PDA

View Full Version : What are you cooking today?

Tink
20-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Herself has embarked on the great fruit cake preparation. Hers is quite good, unlike many that you get "over here."

I'll be fiddling with the items we bought yesterday at the farmer's market. Tons of vegetables, with no real plan for them. That's my job sorted for today, making a menu.

We'll have fish tacos one day this week. We found some beautiful Alaskan cod on sale for $6.99/lb. Quite a good price for here.

We also bought some gourmet mushrooms and hydroponic lettuce. I think I'll make the mushrooms a dish on their own (they are delicious). The lettuce will be part of the tacos and then a bed for the lovely yellow tomatoes and fresh basil we also bought.

Herself is making Bunratty Ribs today too. :yes: :tralala:

So, other than your Sunday dinner today, are you cooking or preparing for the upcoming week's menu? I like to have an open ended menu that allows for flexibility.

Dawn
20-10-2013, 03:45 PM
I made honeycomb and chocolate truffles with Steven this morning if that counts. Not sure they'll last the week though. :lol:

MystikPiglit
20-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Been busy so no baking today. There's a nice ribeye steak for tonight. :)
I always write a week or so's menu and usually stick to it.

Britchick
20-10-2013, 04:14 PM
we made honeycomb too, we were spurred on by Dawn! There is a shoulder of lamb in the oven that smells delicious too, roast potatoes, carrots and green veg. nom

Tink- what do you put in fish tacos?

Dawn
20-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Tink- what do you put in fish tacos?

Oooh oooh oooh I know this one.

Fish

Esmeralda
20-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Huh nothing... I have no kitchen it is being ripped out lol. Still I actually prefer sandwiches and wraps so I'm happy.

I'm also not baking anything for Christmas this year, it is going to be a treat free Christmas, no chocolatey goodies just fruit and nice food. Natalie has been in and out of hospital since day two we got back in UK from Cyprus, she has to have her gall bladder out. No wonder the doctors in Cyprus were arguing whether it was her gall bladder or appendix that needed to come out. It was in fact BOTH! but luckily the antibiotic drip for the appendicitis kept the gall bladder at bay until we hit UK soil :( But she is now well known at the hospital now because all the doctors and students and nurses have been to have a look at her European appendix scar... it's not at an angle and near her hip bone like the UK scars but a line right next to her belly button. She's happy because she says it's a permanent souvenier of Cyprus... me.... I'll stick to magnets and postcards if you don't mind.

Anyways... no rich food for us and Nats because her op is due in December :( even though she keeps coming in and out of hospital for pain management.

Wendy
20-10-2013, 05:25 PM
I've had a day off from cooking which is very unusual for me. I was taken out for lunch and then we went sat by the canal and had an ice cream. Talk about coincidence, I had a honeycomb cornet :lol:

Tink I can think if someone who will be dancing a happy dance that Herself is making the ribs :D

Britchick
20-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Oooh oooh oooh I know this one.

Fish

You are the funniest person I know! ;p

Tink
21-10-2013, 01:52 PM
LOL, Dawn!
Brit, we use Alaskan Halibut or cod, or haddock. This time we have the Alaskan Cod. Herself makes a sauce that is so delicious! We have pico di gallo, butter lettuce, onion, and freshly griddled tacos (flour tacos, soft). Small tomatoes too. Lime to make it all sparkle. :D We'll have black beans and rice too.

Herself made some delicious cheddar and garlic biscuits too! We're going to be well fed this week.

Wendy, the "boys" ate ribs until they couldn't move. Seriously! LOL. You saw the results of my having the boy's Da help with the apple crisp. :D It came out nicely for all that. We also did a pernil which we'll cook in the slow cooker tomorrow. We usually do it in the oven, but this time we're giving the slow cooker a go. I don't usually like food done in that, but we'll see.

So, our refrigerators are stuffed to the gills, and we don't have to worry much about what to have for dinner this week.

Cooking does give us something to focus on. :)

Esmeralda
21-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I know where I'm eating this week now!

Tink
21-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Oh, that's what I meant to ask. What is the honeycomb you are talking about? :unsure: I know what bees honeycomb is, but I'm pretty sure you are talking about a confection? :unsure:

Tink
21-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Esme, sorry to hear about Natalie's continued problems. She sure has had a go of it. Her "scar" sounds like the surgical scar you'll see from appendectomies here. Straight and low between the navel and hipbone. Funny how procedures are different from country to country.

Wendy
21-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Honeycomb is very sweet and crunchy although, sometimes it can be chewy as well, most of the time it's covered in chocolate. Its' also call cinder toffee.

One of our best known honecomb sweets is Cadbury's Crunchie.

It looks like the pics below

16162 16163

Tink
21-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Oh. :unsure: I've never heard of it, or seen it. :redface: Is it hard to make? It's not a brittle, is it? Is it flaky and crisp or hard and crunchy?

Esmeralda
21-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Oh I can't seem to find a *quote* button... anyway my reply is to Tink.

O EM GEE! You have never had a crunchie bar in your life?! You are missing heaven on a stick!+ You bite into it and it is hard... but then it melts a little on your tongue and finally goes all chewy! and with the added chocolate on it it is just devine.... If you can go to a store that sells UK stuff or has a UK section... or failing that get someone to take some over for you... you must at least try it. There are recipes for it and they are nice... but the Crunchie bar is theeeeee best!

Esmeralda
21-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Again a reply to Tink... Natalie's scar is not horizontal. Why we're not sure? It goes up towards her chest, I'm having a brain f*rt what's the word I'm looking for lol.. opposite to.... ah vertical lol... got it! it's vertical and about one inch away from her belly button.

Watchinherskip
22-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh. :unsure: I've never heard of it, or seen it. :redface: Is it hard to make? It's not a brittle, is it? Is it flaky and crisp or hard and crunchy?
Yeah me neither...I was thinking Honeycomb cereal..hehe11875

Wendy
22-10-2013, 06:12 PM
I would say it's very crunchy and it melts in your mouth.

It is made from sugar, golden syrup and bicarbonate of soda and when I make it I like to spread it out so that it is quite thick so that it leaves some of it soft and chewy inside, but that is just my preference.

I also like it broken into pieces and coated with chocolate, but that comes as no surprise really, does it :lol:

Tink
23-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Hmmmm, sounds ummmm, different. :D I don't think I'd care much for it. Not a fan of chewy, sticky things. :sorry:

I was thinking the same thing, 'Skip. Couldn't mesh the mental image of honeycomb cereal with the confection.

Thanks for the replies, Esme!

Kate
23-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't think it's chewy, just crispy! You should try it tink if you get the chance!
We had shepherds pie for tea tonight

BUTTERHEAD1
23-10-2013, 06:42 PM
I am about to take an apple pie out of the oven and start making spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.

BUTTERHEAD1
23-10-2013, 06:59 PM
16182 Just finished making am apple pie and am about to start cooking some spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.

Tink
26-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Oh gosh, that looks so delicious! Any leftovers you'd care to share? :D

BUTTERHEAD1
26-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Thats a negative ....I have a 17 year old son at home who is eating me into the poorhouse

Tink
26-10-2013, 01:44 AM
Oh geez, I'll bet he is!

We finally had the pernil tonight. It was meltingly tender, and delicious. I still prefer it cooked in the over over being cooked in a crockpot, but it was definitely nice.

So, we're back at the weekend.

What are you cooking THIS weekend? :D

uscwest
26-10-2013, 01:54 AM
Oh geez, I'll bet he is!

We finally had the pernil tonight. It was meltingly tender, and delicious. I still prefer it cooked in the over over being cooked in a crockpot, but it was definitely nice.

So, we're back at the weekend.

What are you cooking THIS weekend? :D
Tink, forgive my ignorance but what is Pernil?

Tink
26-10-2013, 02:15 AM
We used a fresh ham, but you can use a pork shoulder as well. I trim the fat, but if you do it on the grill or in the oven you will want to keep the heavy layer on (the fresh ham). It's marinated for at least one day (or up to three) in a simple combination of spices, garlic and olive oil. The key is sllllllloooooow and low cooking. The meat is meltingly tender if it's done correctly and usually takes hours to cook. Many hours.

I use a combination of ingredients from several different recipes, but there are any number of variations "out there." It's like spaghetti sauce, everyone has their own version.

kazzaqld
26-10-2013, 09:20 AM
I reckon if I or someone from the UK get Tink in the ornament exchange, we have to include a crunchie bar! Do you have Violet Crumble in the UK? It's not quite as gooey as a Crunchie!

I am currently preparing gyoza for dinner - Japanese dumplings. I'm not doing them from scratch - just steaming and frying them. I buy them frozen. Yum!

Tink
26-10-2013, 01:41 PM
We love dumplings, Kazza! We can buy the wrappers/skins here and make them ourselves. Herself prefers them that way, but the frozen ones are quite nice, too.

Not sure what we'll be doing this weekend for cooking. I'm making macaroni salad for my niece's baby shower tomorrow. Other than that, I don't know.

Johnie
26-10-2013, 03:39 PM
It is a very chilly day here. Lol yes I know chilly is a relative term but 50 degrees does not make Johnie happy. I'm going to make chili today. It seems appropriate.

Johnie
26-10-2013, 03:40 PM
I love dumplings. I've noticed the wrappers at the store but not quite sure what goes in there. Are they hard to make?

MystikPiglit
26-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I've just made a cherry pie and I'm about to start on the spag bol for dinner. :)

(Who's singing that now? Lol)

Tink
26-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I love dumplings. I've noticed the wrappers at the store but not quite sure what goes in there. Are they hard to make?
Not at all. A bit tedious, but not hard. You actually put in whatever you please but general ingredients are pork (ground) or very finely minced shrimp (or chicken ground, you get the idea). Scallions minced, other veggies (but any you choose should be finely minced) and garlic. :D

You can run a google search and get some great ideas.

The dipping sauce is key. Soy sauce (we use dark) hot chili oil, mirin, and rice wine vinegar. Minced garlic and more finely chopped scallion.

Wendy
26-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I reckon if I or someone from the UK get Tink in the ornament exchange, we have to include a crunchie bar! Do you have Violet Crumble in the UK? It's not quite as gooey as a Crunchie!

I am currently preparing gyoza for dinner - Japanese dumplings. I'm not doing them from scratch - just steaming and frying them. I buy them frozen. Yum!

No we don't have violet crumble, it does sound nice though :)

Who knows the crunchie fairy might be on her way to Disney :wink:

uscwest
27-10-2013, 12:09 AM
I made French Onion soup for dinner tonight and our DS and DDIL and the boys came over.

Tink
27-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Now there is something I've never had luck with John. It ALWAYS tastes burnt to me, whether I've made it or not. I think I'm not a fan of the beef and onion combo, but I don't know why I wouldn't be. I like that combination in any other dish.

Esmeralda
28-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Just had pizza... still got no kitchen.. it's nearly done and I'm itching to get in there now. Plus we cannot move in the lounge because all of the kitchen is in here :( I don't know how hoarders can find anything.

Violet crumble sounds delicious.. must Google it to find out what it is.

Tink
28-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Ugh. Renovations while living in the midst of it all is horrid. :(

Mags
29-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Oh, you are all making me hungry again. I made a Punjabi chicken curry with basmati rice. It was very tasty but a nice slice of that apple pie would be very nice as well. :)

Mags

Esmeralda
29-10-2013, 08:36 PM
I have a huge bag of cooking apples and can't do anything with them yet. Kitchen is slowly getting there. Hopefully will all be done by Friday.

Tink
29-10-2013, 11:52 PM
We tried a new rotisserie chicken from Publix tonight. Fiery cranberry. I didn't get too much fire from it, but thought the cranberry was a little sweet. I'll stick with my lemon pepper, but it was a nice change.

Not sure what's for dinner for the rest of the week. Didn't get much weekend cooking done.

kazzaqld
30-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Pies, chips and veges tonight - simple mid-week fare.

Esmeralda
30-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Sighs.... sandwiches again..... I know I like them but............

Tink
30-10-2013, 08:24 PM
But they do get tiresome, don't they? For different reasons I've been stuck eating sandwiches for too long a period of time. No fun after awhile. Here's hoping your kitchen is done soon!

Johnie
31-10-2013, 03:45 AM
I went to Trader Joe's on Monday. I love that place but wish there was a store closer to my house. I bought a bag if russet potatoes and they are the best baked (jacket) potatoes I have ever eaten! Of course I complimented them with Irish butter :-D but I don't know that they even needed that.

So, that's what I've had for dinner every night since Monday. A baked potato. And it's been perfect.

I get so tired of sandwiches. I need to start packing a lunch to save money and be healthier. But it's hard cause I don't really have a set schedule and am on the road so much.

Esmeralda
31-10-2013, 07:07 AM
I would kill for one of your jacket spuds right now... yum......