost 22 1/2 lb in 6 weeks and it's so easy to follow.

I go to weigh in on a Tuesday and the group is very supportive and a lot of fun.

I'm hoping to have lost 4 stone before our August trip.

Mari
22-02-2013, 06:44 PM
The only thing that has worked for me is a complete lifestyle change, because no diet works long term, at least not for me

I have tried in the past year to eat more REAL food... I try to limit anything that is boxed, processed, artificial..

So my diet is based on fruits and veggies, with a good amount of seeds, grains and nuts, and I only eat meat once or twice a week.

One of the books that I found most helpful (and easy to follow and understand) is: The Beauty Detox Solution, by Kimberly Snyder http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Detox-Solution-Radiant-Renewed/dp/0373892322/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361558611&sr=1-1&keywords=the+beauty+detox+solution I dont follow it completetly but its been a good reference guide

:hug2:

I wish you success in your journey!!

Wendy
22-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Well done on the loss Teresa, that's brilliant :) do you do a lot of exercise?

Dizneyblonde
22-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Well done on the loss Teresa, that's brilliant :) do you do a lot of exercise?

:unsure: err no....

A walk every now and then but I never have time!
I should do more though.
My SW rep said that this diet is good for people who cannot exercise much.
DD has ME so physically can't exercise after Uni and she as managed to lose 1st 2lb eating the same meals as me.

Wendy
22-02-2013, 08:21 PM
:unsure: err no....

A walk every now and then but I never have time!
I should do more though.
My SW rep said that this diet is good for people who cannot exercise much.
DD has ME so physically can't exercise after Uni and she as managed to lose 1st 2lb eating the same meals as me.

Ok thanks, I'll add it to my list to look at. Sorry Robyn has ME, it's a horrible thing to have :hug2:

Britchick
22-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I've always got on well with Slimming world, it kind of fits with the brown everything. I don't like measuring stuff lol

Wendy are you sure you're eating enough?

Wendy
22-02-2013, 08:47 PM
I have 3 meals a day and normally some rich tea biscuits before I go to bed for when I take my tablets.

I was thinking about keeping a food diary from Monday :unsure:

I know I've got to get the balance and calorie intake right because I can't exercise.

Britchick
22-02-2013, 08:55 PM
That would probably be good, count drinks in with that too. Are you drinking enough?

Wendy
22-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Definitely drinking enough, I drink 3 litres of water a day without cups of green tea.

Tink
23-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Brit, thanks for the info on that diet.

I do understand that changing lifestyle eating patterns is truly the way to go, but that is hideously difficult for me. I am truly "always" hungry. My Doc says it's because I used to have a very "fast" metabolism, but no longer do. Metabolism slowed markedly, but left the "starving Marvin" appetite.

I try to eat bulky things (salads) and the like, to appease the appetite but it doesn't always work.

I often flirt with thinking about becoming a type of vegetarian, meatless anyway. I think that way I'll have grains and other high fiber things to try and keep that eating monster at bay.

I used to never like sweet things. Not at all. Now? :sigh: Apparently, in my dotage :D I've developed a sweet tooth. :sorry:

I've done Medifast with excellent results. Until you stop. :sigh:

I tried South Beach, but that was just too contradictory to follow. :unsure:

I liked Atkin's the best, and it worked for the longest, but the side effects became more than I wanted to continue to live with. :sigh:

Soooo, the skinny kid is now a fat old lady, and I hate it. :(

Suebeattie
23-02-2013, 09:13 AM
I havent read all the replies so sorry if this has been suggested already. Im on slimming world and its dead easy.
Its especially easy to follow if you are out quite a bit - it helps you to make better decisions.
The thing I love about it is you can eat pasta potatoes and not have restrictions on them. You are restricted on bread and wheat and dairy but apart from that extra lean meat, fruit and veg are all free so you can eat as much as you like.
For instance a chicken roast dinner is mostly free (no matter how big) apart from any oil used on roast potatoes and the gravand stuffing if you have that.
I always struggle on diets where you calarie count or point count because I always worry that I have only got so many left and thats when I really crave the bad stuff :eek:

:wiggle:

Wendy
23-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm terrible when it comes to calorie counting, I really am, I forget to include everything like stock cubes, oil, tomato puree things like that.

Tink, you are not a fat old lady :nono:

Sam
23-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Well there are lots of different diets out there. We are all different so not just one diet will suit all.

The only problem is that you need to follow a 'diet' that you can stick to for life. Many diets like Weight Watchers, Slimming World, even the 5/2 diets are great but not many people can sustain that eating pattern. Really it is all about altering your eating habits and try to exercise a little more, but in a way that you can keep this going for life.

Although I teach diet and fitness I don't try to get everyone to subscribe to just one diet, the best thing is to try what is best for you. However, here are some of the basic tips I give my ladies at my diet classes.

Portions - try to reduce your portions by eating from a smaller plate.
Don't skip breakfast - it has been proven that those who eat breakfast are more likely to lose weight and keep it off. Missing breakfast means that you are more likely to reach for a quick 'high calorie' snack.
Check out the labels - one rule that I learnt along time ago is check your labels. Apart from checking salt and sugar, the main area to look at is the saturated fat. The advice from the Food Standards Agency is look at the saturated fat per 100g, it needs to be 3g or less - we call this the 3% rule. This is great if you're not great at counting calories, which I certainly am not.
Keep a food diary - those that keep a food diaries have been proven to lose weight. This is true in my classes. Those that have the greatest weight loss is those that keep track of their diet. Once site I can highly recommend for this is www.myfitnesspal.com, it also an app for your phone or tablet. It is a free site which has an amazing library of different foods and their calories. You just put in what your details and put in what you have done that day and it will work it all out for you.
Don't starve yourself - if you regularly eat too few calories in the day then your body will go into starvation mode and start to store anything you eat in case you starve yourself again. It's ok occassionally like detoxing for a day or doing the 5/2 diet but if you do it all the time then you certainly won't lose weight. I had a lady in my class who daily ate around 1000 or less and she never lost weight. I told her all the time that she wasn't eating enough but she didn't agree. One day she came to class to weigh and had spent 4 days eating and drinking on a trip away. Convinced she had put atleast 1/2 stone on she actually lost 4lbs. This was because her calorie intake was around 1500 which is what she neeeded to lose weight.
Drink plenty of water - sometimes when you think you're hungry, you are actually thirsty.

These are just a few tips I have even more that you can do. On my facebook page I have set up a Diet & Fitness Support page where I give lots of information from the latest tips to recipes. I also have an email list where I send out further info. Also if you want a copy of the booklet I give out at my classes give me your address and I'll post you one.

Let me know if you want any more info and I will do my best to help. Although I am nutritionally trained by Rosemary Conley I am also studying diet & nutrition at the moment. I don't know everything but I'll help where I can.

lozzy
23-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi Wendy.

About 5/6 years ago I gained a great deal of weight, it got to the point were I found doing everyday things hard so I knew it was time to do something about it.
I watched a TV program that Paul McKenna was doing at the time which was very interesting. ( I can make you thin)
I thought I'd give it a go, well I can say for me it worked, I lost the weight and haven't gained it again.
It isn't really a diet, it's just learning to think of food in a different way.
I have a copy of his book and a cd which came with it, if you fancy trying it let me know and I can always post it to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wendy
23-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Wow Sam, thank you for all the information :hug2:

I'll have a look at the sites you suggest.

I saw my friend today who is a chiropractor and she looked at my right knee and said that in her opinion I need and arthroscopy :( I've agreed to make an appointment with the doctor and get referred.

I do need to start something soon though instead of just talking about it :sigh: Maybe I'll do a radical diet to start off with to kick start my system and then start eating properly.

Sam
23-02-2013, 09:19 PM
I have to agree with Lozzy with the Paul McKenna diet. He actually teaches you how to alter your eating habits for life. I would seriously have a look at that one too. Another really good site is www.weightresources.com I think it's .com or it maybe .co.uk. But that really is an excellent site. Also www.webmd.co.uk. This site is used by the NHS and the Food Standards Agency.

Wendy
23-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Oh Laura, that is so kind of you, thank you :hug2: I think I remember seeing an episode of that program.

Funnily enough my friend that I saw today has just bought one of his books, I can't remember the name but it was something about a gastric band, it makes your body think you've had one :unsure: I know at the time I though rather her than me :lol:

Sam
23-02-2013, 09:47 PM
I have to agree with Lozzy with the Paul McKenna diet. He actually teaches you how to alter your eating habits for life. I would seriously have a look at that one too. Another really good site is www.weightresources.com (http://www.weightresources.com) I think it's .com or it maybe .co.uk. But that really is an excellent site. Also www.webmd.co.uk (http://www.webmd.co.uk). This site is used by the NHS and the Food Standards Agency.

I meant to say www.weightlossresources.co.uk not www.weightresources.com. Just checked it.