PDA

View Full Version : largest walmart

Disfan
18-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Which is the largest walmart close to disney now? thanks

Tink
18-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Largest? :unsure: Not really sure of that, but the one closest is the newest one on Palm Parkway just a very short distance from DTD.

Taja
18-08-2008, 01:36 PM
There's one down a ways on SR535 that is huge. It makes our super store look small! :lol: I think it's in Kissimmee. Not the newer one closer to WDW, this is one of the old ones that reminds me of a Quonset hut from the front.

Those directions sound like "down the road a piece," don't they? I have no idea of the distance. I'm thinking it was 30 minutes or so after leaving Hotel Drive.

Slowhand
18-08-2008, 03:24 PM
The one on US27 North of the junction with US192 is also quite a large store.

Tink
18-08-2008, 03:31 PM
That's a bit of a newer one too, Slowhand. Kind of a good mix between visitors and locals for products. They have a pretty good British food section too. Not a huge selection mind, but some products that you might not find elsewhere.

Dawn
18-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Where's the best "classic" Walmart. Not one that caters to the tourist. Just a Walmart. One that typifies the image of Walmart. :lol:

Slowhand
18-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Where's the best "classic" Walmart. Not one that caters to the tourist. Just a Walmart. One that typifies the image of Walmart. :lol:
I reckon they are all much of the same really. It`s just that as Tink said, the one I mentioned has a "British food" section, although it`s only a very small affair....maybe 15ft. of one aisle from memory.

keith
18-08-2008, 03:52 PM

THANKYOU Dawn! exactly

All these walmarts make my head hurt :lol: What I want as a silly UK person is to go at silly time in the middle of the night when I cant sleep and see a HUGE US centric walmart.

I dont care if it has tourist stuff because thats not really what I'm about, I dont want to buy UK chocolate at 20*the price, I can live without it till I get back home :D

I want a store so American, and so Huge and so full of people in blue "can I help you?" shirts who only speak Spanish, that I literally stop when I walk in the door and say WOW :D

Dawn
18-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Someone once told me about a time they went to Walmart and there was a lady on an ecv fast asleep in the middle of an aisle using a pack of toilet rolls as a pillow. That's the sort of Walmart I want to visit. :lol:

keith
18-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Someone once told me about a time they went to Walmart and there was a lady on an ecv fast asleep in the middle of an aisle using a pack of toilet rolls as a pillow. That's the sort of Walmart I want to visit. :lol:

See there we go, we're on the same page.

Stick a large "Walmart - No Unions allowed" sign above her head and I've got my "what walmart means to me" photo all sorted for the holiday album

Tink
18-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Guess you'd better head to the old one on 192 then. It's a 24 hour Walmart. (Not sure if they all are)? :unsure:

The closest "non touristy" Walmart to WDW would be the one further north (than the one Slowhand mentioned) on 27 in Clermont.

Dawn
18-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Guess you'd better head to the old one on 192 then. It's a 24 hour Walmart. (Not sure if they all are)? :unsure:.

Cool! Will there be people sleeping in the aisles and will they be selling jars of pickled pigs feet?

I need to set aside at least 3 Walmart days next trip. :lol:

keith
18-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Guess you'd better head to the old one on 192 then. It's a 24 hour Walmart. (Not sure if they all are)? :unsure:

The closest "non touristy" Walmart to WDW would be the one further north (than the one Slowhand mentioned) on 27 in Clermont.

Thanks Tink! Is that the one next to medieval times? (the 192 one)?

Tink
18-08-2008, 04:20 PM
If it is going to happen anywhere, it'll be happening there. I've not been in years but have heard it's turned into quite the rubbishy Walmart.

Seriously Dawn? What's up with wanting to visit a Walmart all of a sudden? You aren't missing much of anything.

Dawn
18-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I've never been to a Walmart.

Been to a Meijer. Are they similar? Got lost in Meijer. Seriously lost. :eek:

Claire
18-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I always get lost in Ikea.

Dawn
18-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I always get lost in Ikea.

How is that possible? They have a yellow line on the floor that you follow round. :lol:

Taja
19-08-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm guessing the one I'm thinking about is on 192. I have no concept of where these highways begin and end. It just felt as though it was the end of the earth! :lol:

Okay, Keith. You need to visit the WalMart in Grants Pass, Oregon. That was the first WalMart I ever visited--we didn't have them at the time. I was teaching and taking some textile classes (one paid for the other!) and all if ys were so wired that we went shopping at 1:00 a.m.! :lol: They had a huge fabric department at that time, and apparently were just stocking some Pendleton Mills overruns at $1 per yard. Most of those ladies bought 30 to 50 yards! :eek: I was a bit more conservative and bought six yards--we don't wear wool very often in the low desert! :lol:

Not sure if they still carry Pendleton blankets in Frontierland at WDW. I was introduced to them at Frontierland in Disneyland. Always wanted one and never could afford it when I was young! :)

Tink
19-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Yes Keith, that's the one. :yes:

Pendleton. They had (may still) a lovely Pendleton shop in Portland, Maine. :yes: I still have a Pendleton blazer. Can't bear to part with that one last piece. I've not worn it in, ohhhhhhhh 8 years! Never gets cold enough here.

Taja
19-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Yes Keith, that's the one. :yes:

Pendleton. They had (may still) a lovely Pendleton shop in Portland, Maine. :yes: I still have a Pendleton blazer. Can't bear to part with that one last piece. I've not worn it in, ohhhhhhhh 8 years! Never gets cold enough here.

That's my problem, too, Tink! Typically we have two or three weeks that are cold enough to wear wool. I usually just add a jacket over my 12-month wardrobe! :)

Love the Pendleton fabrics, though! And $1 per yard was an incredible bargain. At that time it usually was $25+ per yard!

Ursula
19-08-2008, 11:15 AM
We been to the Medieval WalMarts a couple of times... that's where you can get your nails done real cheap too. It's got a bit ickyish now but it is a more traditional one I think. JMHO though. Have heard that you have to be careful though in that car park, how true that is I don't know.... but although have been safe there is definitely and air of something down there.

Ursula
19-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I now prefer to shop at the newer brighter Wally's now. I like to browse in the Cracker Barrell shop on the 192 near Formosa.... just love some of the quirky things they have in there.

Tink
19-08-2008, 12:10 PM
You are quite right about the 192 Walmart, Helly. :yes: Actually, it seems it's important to keep your head up and be very alert in any shopping area. Those areas are breeding grounds for thugs and you don't want to fall prey to one.

Cracker Barrell is often a popular place to pick up odd things. I don't care for the food there so never go in, but maybe I'll stop by to just have a look one day.

I would add this one caution, and I don't say it lightly. There is a Walmart about 3 miles north of Universal Studios on Kirkman Road (corner of Kirkman and Metro West). DO NOT GO THERE. It is a horrid place, and the parking area is often being cruised by police as there are so very many unsavory characters roaming about. Pick any other Walmart than that.

Claire
19-08-2008, 12:12 PM
How is that possible? They have a yellow line on the floor that you follow round. :lol:

It was in Paris. French lines are devilish to follow.