PDA

View Full Version : What do you take to the Parks

Wendy
26-03-2013, 01:28 PM
When we go to the parks we don't take very much, just a camera and sometimes the camera bag and my little bag.

I get fed up just carrying that, but I see some people with lots of bags with food, towels and all sorts of things.

What do you take to the parks with you, a lot or just yourself?

robertcraig
26-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Just my camera in my pocket

MystikPiglit
26-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Well, we have a 2-part park bags. I carry round a Kipling bag containing essentials (tickets/money/sunglasses/wipes/tissues/fan etc) and the camera. Then we take a bag with sunscreen, brollies, jackets or whatever the weather dictates, and leave that in a locker at the park. I like to be prepared. :D

Beccaberry
26-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Wow, has this answer changed over the years! When the children were smaller the answer would have been "everything except the kitchen sink" and then some! Of course, then, we had a posh stroller to push it all around in! There were drinks and snacks, changes of clothes, first aid kits, bottles, diapers, along with the point and shoot, the "big" camera, and the video camera. As the years passed, the kids grew, and the stroller became a thing of the past, we started whittling down what we brought in with us.

Now, we're often found entering the park with nothing but our phones and our tickets. I'll bring the camera a few odd times during the trip, or grab the point and shoot - but not every time. There is a LOVELY sense of freedom to be able to go through the turnstile and give "security" a miss :)

Johnie
26-03-2013, 02:57 PM
I carry a small string backpack. I have to have my sunglasses case as it either holds my regular glasses or sunglasses. I have tried to eliminate this but I can't wear contacts and I like to see lol. I carry my vacation wallet (which doesn't have nearly as much junk as my regular wallet), small lotion and hand sanitizer and a little bag of all kinds of medical things! Let me tell you, my little bag of meds has helped many a person besides myself! My camera is on there too.

If I know we are only going to be in the park for a couple if hours, I don't bring the bag. It is very freeing.

uscwest
26-03-2013, 02:57 PM
As little as possible. Donna has her camera, a bag to hold it, as well as our park tickets. I may have a fanny pack with sunscreen and a few sundries in it.

Beccaberry
26-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Let me tell you, my little bag of meds has helped many a person besides myself!

Me, me, me!! You're sort of like the iPhone of meds, instead of "There's an app for that!" Johnie always says, "I have med for that!" You've been a lifesaver a number of times!

Watchinherskip
26-03-2013, 03:35 PM
I am now, and have always been the family Sherpa. So I carry what ever my DW and DD peel off during the day. So I carry a small daypack that hold our cameras (small p&s as well as our video camera), an anarak or shell (some type of wind proof layer, serves as rain gear as well) tickets, hat and wallet.

But like Becca said....it is all different now. We used to carry all the essentials when Alex was really young. We used to rent a stroller when we got there.

Faythstar
26-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Everyone in our party carries our own small bag (often a fanny pack) filled with camera, tickets, money, maps, and poncho. It drives my husband crazy when I wear a fanny pack, because as a native Floridian, he's been to Disney a lot more often than I have and he tells me it makes me look like a "tourist". LOL. I told him I AM a tourist! Then on our honeymoon, he got jealous of how convenient mine was and bought his own. I'll never let him live it down. :lol:

Beccaberry
26-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Everyone in our party carries our own small bag (often a fanny pack) filled with camera, tickets, money, maps, and poncho. It drives my husband crazy when I wear a fanny pack, because as a native Floridian, he's been to Disney a lot more often than I have and he tells me it makes me look like a "tourist". LOL. I told him I AM a tourist! Then on our honeymoon, he got jealous of how convenient mine was and bought his own. I'll never let him live it down. :lol:

:lol: Great story, Faythstar!

And Dan, yes, we rented a stroller for a few years as well. We call it the "in-between years" - when Baleigh was old enough to walk most of the day, but needed a bit of a rest towards the end of the evening. After a few years it morphed into a family game of "spot the abandoned stroller" - where we'd compete to see who could find a stroller that had been left for the night and just parked in some random area with the name tag removed. First person to spot one received a treat equal to what we would have spent to rent the stroller, and in the event that we didn't spot one, well, it distracted them enough looking not to care that they were still walking! :cleverstuff:

Dawn
26-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Tickets, money, camera and spare batteries, sunscreen, water bottles, snacks and fruit. Poncho if the weather dictates it. Mostly we put it all in various pockets of cargo shorts - those things hold more than a stroller could ever carry. :lol: I jave a waist pack with the valuable bits in.

Johnie
26-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Lol my pants would fall down if I put that much stuff in my pockets.

Beccaberry
26-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Tickets, money, camera and spare batteries, sunscreen, water bottles, snacks and fruit. Poncho if the weather dictates it. Mostly we put it all in various pockets of cargo shorts - those things hold more than a stroller could ever carry. :lol: I jave a waist pack with the valuable bits in.

Yes, Jon has become the cargo pocket Sherpa in our family :)

Sam
26-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I take a little rucksack with cameras, tickets, money, frozen water bottles, blister plasters and a few little snacks. I'm always the one who carries everyone's bit, but this time Meg is taking her own little rucksack for her water and camera and I'm going to make sure that my dad's partner carries their things.

Last time we had a buggy for the little man so we used to dump everything on that but this time the Geth is going to be walking. (Of course I'm might have sold him on ebay by then). :lol:

Tink
27-03-2013, 09:48 AM
We actually considered buying a Disney stroller to push Herself's camera gear around! :lol: Hey, we would have too, but they've raised the price so much we didn't. :shrug:

We rarely take the camera because it is so heavy.

Used to be we took backpacks prepared for the season. From rain gear (and some serious rain gear it was) to full blown lunches with water bottles, we had it with us.

Now? It's a ticket in one pocket, and cash or debit card in the other, most often. If we are going for the entire day, or have guests with us it may differ, but that's it generally.

Wendy
27-03-2013, 11:36 AM
We actually considered buying a Disney stroller to push Herself's camera gear around! :lol: Hey, we would have too, but they've raised the price so much we didn't. :shrug:

We rarely take the camera because it is so heavy.

Used to be we took backpacks prepared for the season. From rain gear (and some serious rain gear it was) to full blown lunches with water bottles, we had it with us.

Now? It's a ticket in one pocket, and cash or debit card in the other, most often. If we are going for the entire day, or have guests with us it may differ, but that's it generally.

I've seen and carried one of your bags that you taken to the park :lol: the camera is lighter than that surely :wink: :lol:

Mags
27-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I take everything including the kitchen sink. A rucksack is needed of course!
Purse
Passports
Tissues
Water
Band aids and blister patches
Savlon
Lipsil
Ibuprofen
Camera
Poncho

Mags

Beccaberry
27-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Purse
Passports
Tissues
Water
Savlon
Lipsil
Ibuprofen
Camera
Poncho

Mags

LOL! Mags how on earth do you walk under the weight of it all!!

Mags
27-03-2013, 06:08 PM
LOL! Mags how on earth do you walk under the weight of it all!!

With difficulty as the arthritis in my back always flares up badly when I use that blasted ruck. I cant seem to cut back though. :lol:

Mags

uscwest
27-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Purse
Passports
Tissues
Water
Savlon
Lipsil
Ibuprofen
Camera
Poncho

Mags

Just out of curiosity, why do you carry your Passports with you in the Parks?

Mags
27-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Im the one with the waterproof liner in my bag. My two need identification for alcohol. At least the passports aren't weighty. :)

Mags

Beccaberry
27-03-2013, 08:53 PM

Why to get around EPCOT, of course!!! Baaaahaaahaa!

Watchinherskip
28-03-2013, 04:44 PM
:lol: Great story, Faythstar!

And Dan, yes, we rented a stroller for a few years as well. We call it the "in-between years" - when Baleigh was old enough to walk most of the day, but needed a bit of a rest towards the end of the evening. After a few years it morphed into a family game of "spot the abandoned stroller" - where we'd compete to see who could find a stroller that had been left for the night and just parked in some random area with the name tag removed. First person to spot one received a treat equal to what we would have spent to rent the stroller, and in the event that we didn't spot one, well, it distracted them enough looking not to care that they were still walking! :cleverstuff:

:nono:SO that is what happened to our stroller at Mama Melroses!!!:lol:

Alex went ballistic when someone took it and she knew that she had a long way to walk. So one of Alex's first demands of ol dad was "Want neck!" I would put her up on my neck and carry her where ever...you got it like a Sherpa. There were times when she flopped on my head while up there and fell totally asleep! I used to be 6' 4" now and even 6' :wink:

Vikki
28-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Our kids are still young enough that we take a buggy, so everything goes in the baset for that. Not looking forward to when we no longer need one and have to actually carry things :p

Beccaberry
28-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Vikki, you'll be surprised at those "essentials" that become "optionals" once you're toting them through the park.

Wet wipes for dirty hands? Nah, just dust 'em off in that muddy puddle there.

Video camera? Bah! We'll just take photos and make the kids reenact our favorite moments!

Mark my words...just about everything becomes "optional." :)

Beccaberry
28-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Hahaha no, Dan, I swear it wasn't us! We only "repurposed" strollers with NO NAMETAG, and I can assure you there was NO "Watchinherskip Family" tag on it, I swear!

Vikki
28-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Vikki, you'll be surprised at those "essentials" that become "optionals" once you're toting them through the park

To be honest, we don't put that much in the buggy anyway. Suncream and and spare clothes will be only absolute essentials (Ava is toilet training).

Johnie
28-03-2013, 10:37 PM
I'll carry that little bitty pouch of meds for the group but everyone else is responsible for their own stuff! Lol

bigpapajon
29-03-2013, 06:17 PM
How does the park handle bags while you're on a ride? Are there cubbies? A shelf?

We will have a 1yo...I wish we didn't need to have a bigass bag.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 on Tapatalk

Watchinherskip
29-03-2013, 06:48 PM
How does the park handle bags while you're on a ride? Are there cubbies? A shelf?

We will have a 1yo...I wish we didn't need to have a bigass bag.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 on Tapatalk

I believe there are lockers somewhere but we never use them. I have always taken a daypack or fanny pack on the rides with me.

Johnie
29-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Some of the rides have a little bag that will hold your stuff. It's not very large. Disney does not have storage lockers at the rides like Universal does.

Dawn
30-03-2013, 06:24 AM
The tame rides you can take your bags on with you and stick them by your feet. The wilder rides - we leave our bag with Nanny who is a ride wuss. :D

Beccaberry
31-03-2013, 02:58 AM
As others have said, we typically just took our bag (usually of the camera or backpack variety) on the ride with us - even on rides such as Rock N Roller Coaster. I've never had an issue with this.

When the children were smaller and we had a stroller we usually just left the diaper bag in the basket of the stroller - I never had any problem with this except during the odd rainshower. If I sensed a shower was coming, I'd throw a poncho over the stroller to help keep it dry.

susanm
08-04-2013, 07:50 PM
usually just take my camera bag....it is big enough for my video camera (for parades and shows) digital camera, a hairbrush, wallet and meds..thats it...and it is small enough to shove under the seats on all the rides

Piglette
29-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I plan on going light, just carry a small cross-body bag with money, tickets, and Aleve for later in the day when everything hurts. We're going the week before Thanksgiving so I though I would leave jackets in a locker for evening just in case. I just hope I won't be too tired to walk all the way to the front of the park to get them, if needed.

Johnie
29-04-2013, 10:16 PM
My best advice for general aches and pains is to take Advil, Tylenol, Aleve when you start out in the morning. It staved off pain later in the day.

Tink
29-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Tylenol (acetominophen) is cleared through the liver, and is a good one to avoid if you can. Advil (ibuprofen) and Aleve (naproxene sodium) are both anti-inflammatory meds so they would help keep the swelling down, and keep muscles from aching too badly.

You can get ibuprophen (not sure about naproxene sodium) at the first aid stations so you don't need to carry it with you. (Unless you have a preferred brand). You can also buy single packets in some areas of the parks.

Remember that you can get other first aid items at the stations for free too. Band-aids, cooling gel (for bites, or that red rash that some folks develop from walking on the hot concrete). Cold water, cool sitting area and low lighting are other nice things about those stations.

You very well may need something light for the November evenings. I like thin pareos so I can double them if I need to. I just wrap them around my waist to carry.

The less you take the better.

uscwest
29-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Unfortunately Aleve is a no no for me
:(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tink
29-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Naproxene sodium is not the only anti-inflammatory. :)

Johnie
29-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Unfortunately Aleve is a no no for me
:(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I can't take Aleve, it feels like it is eating my stomach.

I'm not supposed to take Advil either but I do.

Tink
29-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Try taking it with a rich food each time. Whatever you do, DO NOT take a stomach tablet with it! :eek: (Ranitidine, famotidine, etc.).

Piglette
30-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Nice to hear that other people like to travel light. Some of the lists people post online for things to take into the park with you remind me of backpacking on the Appalachian trail. I'm fairly certain 'Frontier Land' wasn't literally a frontier. :wink:

Johnie
30-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Try taking it with a rich food each time. Whatever you do, DO NOT take a stomach tablet with it! :eek: (Ranitidine, famotidine, etc.).

I'll have to try that. I usually try to eat bread or something similar and that never works. Thankfully, I do not have any stomach issues.

Tink
30-04-2013, 12:10 AM
It's the fat or oil that helps. Slows down the absorption, and does a bit of neutralizing of the stomach acid. It doesn't work for everyone though, and some folks just can't take it.

I used to take Excedrin. It worked like a charm. Now? It's like I swallowed a fireball.

Johnie
30-04-2013, 12:20 AM
I will definitely try that. Thanks for the tip!

Beccaberry
30-04-2013, 01:22 AM

Why is that? I may have done that once or twice...

Beccaberry
30-04-2013, 01:23 AM
I'm fairly certain 'Frontier Land' wasn't literally a frontier. :wink:

Baaaahaaaaahaaa!! Now THAT'S funny!

Wendy
30-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Why shouldn't you take both :unsure: Chris was told by the doctor to take a ranitidine at the same time he takes a diclofenac or ibuprofen.

Tink
30-04-2013, 11:37 PM
There have been studies done here that show support for blowing out stomachs (developing ulcers, internal bleeding, etc) when doing that. The stomach med stops the acid, and changes the digestive process which in turn allows the ibuprofen to "eat" at the lining.

Beccaberry
01-05-2013, 12:38 AM
:jawdrop:

Oh my. 'Nuff said.

Tink
01-05-2013, 01:49 AM
I actually knew someone who ended up in the hospital with a stomach bleed because of it. :(

Wendy
01-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Wow, how the so doctors vary in countries. Chris was told that it stopped him getting a bleed by taking them at the same time. I think I will make him stop after reading what you've said Tink :( thank you.

Tink
01-05-2013, 08:49 AM
It is very odd, the exact opposite between the countries for some medical advice.

Another one that I find extremely interesting is the difference in diagnosing mental illnesses. Schizophrenia as diagnosed here is usually diagnosed as BiPolar disease in the UK. VERY different sets of criteria for those two illnesses!

Please don't have Chris change his health routine without his physician's approval. He could tell him that he's heard of the studies...

Shellyamc
01-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Wow, has this answer changed over the years! When the children were smaller the answer would have been "everything except the kitchen sink" and then some! Of course, then, we had a posh stroller to push it all around in! There were drinks and snacks, changes of clothes, first aid kits, bottles, diapers, along with the point and shoot, the "big" camera, and the video camera. As the years passed, the kids grew, and the stroller became a thing of the past, we started whittling down what we brought in with us.

Now, we're often found entering the park with nothing but our phones and our tickets. I'll bring the camera a few odd times during the trip, or grab the point and shoot - but not every time. There is a LOVELY sense of freedom to be able to go through the turnstile and give "security" a miss :)

Count me on the front end of this post :wave:

We typically carry 2 backpacks into the parks. 1 is an old Princess one and that is our "diaper bag" that always stays with the stroller (even when we leave it for a ride). It has diapers, wipes, extra clothes for each kid and that type of thing. It is full of things that we need (Marc was in diapers last trip), but are easily replaced if we needed to. Nobody ever touched that bag.

Then I carry my backpack! For this trip I picked up an organizing backpack from 31, and I am pretty excited about it! It has all these little pockets and zippers and totally feeds my OCD :D I carry the medical supplies, change for squished pennies, camera and camcorder, ponchos, tickets, money, snacks, sunscreen and whatever else we think we might need for the day. This bag stays with me at all times :yes: