PDA

View Full Version : America's Cup

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 04:47 PM
What a fantastic comeback for Team Oracle! They started the defense already 2 points down (penalties from qualifying rounds). They had their backs against the wall and had to win every race over the past week or so, and had to come from behind in yesterday's final match race. They won with over 40 seconds between them and NZ. That is unheard of in any sport.

The cup stays in America. Kind of weird and there wasn't an American onboard the boat for the whole defense! Guess if you have billions of dollars you can hire your ringers as you wish. The boats are freakishly fast (catamarans) that fly off the water on hydrofoil/centerboards. You can read about it here ('http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/sailing/2013/09/25/oracle-team-usa-beats-new-zealand-americas-cup/2871027/').

catrancher
26-09-2013, 05:09 PM
50 mph in a sailboat? Absolutely unbelievable. :jawdrop:

Sort of makes my time as a 12 meter winch grinder pale in comparison. :D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75186662/grinder.jpg

Tom ( :macwave:... older and grinder)

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 05:19 PM
50 mph in a sailboat? Absolutely unbelievable. :jawdrop:

Sort of makes my time as a 12 meter winch grinder pale in comparison. :D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75186662/grinder.jpg

Tom ( :macwave:... older and grinder)

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! What boat was that?

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 05:26 PM
I love the 12 meter boats!! I got to race Stars and Stipes 87 (Dennis Connors boat that won back the AC) in Canada II while on a cruise two summers ago. That was on the island of St. Martin.

I put a movie together. DW was the cameraman/drink wench...I worked trim on main sails.

o_JQNi8tIbc

I also raced on a newer and larger IACC class boat in the Bahamas. NZ 10 and NZ 12...

Not too shabby, I am 2 - 0 in races...wonder if the syndicate will be looking for a then 58 year old grinder on the next defense...hehe

catrancher
26-09-2013, 05:27 PM
US-55 Stars and Stripes. 1987 AC challenger sailed by Dennis Conner. :sail:

Tom ( :macwave:... and yes, it was fun!)

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Wasn't that just incredible??? What a hoot! We had the better of ol' S & S that day.

catrancher
26-09-2013, 05:30 PM
I love the 12 meter boats!! I got to race Stars and Stipes 87 (Dennis Connors boat that won back the AC) in Canada II while on a cruise two summers ago. That was on the island of St. Martin.

I put a movie together. DW was the cameraman/drink wench...I worked trim on main sails.

o_JQNi8tIbc

I also race on a newer and larger IACC class boat in the Bahamas. NZ 10 and NZ 12...

Not too shabby, I am 2 - 0 in races...wonder if the syndicate will be looking for a then 58 year old grinder on the next defense...hehe

Ahhh... same boat and place as me. In fact, that's the cruise I just got back off of. Course we were racing against True North IV.

Main grinder. 1st gear. GO!

Tom ( :macwave:... and ready to go back and do it again!)

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Ahhh... same boat and place as me. In fact, that's the cruise I just got back off of. Course we were racing against True North IV.

Main grinder. 1st gear. GO!

Tom ( :macwave:... and ready to go back and do it again!)

Tom, I am so with you on that one. I just contacted the company. I want to get another 12meter shirt from my boat. But thought about getting one of the other boats instead. True North has great lines as well. Nice boat. Would to love to have been able to say that I sailed on DC's boat Stars and Stripes though.

catrancher
26-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Wasn't that just incredible??? What a hoot! We had the better of ol' S & S that day.

I absolutely guarandamnteeyou that for any future cruise I might take that stops in St. Maarten, I'll be on a 12 meter. That was the most fun I've had in a month of Sundays.

I'd even like to have one of the two mini-12's they've got out in front of the store!

Tom ( :macwave:... got all my souvenir shirts, hats, etc. from Bobby's Marina.)

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Yeah and about that 50 mph speeds, doesn't even seem possible with 20 knot winds right? We had fair winds on our regatta, so we were pushing 12 knots.

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I absolutely guarandamnteeyou that for any future cruise I might take that stops in St. Maarten, I'll be on a 12 meter. That was the most fun I've had in a month of Sundays.

I'd even like to have one of the two mini-12's they've got out in front of the store!

Tom ( :macwave:... got all my souvenir shirts, hats, etc. from Bobby's Marina.)

Dude you can order one...there is a sailing class of boats that cost between 4 K - 8 K new. I just looked that up. They use them with dissabled sailors, they have a weighted keel like the real 12s, you sit inside them.

catrancher
26-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I just contacted the company. I want to get another 12meter shirt from my boat.

Actually, I've been corresponding with Sue Buyskes about that very same thing. I should have bought more when I was there. Unfortunately, they want you to send them your CC info via email. That's not going to happen. Maybe if we both beat them up we can talk them into getting a Paypal account. :fingers:

Whatchathink?

Tom ( :macwave:... needs more 12 meter stuff.)

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Here is one listing for one... cool that they use them with para-athletes

http://www.tommorse.com/tomsboats/mini.htm

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Actually, I've been corresponding with Sue Buyskes about that very same thing. I should have bought more when I was there. Unfortunately, they want you to send them your CC info via email. That's not going to happen. Maybe if we both beat them up we can talk them into getting a Paypal account. :fingers:

Whatchathink?

That is exactly who I was corresponding with....yeah I was leary of sending the card info.

On the other hand, after our race, hitting the gift shop and making purchases, as you know you get invited to share some rum punch. Well we also grabbed a snack, had a few beers and went to pay with our card, and they didn't take cards at the bar...ouch...So I was going to run back to the Allure of the Seas, get cash and pay the bill. I think I only had like half the amount in cash to settle the bill. As I was running (yup, litterally running) back to the boat, the waitress/bar tender came running after me (litterally!) and told me to forget it...they got it. That was so nice..our cruise ship was heading out soon and it would have been tight to get back. So I guess I owed them about $15 (and tip). They were really cool, told me to catch them on my next visit.

They are good people.

catrancher
26-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Dude you can order one...there is a sailing class of boats that cost between 4 K - 8 K new. I just looked that up. They use them with dissabled sailors, they have a weighted keel like the real 12s, you sit inside them.

Yeah. They're called mini 12's or the official class designation is 2.4mR. There's two of them sitting right outside the shop where you get the 12 meter stuff in St. Maarten. They can be a real hoot to watch also. Because of their size, a lot of them have a battery powered bilge pump in them. And watching them in a race during a good blow it looks like a fleet of jet skis cause they've all got a rooster tail out the back from where the bilge pump is blowing the water out. I'd love it.

Course, now most of my sailing is done with my mini IACC boat. This 'un:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75186662/Ragtime.jpg

I think if I were going to do any real racing these days, I'd probably just try to get a Laser. Super competitive one design. And at least with a Laser you don't need a single car garage dedicated to it's storage during the off season.

I've got more pictures of my time on US-55 on my Flickr cruise photos set here ('http://flickr.com/gp/41948495@N08/Hc0375/').

Tom ( :macwave:... room at the mark!)

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Cool stuff, I just got an old sailboat that I am working with...a bandit 15. Need to find a new headsail! Not having a lot of luck so may have to have one made. Grrrrr.

BTW, that is a cool IACC boat!

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 07:18 PM
The guy who designed the laser sailboat did the design on Canada II. I did get to race on an IACC boat in Nassau. The company has gone out of business (again....an ongoing event, new owners, then sell the boats). I sailed on NZ 10 (again it was in the lead!)

catrancher
26-09-2013, 07:30 PM
The guy who designed the laser sailboat did the design on Canada II. I did get to race on an IACC boat in Nassau. The company has gone out of business (again....an ongoing event, new owners, then sell the boats). I sailed on NZ 10 (again it was in the lead!)

Don't that just make your heart go pitty-pat! :mental:

Next, the AC72's!

Tom ( :macwave:... prolly not.)

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Oh no way Tom...not for me! Those things shouldn't exist in a physical world...breaking rules of physics and all...well bending them a bit.

When we did the race in the IACCs we had a guy working the main have heat stroke or something..so the guy (the most experienced sailor by the way - and he would tell you so) drops to the ground. His wife and kid keep grinding away...the tender rib comes by, drops his carcass off in the boat and we continue the race. Now the skipper is asking someone to man that station...yeah right, the one that just blue crossed an experienced sailor...anyone...anyone...Beuller>>??? So dingmat moi and dear wife take his position...fortunately, no one died (although we thought it was a heart attack) and we won!

Watchinherskip
26-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Tom did you get to see your boat in my video? We had great head to head action.

catrancher
26-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Oh no way Tom...not for me! Those things shouldn't exist in a physical world...breaking rules of physics and all...well bending them a bit.

When we did the race in the IACCs we had a guy working the main have heat stroke or something..so the guy (the most experienced sailor by the way - and he would tell you so) drops to the ground. His wife and kid keep grinding away...the tender rib comes by, drops his carcass off in the boat and we continue the race. Now the skipper is asking someone to man that station...yeah right, the one that just blue crossed an experienced sailor...anyone...anyone...Beuller>>??? So dingmat moi and dear wife take his position...fortunately, no one died (although we thought it was a heart attack) and we won!

:ROFL: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75186662/smilies/tracy.gif https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75186662/smilies/lmaof.gif

Love the bit about dropping his carcass off while the wife and kid keep on grinding. Sounds reasonable to me. When I was grinding, I had a kid as my partner. Somewhat less than useless. When one of the grinders on the starboard primary dropped off cause of the heat, that left me on port and the other guy on starboard. Thought I was gonna blow a gasket pumping on that winch. But I survived and am no doubt a much better man for it! Yeah. Right. :shrug:

Tom ( :macwave:... but ain't it a hoot!)

catrancher
27-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Tom did you get to see your boat in my video? We had great head to head action.

Yep. Sure did. Although I think they setup their tacks to deliberately make close crossings. Give the tourists a thrill. :shocked:

Also saw you grinding away at that winch. It appears you may have done this before.

Tom ( :macwave:... too pooped to grind anymore.)

Watchinherskip
27-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Yep. Sure did. Although I think they setup their tacks to deliberately make close crossings. Give the tourists a thrill. :shocked:

Also saw you grinding away at that winch. It appears you may have done this before.

Tom ( :macwave:... too pooped to grind anymore.)

Well it was a thrill for me! Maybe you are right....but it is a great way to get drama. The same thing happened in the IACC race with the NZL boats in Nassau.

My boss has a boat and I used to crew for them in races. I loved it. My boss and her husband are pretty busy with grandkids now, so the normal Friday evening handicap races will have to wait. Had a budy with a J24 that I would crew on as well. We always did poorly and that is a really finacy boat to trim.

Watchinherskip
27-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Whatchathink?

Hey Tom, sent Sue a request this morning....keeping fingers crossed!

catrancher
27-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Hey Tom, sent Sue a request this morning....keeping fingers crossed!

:yeahthat:

:fingers:

Tom ( :macwave:... more :fingers:)

Watchinherskip
27-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Just got this back from Sue:

Aha, we can accept a cheque made out to St Maarten 12 Metre Enterprises N.V.
But would be a lot quicker if you call?

catrancher
27-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Just got this back from Sue:

Aha, we can accept a cheque made out to St Maarten 12 Metre Enterprises N.V.
But would be a lot quicker if you call?

Good news there. So at least there's a way. She had offered the calling option to me also but I wasn't real wild about that either. My days of handing out my cc info over the phone are pretty much also gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Tom ( :macwave:... still would be easier if they'd just do a real internet store.)

catrancher
06-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Ready for a taste of what it's like on an AC-72? Try this.

The rules of physics will be temporarily suspended during this video.

Y6dnOlE9sjk

Insane! :sail:

Tom ( :macwave:... this is known as moving along briskly. :shocked:)

Watchinherskip
06-10-2013, 07:03 PM
I know....crazy right? Those things are insane!