PDA

View Full Version : If you won the lottery

Johnie
16-03-2013, 06:41 PM
or came into a big inheritance, got a huge bonus at work, etc

What would you do with it? I like to dream a little :yes:

The first thing I would do is call the Department of Education to ask how much my student loans are and pay them off! And then perhaps take some time off of work so I can finish my Ph.D :yes: As it stands now, with 1 class a quarter, I feel like I am never going to finish!

I always hear people talk about how they would quit their job and not work. Not me! I happen to love my job (especially where I am now) and I need health insurance. It's very expensive to not have it and I imagine one bad thing would take all of my money away! Plus, I would get bored not working. I think :unsure:

keith
16-03-2013, 07:02 PM
I think it'd have to be an around the world trip. I love Florida and so with limited holidays, I tend to always want to spend them there but with sufficient resources, I'd love to see as many other places as I could.

Work is an odd one. My current role is extremely stressful and I'm not sure I'd really opt to keep doing it if money wasn't a motivation :lol: but I wouldn't want to have absolutely nothing to do every day. Perhaps something completely unstressfull even if it paid peanuts :lol: just to get out and about

oh and I too would finish my phd or more likely, I'd restart it on a newer more relevent topic :yes:

Johnie
16-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Ah yes, I would love to travel the world! That would be an awesome and amazing adventure :yes:

Well, I don't think I would work nearly as much. But, it would be wonderful to have KMA money!!

keith
16-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Ah yes, I would love to travel the world! That would be an awesome and amazing adventure :yes:

Well, I don't think I would work nearly as much. But, it would be wonderful to have KMA money!!

Tell me something, doing a phd over in the states, is it a matter of having the money to pay, applying for it and doing it? So many folks seem to do one these days. Over in the UK you have to find a supervisor who's willing to take you on and generally THEY specify the topic.

I'd be really tempted to see if I could do one remotely with an american university if it were possible for me to specify my own research topic

Johnie
16-03-2013, 07:26 PM
As far as I know, you get to pick your topic. You do have to get a dissertation team together and they help guide you. I haven't gotten to that point yet

robertcraig
16-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Travel to every place i wanted to first class of course

Johnie
16-03-2013, 08:13 PM
First class is nice :yes:

Have you heard the news that they are trying to make a replica of the Titanic?

Wendy
16-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Well according to Chris if he won the lottery he wouldn't tell me :lol: he said that I would tell everyone and then when people wrote to us asking for help, I'd feel sorry for them and give them money :lol:

If I won the lottery, I'd have 2 new knees and make a big donation to the local Hospice that looked after my Dad in his last days. I'd then take a holiday and decide what to do with the rest :lol:

Johnie
16-03-2013, 08:49 PM
:nono: if you don't talk to me now, don't talk to me after I win the lottery!

I want to change my answer, the very first thing I would do is hire an accountant!

Tink
16-03-2013, 09:31 PM
First thing I'd do is pay off ALL the bills. Whew.

If there was anything left... :D

Put a "bunch" away for retirement, and for inheritances for family. Also, for some family, pay off their bills, that sort of helping thing.

Then I'd set up a foundation. I've had many ideas through the years, but it would have something to do with supporting students who wanted to study law, languages, animal husbandry... all in memory of those who are no longer with me.

I would share some with certain people. There is a housekeeper at work and it truly breaks my heart that she has to work. She's struggling to breathe for Pete's sake. :( It would be wonderful to make her life easier, wouldn't it?

Then travel of course! It would be wonderful to have the time and money to travel to all the places I've always wanted to see.

I'd enroll in all sorts of language classes and focus on that PhD in linguistics... I'd love to study Irish in Ireland, and further my education in French in France, Italian in Italy, you get the idea. I'd like to learn some Native American languages. I have this theory, you see... well, we'll save that for another time. :D

I might actually try to open that ALF, or the bookshop (with Herself's cookies :D) or buy that goat farm and make cheese, caramel, fudge...

Many options.

BUTTERHEAD1
17-03-2013, 03:45 PM
If I hit the Powerball $260 million I would immediately retire from my job. I would take a year off from working and spend more time at home with the family.I currently work nights and weekends and feel like i am not home enough. I would travel with my son looking at potential colleges that he may attend in Sept 2014. I would also buy a larger apartment in lower Manhattan to live in and a vacation Condo down in Florida (Siesta Key). I have a brother and sister that I would love to help make their lives a little easier. My mom would want for nothing. After my year off I would find a place to volunteer helping troubled youth and/or sick children. I would also like to volunteer and donate to My two favorite charities, which are Make a Wish and the Special Olympics. My golf game could use an improvement and I would like to get a boat(nothing fancy) and do some fishing.

MystikPiglit
17-03-2013, 05:12 PM
The best thing would be that Pete could give up work. That would make us both so happy. I'd buy homes for us, my son and daughter. Money to siblings and the charities we support. Of course, also a first class trip to WDW.
Yes, I do spend a lot of time daydreaming. :)

Wendy
17-03-2013, 05:14 PM
There's nothing wrong with day dreaming :hug2:

Dawn
17-03-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't know to be honest.

We always need new pillows in this house though. :shrug:

Johnie
17-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Lol that would buy a lot of pillows!

It's fun to daydream :-)

Tink
17-03-2013, 07:22 PM
We need new pillows too. Problem is, finding good ones. :sigh:

keith
17-03-2013, 08:05 PM
We need new pillows too. Problem is, finding good ones. :sigh:

you'd think it'd be easy but no?

I like pillows that have a bit of resistance to them, not talking bricks but *something* there and ones that don't go hot within seconds so I dont need to keep turning them over.

do some mythical beasts exist? If so, I don't know where to buy them :(

Britchick
17-03-2013, 08:09 PM
We have to have firm pillows to sleep, I usually change our top ones once a year, I like M&S ones

uscwest
17-03-2013, 09:01 PM
I guess it would depend on how much we actually won. We would definitely pay off our bills and retire if we won enough. Given the current Powerball amount, if we were to win that we'd probably buy one of those new houses they just built at WDW.

Johnie
17-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I guess it would depend on how much we actually won. We would definitely pay off our bills and retire if we won enough. Given the current Powerball amount, if we were to win that we'd probably buy one of those new houses they just built at WDW.

Can I have a room???

MystikPiglit
17-03-2013, 09:38 PM
ones that don't go hot within seconds so I dont need to keep turning them over.

Hungarian goose down pillows from House of Fraser. Best pillows ever!

keith
17-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Hungarian goose down pillows from House of Fraser. Best pillows ever!

ooo wow ok thanks! I'll have a try :yes: