PDA

View Full Version : What can I cook for Dinner Tonight

Wendy
26-02-2013, 11:30 AM
I fancy something different for dinner tonight, but I have no idea what to make :lol: I was going to mince rump steak and make a lasagne but I'm not sure if I fancy that now :lol: :shrug:

I've looked in the freezer and I have chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, fillet steak, rump steak and skirt.

What have you got for dinner tonight or do you have any suggestions.

Kate
26-02-2013, 11:42 AM
We're having roast beef tonight - got it in the slow cooker and will do all the veg a bit later. DH cooks on a tuesday as Isabelle has gymnastics and we dont get home til 6, he's home at 5 so its his job!

I say get a takeaway tonight! :D

uscwest
26-02-2013, 12:12 PM
We have BBQ pork in the slow cooker. Should be melt in your mouth tender by the time we get home.

Wendy
26-02-2013, 12:53 PM
For the last 3 weeks it has been a takeaway (fish and chips) on a Tuesday :lol: because I've been to physio and we don't get home until later on.

I've just put a piece of gammon ham in the oven to bake, but I might just stick to the original plan and make a lasagne or spag bol.

I like to see what other people are cooking it gives me ideas.

John, if I was to give Chris pulled pork, he'd think Christmas had arrived early :lol: I don't know how I would cook it over here though :unsure:

uscwest
26-02-2013, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=Wendy;303463

John, if I was to give Chris pulled pork, he'd think Christmas had arrived early :lol: I don't know how I would cook it over here though :unsure:[/QUOTE] Do you not have slow cookers over there Wendy? This one was simple. Place some onions on the bottom of the slow cooker, put the pork in the pan with some seasoning to taste, add more onions and then pour in BBQ sauce and let it cook on low for at least 10 hours.

Wendy
26-02-2013, 03:15 PM
We do have slow cookers, but I don't have one. I thought you could only cook casseroles in them :unsure:

MystikPiglit
26-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Bangers and mash here. One of DH's favourites. :)
Wendy, you can just cook pork on a really slow oven for the same result.

Wendy
26-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Can you :) what cut of pork do you use?

MystikPiglit
26-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Can you :) what cut of pork do you use?

I don't make it but my son does. Remind me to ask him on Thursday. :)

Wendy
26-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I don't make it but my son does. Remind me to ask him on Thursday. :)

Me remind you :lol: you know what my head is like :lol:

MystikPiglit
26-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Me remind you :lol: you know what my head is like :lol:

:lol: I'll set a reminder on my phone.

Mari
26-02-2013, 05:45 PM
We keep it super simple during the week

But on sunday we had honey-mustard chicken... I just mix maple syrup, dijon mustard and salt, put the chicken it the mixture for about 25mins then put it in the oven in a pyrex dish. I pour the leftover mix on top of it and put in in the oven for about an hour

Its super easy, and it tastes delicious!

We just do steamed veggies on the side

lisaw
26-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Wendy we use the slow cooker all the time, it makes great pulled pork and we also use it for shredded chicken to go with tacos/tortillas. Just bung the meat in with some stock and seasoning of choice and cook on low all day or even overnight, leave the lid off for an hour or so at the end to dry it out a bit and then take out the meat and shred with forks :yes:

Wendy
26-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks Lisa, I think I'll have to look into getting one. So a slow cooker isn't just for casseroles and stews then :unsure:

lisaw
26-02-2013, 07:18 PM
No definitely not - have a search online for slow cooker recipes, I found one site that had an idea for every day of the year! :lol:

Tink
27-02-2013, 02:19 AM
We have a slow cooker, but I don't care for what it does to the flavor of pork (or any meat for that matter). :sorry: Needless to say, we don't use it often.

For "indoor" pulled pork Wendy, we use a pork shoulder. It needs to have heavy fat so it will melt and baste the meat as it cooks. Then, we use a dry rub, often overnight.

On a very low and slow oven (no higher than 225 F) we cook it for at least 8 hours, often longer. It will depend upon the weight of the roast, of course.

Once done, we may or may not add sauce (I usually don't like sauce on mine).

If Herself is doing pork ribs, she does them on the charcoal grill and the gas grill (yep, she moves them back and forth). Those are basted toward the end of cooking with the sauce.

So, all that to say, I'd give it a go if I were you, using your oven. :yes:

Shellyamc
27-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Wendy we use the slow cooker all the time, it makes great pulled pork and we also use it for shredded chicken to go with tacos/tortillas. Just bung the meat in with some stock and seasoning of choice and cook on low all day or even overnight, leave the lid off for an hour or so at the end to dry it out a bit and then take out the meat and shred with forks :yes:

:yes:I learned from Johnie that you can also do the chicken with either a bottle of bbq sauce (we use this on rolls with coleslaw) or a bottle of salsa and a can of crushed pineapple (for tacos), easy and amazing!

Johnie
27-02-2013, 04:05 AM
The salsa chicken is one of my favorites.

I've done a great pork loin with French dressing, can if cranberry sauce and sliced onions. It's nice and tangy.

I also have my pot roast. I will not make it any other way now.

So many great recipes and I really like coming home to supper almost complete.

uscwest
27-02-2013, 12:20 PM
I love our slow cooker. Unfortunately most recipes call for 8-10 hours on low. That would be fine if we were in a normal work environment. However, we leave home at 4:30AM and most times don't get home until at least 5:00PM. That means that whatever is in the crockpot has been cooking for 13 hours. This is fine for pulled pork or chicken, but for a lot of other recipes it means they are overcooked. :sorry: