PDA

View Full Version : buying new cars

Britchick
24-03-2013, 08:17 PM
ugh what a nightmare, my car is costing me a fortune in petrol and getting to that age so looking at trading it in for one of the new ford fiestas- brilliant mpg on their eco models. Thought i'd negotiated a good deal with the dealer yesterday and he phoned me at home after we both signed to say he couldn't do it at that price and offered me another deal which obviously isn't as good on another car. Really annoyed. Why do i feel that he is just playing me. Really don't want to have to go through all the negotiation again

Beccaberry
24-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Ugh. Massive red flag there, Jules. On face value, it does sound as though he might be playing you to see if he can get a better deal. I know it's a pain, but did you try the "I'll see if I can do better at another dealership" line to see if it moves things along? Not to play games, but really, if he's going to manipulate you, you'll be better of somewhere else in the end.

Good luck to you, it can be a real pain.

Britchick
24-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Ugh. Massive red flag there, Jules. On face value, it does sound as though he might be playing you to see if he can get a better deal. I know it's a pain, but did you try the "I'll see if I can do better at another dealership" line to see if it moves things along? Not to play games, but really, if he's going to manipulate you, you'll be better of somewhere else in the end.

Good luck to you, it can be a real pain.

i thought that might be the case, i sincerely hope he doesn't think he can play me because i'm a woman. :lol: big mistake....huge mistake

i will stick to my guns and see how it goes, it's coming up to the end of the month and quarter so i may be lucky!

Johnie
24-03-2013, 08:34 PM
If you signed, aren't they obligated at that price???

Britchick
24-03-2013, 08:36 PM
If you signed, aren't they obligated at that price???

no, apparently not. I was but they're not

Johnie
24-03-2013, 08:44 PM
That's crazy. I'd go somewhere else just on principle

Beccaberry
24-03-2013, 08:45 PM
i thought that might be the case, i sincerely hope he doesn't think he can play me because i'm a woman. :lol: big mistake....huge mistake

i will stick to my guns and see how it goes, it's coming up to the end of the month and quarter so i may be lucky!

HUGE mistake ;)

I think if I were you, I'd play a little hardball and see how it goes. Perhaps a little pressure. Something along the lines of, "Well, Mr. Smith, I thought we had a deal the first time around; and it appears as though we did not. If I can't trust that you're willing and able to honor the first deal we made, why would I trust you any further? I think it might be better if I find another salesman to speak with, perhaps one who has more experience in knowing what "can be done" so that I don't waste any more of my valuable time."

Johnie
24-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Agreed!!

Britchick
24-03-2013, 08:50 PM
HUGE mistake ;)

I think if I were you, I'd play a little hardball and see how it goes. Perhaps a little pressure. Something along the lines of, "Well, Mr. Smith, I thought we had a deal the first time around; and it appears as though we did not. If I can't trust that you're willing and able to honor the first deal we made, why would I trust you any further? I think it might be better if I find another salesman to speak with, perhaps one who has more experience in knowing what "can be done" so that I don't waste any more of my valuable time."

I have something along those lines written down but shall steal elements! Lol

Johnie I don't think anywhere else would be any different, contracts are always weighted in favour of the seller and they have no obligation to sell at the price quoted.

Beccaberry
24-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Go get 'em...by the time you're done he'll be begging you to take the car for free! LOL!

Keep us posted!

Johnie
24-03-2013, 09:06 PM
You need to play hard ball! Do your homework and see what they offer. Good luck!

Tink
25-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Wow. I'm nearly speechless.

There has to be another car dealership in the general area, yes? Go there. I know buying a car is horrible, and the negotiation is a real pain in the ... neck, but there is serious money to be lost, no? :unsure:

Definitely don't fall for that nonsense.

josh.p.
25-03-2013, 02:06 AM
I would demand to speak to a manager. I know salesrooms tend to be 'dog eat dog' but I seriously would not be happy, either that or head office. The only problem is- would you be happy giving him the commission he is surely on after that? :unsure:

Britchick
25-03-2013, 08:48 AM
If I thought the manager gave a monkeys I would speak to him, I just think all of them are after what they can get no matter the cost. I'm checking out some online options today too today. Just wish you could see a price, buy it, end of. :yes:

Sam
25-03-2013, 09:23 AM
That is so out of order. Shop round petal. Do you need the car right now? I would definately play the dealerships off against one another. Just think of the satisfaction you'll get if you manage to get another deal with another dealership and then telling that guy that he can poke off. Good luck my lovely.

Britchick
25-03-2013, 04:16 PM
He rang me back, his attitude is appalling, I said I wasn't interested in the new deal he had offered at that price. He started saying about the fact that military discount was not compatable with the options plan I wanted etc. I stated that that was funny as I'd spoken to head office that morning and they confirmed the discount was on top of any promotions out there. So I told him that I was in no hurry to buy and bade him farewell. Can't tell you what I said when I put down the phone...grrrrr. So I'm back to square one! Don't know if I can be bothered anymore

Beccaberry
25-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. Really. Move on, Jules. He's not who you want to do business with.

Vikki
25-03-2013, 06:08 PM
I agree. There's plenty of other places that'll sell you a car. Trust me, I just sorted mine at the weekend :)

Wendy
25-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Is there a dealer in another area that sells the same car :unsure: We have a garage in Plymouth who has slowly got the franchise for just about every make of car. We went to another town to buy ours, purely because we didn't want to deal with them. The service we got was fantastic and we got good discounts, when we mentioned the other garage they said we weren't the first customers to say that.

Once I'd got the deal I wanted I'd then go back to the original dealer in my new car and ask to speak to the manager and I'd let them know that they'd lost a sale and the guy had lost him commission. My Dad always said "Don't get angry, get even" :lol:

Britchick
25-03-2013, 06:20 PM
I may go to another dealer nearby, probably the same one Vikki went to but won't be until next month now.

Dizneyblonde
25-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Is there a dealer in another area that sells the same car :unsure: We have a garage in Plymouth who has slowly got the franchise for just about every make of car. We went to another town to buy ours, purely because we didn't want to deal with them. The service we got was fantastic and we got good discounts, when we mentioned the other garage they said we weren't the first customers to say that.

Once I'd got the deal I wanted I'd then go back to the original dealer in my new car and ask to speak to the manager and I'd let them know that they'd lost a sale and the guy had lost him commission. My Dad always said "Don't get angry, get even" :lol:

Is that Evans Halshaw Wendy?

Vikki
26-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I may go to another dealer nearby, probably the same one Vikki went to but won't be until next month now.

It wasn't a Ford dealer I went to. However, we have used the local ford dealer for previous cars and they were really good. There's a young girl who works there and is fantastic :)

Wendy
26-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Is that Evans Halshaw Wendy?

No it was Vospers Teresa, we went to Quay at Kingsbridge in the end.

We are looking at a Vauxhall this time but we dealt with Evans Halshaw in the past and they weren't brilliant.

Dizneyblonde
27-03-2013, 12:29 AM
No it was Vospers Teresa, we went to Quay at Kingsbridge in the end.

We are looking at a Vauxhall this time but we dealt with Evans Halshaw in the past and they weren't brilliant.

That's a shame as Evans have been fantastic with me.
I dealt with Steve Dove and he couldn't have been more helpful.In fact all if the staff were great and nothing was too much trouble.

Wendy
27-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Ok thanks, they might be better now, the last time we used them was when they were called Allens about 13 years ago :lol:

Chris quite likes the new Zafira Tourer and it would be easier for me to get in and out of as well. I like the Ford Grand Cmax, what's the betting we end up with the Zafira!

Britchick
27-03-2013, 08:30 AM
The new C-Max's are lovely, I like mine at the moment although its an older model.

Wendy
27-03-2013, 12:26 PM
The new C-Max's are lovely, I like mine at the moment although its an older model.

I really like them and the new ones have all the goodies with them as well.

I need something that is higher to get in and out, we have a focus at the moment and I fall in and get pulled out :lol: Is your C-Max high?

Britchick
27-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Yes it is that's why I like it, I have a little pain in my knee sometimes which makes changing gear painful and neverly had a problem because of the angle. Please don't take this the wrong way but it was also perfect when I worked in the community and needed to take patients somewhere.

Wendy
27-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Yes it is that's why I like it, I have a little pain in my knee sometimes which makes changing gear painful and neverly had a problem because of the angle. Please don't take this the wrong way but it was also perfect when I worked in the community and needed to take patients somewhere.

Not at all :hug2: thanks for the information, I really appreciate it :hug2: Sadly I can't drive at the moment :( :sigh: but I'm hoping after the next operation it will help so then I might be able to drive again :fingers:

Watchinherskip
27-03-2013, 01:15 PM
C Max has just been released in the American market. Looks to have great mileage.

What a shame that dealer is less than honorable. As others have said I would give them the boot...ok UK...right I don't mean the trunk. :lol:

I bought my Subaru Outback via the internet. I had dealers try to best each other and got the car for a very good price. Do you have something comparable to Cars.com? Kelly Blue Book? You tell them exactly what you want and the distance you would consider travelling to to pick it up. It should be a buyer's market.

Britchick
27-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I know someone who's just bought a Subaru and they're very pleased with it.
I did give him the boot Dan, my enthusiasm has also gone from the whole thing, maybe I should get Jon to go and buy one for me! Lol

Beccaberry
27-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Nah! You got this! Maybe just take a week or two off and let the bad fall away, you'll get your spirit back!

Britchick
27-03-2013, 02:30 PM
That's really not like me lol! Thanks Becca :)

Vikki
27-03-2013, 08:02 PM
We seriously considered the new B Max. Its a brilliant car, and the doors are so clever!

Tink
28-03-2013, 10:01 AM
So, Brit. In the UK (or at least in your experience) when you walk away from a dealer/car, what do they do to try and convince you to return? Selling cars here is a huge business. You are nearly stalked until you make a decision. And if you leave without buying, they'll call and call and call... There was one car dealer here who was fined for taking a customer's keys and not returning them to her until she agreed to buy a car! :eek Needless to say that agreement wasn't binding as she drove directly to the police station once released.

But all that to say, is the place now courting you in any way, or are they such poor salespeople that they don't care that they've lost a deal?

Britchick
28-03-2013, 10:08 AM
I haven't had a call since I rejected his second offer, he said ring me if you change your mind. Oh and I looked into it, he is the sales manager. Thinking if writing to Ford, complaining about backing out of deal and the forces discount scam!

Tink
28-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Definitely do that. I don't know about there, but writing to manufacturers is usually a pretty effective argument. Let them know they lost the opportunity to sell a car, and with the power of the internet you are being sure to share your displeasure with your global world.

Tell them you regret not being able to own one of their cars, but you tried. Who knows? Maybe they'll see that you get a deal of a lifetime! :D

Vikki
28-03-2013, 11:24 AM
I agree. Definitely write to Ford. The thing is, you've now list trust at that dealership, but not with the brand (yet). Ask Ford to convince you to buy at another dealer.
I find car dealers aren't as pushy as they used to be, but you have to know how to get a good deal. For example, when I got my new car last week, there was an ideal price I would have accepted for my trade in. The dealer came back and pretty much offered me what I wanted. I didn't want him to know that though, and I said I'd expected about 400 more than that. So they increased their offer by 200. Result for me! As far as I'm concerned, there are lots of dealers, I'd rather walk away and get a better deal elsewhere than have something I'm not happy with. And I will walk away. Done it plenty of times ;) I guess it comes from working in sales for quite a few years :D

josh.p.
29-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Post on their Facebook page.. go on!

Wendy
29-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I like Josh's idea :D

Vikki
29-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Me too!

Britchick
29-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Ok!

Britchick
29-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Done, don't imagine I'll even get a response!

Wendy
29-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Ok!

*cough* *cough*! I thought you were going away for the weekend and not coming online for the whole time you were away so that you would have a much needed rest :toetap:

Britchick
29-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Mmmm well were just relaxing this afternoon, before 2 busy days ahead...and there's no Sky or cable!!!!!

Britchick
02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
I've had a response on Facebook asking for details on dealer etc

Wendy
02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
I've had a response on Facebook asking for details on dealer etc

Excellent! Name and shame :yes:

Britchick
03-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Well apparently he was right to do that and they're sorry that I feel the way I do...blah blah. I knew it would be futile.

Can anyone recommend a similar size/price car that has good mileage?

Wendy
03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Disgusting service!

Beccaberry
03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
In my opinion, even if he was right in WHAT he said, the fact that he didn't know protocol/procedure BEFORE making the offer is shameful. I'd move on, Jules.

Britchick
03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
The things that have annoyed me are that we had a deal, he went back on that and the fact that they advertise a military discount but in fact if you take that up it ends up costing you more, quite a lot more actually. I would have still looked had they not done a discount, I am not one that thinks that because dh is in the military we are entitled to one but will however take any discount on offer, you'd be stupid not to!I do feel however that if you are going to offer a discount then honour it, don't use it as a way of screwing more money out of people that have put their lives on the line for you! End of rant :lol: