PDA

View Full Version : Be Our Guest thumbs down

Isafari
25-07-2013, 10:53 AM
We had an ADR for dinner at.Be Our Guest yesterday although it wasn't necessary as the wait time for walk ins was only 10 minutes and there were plenty of empty tables inside. I had been looking forward to this for ages.

We boy decided on the potato and leek soup which was pretty tasty although the smallest serving of soup we've ever had. A thumbs up.

I chose the chicken dish and hubby chose the pork disk. The sauce that the chicken came in was disgusting with a strong fish smell and taste. I couldn't eat it at all. I ate the Luke warm potatoes that came with it. The pork was pink. One hubby can eat a fairly rare beef steak but he couldn't eat rare pork! And of course we stupidly couldn't bring ourselves to complain which is our own fault. We just expect chicken and pork to always be cooked well.

Waitress didn't even ask why we had left our meals. We decided enough was enough and opted out of dessert.

Eighty dollars for a tiny bowl of soup was an expensive mistake but at least we tried the restaurant. I know others have eaten here and enjoyed it. This was just our experience.

Slowhand
25-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I`m very sorry to hear about your bad experience at BOG Diane. :sorry:

My DW and I had dinner there on our recent trip and it was heaving. Several folks arrived at the podium expecting to just walk in while we were waiting to check in for our ADR and all of them were turned away.
Our experience was just the opposite to yours, although in my case I ordered the steak which I really enjoyed.

It did help though to be served by a CM who we requested on recommendation via Ricardo and she took really good care of us.

keith
25-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Loved it there I must admit and hoping to go back in December!

Must admit though, I always find that US restaurants default to cooking meats less well than I would like. I ALWAYS have to ask for a better done piece at liberty tree tavern etc (which they always bring)

uscwest
25-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Loved it there I must admit and hoping to go back in December!

Must admit though, I always find that US restaurants default to cooking meats less well than I would like. I ALWAYS have to ask for a better done piece at liberty tree tavern etc (which they always bring)

We will be eating there again in December. Now I am one of those that likes my steaks rare to medium-rare and I don't mind a bit of pink in my pork but if you order your steak or pork and you tell them you want it medium well or well done then by gosh it better come out that way or it is going back. I have never hesitated to send an overcooked piece of meat back and I certainly would not hesitate to send an undercooked piece back.

Vikki
25-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Which server do we want to be asking for then? ;)

Britchick
25-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Shame, I had the pork and it was slightly pink but I like that but if I hadn't I would have sent it back. Our server was lovely too

keith
25-07-2013, 10:26 PM
but if you order your steak or pork and you tell them you want it medium well or well done then by gosh it better come out that way or it is going back. I have never hesitated to send an overcooked piece of meat back and I certainly would not hesitate to send an undercooked piece back.

definitely! it should be done as requested and if not, it goes back.

It's something I do always tell my UK friends when they go to Orlando, default will be a little pink in the middle so if you don't want that, you need to be asking for medium-well or well (not just leaving them to decide or hoping medium wont have any pink)

I mentioned the liberty tree before, I was staggered when we first got a plate of beef I think it was from there and it was *REALLY* pink/red. We both sat there wondering if someone had asked for what we would consider rare, but looking around, everyone was getting similar. A quick word with the server and they came right back with what they called well done and I called UK medium or medium-well at best ;-)

Slowhand
26-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Which server do we want to be asking for then? ;)
Kimberley is the one that we were told to ask for. :yes:

Vikki
26-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Thanks, I'll remember that :)

Esmeralda
26-07-2013, 09:42 AM
You shouldn't eat undercooked pork it can make you seriously ill. Never pink.

Tink
26-07-2013, 10:14 AM
In the US pork is usually left a bit pink. You can get it more so if you request it. Some of the better restaurants will ask you how you want it cooked, depending upon the type of pork you are ordering. I cook my pork tenderloin to medium, with carry over heat it's served juicy and with a touch of pink in the middle.

Beccaberry
26-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Ugh, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience, Issy. And I'm shocked there were tables! Wow.

Do you think you'll give it a second chance eventually?

Britchick
26-07-2013, 01:16 PM
You shouldn't eat undercooked pork it can make you seriously ill. Never pink.

That used to be the case as pigs were seen to be dirty and carry some disease trichonomas or something like that, but now it isn't seen as a risk. I don't think I'd like it as rare as I have my beef though

Wendy
26-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Wow, very unusual, it doesn't matter where you read, it says that there are no walk ups at Be Our Guest, it must have been a rare occasion :unsure:

I like my pork to be slightly pink, it makes is more tender and tastes better :yes: You should have asked your server to return it to the kitchen, at least it would have given them the opportunity of correcting it for you.

I guess it's a good job we all like different things :yes:

Shellyamc
26-07-2013, 04:29 PM
I would be curious to see how they would handle someone complaining about the food.

I don't mind if something isn't quite how I like it, or if a mistake is made - it is how the fix the situation that is the mark of a good restaurant for me :yes:

Wendy
26-07-2013, 04:47 PM
I would be curious to see how they would handle someone complaining about the food.

I don't mind if something isn't quite how I like it, or if a mistake is made - it is how the fix the situation that is the mark of a good restaurant for me :yes:

Oh definitely I agree with you Shelly, but sadly they weren't given the opportunity to fix it :( We have found with other Disney restaurants that if something is not quite right the server is happy to take it back to the kitchen and they have always been very apologetic and normally there is a discount of some sort or even a free dessert.

We had the chef come out to us at Artist Point because my steak was rare even though I asked for it to be medium to well, I was really embarrassed, but he told the server to take away Chris' meal as well so that we could dine together. I'd not hesitate to go back there.

Johnie
27-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Chefs tend to undercook the meat because it is easier to correct than if the meat is done.

At LTT for dinner, the beef that comes out is always very pink. Same with the carving stations at various restaurants. The prime rib is usually rare but you can ask for a more well done piece.

Johnie
27-07-2013, 02:46 AM
Oh! I meant to say there have been tons of openings for BOG this month so walk ins are probably easier to get

catrancher
27-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Oh! I meant to say there have been tons of openings for BOG this month so walk ins are probably easier to get

Where are you seeing these Johnie? :unsure:

My DW and I are going to be there the night of 9/14 and I've been checking repeatedly with no luck. We're popping over to WDW on the 14th after getting off our cruise. My DW wanted to see the new Fantasyland. Right now, I've got an ADR for Boatwright's at the hotel but I've been checking to see if any openings at BOG would open up.
So far, no luck. :sigh:

Let me in on your secret.

Tom (:macwave:... but at least we'll get to see Yehaa Bob!)

Johnie
27-07-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm hearing it regarding July. Not any other time.

catrancher
27-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm hearing it regarding July. Not any other time.

Ahh... OK.

Thanks. I think. :sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... I'll keep looking...)

keith
27-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Ahh... OK.

Thanks. I think. :sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... I'll keep looking...)

crazy I know :( I'm hearing from CMs that demand is actually decreasing for BoG but that because of multiple reservations which are later cancelled, booking in advance is still near impossible. Now the cancellations OUGHT to mean that walk ins should start to be possible, but as we all know, they tend to hate allowing walk ins nowadays and deny them often when we can see lots of space in the restaurant itself.

If you're interested in going though Tom, I'd definitely advise phoning reservations early on the day itself or wandering by to see if they are allowing walk ins

catrancher
27-07-2013, 09:49 PM
If you're interested in going though Tom, I'd definitely advise phoning reservations early on the day itself or wandering by to see if they are allowing walk ins

Thanks Keith. That's a good idea. :yes:

My DW and I are only going for one night on the Saturday when our cruise gets in. Since it docks early in the morning, we figured we'd just drive over to WDW, see the new Fantasyland, and spend one night before driving home on Sunday. I've already got ADR's at Boatwright's for that night but I thought if I could get one for BOG I could give my DW a choice. I'll keep trying in the meantime but if it comes down to that Saturday, I'll probably just ask my DW if she wants to try to get in at BOG or if she wants to keep Boatwright's.

Tom (:macwave:... it's a dilemma.)

keith
27-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Im gonna own up, I really liked my first experience at BoG. It's a new part of MK and it feels magical. The small rose room we were in was just AWESOME

Wendy
28-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Im gonna own up, I really liked my first experience at BoG. It's a new part of MK and it feels magical. The small rose room we were in was just AWESOME

I can't wait until we go, I don't really mind which room we sit it, but I would love the Rose Room :D

keith
28-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I can't wait until we go, I don't really mind which room we sit it, but I would love the Rose Room :D

It's going to be quite awkward for us this time. In theory since we've been to the smaller room, we should try the larger dining room and enjoy the snow falling outside the windows and things, but the rose room was SO brilliant

Wendy
28-07-2013, 10:38 AM
It's going to be quite awkward for us this time. In theory since we've been to the smaller room, we should try the larger dining room and enjoy the snow falling outside the windows and things, but the rose room was SO brilliant

Please don't confuse me :lol: I think I fancy the rose room, maybe I will have to try for a walk up and go twice :D

uscwest
28-07-2013, 12:42 PM
It will be interesting, when we go in December, to compare the food/service to our trip there this February.

Wendy
28-07-2013, 01:02 PM
It will be interesting, when we go in December, to compare the food/service to our trip there this February.

I will be interesting to hear what you think about it John :yes:

Keith, have you been once or twice now, I know you went at Christmas when they had just opened and really loved it, but I can't remember if you went in May :unsure:

keith
28-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Keith, have you been once or twice now, I know you went at Christmas when they had just opened and really loved it, but I can't remember if you went in May :unsure:

Just once :yes: I couldn't get anything in May

I've booked twice for December for party nights

BUTTERHEAD1
28-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I have an ADR for 8/25 and after looking at the menu I am guessing that we will be ordering 4 Steak Frites. My party consists of my 12 year old daughter who loves Beauty and the Beast. Are allowed to request a certain room and if so which one do suggest we choose?

Slowhand
29-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Are allowed to request a certain room and if so which one do suggest we choose?
We were seated in the main room and we have no complaints....it was nice to see the "snow" falling outside the windows.
The smaller room with the mirror and rose is also nice although many folks drift into there after dinner in the main room for photographs etc. which may annoy some of the diners there [although this wasn`t the case on our visit].

keith
29-07-2013, 01:56 PM
The smaller room with the mirror and rose is also nice although many folks drift into there after dinner in the main room for photographs etc. which may annoy some of the diners there [although this wasn`t the case on our visit].

I must admit, there were always people taking photos of the rose. Our table was at the opposite end of the room so perhaps it would have been an annoyance if we'd been sitting closer

DisneyFreak
29-07-2013, 02:44 PM
they tend to hate allowing walk ins nowadays and deny them often when we can see lots of space in the restaurant itself.

Which makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would you turn away a paying customer? :shrug1:

Slowhand
29-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Why would you turn away a paying customer? :shrug1:
Blame a lot of it on the various pesky dining plans and the need to make an ADR months in advance.
A server that I know at one of the signature restaurants told me that they were told to not accept walk ins under any circumstances. One evening due to the numerous "no shows", half of the staff had nothing to do all evening even though folks had to be turned away at the podium....utterly crazy IMHO.

keith
29-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Which makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would you turn away a paying customer? :shrug1:

cos the CMs making the decision in the restaurant aren't pocketing the profits ;-) and would rather have a nice quiet life, easy to deal with 1/2 empty restaurant than working hard to manage a completely full one.

I've seen this happen time and time again.

Just a couple of examples ;-) looked at availability for the brown derby in May before we went to the park. bags of availability at any time in the afternoon. Walked into the restaurant, I'd say it was not even 1/3 full.... the lady behind the counter was telling everyone that they didnt accept walk ins. I said to her can we BOOK a table? "yes but only an hour in advance". I said come on , empty restaurant, this is really daft? so she called over her manager who looked at me like I'd asked her to turn water into wine, and said there would be NO walkins. I asked why when the restaurant was empty and she just said that was the policy. So I stood there, made a reservation an hour forward on my iphone and asked how early I could check in. They looked at me and said SHHHHH I'll get you checked in early in 30 mins as if it was the biggest favour.

sci-fi diner... I had a reservation, stood there and was being checked in. A load of people were being turned away.... as she led us into the restaurant I saw it was literally 1/2 empty. Not in ANY WAY packed and I Said wow I thought it'd be packed out! she said nah but we HAVE to handle the reservations, no one's paying us any more to handle walkins. As she said it, another lady said thats true but a few more gratuities would be welcome.

So I really think it's just low-middle management making stupid decisions. Easier for them to manage a 1/2 full restaurant than a completely full one even though DISNEY would Im sure prefer the latter (As would the guests trying to walk in).

Silly! like the situation for couples at Disney. We go online and try to book a table for 2.. no availability. Try 3 people and LOADS of room because the stupid system wont put a 2 on a table for 4.

Figment
29-07-2013, 10:44 PM
So sorry you had a bad experience. We were there in June and just loved it! My niece and I each had the steak, and my son had the pork. We all loved our food and will definitely be going back.

We had an ADR for 2 and while we waited in line to check in (and ask if we could make it for 3 instead), I heard them allow two walk in couples and I heard them turn away a party of 5. When I checked in and asked about the additional person I was told yes, but it might be a bit of a wait. It wasn't really...not more than 15 minutes...and I've waited longer for an ADR at other places.