PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

Dawn
19-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Adrian's car went in for a service yesterday...

Full service, MOT, few new parts here and there...

That will be 520 please sir. :eek:

My car goes in next month. :sigh;

sazzledazzle
19-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I know mine got serviced, MOT, new catalytic convertor - 508 pls :confused: I think they just pluck a figure out of thin air!!!!

My brother is a mechanic as well (he didn't do the work unfortunately) We live 100 miles apart.

I think it's disgraceful :mad:

Dawn
19-08-2008, 07:32 AM
And it will need to go back after Christmas for a new engine mount - 172. :eek:

Adrian told them not to do that this time - just do what it needs to get through the MOT.

Britchick
19-08-2008, 09:38 AM
:shocked025:

cathydisneynut
19-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Flippin' awful! :hug2:

Ursula
19-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Oh god I hate that :(

Dawn
19-08-2008, 10:52 AM
They should build cars better. It's only 5 years old and we don't drive it heavily. The engines are so well built these days that they go forever while the rest of the car disintegrates around it. :mad:

Claire
19-08-2008, 10:52 AM
My dad once said to me you are never rich if you run a car.

Isafari
19-08-2008, 11:13 AM
A bit of a shock then Dawn!!!!!!!
I'm dreading mine going through this year.....if it's too expensive, I may have to get rid of it and use a bike.

lisaw
19-08-2008, 01:30 PM
:(

It doesn't matter how much I set aside for car services it is always a good 200 more than that.

Slowhand
19-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Now you know why I haven`t got a Ferrari Dawn. :lol:
I`ve heard that an average service costs thousands of pounds AND they need servicing every 3K or so.:shocked025:

keith
19-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Now you know why I haven`t got a Ferrari Dawn. :lol:
I`ve heard that an average service costs thousands of pounds AND they need servicing every 3K or so.:shocked025:

I was once behind a guy who had taken in his BMW M3 for service and when they told him how much it was going to cost he was on the edge of tears. When I saw the invoice I understood why! (It made my 7 series cost look cheap!)

ukwdwnut
19-08-2008, 02:23 PM
im so glad i dont pay for mine, geez what a rip off

i went on an analyzer on my old vectra and was 30 for 1 mins work :mad:

keith
19-08-2008, 02:42 PM
im so glad i dont pay for mine, geez what a rip off

i went on an analyzer on my old vectra and was 30 for 1 mins work :mad:

yeah I learnt a long time ago that for 30 or so I could buy an analyser from ebay that works on bmw/jags and most other makes. Plug it in usually under the dash, no more complicated than a scart connector into the back of a tv, and it tells you what the car is reporting is wrong with itself :)

Often means a cheap diy parts replacement or at least if I take it in, I know what I think is wrong with it when I go!

ukwdwnut
19-08-2008, 02:51 PM
yeah I learnt a long time ago that for 30 or so I could buy an analyser from ebay that works on bmw/jags and most other makes. Plug it in usually under the dash, no more complicated than a scart connector into the back of a tv, and it tells you what the car is reporting is wrong with itself :)

Often means a cheap diy parts replacement or at least if I take it in, I know what I think is wrong with it when I go!

blimey that was cheap, well worth the money, if you can do it yourself saves you a fortune

for instance

on my vectra it was a 2.0 twin cam and the head gasket went, vauxhall wanted 800 do do it, my BIL did it for 150, cheap as chips and it went like a dream after that. sold it to a woman on the dibb as she loved the look of the boy racer image it had, it had side skirts extra deep air dam on he front and a nice spoiler on the back, im sure it was lowered too, and on a run did 45mpg at 90mph, way better than my 07 zafira

Dawn
19-08-2008, 04:03 PM
And just where were you driving at 90mph huh?

Dawn
19-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I was sat behind a Ferrari at the traffic lights by Wentworth golf course once. Oooh it sounded purty just sitting there. And when the lights changed it just thrummed into life. What an awesome sound.

Slowhand
19-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, were you stuck in second gear Mick? :lol:

ukwdwnut
19-08-2008, 05:12 PM

on the way to teresa's ;) :lol:

I was sat behind a Ferrari at the traffic lights by Wentworth golf course once. Oooh it sounded purty just sitting there. And when the lights changed it just thrummed into life. What an awesome sound.

nowhere near as good as the sound of an aston martin dawn....sex on wheels they are lol

Yeah, were you stuck in second gear Mick? :lol:

nah could only get up to 85 in second :lol:

Claire
19-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Mick is the Stig!

Britchick
19-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Mick is the Stig!

omg :lol: pmsl :lol: tena moment:lol:

i saw an aston martin today!!

ukwdwnut
19-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Mick is the Stig!

ive always wanted to go to brands for a track day :D

omg :lol: pmsl :lol: tena moment:lol:

i saw an aston martin today!!

i see them virtually every day here ;)

Slowhand
19-08-2008, 08:33 PM
nowhere near as good as the sound of an aston martin dawn....sex on wheels they are lol
I agree with that Mick.
I was invited to an Aston Martin arrive and drive day by their dealers in Cheshire a few weeks ago. Started off in a V8 [the cheap entry level model which had a price tag of only 90K!:shocked025:] and progressed up the ladder to a DBS...very nice,but then again it should be at 174K!!!
My friend [one of the sales managers] told me that many of their customers ask the dealers to remove "fuse 20" from the system before they take delivery of their car. Apparently this fuse allows a blast damper to be permanently open in the exhaust [it normally only opens at around 2,500 rpm] so they get that throaty roar from the exhaust all of the time.
It`s nice to dream innit?

ukwdwnut
19-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I agree with that Mick.
I was invited to an Aston Martin arrive and drive day by their dealers in Cheshire a few weeks ago. Started off in a V8 [the cheap entry level model which had a price tag of only 90K!:shocked025:] and progressed up the ladder to a DBS...very nice,but then again it should be at 174K!!!
My friend [one of the sales managers] told me that many of their customers ask the dealers to remove "fuse 20" from the system before they take delivery of their car. Apparently this fuse allows a blast damper to be permanently open in the exhaust [it normally only opens at around 2,500 rpm] so they get that throaty roar from the exhaust all of the time.
It`s nice to dream innit?

they are my dream car, the best looking car ever made i think, drool drool

when i worked in MK for a wek, we used to see them wheeling the engines over the road to the body shop, the factory used to look like an old army air raid shelter lol

the head mistress's hubby at my school just took delivery of his new one a few months back he went to the factory to pick it up i believe. those exhausts ar especially tuned to give that roar arent they

a few years back i looked into hiring a db7 for a long weekend, at a cost of 1200 with a 3k deposit :eek: would still love to do it :D

yep defo a pipe dream that ;) :lol:

Dawn
20-08-2008, 07:21 AM
I'll be driving past an Aston dealer today. My parents live near all the cool car dealers. :D

Johnie
20-08-2008, 07:18 PM
What is a MOT? We have a yearly state inspection here. I had to do mine in June and instead of $15 for the inspection, it was closer to $600 for all the other stuff I needed done.

Slowhand
21-08-2008, 09:06 AM
What is a MOT? We have a yearly state inspection here. I had to do mine in June and instead of $15 for the inspection, it was closer to $600 for all the other stuff I needed done.
It`s the same over here Johnie. An MOT test is an annual inspection of road worthiness for vehicles that are over 3 years old.

Johnie
21-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the explanation. State inspections vary per state. We have to have one every year regardless of the age of the car. West Virginia doesn't have to have an inspection ever. I think Delaware has to have one over a certain age as well. Nothing is uniform over here.