PDA

View Full Version : Gun found at animal kingdom

robertcraig
29-05-2013, 08:04 PM
A loaded gun was found on a ride at ANIMAL KINGDOM IT HAD FALLEN OUT OF SOMEONES POCKET SCARY STUFF

Tishypops
29-05-2013, 08:10 PM
A loaded gun was found on a ride at ANIMAL KINGDOM IT HAD FALLEN OUT OF SOMEONES POCKET SCARY STUFF

No words I can (politely) put on here can truly reflect my shock at this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Britchick
29-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Just shows what a joke the security checks are if it's true!

Oreo
29-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Apparently it was an off duty cop who lost his gun.

He has all the permits etc and he 'didn't know' you couldn't take guns into the park.

Tishypops
29-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Apparently it was an off duty cop who lost his gun.

He has all the permits etc and he 'didn't know' you couldn't take guns into the park.

There are so many things wrong with that.
A) losing a gun not the greatest thing to do
B) why would you feel you needed a gun at Disney world
C) why would you assume you WOULD be allowed to carry it
D) how was this missed by security

Johnie
29-05-2013, 08:37 PM
If it was in his pocket or on his person that is how security missed it.

The fact that he left it on a ride is mind boggling.

If he is a police officer, I would expect him to be safer and to know where he could have his weapon.

Britchick
29-05-2013, 08:38 PM
The rights and wrongs of being able to carry guns is one thing, even though I don't agree with it I respect that other countries do things differently. However, you allegedly lose your gun in a Disney park you lose your right to carry a gun...end of! What an idiot!

Tishypops
29-05-2013, 08:38 PM
I thought they had metal detectors at all security points

Johnie
29-05-2013, 08:44 PM
There are no metal detectors at Disney. They do a cursory bag check.

With this incident and the dry ice bomb at DL yesterday, I see changes coming.

Tishypops
29-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I thought I had read a few years ago of them bringing them in.
I am surprised they have not changed their security before now

robertcraig
29-05-2013, 08:51 PM
There are no metal detectors at Disney. They do a cursory bag check.

With this incident and the dry ice bomb at DL yesterday, I see changes coming.

I wouldn't be surprised that airport type screening would be introduced and why would anyone think it was ok to take a gunn to WDW especialy a cop

Tishypops
29-05-2013, 08:57 PM
I have always felt very safe whilst in Disney world but (and I know it is completely unrelated and a bit weird) since what happened in London last week I just don't feel as safe. If somebody just walking down a London street can be attacked then it feels like it an happen anywhere. I didn't feel this worried about security after 9/11 or the 7/7 London bombs but this has really hit home with me for some reason. Maybe it is because I have children now and maybe it is because there just seems to be an endless list of incidents everyday in places I would normally not expect to be targets for things but it has really unsettled me and I would welcome any security procedures they want to put in place.

Oreo
29-05-2013, 09:01 PM
My fox Orlando have updated the story since I read it earlier and have removed the bit about it being an off duty cop.

Here is the story:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) - A Walt Disney World patron on a ride with her grandson found a loaded gun on her seat.
Officials said Wednesday that the woman found the automatic gun on the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom. The woman gave the loaded gun to a park attendant who then contacted her manager and authorities.
The owner of the gun, Angelo Lista, told authorities he discovered his gun was missing several minutes after leaving the ride. He has a concealed weapons permit.
Lista told authorities he didn't know Disney World patrons weren't allowed to bring guns. He said he thought the security checkpoint at the entrance to the park was only so guards could check bags for bombs or explosives.
Disney World prohibits patrons from bringing weapons of any kind on its property.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/22450225/disney-world-patron-finds-gun-on-ride#ixzz2UiYDNbna

Tink
30-05-2013, 12:35 AM
OK, this reveals some serious "holes" in Disney's so called security.

First, Disney can't search bodies. So, anything you have on your body goes into the park. At no point of entry is it clearly posted that weapons of any kind are not allowed in WDW. Seems obvious, but it needs to be posted.

Second, the gun was legal for this person to have on his person in this area. That he was careless enough to lose it speaks volumes, but if stupidity kept people from legally owning weapons, there wouldn't be much of a problem with guns in the US.

Third, Disney does not check for any type of weapon or any other item at resorts, or DTD, or when getting on the monorail in EPCOT or TTC. (No security in those places).

The "bomb" was dry ice placed in the trash by a CM who is now in serious trouble.

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 06:43 AM
I don't know why I have never thought how gun laws could affect WDW. This has really troubled me, how many people have taken a weapon and not been found out? I really do not like the idea of my children in a place where anyone could be carrying a gun, what's even more troubling is now people know weapons can enter the parks undetected people who do have not so good intensions will have realised this too. Disney need to act fast to change its security policy or a lot of people will be wary about travelling

Britchick
30-05-2013, 07:31 AM
I don't know why I have never thought how gun laws could affect WDW. This has really troubled me, how many people have taken a weapon and not been found out? I really do not like the idea of my children in a place where anyone could be carrying a gun, what's even more troubling is now people know weapons can enter the parks undetected people who do have not so good intensions will have realised this too. Disney need to act fast to change its security policy or a lot of people will be wary about travelling

But that could be the case anywhere in the US :shrug1:

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 07:39 AM
I don't travel anywhere else in the US with the children.
I think because I was so shocked that someone felt the need to take a gun into a park that it has made me have a more extreme reaction. I can't get my head around why people feel they need guns in their home or need to carry them but that is a whole other conversation and I know a lot of people don't agree with me so I won't say anymore. I do hope that people agree that WDW is not a place for guns though whether it be in a park or at your hotel

Wendy
30-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Well, if he is a police officer then I think he should be reprimanded and suspended severely for his stupidity and carelessness.

Disney are obviously going to be looking at security after both events yesterday, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I understand how you feel Trish, it is scary and the tragedy in Woowich affected me as well, so much so that I'm talking to the television a lot when the news is on :redface:

I think that WDW is still a safe place, the reason this has hit the headlines is because it is so unusual. Try not to worry too much and let it spoil planning your holiday :hug2:

Oreo
30-05-2013, 09:15 AM
We have guns in the UK, we also have nutters with butchers knifes. Yes we have a lot less guns than the US but the way I see it is that you're just as likely to be attacked walking the streets here as you are in the states.

Although I don't agree with the right to bear arms stuff, it is law over there so it probably pays to be a little cautious.

I just think stuff like this gets blown way out of context and while it is worrying that this man has got through security with a gun, at the same time it is impossible to be 100% accurate 100% of the time.

Saying all of that I do feel Disney do need to invest in body scanners however I imagine there will be a lot of problems with 'human rights' issues just like there were with the scanners at Birmingham airport a few years ago.

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 09:25 AM
I don't think they need to go as extreme as body scanners, a simple wand metal detector would suffice, they have them going into sport events and some concerts why not here too.
I don't want to get into the Debate about gun law because that is their law and we are entering their country so that is how it is what concerns me is this was a complete accident and the chances of it happening again are remote but if it were my children that found that gun in that ride they would have presumed it was a toy. They have never seen a real gun (actually neither have I) they probably would have picked it up and maybe pretended to shoot. This was a random accident born out if someone exercising their legal right to bare arms. They had a permit to carry the gun and claim they didn't see anything wrong with taking it into the park. How many other people have done this over the years? Yes we have been lucky in that this is the first (reported) case that it has gone missing but if there are not the security procedures in place to stop items like this getting in then accidents can and will happen

Britchick
30-05-2013, 09:41 AM
i think generally Disney do a good job of keeping the parks safe, you'll always get people that can bypass security measures whatever you do. It's one of the safest places to be i would say. Maybe the ticket prices or it's a small world put people off!

Oreo
30-05-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't think they need to go as extreme as body scanners, a simple wand metal detector would suffice, they have them going into sport events and some concerts why not here too.
I don't want to get into the Debate about gun law because that is their law and we are entering their country so that is how it is what concerns me is this was a complete accident and the chances of it happening again are remote but if it were my children that found that gun in that ride they would have presumed it was a toy. They have never seen a real gun (actually neither have I) they probably would have picked it up and maybe pretended to shoot. This was a random accident born out if someone exercising their legal right to bare arms. They had a permit to carry the gun and claim they didn't see anything wrong with taking it into the park. How many other people have done this over the years? Yes we have been lucky in that this is the first (reported) case that it has gone missing but if there are not the security procedures in place to stop items like this getting in then accidents can and will happen

I agree with pretty much everything there.

However, surely walk through scanners would be a lot easier and quicker than the hand held devices?

People could just walk through them and it wouldn't need to slow there day down any more than a general bag check would.

If you introduce a hand held system you require a lot more staff, and queues start to form.

I am just thinking from a logistical point of view here.

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I agree with pretty much everything there.

However, surely walk through scanners would be a lot easier and quicker than the hand held devices?

People could just walk through them and it wouldn't need to slow there day down any more than a general bag check would.

If you introduce a hand held system you require a lot more staff, and queues start to form.

I am just thinking from a logistical point of view here.

But at least then you would get around the whole human rights issue. Personally I would not have any problem with what ever security procedures they want to bring in just like I had no problems when they changed things at the airport, I would rather have 2 minutes of inconvenience and know I was safe but there are always people out there that would object.

Oreo
30-05-2013, 09:54 AM
I would rather have 2 minutes of inconvenience and know I was safe but there are always people out there that would object.

Totally agree! I have nothing to hide so I am happy.

I think whatever happens Disney will sort the parks.

My concern is more open places like Downtown Disney or the Water Parks.
At least at somewhere like Universal's City Walk, they check all guests as soon as they're out of the parking area. You don't get this at Downtown Disney and is probably something they are looking at, or at least hope they are!

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Totally agree! I have nothing to hide so I am happy.

I think whatever happens Disney will sort the parks.

My concern is more open places like Downtown Disney or the Water Parks.
At least at somewhere like Universal's City Walk, they check all guests as soon as they're out of the parking area. You don't get this at Downtown Disney and is probably something they are looking at, or at least hope they are!

I have actually sent Disney an email asking about this (information for me but also travel is my job and I am sure I am going to get questions about it) I have said universal studios have metal detectors in place and I questioned if they were going to go down the same line

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 09:59 AM
I have also messages our companies Disney rep to get her feedback

Oreo
30-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I have actually sent Disney an email asking about this (information for me but also travel is my job and I am sure I am going to get questions about it) I have said universal studios have metal detectors in place and I questioned if they were going to go down the same line

It will be interesting to hear what Disney have to say over the next few weeks regarding improving security.

Do you think it'll have an effect on some of those thinking about booking a Disney holiday?

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I think we will get people calling who have already booked concerned about things, don't forget gun law is quite puzzling to the majority of people over here and it is only in recent years that we have really found out about it as regards to people being able to carry concealed weapons so on the most part people will have reservations when they actually learn that in the state if Florida it is legal (with a permit obviously) to carry a weapon and then with this knowledge to realise that Disney have no checks I am expecting calls from people. I think we might see bookings for next year slow down a little bit (although I have seen no news reports regarding this incident on our news so it will only be people that have seen it online) but I think once Disney make a statement and pledge to improve security as u am sure they will people will be reassured

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Ok I have had a response from disney

This is my first email to them
------------------------
Good Morning
After reading reports that a gun has been found on a ride within Animal
Kingdom I was wondering if you have any plans to change your security
procedures.
As you can imagine I am extremely nervous as like the majority of people
I am going to be bringing my children with us when we visit your parks
in September of this year. As we are from the UK neither myself nor my
children have ever seen a gun before and the thought that people are
able to carry them unchecked into a park (as long as they are on their
person and not in their bag) seems very wrong as if they were to
discover one they would simply think it was a toy and this is as we have
seen in the past when serious accidents can happen.
We come to Disney because we feel that it is a safe environment and this
revelation (although I know this is an isolated incident it points to
something which could potentially be a wider previously unknown
problem)has really made me question how safe we are.
I understand at Universal studios they have metal detectors which people
walk through, I thought you had something similar but after reading this
report I have found out this is not the case.
I understand that this is a very recent incident and that investigations
will still be ongoing but I was wondering if there are any immediate
plans in place to help with this very alarming issue.

Kind Regards

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Their response -
On Thursday, May 30, 2013, Walt Disney World Guest Mail wrote:

Dear Trish ,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort. We sincerely
appreciate you choosing Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort for your vacation in
September, 2013.

We continually review our safety and security measures and focus on
improvement in procedures and use of new technologies as they become
available. However, we do not discuss the details of our security
measures because to do so would compromise their effect.

We understand your concerns regarding you and your family's safety, and
would like to offer you some information regarding our policy.

It may interest you to know we have a strict policy regarding firearms.
Our policy is that no guns are permitted in our Theme Parks or Resorts.
If a resort guest brings one on property, it must be locked up in the
safe deposit boxes at the front desk, not in a room safe. If guests
visiting our Theme Parks bring in firearms, it must either be left in
their vehicle, or checked in with security when entering the park.

Only on-duty law enforcement officers whose agency has jurisdiction at
the Walt Disney World Resort may carry any weapon.

We look forward to your visit!

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Sincerely,

Jonebia Hylton
WDW Online Communications

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and
should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 11:44 AM
To which I have responded with

Thank you for your quick response.

I understand Disney have a policy stating no weapons but unfortunately a policy does not stop people from entering a park with a weapon concealed on their person. This is what concerns me. As I previously said universal have metal detectors in place to prevent incidents like this happening either intentianaly or accidentally as this case was reported to be.
I am surprised that Disney who I must say has an excellent security team and they do an amazing job have not brought this into effect before now especially with different incidents that have happened in recent years where firearms have been used both intentianaly to harm or by accident and have resulted in tragic outcomes.
I feel and I believe almost all of your patrons would agree with me that more steps must be taken by Disney to prevent this happening again.
Like many other concerned families from all over the world I will be watching disneys response to this incident closely over the coming weeks in hope that you take appropriate action to keep your guests safe.

Kind regards
Trish

Johnie
30-05-2013, 02:05 PM
I certainly understand your concern Trish but I don't think you are going to get more from Disney than that.

Britchick
30-05-2013, 02:33 PM
I don't ever remember seeing any signs stating no fire arms or anything in the resorts either. I never even thought about it before though to be honest.

Slowhand
30-05-2013, 02:55 PM
This is just plain crazy, but in a way I reckon that the news should not have been made public.
It just opens the door for any nutter to conceal a weapon in his pocket with the prior knowledge that he/she would be likely to get away with it.

What a World we live in. :sorry:

Tishypops
30-05-2013, 03:09 PM
It just opens the door for any nutter to conceal a weapon in his pocket with the prior knowledge that he/she would be likely to get away with it.

What a World we live in. :sorry:

That was another one of my concerns.

It just feels like Disney are not taking this seriously at all. They asked the man to leave the park (the same action sea world has when someone is caught cutting in line) but was able to come back the next day. A member of the public found the gun he lost and picked it up, what if that was a child, what if they thought it was a toy and it went off? I think disney need to take a big step back and think about whether they think their response to this was appropriate.

Johnie
30-05-2013, 10:10 PM
It's not like Disney can arrest the man. It is legal for him to have a concealed weapon (he has a permit) however Disney is private property and they say no. Private property trumps in this case. But the man did nothing that was illegal in the eyes of the law. Yes, he exhibited extremely poor judgement but what else is Disney supposed to do? Ban him from the parks? Seriously you have no idea what a fire storm that would cause in this country.

AND Disney security wouldn't have been able to stop him from going in. His weapon was concealed on his person. He didn't have it in any sort of bag.
I'm very sorry that you are upset about this but I don't know what else Disney can do. I imagine we will be seeing metal detectors and the like in the future.

keith
30-05-2013, 11:14 PM
It's a very complex and emotional subject isn't it.

I still feel safe at WDW but the so called security checks have ZERO to do with that, I've ALWAYS considered them ineffective and just a waste of time.

If you're going to do security, you either do it 100% and have metal detectors/body scanners or you don't bother. Searching bags will catch the people who pack a glass bottle of lemonade but someone intent on hurting someone is going to laugh at it and carry in their weapons :(

I was once told that security you see at Disney is nothing compared to the security people who walk around in plain clothes. I've no way of knowing if that's true or not, but I hope it is. I'd put more faith in that than the silly bag searches.

I don't know that I want to go to a Disney where I have to go through airport style security and you know what? I think if we DID do that then the terrorists will have won. They will have changed our lifestyle to the point where we're all living in fear and paranoia.

So I'll say the heck with it. Get rid of the bag searches, no scanners, sensible precautions like pain clothed security for sure, but that's it. That policeman wasn't going to shoot anyone and let's face it, he's only one of thousands who must carry their weapons off duty and go round Disney, we never know about it because they don't make a mistake.

Would any of the suggestions, EVEN scanners, stop a serious terrorist. I'm sorry to say it but I just don't think so :( so we either live in terror, which is what they want, or we say no way.

As it is right now, all the bag searches do is inconvenience 100% of the guests for, as we've seen, no benefit.

Johnie
31-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Completely agreed Keith. One who has evil intentions will find a way. The way we can fight back is to go about our lives without fear.

Suebeattie
31-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Completely agreed Keith. One who has evil intentions will find a way. The way we can fight back is to go about our lives without fear.

I agree with both of you. If someone wabts to do something within wdw they will find a way around security checks and the like.
Im the sort of person that will think about the worse situation for a few minutes but I then go back to enjoying myself. If you worried all the time you would end up being someone that didnt leave their house let alone travel.
It does concern me a little bit that someone felt the need to take a gun into wdw to start with but if the worse did happen and there was a crazed lunatic running around and that person was able to stop him using that gun it would have been a good thing he was able to take his gun in.
I hope they are able to find a way to make guests feel safe but at the same time I dont want to spend a proportion of my day going through checks. :eek:

:wiggle:

Tink
01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
I remember being a kid and seeing a documentary type show on television about living in North Ireland decades ago. There were searches to just to go a shopping area. I remember thinking how very sad that must be, but it was the height of the IRA actions and no one felt safe.

I think we are close to that today. We don't have searches or metal detectors for many, many areas where mass crowds congregate. City streets for a simple example. Walking down 7th to go to Wolf's Deli is an exercise in being among a huge crowd.

Disney does what it does for whatever reasons. If we are concerned about being in a huge crowd, then we have a personal ability to adjust our lives to that concern. Flying has the pseudo appearance of being safe. It's no more safe now than it was pre-9/11. That's been demonstrated with any number of data driven analyses of the system. Yet, we fly.

Firearms are unfortunately a part of the American "culture." Do I like it? No. Have I owned firearms? Yes. Do I know how to shoot? Yes. My Da' taught me eons ago. Did I once have a permit to carry a concealed weapon? Yes. And let me tell you, that was not an easy thing to obtain in NY State. I truly enjoy target shooting and was even going to consider skeet shooting at one time, but never got that far. It never crossed my mind to "hunt," or to have those weapons for "self defense." They were locked in one cabinet with any ammunition (I didn't keep much, I bought it as I needed it for target shooting) locked in a completely different area. I firmly believe that having a weapon in a dangerous situation puts you more at risk than it does to keep you safe. Whatever you have on you can be taken from you and used against you. That is one of the many reasons corrections officers don't wear firearms.

All that to say, I fully respect firearms of all kinds. I do not believe for any reason that an assault weapon should be owned by a member of the "public." They have no purpose in civilian untrained hands. I don't even believe that semi-automatic weapons belong in the hands of the public.

I know that the American "fascination" with "guns" is something odd to most non-American cultures (of European descent) but it doesn't change the fact that they are here.

All that to say, I'm not going to devote myself to fear and worry. When in any public place I do find myself on what I used to term "city alert." When in NYC you have a different level of alertness for your surroundings than when you do strolling out to your mailbox. I use that same level of alertness now in airports, shopping centers, Disney, heck... Publix. It's a fact of life and I prefer to live my life rather than fear life.

I wish for all people, safety and peace. Until we get there, it's the individual's responsibility to make determinations of how s/he will provide that for her/himself.

Tishypops
01-06-2013, 10:22 AM
I think I have got past my initial reaction when I first read this story.
I disagree with what you said about flying being no more safe now, I know many members of cabin crew for several airlines (due to me working within the industry) and also know many people who work across all departments in Manchester airport (due to growing up pretty much at the end of the runway) and I can say that the level of security training has gone up dramatically over the past 10 years. People are removed from flights much earlier at signs of trouble and baggage is checked much rigorously.
I think a great example is what happened here only 2 weeks ago where there was trouble on an incoming flight and they had the procedures in place, typhoon jets were immediately called in and they escorted the flight to its diverted location where authorities waited for it.
What makes me sad is that I know that in the back if my mind I am going to be slightly more alert to the people around me whilst at WDW which I never previously have. It won't stop me going but it has lost some of the innocence it had in my eyes.

Tink
01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Ah yes, now. Innocence lost is a whole different matter. I agree, it was wonderful to have a place to be where you simply didn't have to worry about a thing. Unfortunately, I don't believe that place exists anywhere any longer. :(

Johnie
02-06-2013, 02:51 AM
As a woman, I am always aware of my surroundings. I don't live in fear by any means but I am aware. That being said, I see a shocking number of people who seem to let down their guard and are absolutely reckless with their personal safety and that of their children just because they are in Disney.

BUTTERHEAD1
02-06-2013, 03:47 AM
I really hate getting involved in political debates because everyone thinks that their view is correct and the other side is dead wrong, I happen to respect both sides of the gun debate that is currently a hot topic here in the US. As some of you may or may not know I am a NYPD detective and I carry a firearm. Years ago I would almost never carry my gun when I was not working because when I was off duty I wanted to be OFF DUTY. However a lot has changed the last few years especially here in this city and I would hate to be in a position where I would need my gun and not have it, so I find myself carrying a lot more than I used to especially when I am out with my kids. I ride the subways everyday. I often go to Central Park and Times square with my kids and these locations are prime targets for terrorist acts and the everyday criminal. Life here in the US has changed dramatically since 9/11 and the sense of being safe has been taken away so I dont judge those who feel the need to bring a legal weapon with them wherever they feel the need to I just hope that they are a lot more responsible than the person who left their gun on a Disney ride. With that said I have never brought a gun with me to Florida although I have been tempted to do so because we pull off I-95 to gas up in places that I have no idea if they are safe or not, fortunately nothing bad has happened so far.

Watchinherskip
05-06-2013, 05:35 PM

As far back as about three years ago, wand metal detectors were being used at the entry to Kings Dominion theme park in Virginia. The thing is, it makes you think, hmmmm do I really want to go to a place that feels the need to metal scan? Well that is what we felt. I can't remember them doing it at Busch Gardens here in VA but I guess that theme parks are considered soft targets for illegal actions.

Johnie
05-06-2013, 06:55 PM
As far back as about three years ago, wand metal detectors were being used at the entry to Kings Dominion theme park in Virginia. The thing is, it makes you think, hmmmm do I really want to go to a place that feels the need to metal scan? Well that is what we felt. I can't remember them doing it at Busch Gardens here in VA but I guess that theme parks are considered soft targets for illegal actions.

KD is reported to have a lot of gang activity. I have not been to KD since Alysia was 5 or 6. We go to Busch Gardens.

Mari
05-06-2013, 07:11 PM
That's so scary :(

I think security checks are just for show.

Seriously.. they make mothers take everything out of diapers bags/strollers... but dont check ANYONE without a bag? Just makes no sense

Shellyamc
05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
I really hate getting involved in political debates because everyone thinks that their view is correct and the other side is dead wrong, I happen to respect both sides of the gun debate that is currently a hot topic here in the US. As some of you may or may not know I am a NYPD detective and I carry a firearm. Years ago I would almost never carry my gun when I was not working because when I was off duty I wanted to be OFF DUTY. However a lot has changed the last few years especially here in this city and I would hate to be in a position where I would need my gun and not have it, so I find myself carrying a lot more than I used to especially when I am out with my kids. I ride the subways everyday. I often go to Central Park and Times square with my kids and these locations are prime targets for terrorist acts and the everyday criminal. Life here in the US has changed dramatically since 9/11 and the sense of being safe has been taken away so I dont judge those who feel the need to bring a legal weapon with them wherever they feel the need to I just hope that they are a lot more responsible than the person who left their gun on a Disney ride. With that said I have never brought a gun with me to Florida although I have been tempted to do so because we pull off I-95 to gas up in places that I have no idea if they are safe or not, fortunately nothing bad has happened so far.

When I was in high school we used to go down to NYC all the time! At least twice a month and we never really thought anything of it. We would see a show and then head back to the train station and come home. I took Katie to the city this past weekend with a friend and her daughter and - wow - was Time Square a different world!! People were on you every other second trying to get you to pay for pictures, sell you something, try to get to you take a tour..it was beyond crazy!! I remember there being people selling stuff on the streets, but it is way past that now. I hate to say it, but I totally understand why you would carry your gun in places like that. Being that you are trained how to use it, you could easily save yourself or someone else. Saying I was on "high alert" would be a joke, poor Katie couldn't breath without me saying so.

I guess we really have made a different world for our kids. I just don't know if it is a better one..

Tishypops
05-06-2013, 08:16 PM
That's so scary :(

I think security checks are just for show.

Seriously.. they make mothers take everything out of diapers bags/strollers... but dont check ANYONE without a bag? Just makes no sense

Agree!