PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 features

litt1etinker
17-09-2013, 04:54 PM
iOS 7 is released soon, and I was just wondering what features I have to look forward to :) thanks!

catrancher
17-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Complete information here ('http://www.apple.com/ios/').

Tom ( :macwave:... coming soon to an iTunes account near you!)

litt1etinker
17-09-2013, 07:17 PM
This looks amazing! Thank you!

Britchick
20-09-2013, 05:49 AM
So what does everyone think of iOS 7? I hate it! The iPhone to me was simple and sophisticated, it's now gawdy and confusing and quite honestly it looks more like an android :( worst thing on ipad is when scrolling up I keep hitting the control band thingie which you then have to keep closing down
grrrr

Suebeattie
20-09-2013, 06:02 AM
I haven't managed to update mine yet, havent got enough space :(. I've got to plug mine into the computer and take off some pictures but its just getting round to it

keith
20-09-2013, 06:12 AM
So what does everyone think of iOS 7? I hate it! The iPhone to me was simple and sophisticated, it's now gawdy and confusing and quite honestly it looks more like an android :( worst thing on ipad is when scrolling up I keep hitting the control band thingie which you then have to keep closing down
grrrr

I really really like it but then I've been using the test versions for months so I'm used to it

Keep going for a bit and see if you get used to it

Vikki
20-09-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm on iPad and have updated to ios7. Can someone give me an idiots guide of what exactly is different, apart from the appearance? Is there much different that it actually does?

Wendy
20-09-2013, 11:45 AM
grrrr

There is a manual fix for this:

You can turn off the control centre when you are using an app. Settings -control centre - turn off access with apps

It will stop it from opening when you are using an app

Chris said there is security flaw but there is a work around and apple are working on a fix for this and other things for a futures update. Details are on bbc.co.uk/technology.

catrancher
20-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Can someone give me an idiots guide of what exactly is different, apart from the appearance? Is there much different that it actually does?

Not an idiot's guide but instead the specifics from Apple are right here ('http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/').

Tom ( :macwave:... IOS 7'ified.)

catrancher
20-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I like it. :yes:

Seems quite crisp and clean. However, I can see how some people might not like it. My DW for instance. She loathes change. So this is going to blow her away. I may not upgrade her to IOS 7. :unsure:

The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is the fact that my third party apps now look a bit clunky compared to everything else on the phone. Prior to IOS 7, I always liked the realistic representation (leather, etc) in many apps but now with IOS 7, I'm finding that I prefer the more minimalist look.

Tom ( :macwave:... thank you Sir Jony!)

Vikki
20-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Not an idiot's guide but instead the specifics from Apple are right here ('http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/').

Tom ( :macwave:... IOS 7'ified.)

disneymom
29-09-2013, 11:12 AM
is it safe to upgrade yet?

Lisa1976
29-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Really annoyed that now I've upgraded none of my cables work. I've got to shell out to purchase the expensive apple versions now if I want to use them. Not happy :(

keith
29-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Really annoyed that now I've upgraded none of my cables work. I've got to shell out to purchase the expensive apple versions now if I want to use them. Not happy :(

really? did ios7 stop clone cables working then? I'd not heard that

Lisa1976
29-09-2013, 01:03 PM
really? did ios7 stop clone cables working then? I'd not heard that

It seems so. I've got a dock and a SD card cable for my ipad mini. Hubby has a cable for his iPhone.

I think it's really bad, apples products are so expensive :(

Claire
29-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Some forums are saying a reboot of the device solves the issue with generic cables.

uscwest
29-09-2013, 04:57 PM
I've just downloaded IOS 7.02 to my iPad. It changed all of my icons.

Britchick
29-09-2013, 07:01 PM
we had a bad experience with clone cables, nearly electrocuted me. I heard that apple will exchange them for 9 for a bone fide one due to the fire risk

Lisa1976
29-09-2013, 07:43 PM
we had a bad experience with clone cables, nearly electrocuted me. I heard that apple will exchange them for 9 for a bone fide one due to the fire risk

I wonder of that's all cables and docks or just the original charging cable, hmmm will have to call our one to find out

keith
29-09-2013, 08:08 PM

Absolutely.... I'm always telling people at work this and they're always telling me I must be rich to buy the proper ones. It's not that at all, it's just that I've actually seen fake cables burst into flames and others give people shocks.

Tbh for the extra few quid, I'd rather be safe

Britchick
29-09-2013, 08:34 PM
I hadn't thought it was a risk till then :(

keith
29-09-2013, 09:06 PM
I hadn't thought it was a risk till then :(

thats the problem :(

Britchick
29-09-2013, 09:10 PM
thats the problem :(

i wonder how they get away with selling them? i got them off a private seller on amazon, i also bought an epilator (tmi lol) that blew up off a private seller on amazon. A bit worrying!

keith
29-09-2013, 09:31 PM
i wonder how they get away with selling them? i got them off a private seller on amazon, i also bought an epilator (tmi lol) that blew up off a private seller on amazon. A bit worrying!

private sellers/ebay are getting shut down all the time and just reopen but what's weird is the number of normal high street shops selling the dodgy knock off cables. I asked a friend in trading standards and he said they do all they can but the sheer numbers mean they have to prioritise.

I have no evidence to say this other than gut feel, but I feel like Apple makes their cables more complicated to give the third parties a harder target to copy, which in turns makes failures more likely and also makes the original cables more expensive.

Britchick
29-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Well apparently you can get the cables for 1 in a shop that would sell them for that price!

Lisa1976
29-09-2013, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't mind buying from Apple if they weren't so expensive.

Britchick
30-09-2013, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't mind buying from Apple if they weren't so expensive.

After seeing what happened with my cable and the fact it nearly not stuck in the iPad I won't be buying the cheap ones again, it's just too risky, imagine if there was a fire :(

Britchick
30-09-2013, 08:59 PM
On another note my battery life is much better it would seem on ios7, getting used to it now too

Wendy
05-10-2013, 10:05 PM
I upgraded today, I didn't want to take a chance when we were away and it's the first time Chris has had chance - notice how I upgraded but Chris did it for me :lol:

I like it, it's a bit washed out looking but I think it seems much better and to make it even better I've been getting tips from a 17 year old this afternoon :lol:

uscwest
06-10-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm using it on my iPad and I don't know if it is the IOS or what but some of the apps appear to be hanging that I don't remember hanging before.

Watchinherskip
09-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Upgraded both DW's and my iPads yesterday. All I can say is ..eh....nothing earth shattering. I do hope you are right about the battery life being better. Seems like my iPad 3 was always hungry for the juice. I had to do a restore of the system after first installing it. I was getting like an negative image of everything on my screen. It was weird.

(......thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it!)

Tink
09-10-2013, 07:22 PM
I actually don't like the upgrade for my iPad mini. :( I don't like what it's done to the desktop icons and I really don't like what it did to the calendar. New isn't always better.

Watchinherskip
09-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I actually don't like the upgrade for my iPad mini. :( I don't like what it's done to the desktop icons and I really don't like what it did to the calendar. New isn't always better.
I hear that Tink. I liked the old OS better.

keith
09-10-2013, 09:48 PM
It's a very interesting time for Apple

When once they tended to do things their own way and sometimes I felt that worked well and other times I didn't, now I'm starting to feel they're looking at other companies (android in this case) and thinking, hmmmm, better catch up.

I can't say the ios changes have bothered me but whereas before the icons looked refined and special, I do feel the new ones look cheaper, more lala-candy like something out of a katy perry video (which again, I wouldn't always object to :) ) but possibly lost a degree of elegance.

I still think the functionality puts iphone ahead. I love imessage (and failover to sms) and the mail app, whilst basic, works well for me.

BUT considering it's their new headlining OS :/ well, hardly groundbreaking ;/

I was kinda hoping for nice moving backgrounds which are SORT OF in there but not really as much as android. I loved having interesting animated christmas backgrounds on my android phones

Wendy
10-10-2013, 06:02 AM
My battery life is terrible now :-( and I've turned off all the background bits and pieces. I'm actually considering going back to the old iOS that's if I can.

Britchick
10-10-2013, 09:35 AM
it's the elegance that i miss. There are some good things but if i wanted android i would have bought android! lol

Watchinherskip
10-10-2013, 04:43 PM
My battery life is terrible now :-( and I've turned off all the background bits and pieces. I'm actually considering going back to the old iOS that's if I can.
Let me know if you figure out a way to do it. Dear wife is not at all happy with the new OS.

keith
10-10-2013, 08:51 PM
it's the elegance that i miss. There are some good things but if i wanted android i would have bought android! lol

I think theyre playing a dangerous game :/ the closer they look to android the more people will think well I can get a nice android phone more cheaply, less restrictions and if it looks the same then why not.

There are some GOOD looking androids around now... the htc one looks very much like an iphone, the sony xperia z1 looks very elegant and swish as well as being water proof