PDA

View Full Version : Make ahead meals

Britchick
24-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Can anyone help me with some ideas for make ahead meals that can be frozen and just reheated with minimum fuss? I do chilli and spag Bol but you can't do that all the time. I'm out too long to use the slow cooker at the moment so that is out. :unsure:

MystikPiglit
24-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Shepherd's Pie, casseroles, pies. :)

Wendy
24-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Lasagne, curry, pasties, stew things like that maybe :unsure: you can freeze just about anything.

I used to spend all day Saturday cooking for the following week when I was working. It really does save time :yes:

Tink
24-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Does your family like pierogies? They freeze beautifully and are a very fast easy meal with or without added protein. :yes:

Kate
24-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I was thinking of things like this i could do for when the babys first born - proper meals that dont take long, so that we still all eat well.
To be honest i didnt come up with anything that hasnt already been mentioned, apart from making a shepherds pie mix then doing the mash fresh on the day

Britchick
24-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Does your family like pierogies? They freeze beautifully and are a very fast easy meal with or without added protein. :yes:

i've never heard of them Tink :unsure:

just bought loads of mince and shall make some curry too. I like to have something good to eat most nights and there's only so many nights you can have fresh pasta and sauce! thanks

Wendy
24-02-2013, 02:08 PM
i've never heard of them Tink :unsure:

I must admit I had to look it up :lol:

Tink
24-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Here is a bunch of photos...

http://www.google.com/search?q=pierogies&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CyQqUa7YIJOO9ASEyIDgCg&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1396&bih=699

Our neighbor when I was growing up was Polish. She taught me to make pierogies, golabki (stuffed cabagge) and several other Polish dishes that I can't spell but can say! :D

One features sauerkraut, cabbage, polish sausage and pork. It sounds like "kapusta" but I have no idea what the actual spelling is. Pa?zki is a pre-Lenten only doughnut that the Polish community makes. It's filled with jelly. :D

Britchick
24-02-2013, 03:07 PM
they look a bit like dumplings...which i love

Tink
24-02-2013, 04:08 PM
They are quite like dumplings. A bit like a cross between a dumpling and a ravioli (or a pot sticker). The dough is a bit thicker than ravioli or pot sticker. :yes:

You can fill them with nearly anything, including fruit.