PDA

View Full Version : New Dining plan exchange options

keith
21-08-2008, 10:26 PM
From August 24 thru September 27, guests on either the Disney Dining Plan or Deluxe Dining Plan can redeem one Table Service entitlement at a Quick (counter) Service location. In addition to the Quick (counter) Service meal, a certificate will then be issued entitling the bearer to:

* Two Snacks to be redeemed at the same time at the same location. This certificate is valid at participationg Quick Serve, merchandise or outdoor food venues

* OR the certificate can be redeemed for a sling mesh bag. The bag will be available at the merchandise locations which are listed on the certificate (designs may vary)

Dizneyblonde
21-08-2008, 10:27 PM
How much more complicated do they want to make the Dining Plan? :lol:

keith
21-08-2008, 10:30 PM
How much more complicated do they want to make the Dining Plan? :lol:

I know!

PLUS who cares about exchanging table service for snacks, I'd rather do it the other way round and exchange a few snacks, which we never use, for table service!

Johnie
21-08-2008, 10:31 PM
or a mesh bag...who wants that?

Dizneyblonde
21-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Exactly do they think we are mad!!!!

Dizneyblonde
21-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Good job i kept the receipt for the one i bought you as a present then Johnie!!!

Johnie
21-08-2008, 10:33 PM
:lol: I'd want one for a present...not to exchange a TS credit though!

Tink
21-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Honestly? That was so complicated I'm not really sure WHAT all is going on. :rolleyes2: That means that the CMs won't know either. :(

Tinker
21-08-2008, 11:23 PM
A mesh bag ? Geez, they could at least give us a pin . :D

Tink
22-08-2008, 12:43 AM
OK. I reread it, reaaaaaal slow. Scares me. Sounds like they expect the full service restaurants to be hammered. :(

Johnie
22-08-2008, 12:44 AM
They have been every year they've offered the free dining plan. The parks aren't crowded but the restaurants are crazy!

Tink
22-08-2008, 12:45 AM
:sigh; :( I'm not liking the sounds of that at all. :(

Tinker
22-08-2008, 01:20 AM
They have been every year they've offered the free dining plan. The parks aren't crowded but the restaurants are crazy!
Isn't that the truth .

kazzaqld
22-08-2008, 03:19 AM
That would be my interpretation of it too Tink - that they are expecting or already have full TS restaurants and don't want to get lumbered with complaints!

:rolleyes008:

Tink
22-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I know I've made it perfectly clear that I am NOT a fan of the DDP, but this is just one of the many reasons why.

Yes, free food is not something anyone is going to say no too, that I totally understand. Guests who qualify for it would be silly not to take it! Disney is the one that I hold responsible for creating a program with such a lousy design. They jam their restaurants with folks who are on the DDP (for free or otherwise) and are now complaining that those very guests are attempting to get the most for their money or free meal!

I think a three year old could have figured out that a program like that was going to be a mess from the start.

Eeeesh. I need to stop banging the pan on this one, but the whole DDP just sets my teeth on edge. :(

Johnie
22-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I understand what you are saying Tink. We don't typically get the dining plan except when it's offered for free. People do want to get the most for their money (whether the plan is free or not) and many set out to do just that. Disney has raised the prices of food so that people on DDP think they are getting more bang for their buck. However, those of us not using it are getting shafted. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere for food.

Tink
22-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes, Johnie I have to agree with you 100%. Disney created this mess, and now they seem to be trying to blame it on the guests, or that is the inference that I am making from some of the information coming through.

If you gave me a voucher for a restaurant and said I could have anything I wanted, I surely would pick my favorites.

I find it very interesting that when I make an ADR and I'm asked if I'm on the DDP when I say no, the response is usually some sort of pleased acknowledgement.

I can only imagine how much CMs must dislike this program. :sigh;

Doesn't look like it's going away any time soon though!

Tinker
22-08-2008, 05:24 PM
The waitresses/waiters definitely *dislike* the free dining plan . I'm the first to admit :overhere: that I ate at places we normally wouldn't be able to afford , but as you said Sister Tink ... its free ... why not take advantage of Disney's thought to be generousity to guests . And I'm with Johnie on this , I never paid for the DDP . I used my DDE and saved 20% on food & cocktails , but I went at that time of year , when they didn't do free dining as a load of us did .... so why not get the free dining .

Tink
22-08-2008, 08:15 PM
You know? I'd like to see some data to compare. Is it really less expensive staying full price at a resort with free dining, than it is to get a good rate (AP, AAA, whatever-not rack rate) and using the DDE or simply buying your own food (using good budget skills)?

Would really like to see some comparisions. :yes:

Tinker
22-08-2008, 08:22 PM
I really feel that it works out better the other way Sister Tink . I am actually considering taking my four day hopper and turning them in for my AP , ordering a DDE card upon my return or can I do it right there ? :unsure: And as stated before , forgetting the DDP next August and going with AP rate room and 20 % . When your paying and on a budget , you tend not to eat at the expensive places . I will still do the buffets, Ohanas, etc, but not like CRT's or Narcosses, Cali Grill so forth and so on .

Dizneyblonde
22-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Having the free dining is the only way i get to take the kids to the nice places to eat.
Last year some of our meals came to over $100 and i couldn't afford to do that OOP.

It wouldn't be worth me having AP so i couldn't get room discount that way.

Not paying for food at Disney saved me so much money which is why i'm desperate to do it again next year.

Tink
22-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Plus, if you factor in the flexibility not being on the DDP gives you, like being able to eat offsite, carry your lunch into the park, breakfast in the room. :shrug: I love going and staying on property, and will budget to be able to do so. Disney restaurants have fallen off so much lately that I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

That way I can have one or two special meals and truly enjoy myself. :shrug:

uscwest
22-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I personally think that Disney has to take a step back reevaluate the entire Dining Plan. They already have different tiers and have added the new QS plan. They should limit what is available on each tier, with the most expensive tier being able to order ANYTHING on the menu from appetizer through dessert and the free having a limited menu of things they can order. That would make it fair for all. And they wouldn't have to keep raising the prices.

Tink
22-08-2008, 08:29 PM
DizneyBlonde, that makes sense to me. :yes: I understand that free dining is a good thing for many people. I'm just wondering about true cost and savings compared to other options. :yes:

Dizneyblonde
22-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Last year was the first time ever we had eaten at TS restaurants and as we don't have a car eating offsite isn't an option.

It just made our holiday that extra bit special and we don't get to go as often so i'm up for as much of that as possible.

Johnie
22-08-2008, 08:31 PM
The DDP made us try restaurants we never had tried before. I don't know that we ever would have because of the cost.

Dizneyblonde
22-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I know where you are coming from Tink.

If we didn't have the free dining we wouldn't eat at TS restaurants and we would make do with other options.We would eat as cheap as possible.

All the while Disney are going to let me and the kids eat TS for free i'm going to bite their hand off though!!!

Tinker
22-08-2008, 08:37 PM
thats what I stated above as well, I haven't eaten at some lovely restaurants that I never would have been able to afford on a budget .
Teresa ~ besides your party at CRT's ~ I will pay for that as I've never been to the dinner in the castle .

kazzaqld
22-08-2008, 08:39 PM
For me it means not worrying that my picky eater has chosen something expensive and then not eaten any of it!

It doesn't matter what he eats or doesn't eat because it doesn't cost me any different!

I like that freedom! And the meals are then largely already budgeted for.

But I agree that they needed to put more thought into the plan, and anticipate that people would make use of it.

I like Tink's comment about the different reaction of the CMs when it's not on the DDP. We are going to SciFi Dinein and probably just having shakes and fries, so I said no my party aren't using the DDP for this meal and she did seem to have a different reaction. I said we were on the plan but all our other TS meals are booked - (which is true) and she laughed!

Dizneyblonde
22-08-2008, 08:53 PM
thats what I stated above as well, I haven't eaten at some lovely restaurants that I never would have been able to afford on a budget .
Teresa ~ besides your party at CRT's ~ I will pay for that as I've never been to the dinner in the castle .

Tinker hunny if we don't get free dining i'll probably pay for CRT for my birthday too.

You do all know my birthday isn't until November don't you?
Can't go then because of work so is it ok to celebrate while we are in Disney?

Johnie
22-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Of course it is!!

Dizneyblonde
22-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Phew i'll be having cup cakes with every meal then!!!

Tinker
22-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh, Definitely Teresa , I have celebrated my birthday in April & May . Its in June . I'm kind of celebrating Jims 50th.... September 8th into the 9th at The Poly .... his birthday is January 9th .

Dizneyblonde
22-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Well my 40th is 21st November so it's only fair to start celabrating on 21st August - the day we get to Disney!!!

Tinker
22-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Well of course ... thats how it should be .
Any idea on the date of your bday party at the castle ?

Taja
22-08-2008, 11:59 PM
OK. I reread it, reaaaaaal slow. Scares me. Sounds like they expect the full service restaurants to be hammered. :(

This was my first thought as I read Keith's post. :lol:

Two adults staying at a value resort at rack rate during free dining is a good value, Tink. We averaged about $100 per person per day in TS, QS and snack items in October, 2006. Of course, that did include appetizers and gratuities, although we included additional tips at many venues where we received wonderful service. We didn't necessarily order the most expensive items for TS meals, either, although we selected dinner rather than breakfast or lunch ADRs, for the most part. Primarily because we don't do breakfast and really aren't ready for a serious meal at lunch time, either!

Solo would be iffy, though. As would other configurations.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of the dining plan. It was nice to try it that one time, but I don't like having to commit to ADRs six months in advance! :)

Tink
23-08-2008, 12:18 AM
What is rack rate at a value now? :unsure:

Taja
23-08-2008, 12:26 AM
$82 in value season. Not sure in the other seasons--I'm thinking around $130-ish in regular season--but I could be wrong!

When we did free DDP in 2006, I think rack rate was in the 60s during value season, which is when we went.

Forgot to add in previous post that I also don't like being tied to so many TS ADRs--not just having to make them so far in advance. We felt horrendously stuffed when we did free dining, and I rarely ate more than 50% of a meal--usually less! Still lost 10 lbs--just wish it would stay off! :lol:

madhatter
23-08-2008, 09:04 AM
can you exchange say 4 snacks for 1 table service?

keith
23-08-2008, 11:23 AM
can you exchange say 4 snacks for 1 table service?

not that I know of :( that's what I would do if given the chance! We never use the snack credits

Beccaberry
23-08-2008, 11:51 AM
They offered this last time we were there on free dining as well though I think at the time, they offered pins or a lanyard of some sort...

We don't typically use our snack credits either unless its during the F&W Festival...then we make SIGNIFICANT use of them :D

Johnie
23-08-2008, 05:41 PM
We always end up with a boatload of snack credits left too. We usually raid the food court and get rice krispie treats to take home.

Beccaberry
23-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Last year, the kids and I went to Goofy's Candy Kitchen (right name?) and spent all of out left over snack credits there...quite nearly missed our plane doing so, too!

luvthemouse
23-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I think we'll make good use of the snack credits this time...:p

Dizneyblonde
23-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Well of course ... thats how it should be .
Any idea on the date of your bday party at the castle ?

I'd ideally like it to be our last night on 30th August. :p015:

Taja
23-08-2008, 07:36 PM
We ended up with a number of QS credits as well as a few snack credits. There was no formal structure for redeeming unused credits in 2006--it varied from place to place. The food court manager at Pop Century gave us a couple of options--and we bought a ton of Rice Krispies treats for Leu to take home to everyone! :lol:

Figment
23-08-2008, 08:19 PM
IMO, this is in response to the tons of people that sign up for the Dining Plan..free or not...and have no idea that they MUST make ADRs if they want to eat at a TS restaurant. Those people probably raised Holy Heck having tons of TS credits and no where to use them.

Disney needs to educate their guests more...without prior experience or knowledge of a board such as this one...I'll bet there are many, many unhappy campers with no where to turn.

We will never purchase the DDP and if we weren't already wanting to go during the time it is offered free, I wouldn't rearrange my trip *just* to get it. However, it is a wonderful way for many families (including ours) to experience the nicer places that we could otherwise not afford. On our previous trips before free dining, we had one or two buffet meals and then would do everything else CS...I would even buy the old Quick and Casual vouchers to help with that.

Johnie
23-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh I miss those vouchers. They were awesome!

Beccaberry
23-08-2008, 09:36 PM
OHHHHHHHHHH so do I!!

Tinker
24-08-2008, 02:49 AM
I'd ideally like it to be our last night on 30th August. :p015: Oh, that would be perfect . Jim and I are doing the cruise (hopefully) on the 19th of September . So, he probably won't come with me, but I can fly down, rent a car, drive in for five nights and then go to our friends house until Jim flies down . Do the cruise and go back to WDW . :D

Dizneyblonde
24-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Yay i just hope we can get an ADR for such a large roudy group!!!