1/8 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 pound orange American cheese
1 tsp yellow mustard
salt
pepper
3 cups rotini pasta (or shells)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated.

In a small pan, melt margarine and add flour. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Do not brown. Heat milk separatley and whisk into the roux. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes until mixture thickens. Add American cheese and mustard. Blend well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Do not boil sauce once cheese has been added or sauce may break.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and rince under cold water. Drain well again and mix with sauce. Place in an oven-proof baking dish and sprinkle top with grated cheese. Broil (grill) until cheese melts and top is lightly browned.

Tink
17-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Serves ONE! LOL! I love a good cheesy macaroni and cheese, but that's one huge amount! :D

sazzledazzle
17-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm very sorry to say but ds LOVES uk mac & cheese but hates the US version 'it's too cheesy'!!!!

Tink
17-08-2008, 10:11 PM
How is it made in the UK?

sazzledazzle
17-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Well the way I make it is flour & butter to make a roux then milk to make a white sauce then add the cheese (whatever is hanging around prob cheddar tho) melt the cheese thru the sauce then stir into precooked pasta.
ds was sooooo looking forward to US mac n cheese then when he tried it at disney he thought it was disgusting and it really put him off!

Tink
17-08-2008, 10:17 PM
:yes: I make it quite the way you describe. :yes: I don't like processed American cheese so never put it in mine. Velveeta! YUCK! Nothing but plastic as far as I'm concerned!

sazzledazzle
17-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes i think you're right it's the plastic cheese thing I think, you can buy it in horrible floppy plastic wrapped cheese 'slices' here disgusting!

Tink
17-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I'll have real cheese please! :D

uscwest
18-08-2008, 12:58 AM
I make a mac and cheese that would put Disney's to shame. LOL

Beccaberry
18-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Yes i think you're right it's the plastic cheese thing I think, you can buy it in horrible floppy plastic wrapped cheese 'slices' here disgusting!

*giggle* Jon calls this "dog cheese" because the only reason they used to buy it in his household was to fold their dog's medication into it and feed it to him...

I was making Baleigh a toasted cheese sandwhich one night and asked him if we had any cheese, he said, "only dog cheese" Baleigh was MORTIFIED. LOL!!

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:19 AM
LOL! I LOVE it! LOL!

Dawn
18-08-2008, 11:33 AM
It's the processed cheese definitely.

I saw cheese sauce being made for baked potato toppings once. The cook took the lid off the tin, let the giant lump of orange stuff slide into a pan and then it was heated for 40 minutes to become a sauce. I think I just had salad that night. :eek:

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Ugh~ ~ ~

Ponderosa is like that, only worse. Nearly everything there is reconsituted powder. ICK!

cathydisneynut
19-08-2008, 07:56 PM
I make a mac and cheese that would put Disney's to shame. LOL

Recipe please! Pretty please?!?!?!?

uscwest
20-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Recipe please! Pretty please?!?!?!?

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cuscwest%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Black"; panose-1:2 11 10 4 2 1 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Macaroni & Cheese <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
¼ - ½ pound of butter (125-250g)
3 cups of milk (I use low fat, not skim/fat free)
1 medium onion
Flour (I don’t measure, I just add it until it looks about right for a roux)
4 flavors of cheese (approximately 3-4 cups) cubed or shredded
Note: Here I can buy a 4 cheese blend in my grocery store with cheddar as one of the blends. But basically any 4 complementary cheeses can be used
1 pound (500g) box of Elbow Macaroni
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika To Taste (I use hot Hungarian)
If desired a goodly size chunk of smoked/cured ham
Melt the butter over medium heat
Cut and dice the onion and sauté in butter and salt and pepper until just soft
Sprinkle in the flour and stir until it thickens.
Add the milk and bring to almost a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in cheese until it melts, if you are using ham you can dice it up and stir it in at this point also.
Heat oven to 375F / 190 C
While doing the above, in separate pan boil salted water (I also add just a touch of Extra Virgin Olive Oil). When the water is boiling, add the macaroni and cook according to directions.
Drain the macaroni and return to the pan. Stir in the cheese mixture.
When it is well mixed turn it out into a greased baking pan
Top Mixture with a sprinkle of paprika
Place in Oven for approximately 30 -40 minutes.

cathydisneynut
20-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Thank you!!!!!

uscwest
20-08-2008, 11:41 AM
You're welcome.

Johnie
20-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I love all cheeses except Velveeta and that nasty plastic wrapped stuff. Neither is really cheese IMO.

Tinkfan
10-04-2009, 10:22 PM
:wave: Doesn't Disney usually serve Stauffers mac and cheese?

uscwest
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
:wave: Doesn't Disney usually serve Stauffers mac and cheese?For sure at LTT but JIKO does their own and I'm sure there are some other restaurants that do their own also. Most of the Mac&Cheese on kids menus is probably also Stouffer's.

Tink
11-04-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure that is the case. I have an acquaintance that works in one of the huge kitchen set ups for Disney and he makes monstrous batches of Mickey shaped pasta mac and cheese. I was under the impression that WDW made all of it's own food, and didn't use other companies products. :unsure:

foreverducky
11-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I know I'm a minority, but I like wrapped plastic cheese. :D

John, that mac/cheese sounds so yummy!

Tink
11-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Herself does too, foreverducky. She particularly likes it for certain things (toasted cheese, etc.) and :eek: She likes VELVEETA! :eek: She doesn't eat it much (I make that a little difficult :sorry: ) but she does like it. :sigh:

foreverducky
11-04-2009, 02:23 PM
That's what I use it for too...and sometimes put it my salad. Also like Velveeta too. I make cheese soup with it. :D

Mags
11-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I dont mean to be rude but I didnt like the Mac and Cheese in the States either. I love it made with strong cheddar and hot English mustard. It is just too mild tasting and the cheese doesnt taste of much. Oooops!

Margaret

Ursula
13-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Apparently in Barbados they have macaroni pie... which is macaroni cheese with a Barbados sauce in it?... I gather it's a hot sauce of some kind, so looking forward to trying that. I cheat and make mine now with either ASDA or Sainsbury's ready made tubs of four cheese sauce (found by the fresh pasta section) and add whatever cheese I have in the fridge to it like parmesan and crumbled blue cheese and a spoonful of hot English mustard then grate cheese over it all and slices of tomato and course black pepper over it... yummy....

But pasta really fills me up quick now so I can only have a small cereal bowl of it at a time now... which is good I spose...

Tink
13-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, I made a variation of mac and cheese for dinner yesterday. I wasn't pleased with the result, but those who ate it said it was good. :shrug:

Helly :hug2: I have to avoid pasta all together. It's a true weakness of mine and if I start, all sorts of 'out of control' eating comes into play. I'm teaching myself that it is a poison to me. :sigh: I wonder if I'll ever get to the point where I believe that? :D

uscwest
13-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Well, I made a variation of mac and cheese for dinner yesterday. I wasn't pleased with the result, but those who ate it said it was good. :shrug:

Helly :hug2: I have to avoid pasta all together. It's a true weakness of mine and if I start, all sorts of 'out of control' eating comes into play. I'm teaching myself that it is a poison to me. :sigh: I wonder if I'll ever get to the point where I believe that? :D
Tink, if the pasta problem is the carbs, try Dreamfields. It is a bit more expensive but has more digestible carbs and is recommended for diabetics.

foreverducky
13-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I do enjoy wheat pasta. :D But only every once in a while.

Tink
13-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I've tried Deamfields. :yes:

I use only whole wheat pasta, never semolina and or durham wheat anymore. :sigh:

It doesn't help much, John. :( It still spikes the glucose (and since I don't use meds to control it, only diet, I have to be wicked careful) but moreso sets off those craving types of behaviors (eating beyond the point of satiety and being hungry within thirty minutes-all traceable back to the carb spiking).

It's also a psychological thing with me. Pasta is attached to all the warm fuzzies of my childhood...

Best avoided, at least at this point. :yes: Perhaps I'll get good enough at the combining of foods for glucose control to pair it with thing that don't cause such a spike in glucose (protiens, ect.). Then I'll only have to deal with the emotional constructs! :D :D

It is a good product for anyone though, John. :yes: Glucose spike is glucose spike regardless of whether someone is diabetic or not.

Tinkfan
13-04-2009, 01:04 PM
I've tried Deamfields. :yes:

I use only whole wheat pasta, never semolina and or durham wheat anymore. :sigh:

It doesn't help much, John. :( It still spikes the glucose (and since I don't use meds to control it, only diet, I have to be wicked careful) but moreso sets off those craving types of behaviors (eating beyond the point of satiety and being hungry within thirty minutes-all traceable back to the carb spiking).

It's also a psychological thing with me. Pasta is attached to all the warm fuzzies of my childhood...

Best avoided, at least at this point. :yes: Perhaps I'll get good enough at the combining of foods for glucose control to pair it with thing that don't cause such a spike in glucose (protiens, ect.). Then I'll only have to deal with the emotional constructs! :D :D

It is a good product for anyone though, John. :yes: Glucose spike is glucose spike regardless of whether someone is diabetic or not.

I'm a type 1 diabetic so I know what you mean. You really have to search to find foods that don't cause a spike. Like cambell's tomato soup sends me out of the ball park! Luckily I'm also a nurse educator so at least I have the background. But diabetes is an emotional roller coaster. Especially around the holiday's.

Tink
13-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Type I is a bit more challenging than Type II, eh? :hug2: My niece is Type I and we are hopefully getting her on a pump soon.

I just try to keep uppermost in my mind that anything I ingest is "medicine." A simplistic approach, but one that works for me.

I am forever astonished though by people who continuously push things on me once I've politely declined, and then declined again with a short statement of not being able to physiologially (yes,PHYSIO :D ) handle the item. People still act as though I'm being stupid. I had one nurse give me a lecture on my "avoidance of carbs" because I declined a bagel. :rolleyes: Hello? Do you KNOW the nutritional aspect of those products? She then included in the lecture how she can eat anything and so on.

I'm not being an idiot. I know what I can eat (well, am still always learning) and try to be very careful about it. I have to be if I want to continue to avoid medication.

Eeesh! Sorry. Didn't meant to get on and on about it.

However, if you have any advice for responding to those sorts of pushy comments, I'll gladly accept it!

Tinkfan
13-04-2009, 03:45 PM
:wave: People still don't understand what spikes some people doesn't spike others( case in point Cambells soup) Now there is no reason that most diabetics couldn't eat 3/4 of a cup of it but me I,m 420 after I eat it! Do you have a glucometer? That truly is the best way to track what works for you. I can't use a pump because I'm allergic to the adhesive but I inject like a pump if you know what I mean! i get the same thing even from family. " your so thin you can have a small piece!!!" Well I do but I have to rainbow all the insulin and frankly for a stale old brownie, it's not worth it LOL!!

Tink
13-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh yes. I have a glucometer. Wouldn't be ablet to track otherwise. :yes:

Same here. You've lost so much, one slice/bite/piece isn't going to set you back. Uhhhh, it's not all about the weight loss! It's the blood glucose control I'm after! :sigh:

I so know what you mean! "Is it worth it..." is my motto. :D Are the calories worth it? Is the spike going to be worth it? The answer is usually no.

420 after a serving of Campbell's soup would so turn me off. :sigh:

So! Back to the avoidance of pasta! :D It's the same thing. Doesn't bother some, but for a whole lot of reasons, it's not something I can have without serious consequences. :shrug:

paulgraham
24-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Ahhh any kind of baked macaroni I'll take, processed cheese or not! Haha...