PDA

View Full Version : help quick sunset photos

Britchick
17-08-2008, 06:53 PM
ok how do i get a good photo of a sunset, the clock is ticking lol

thanks

Slowhand
18-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Getting a good shot of a sunset can be a bit tricky. I tend to take several shots using various aperture settings etc. and usually a few of them come out ok.

Dawn
18-08-2008, 04:29 PM
I think we've missed the moment. :rofl:

I just point, shoot and hope for the best really.

Dizneyblonde
18-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Have a sunset to photograph is always a bonus.

Won't find one at 17.42 on an August afternoon though :D

Britchick
18-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Have a sunset to photograph is always a bonus.

Won't find one at 17.42 on an August afternoon though :D

:slap::slap:

where were you all lol, the only one i'll probably see this week, didn't bring my cable with me so will have to wait till i get home to see how it came out.

Some websites say use a low iso some high- i'm confused!

lozzy
18-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Not done a sunset with my new Canon but took a sun rise photo a few weeks back,

http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=13&pictureid=131

BevW
18-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm like Slowhand...I take several pics at several settings and just cross my fingers and toes.

Cj.
19-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Hello,

Here is my two cents worth on taking Sunsets for those interested.

Firstly, you will need to check the time of the day for sunset, as you don't want to miss it.

Second step is to mount your camera to a sturdy tripod, as with the low setting sun, you won't have much light available so you will need to leave the shutter open a little long.

With the modern day SLR, you can use something called Exposure Bracketing. What this will do is allow you to capture a shot under exposed, exposed as you think, and one over exposed within a time frame specified.

I shoot a lot in RAW so this allows me to blend them together to get the best highlights and also the bits which are dark. It's official term is called HDR (high dynamic range) images. Have a look on the web, there are some amazing examples.

I blend them all together using a program called Photomatix Pro, and then do a little bit of Tone Mapping in the program depending on the feel I want.

Cj.