PDA

View Full Version : One for the technology experts

Oreo
07-17-2013, 04:11 PM
I am in the process of backing up and sorting all my family photos.

The plan is to have a full set on my pc, one on an external hard drive and one in cloud storage for easy access.

What I would like to know is how do you organise your photos and what do you recommend the best way is to label them?

I want to be able to have an element of searchability.

I know it's not a tech forum but I know a lot of people here have many photos and guessed this maybe a good place to start :)

catrancher
07-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Hmm... I'm on a Mac so I use iPhoto (or Aperture) for all my photo cataloging needs. But on a Windows machine I'd probably use something like Windows Photo Gallery (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/photo-gallery#photogallery=overview) or the organizer features in something like Photoshop Elements (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/features.html#easily). They all let you set keywords, organize by photo location, and create "events". Some even include facial recognition so you can catalog all those "faces"! :D

Just a couple of thoughts. Hope it helps. :fingers:

Tom (:macwave:... not so organized himself.)

keith
07-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Firstly wow and great respect to you for doing that before something awful happens! too many people when asked say they'd grab their photos as their "one thing to save in a fire" yet leave all their digital photos on cards or computers. Hard drives ALWAYS die it's a certainty, only question is when.

So yes, I've the same thought as you. I have photos on my NAS drive organised by folders at the moment, backed up automatically to an external drive and recently to yahoo since they're now giving 1TB for free photo storage.

I store them in folders because historically there really wasn't much else I could do plus its easy and obvious but it doesnt REALLY help with searching. I'm hoping yahoo may help with that if I tag all the photos.

My folder structures are like:-

Events - Birthday - Personsname- date
-Christmas - date

Locations - Disney - date

of course you run into problems where it would be nice to have things in two or more categories and that's where tagging is useful :)

catrancher
07-17-2013, 06:18 PM
And I'm an idiot because I completely missed the point of this thread. :mental:

Sorry. :sorry:

Never mind what I said earlier. Except for the bits about tagging, geolocation, facial recognition, and events. Those are my tools for cataloging photos. As I think about it, I should probably keep everything up on Flickr since as Keith says, they're now giving you 1TB for free. I can sync my Flickr account with my various photo utilities and can still use a lot of the cataloging tools that I currently rely on.

That should help keep things safer. :fingers:

Tom (:macwave:... now I just have to actually do it!)

Oreo
07-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Ok I tried Flickr last night and I kept getting error messages when I uploaded.

So I tried Google Drive which gives you 15gb of cloud storage for free. You basically set it up so that anything in a specific folder is automatically saved to the cloud. It's really easy and no error messages.

So I have this automatically set up and also my external hard drive it seems a lot easier than individually creating sets on Flickr as Google drive keeps the structure the same.

Best of all there is an iphone app to acess it all. Brilliant!

Just got to decide how I title my photo's and organise them now! lol

Thanks for your help