PDA

View Full Version : I really need some pixie dust, friends...

Faythstar
13-09-2013, 05:53 PM
My grandmother has been in the hospital since Monday. She has been having episodes of forgetfulness that usually preceded really bad headaches. My mom finally got them to admit my grandma to the hospital Monday, and it's been a lot of stress since then. She's had some really bad reactions to some of the meds they've been giving her, making her hallucinate, making her aggressive, making it hard for her to sleep... My mom has been with her every day and most of the nights and has witnessed some really hard things.
They thought she had encephalitis, as a result of shingles in her inner ear a year ago (especially since her memory issues started around then), but yesterday they did a spinal tap and said everything came back normal. Today they're putting her under anesthesia and doing an MRI (something they've been trying to do since Monday, but problems keep arising). If this test can't pinpoint what's wrong, I don't even know what the next step will be. My mom is a nervous wreck because the medicine they're putting her on to give her the MRI is the stuff Michael Jackson OD'd on.
All of this is happening 9 days before we're supposed to leave on the Disney trip we've been planning for over a year.
I feel so helpless, and exhausted, and scared. I don't even know what to expect at this point and I can't stop crying.

Watchinherskip
13-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Oh no, I am so sorry for that. Of course PD and prayers for GM....I hope they get to the bottom of the problem and that you and your family get some relief from all the stress.

Shellyamc
13-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Sending pixie dust and good thoughts!

Britchick
13-09-2013, 08:06 PM
try not to worry, i'm sure they'll figure it out soon. The medication might frighten you but in Michael Jackson's case it was misused and not under the care of a hospital so totally different.

uscwest
13-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your grandma. Prayers and Pixie Dust on the way.

Deb
13-09-2013, 09:09 PM
So sorry to hear that, it must be so hard :( Sending pixie dust to you, and for your Grandmother, and all good thoughts that things are worked out really soon :comfort:

mumof2
13-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Oh no, I hope they find out what's going on soon and can help her get better :(

Wendy
13-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Thinking of you all and sending you buckets full of the magic dust all the way from WDW.

Johnie
14-09-2013, 03:32 AM
Oh no. I'll be praying for your grandma to have a speedy recovery

Tink
14-09-2013, 04:33 AM
So very sorry. I hope the doctors there can diagnose this properly and set the correct course of treatment. This is a very simplistic question but have they checked to be sure she doesnt have a urinary tract infection? In the elderly that can cause the problems you are describing.

Sending all good wishes that she is better soon!

Suebeattie
14-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Thinking of you and your family

piglet
14-09-2013, 08:58 AM
More pixie dust on its way, hope things improve

MystikPiglit
14-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Pixie dust and good wishes for you and Grandma.

Faythstar
19-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Thank you everyone. She is home now, after over a week at the hospital. They're now thinking she has post-herpetic neuropathy? Or something like that. Brought on by the shingles last year. They think that's what caused her headaches and possibly confusion. There are other things they're checking as well...she has lots of doctor's appointments coming up in the coming weeks. There is also a possibility she may have some kind of cancer on her neck; I'm still waiting to see what the tests for that say. So keep the pixie dust coming, I know it is helping. Thank you all so much.

Wendy
20-09-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm glad things are looking better for you :hug2: