PDA

View Full Version : Lower the age to allow drinking alcohol?

eeyoreguy
20-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I was surprised to find out that you have to be 21 in the states to drink. Seems crazy :confused: 18 to vote, serve in the military but 21 to have a glass of wine.

I was watching a US news channel and they say theres a move to get it lowered, what do you think?

Tink
20-08-2008, 10:36 AM
It was 18 when I was in high school. It was lowered for those very reasons, military service, etc.

Then, so very many under 21 year olds were involved with drunk driving arrests, accidents, and deaths that they returned legal drinking age to 21 again.

I don't really mind either way. I'm not a huge fan of drunkeness at any age. :lol:

UKTim
20-08-2008, 11:06 AM
it was a pain when we were over and couldnt drink, I think it should be lowered. students will drink in private anyway if they cant in a bar

uscwest
20-08-2008, 11:12 AM
When I was 18 it was illegal to drink in the state of Virginia where I grew up. But I went to NY that summer and was able to buy beer. I went in the military at the age of 19 and couldn't legally drink in Illinois where I was stationed. By the time I got back from Germany, at the age of 24 the age had been raised to 21.

So from that point of view I am a firm believer that if I am old enough to fight for and die for my country then I am old enough to drink responsibly.

keith
20-08-2008, 11:13 AM
So from that point of view I am a firm believer that if I am old enough to fight for and die for my country then I am old enough to drink responsibly.

Yes, I really have to agree with that :yes:

Dawn
20-08-2008, 11:50 AM
But it's the "responsibly" where the issues arise.

US student that came over to my uni found that not only could they legally buy beer but also that our beer is a lot stronger on the whole that typical US draft. Saw some right sights I can tell you. :eek:

Taja
20-08-2008, 12:34 PM
This has been debated longer than I have been alive! :lol:

The legal drinking age was raised to 21 consistently throughout the US before I entered university. Frankly, I preferred it that way. I'm not a fan of being around those who drink simply to get drunk--at any age! And many 18 year olds don't have much common sense--or they didn't when I was young! :)

Drinking responsibly as part of a social occasion is fine--it certainly can enhance the experience. The key is "responsibly." :)

Dismounting my soapbox now. :lol:

Tink
20-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I thought you grew up in Vermont, John. :unsure:

I think part of the desire to control drinking in the US is in the roots of the invasion by the white man. :D :lol: Puritans, highly religious folks, ect. Temperance, prohibition, we have a long history of alcohol related issues. Bringing alcohol to the Indigenous Peoples of the US was not a favor and did much to damage their society.

I don't know the answer. I know that being old enough to fight for one's country is not an indicator of maturity. :) I've seen that ofen enough! Care to be around a bunch of Seabees when they are at a party? :eek: Drink is what they do, to staggering (literally) amounts. I'm sure the same can be said for many other military factions. :yes:

I think perhaps the focus should be on the problems that arise from drinking to excess in public. Driving, fighting, other acts of poor judgment... Allow the drinking but legally enforce consequences, I don't know. :shrug:

SleepinCatz
20-08-2008, 01:27 PM
John on your end I agree. If you are in the military then you should be allowed the right to drink if you wish. In that area it should be allowed by military ID only if you are under 21. I do not believe that should be extended to all 18 yr olds. I also say if you come from a country that allows at 18 then your passport should be proof and you should be allowed. BUT the first time either one, passport holder or Military ID screw up and get into some sort of trouble while under the influence...the right should be removed from that person. I think opening it up blanketwise would be a mistake at this point. Those kids are under enormous pressure...and that mixed with booze is bad juu juu. I was one of the ones that grew up with the 18 age as legal....I saw way too many of my friends die by both thier own bad judgement and the bad judgement of others.....

Tink
20-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh good heavens yes. I remember too many kids dying of alcohol poisoning. Not something you hear too much about now, but it sure seemed prevalent in the 70's.

PsychoAlice
20-08-2008, 01:35 PM
If they got rid of alcohol all together Id be ok with that....if there is nothing to argue over then problem solved..

Tink
20-08-2008, 01:36 PM
LOL! They tried that already. Prohibition was a miserable failure.

PsychoAlice
20-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I meant at Disney

Tink
20-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Oh, well that would be different all together. Then of course you'd have folks sneaking it in. :sigh;

We were "accused" of that one time at the MK when we both had huge bottles of water with us. They are in carriers with icepacks so you can't see the contents. One of the security guards made a comment and I took him right up on it. I popped the cap and stuck it under his nose and said, "See? Water as I said. I'm not in the habit of lying." He had the good grace (sense?) to apologize, but it did cause me to wonder how often people must be sneaking alcohol in there for him to make the comments he did. :shrug:

I think you would hear a huge protest from the folks who like wine with their dinner (in parks) if you removed alcohol all together.

uscwest
20-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I thought you grew up in Vermont, John. :unsure:

Nope, born there, but on 22 February 1952, just before my 4th birthday we moved to VA where my dad had found a job with what was then Capital Airlines (later absorbed by United). My Grampy Bill and Uncle Jack moved us down in an old wood panel truck (mom and I as dad was already in VA). That was the last time I saw Grampy alive as he died the following November.

Tink
20-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh. :hug2: I'm sorry. :( It's hard to lose someone so important when you are so young yourself. :(

Britchick
20-08-2008, 05:20 PM
with the disgusting displays of drunkeness in this country nowadays an over 21 limit wouldn't bother me one bit.

went to an outdoor concert on friday, arrived around 5.30pm, there were college age kids there completely plastered at that time. They were causing such a nuisance, i know i have been pickled at time but not to that extent. :mad:

Johnie
20-08-2008, 05:20 PM
For some reason, I thought that those under 21 could drink alcohol ON BASE. I could be wrong, won't be the first or last time :lol:

I think it should be a uniform age. If you are responsible enough to vote and serve your country, you should be responsible enough to drink. However, I think the car rental agencies have it right with their age limit of 25. Studies have shown that one's brain does not stop developing until that age. So, I'm all for raising the age limit for all of those things.

SleepinCatz
20-08-2008, 05:29 PM
now see...that's a brilliant idea Johnie!

Tink
20-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Then we shouldn't be putting weapons or alcohol into the hands of young people who do not have fully developed brains. :( I'm serious.

Johnie
20-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I completely agree.

Rosie0610
20-08-2008, 06:36 PM
But, the young ones need to get military training at a young age while they still can learn and help our country. I wouldn't want our military waiting to enter until 25.

I don't know what I'm for. I can see both sides of the debate. I guess I'm for tightening the regulations for selling/providing/allowing/finding alcohol in/to minors. Bars and stores and parties should be more closely watched and more reprimands handed out for disobeying the law.

Taja
20-08-2008, 10:20 PM
For some reason, I thought that those under 21 could drink alcohol ON BASE. I could be wrong, won't be the first or last time :lol:

I think it should be a uniform age. If you are responsible enough to vote and serve your country, you should be responsible enough to drink. However, I think the car rental agencies have it right with their age limit of 25. Studies have shown that one's brain does not stop developing until that age. So, I'm all for raising the age limit for all of those things.

Then we shouldn't be putting weapons or alcohol into the hands of young people who do not have fully developed brains. :( I'm serious.

I like the age 25 idea. I think the origination of the draft or military registration at age 18 is a carry-over from non-computer days. If the government didn't nab out young people while they were in high school, they probably never would find them! Particularly during Vietnam!

Tink
20-08-2008, 10:51 PM
It might also work to stop our military (at least some factions) for becoming dumping grounds for people who have broken the law. All too often they will be sent to the Military instead of jail. Not exactly a great idea. I know the Army has had a real problem with this.

It would also keep kids from dropping out of school to enter the military (again, that isn't allowed as much but it still happens).

I believe that we should all do some form of national (or even global as an alternative) service, but I don't believe we should be doing it before we have all the capabilities possible for good decision making.

Johnie
20-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I live about 2 miles from Fort Lee (an army base). They are always taking cabs to the mall. I swear they all look to be about 12! They are soooo young.

Beccaberry
21-08-2008, 02:07 AM
So then, in the course of a day we've voted to raise the drinking/voting/enlisting age to 25? Excellent.

Can I just ask if we could add driving to that list as well? (says the person about to have a 16 year old son in her home...)

Johnie
21-08-2008, 02:16 AM
As one who is well on this side of 16, I say sure! Of course, I do beleive that 16 is far too young to drive. 17 seems more appropriate.

Tink
21-08-2008, 02:47 AM
21 seems more appropriate! :lol:

And as long as we are at it, recreating the world in our own "image" how about we raise the age for legal marriages to oh, say 35? :D Oh! And NO children until you are at least 36! :D

There, that ought to take care of all sorts of little problems in this world. :wink: :lol:

Slowhand
21-08-2008, 08:47 AM
In a strange sort of way I reckon that the drinking age and military service are somehow related IMHO.
Here in the UK we have a big problem with kids getting way out of control and binge drinking/ drug taking etc. That`s not to say that when I was young that I was an angel, but things really have got out of hand over the past few years.

I seriously advocate bringing back National Service in order to install some discipline into those yobbo`s, and yes if they have to do military service at say 18, then by all means keep the legal age for drinking alcohol at that level. At least they would be supervised to some extent instead of being allowed to run wild.
I say this as someone who really wanted to be a member of the Royal Air Force when I was a lad but medical issues ruled this out in my case.

Britchick
21-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I seriously advocate bringing back National Service in order to install some discipline into those yobbo`s.

agree totally:p015:

Tink
21-08-2008, 10:49 AM
You make good points Slowhand, and one critical one. When someone is doing Military service there is an element that will provide oversight. I never saw it interfere with those Seabees drinking too much :wink: but it is there.

I firmly believe in National Service. Goodness if the Italians can do it... :D

I would include both genders, of course. The young women of today need as much direction and discipline as to the men.

PsychoAlice
21-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I would include both genders, of course. The young women of today need as much direction and discipline as to the men.

If not more....

keith
21-08-2008, 12:12 PM
I've been against national service but I think I have to reconsider :(

I'm working not far from where a father of two was beaten to death by a group of teens outside his house because he dared to go outside to try and stop them vandalising his wife's car.

The defences they offered were the usual cries of poverty, nothing to do and it's not the only case of this kind of thing, far from it!

although I hate the idea of national service, I do think we're raising people in a very materialistic society where everyone has the latest iphone, a car (unheard of when I was young) and if they don't they're angry!

I guess if it gave people a sense of self worth, discipline and heck maybe even a bit of national pride too, then perhaps it's the way to go

Taja
21-08-2008, 02:16 PM
I've been against national service but I think I have to reconsider :(

I'm working not far from where a father of two was beaten to death by a group of teens outside his house because he dared to go outside to try and stop them vandalising his wife's car.

The defences they offered were the usual cries of poverty, nothing to do and it's not the only case of this kind of thing, far from it!

although I hate the idea of national service, I do think we're raising people in a very materialistic society where everyone has the latest iphone, a car (unheard of when I was young) and if they don't they're angry!

I guess if it gave people a sense of self worth, discipline and heck maybe even a bit of national pride too, then perhaps it's the way to go

Realistically, national service could take forms other than military, although they should use the military model of basic training and discipline. There are a lot of community service organizations/projects that could use the minds and strength of our young people. The trade-off would be small payment (similar to military) and options for education/training while learning to work as a team in a well-supervised environment for three years or so.

keith
21-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Realistically, national service could take forms other than military, although they should use the military model of basic training and discipline. There are a lot of community service organizations/projects that could use the minds and strength of our young people. The trade-off would be small payment (similar to military) and options for education/training while learning to work as a team in a well-supervised environment for three years or so.

Good point Taja! Youre right, my mind went instantly to the military but yep, plenty of community based projects that could benefit

Johnie
21-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm for National Service. I agree it doesn't necessarily need to be military service in order to instill discipline and structure in people's lives. I see so many people in my line of work who have just lacked that. They turned to drugs/alcohol and have ruined their lives and here I am trying to help them put it back together. I think it would be a worthwhile endevour for lots of people.