PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Accident

Tink
24-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Do you follow NASCAR racing? This weekend is the Daytona 500 (today is the actual race). The event consists of a weekend full of races, leading up to today's main event.

Yesterday there was a horrible accident as one car crashed and became airborne. It broke apart sending debris (including a tire!) into the stands. Several spectators were seriously injured with at least one critically. You can read more about it here...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57570920/daytona-crash-sends-car-parts-flying-injuring-fans/

Racing is a very popular sport, but that sort of thing scares me to death!

Would you go to a NASCAR race if given the opportunity?

Wendy
24-02-2013, 01:45 PM
We heard it on the radio this morning, it's terrible :(

Chris wants to go to a NASCAR race, there's just never anything on when we are there.

We used to be marshalls for our local Rally Club and we've also marshalled at the RAC Rally in Wales, that is scary, cars driving towards you flat out and having to tell people to stand back and get off the road. It certainly used to get the adrenalin pumping. Oh the days when we were young and foolish :lol:

The people watching must have been terrified when debris started to fly towards them, it's not a nice feeling seeing something coming towards you and not being able to do anything.

Britchick
24-02-2013, 01:59 PM
it's horrible, we had some people killed by an out of control car here recently at a rally. Nascar does not really do it for me so i wouldn't go to one anyway but i would be quite nervous if i was there!

MystikPiglit
24-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Just saw accident on the News, dreadful. We'd like to go if the opportunity ever arose.

Wendy
24-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Off topic :sorry: but I like your new countdown Diane :D

Tink
24-02-2013, 02:36 PM
One of the wheels with the tire intact came off the car and flew into the stands. :( I believe the person it hit is the one in critical condition with severe head trauma.

A news reporter was saying that "accidents draw greater attendance" can you believe that? :eek:

uscwest
24-02-2013, 03:13 PM
There are only two NASCAR races that have any interest to me. One is Daytona, and is probably the only one I would attend if possible. The other is the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I don't play to watch the 500 today, though I am intrigued by Danica Patrick being on the pole.

Suebeattie
24-02-2013, 04:37 PM
We've been to see the daytona 500 a couple of times now. Couldn't believe that accident yesterday, and that the whole front end of the car came off.
Seen a couple of accidents like that in nascar races and im wondering how they will ever be able to make it safe to watch. That one yesterday was by far the worse accident ive seen and cant believe the driver walked away.
We will probably watch other races, one thats on my bucket list is talledega.
Looking forward to seeing the race today :D

:wiggle:

MystikPiglit
24-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Off topic :sorry: but I like your new countdown Diane :D

Thank you! :D

Johnie
24-02-2013, 05:56 PM
I saw this on the news. It is awful. I'm surprised there isn't a barrier between the first several rows and the track. They do that at monster truck rally's because one went out if control and into the stand.

I'm probably the only person in the south who doesn't watch NASCAR. Doesn't interest me one bit.

Slowhand
24-02-2013, 08:05 PM
It just goes to show how safer Formula 1 is these days.
The wheels on the cars are tethered so they don`t fly off, and seldom are folks hurt [drivers and spectators]. In fact the last fatality in F1 was another of my heros [Ayrton Senna], and this was way back in 1994.
Added to this is the fact that the circuits are a lot more demanding than Nascar, i.e. not just going around in circles!

Tink
24-02-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm with you on that one Terry. The fence between the stands and the track is not only high but curved back toward the track. The car was airborne when it started breaking apart...

Formula 1 is driving, not just cornering, eh? :yes:

Suebeattie
24-02-2013, 09:11 PM
I prefer nascar to f1 racing especially at tracks like daytona and talledega because the guy thats close to being last can all of a sudden be close to the lead in matter of laps.
It'll be interesting to see what they come up with to try to stop this happening again.

:wiggle:

Tink
24-02-2013, 09:13 PM
The only thing they can do is make the fencing higher. :unsure:

NASCAR is safe for the drivers for the most part. The driver of this car walked away. The car was in shambles but he was unhurt.

Yep, racing fans are a diverse group of people! :yes: