PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Dinner

Wendy
24-02-2013, 05:57 PM
I was told today that I'm old fashioned because we always have a roast dinner on a Sunday :unsure: To me it's a tradition, I grew up always having a Sunday roast and I carried on cooking it when I got married.

Am I alone in this or do any of you still have a roast on a Sunday or is there anything that you had when you were younger that you cook now?

uscwest
24-02-2013, 06:04 PM
We never had a traditional Sunday meal. I would love a Sunday roast but Donna isn't big on roast beef or pork and never lamb so we do something else. Today will be meatloaf.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tink
24-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Mama used Sundays as a brunch day. She'd make her own bread and frittata (fry some of the bread dough!) and we'd go from there. Sunday was a "off day" for Mama and things were simple. We'd have a stew, or a hearty soup (I LOVED her chicken soup with pastina) or if we were really lucky she'd make us pizza. :D

It sometimes ended with a light supper in front of the television watching Wonderful World Of Disney. THAT was a special treat, eating in the living room.

Mama made full lovely meals during the week as she didn't work outside the house. Weekends were her "time off" for the big heavy cooking. Saturday was mostly leftovers or during the summer Da' would grill out.

If we were having company of a Sunday (VERY rare) Mama would then go all out and cook a huge and fancy meal.

Kate
24-02-2013, 06:29 PM
We usually have a roast on a sunday, its something i always used to have when i was growing up too. However today we had shepherds pie as dh decided to cook a roast yesterday instead!

Britchick
24-02-2013, 06:37 PM
We have them mainly in the winter on days we're not doing anything else. I don't think you're old fashioned at all

keith
24-02-2013, 06:41 PM
We always had a sunday roast and as we grew older, it was the one meal that we couldn't escape :lol: looking back of course, I now see the point.

Meals nowadays are rushed microwave affairs or eating out, I'd LOVE a proper home cooked roast :yes:

Johnie
24-02-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't think it's old fashioned at all. I wish we did it.

When I spent my summers in Kentucky with my grandparents, there was always a HUGE meal after church. I miss that.

josh.p.
24-02-2013, 07:04 PM
We do it most weekends unless we're out the house all day. I don't think its old fashioned at all- I miss not having a roast if we don't have one! Quite often if we don't have it on Sunday, we have it on Monday

Mags
24-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Not any more. It is just too expensive. Today I had one of my favourite pasta dishes; chili pork with rigatoni. I love it. I just saute an onion, add garlic, minced pork and half a mild red chili. In goes a tin of chopped tomatoes and a little water and it simmers away for just 30mins. At the end I add just a small amount of cream and then add the pasta and a little pasta water if necessary. Much nicer than bolognese and goes done a treat here.

Mags

MystikPiglit
24-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Not old-fashioned, :) although personally I take being called that as a compliment. :D
We have a roast on Sundays too. Can't beat a hearty roast dinner. :thumbsup:

Tink
24-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Mags, that sounds delicious!! I'll be "stealing" that one from you! :yes:

Well, I've set my table. I set the table on Sundays with the new linens and dishes for the week. It sets the tone and makes it nice to not to have to worry about such things (who really does? :unsure: ). This week is linen with crocheted lace over top. Haviland china with a purple tiny flower pattern rimmed in gold. It will make that pulled pork taste ever so good, won't it? :D

I do like to have what the boys call "a fancy table." I like linens and have collected many over the years. I keep just two Irish linen sets (antique) for best and use the rest all the time. I don't worry if they get stained. I just collect up more as time goes on (get them at estate sales and the like, these are not costly things). I like to think I'm not contributing to land fills with disposable items... but then, these do need to be laundered, so I'll guess the impact is nearly the same.

So with your delicious roast, do you like to do your table too, Wendy or anyone else who has a proper dinner on Sunday? (Or any day of the week)?

Wendy
24-02-2013, 08:24 PM
It's good to know I'm not the odd one out :lol:

I am a very traditional person, I find it strange that a lot of my friends don't bother cooking. I was taught to cook from an early age and it's something I've always done and can't imagine not doing it.

Wendy
24-02-2013, 08:54 PM
So with your delicious roast, do you like to do your table too, Wendy or anyone else who has a proper dinner on Sunday? (Or any day of the week)?

Yes, I always set the table and even though I'm the only one who has gravy I still put a gravy bowl on the table :lol:

We eat at the table every day, we tried using trays, but it didn't feel right, it's nice to sit together and talk about what's been going on during Chris' day.

Tink
24-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Yes, same here. We always dine at the table unless:
It's a pool party
It's superbowl!

:D

Then of course we have our meal at poolside, or in the case of superbowl, in the living room...

Suebeattie
24-02-2013, 09:19 PM
We always have a sunday roast only have a few sundays where its something different. We go over to my mum and dads to get our weekly "good" meal :yes:
I love a roast dinner and its so easy to do just takes time.
Lately we've been having roast chicken during the week. My DH then takes the leftover cold chicken to work for lunch for the next couple of days.
You are most definitely not old fashioned wendy.
The question is do you have the right accompaniments with the right meat? For example yorkshire pud with beef, stuffing with chicken. My mum and dad do this and my DH thinks its weird and that yorkshires can be with any meat. I dont think its weird but I like yorkshires and would have them with anything lol.

:wiggle:

Tink
24-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Well, I think Yorkshires could be with anything, but I've only had it with beef.

On the other hand, popovers are nearly Yorkshire puddings and we use them here as vehicles for cream based dishes; creamed chicken, etc.

Wendy
24-02-2013, 09:42 PM
We only have Yorkshire puds with beef, chicken with stuffing and cranberry sauce, pork with apple sauce and lamb with mint sauce. I'm definitely a traditional person :lol:

We used to have a mid week roast as well, but don't have it as much now. In the winter it's always a stew with dumplings on a Saturday lunch time :lol:

Suebeattie
24-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Havent had stew and dumplings for ages - may need to do this soon.
My mum does onion sauce with lamb as well.
All this is making me hungry lol

Wendy
24-02-2013, 09:52 PM
:lol:

Tink
24-02-2013, 09:57 PM
You know? We've not had apple sauce with pork in ages. Will have to remember that one for when we have roast pork tenderloin. :yes: The boy will be VERY happy!!

I've never had mint sauce or mint jelly with lamb. We usually do it one of three ways, Mediterranean, Irish or Ehtiopian. No mint involved. What do you do with the mint sauce or jelly? :unsure:

Wendy
24-02-2013, 10:07 PM
The mint sauce is in a bowl with a little sugar and vinegar. I always make my own as I have a mint plant and I just pull of the leaves and chop it up. It is then drizzled over the lamb when it is on the plate. Chris puts it over everything, potatoes included :lol:

When I roast the lamb I always sprinkle some rosemary over it before I put it in the oven.

Tink
24-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Oh, well that sounds nice! I was picturing a blob of jelly alongside the lamb. I can't imagine sweet mint with lamb...

So, chopped fresh mint with vinegar and a touch of sugar to take the edge off... is that it? :unsure:

Yes, when we do Mediterranean lamb we use rosemary, thyme, garlic and lemon. Parsley too, and sometimes sage if it's nice.

Wendy
24-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Yes that's right Tink I chop the sugar in with the mint and then put in in a dish and add the vinegar. I don't like mint jelly.

Tink
24-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Sounds good. Rather like a relish sort of condimento... I think I'll try it!

uscwest
25-02-2013, 12:29 PM
I love applesauce with my roast pork, or pork chops. Haven't done the mint sauce with lamb in ages, but then again, rare is the time I get roast lamb any more. So, Wendy, Donna and I can just pop in any Sunday? LOL

Wendy
25-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Sure you can John :yes: Make sure it's a Sunday though as it's always beef :D

Kate
25-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Theres no choice in our house about sitting at the table, it is now absolutely impossible to get a tray on my lap with the belly! :lol:

We have yorkshire puds with beek and chicken, apple sauce with pork/pork chops/pork steaks and we like mint jelly with lamb. Im not so keen on mint sauce - i like just a tiny little bit on each mouthful and i find the sauce runs a bit too much!

Wendy
25-02-2013, 02:41 PM
............... Im not so keen on mint sauce - i like just a tiny little bit on each mouthful and i find the sauce runs a bit too much!

If you used as much as Chris does it wouldn't run off :lol:

uscwest
25-02-2013, 03:45 PM
If you used as much as Chris does it wouldn't run off :lol:

Mint Sauce is supposed to complement the Lamb, not overpower it. LOL

Wendy
25-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Mint Sauce is supposed to complement the Lamb, not overpower it. LOL

I know, but don't forget we are talking about the person who likes chips with Chinese :D

Suebeattie
25-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I know, but don't forget we are talking about the person who likes chips with Chinese :D

Me too me too!!!! Also I have chips with an Indian :D

Britchick
25-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I like the mint jelly but I love sweet with savoury