PDA

View Full Version : Scotland

foreverducky
30-10-2013, 12:16 AM
I have decided that in the summer of 2015 I'm going to Edinburgh, Scotland! I have not had a vacation in a very long time, not that I could afford one anyway. With my new position I will not only have annual leave, but I should also be able to save for a vacation. You know, I tossed around the idea of staying in the States, as well as, a beach oriented holiday, but then I thought "What am I thinking? I should be going somewhere big!" While I don't always feel young, in reality I'm still young and have the energy to go far away. One of my dreams has been to visit Europe. In the past I have tossed around the idea of a guided, multi-country tour, but I think realistically it would be good for me to visit one area at a time. Scotland has been at the top of my list, specifically Edinburgh. One of my coworkers would like to go as well. Either, way I'm going in the summer of 2015. I know that the big festival is in August, but I'm aiming for June/July.

Anyone have any advice, tips, and/or hints for the trip or the long plane flight? Any specific hotels that are or are not recommended? I'm not going to lie, I'm a little freaked out about flying over that much water! I looked into better seats than traditional coach, but then saw the price tag of the tickets rise $3000!! So coach it is! :D

Tink
30-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Coach isn't so terrible. At least it wasn't when we flew Continental to Ireland. That airline is now United due to a merger. Bring enough stuff to stay occupied. The flight is boring beyond belief. The worst bit is the jet lag that hits when you arrive. Try really really hard to stay awake after you land, and make through as much of the day into the evening as possible. That will keep you from having days to adjust.

Go for as long as you can, because it won't be long enough. Be sure to stay in nice hotels. They don't have to be crazy expensive, but you'll want them to be very clean and in safe areas. :yes:

Eat everything new you can get your hands on. :D That's the best part of travel, the new foods to try. Yes, try the haggis! :D Castles, castles, castles.

Plan your holiday a bit, keeping room for being spontaneous. Bring home something beautiful and indigenous to Scotland.

Badlydrawnkel
30-10-2013, 09:01 AM
You need to ask for chips if you want fries ;-) but we also call fries fries over here too!

Go to our chip shops...different from the EPCOT one in England!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

MystikPiglit
30-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Well done on choosing one of the best cities in the world. :)
June is an excellent time to visit.
This website will give you lots of info:

http://www.edinburgh.org/see-do/

When you have a hotel budget and/or a shortlist I'll tryto give you some input on how they are.

Happy saving. :)

MystikPiglit
30-10-2013, 10:24 AM
P.s- If you're on Facebook these are good to follow:
https://www.facebook.com/edinspotlight
https://m.facebook.com/Edinburgh

robertcraig
30-10-2013, 03:18 PM
you will love EDINBURGH and try to visit other parts of SCOTLAND

Kate
30-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I feel the same about flying over the water when we go to Florida! I've never been to Scotland, my sister and my mum have both been and they absolutely love it there, they go on a coach and goon various trips all organized by the company.
There's quite a few haunted castles there too I think, one of them is quite well known - although I can't actually remember what its called :lol: I'll text my sister and find out for you!

foreverducky
30-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks for all the support and tips! I'm so excited! I found this funky hotel that seems quite out of place due to its modern design.

Deb
30-10-2013, 10:38 PM
I have been to Edinburgh quite a few times, and it is only 80 miles north of where I live now :) As MystikPiglit says, when you have a budget etc then we can most likely give you some more advice on hotels. But I would definitely get out of the city a bit...a trip to Loch Lomond, or a mini tour of the Highlands, depending on how long you will stay.

Long plane flights...well, read, sleep, have a plan for jet lag, it's not too bad really. Actually, I still find long flights exciting and I have taken many! And coach is ok too. There are airlines that fly straight into Edinburgh, so if I were you I would be looking for those flights. It makes things so much easier.

Ooo, and it's going to be exciting!!!!

Deb
30-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Oh, which one is it FD?

foreverducky
31-10-2013, 12:01 AM
This is the one I found: http://www.hotelmissoni.com/hotelmissoni-edinburgh
I want to do one of the ghost/history tours, but not sure which company to go with. Of course, the castle is a must see in my book! Plus, I'd love a good recommendation on a good pub to experience.

mumof2
31-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Oh man. that's so far away from me!

I went to my cousins wedding at Loch Lomond (and just realised it was 6 years ago, the day our Nancy was born!) and it was just amazing. A beautiful, beautiful area.

Dorothy
31-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Billie this is so exciting!!!

Johnie
31-10-2013, 02:01 PM
This is exciting!!!! I'd love to go. You are going to have such a good time.

piglet
31-10-2013, 03:33 PM
I have lived in Scotland for the last 11 years and after working in London I initially found it so quiet. I now live about 30 miles from Inverness and absolutely love it. I find the pace of life so much quieter, people are so friendly, the crime rate is much lower. People have accepted me (a common southerner) so well and I wouldn't want to move back down south. Where else can you wait to cross the road and cars will stop and wave you to cross?

kazzaqld
05-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I may be going to Scotland in 2014 if I can get enough time off. A long lost cousin to meet!

foreverducky
05-11-2013, 10:55 PM
I may be going to Scotland in 2014 if I can get enough time off. A long lost cousin to meet!
That's exciting! Where do you hope to go?

Deafjeff
06-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Scotland is lovely place! My father is Scottish and it is such a shame that I don't go up there often enough. If you let me know your price range and I can tell you where to stay etc. Do visit Edinburgh Castle!

kazzaqld
06-11-2013, 08:38 AM
That's exciting! Where do you hope to go?
Cousin lives in Edinburgh so that's number one on the list, not sure where else just yet. ;)

Britchick
06-11-2013, 08:50 PM
You should do the Whisky trail, I specifically like Aberlour sherry cask :)

*Bambi-Belle*
15-11-2013, 02:48 AM
I've lived here my whole life being Scottish haha! I live in the NE now but I'm originally from Fife ( near Edinburgh )

We will be heading down to Edinburgh to see The Lion King and the traditional Christmas markets the second week in December for my sons Birthday, we always tend to stay in the Apex a short walk to the princess Street (city centre), the breakfast room has a beautiful view of the Castle but there lots of places to stay for all budgets, if you're feeling flush, The Balmoral or The Scotsman is they way to go but there are good deals in the lower budget hotels like the Holliday inn Express or Travel lodge. The jury's inn tend to have good deals too. Both Chain and independent hotels in the city centre tend to have smaller than average rooms due to the fact they are in very old buildings, the Marriott is out near the zoo and has lovely big rooms but you do need to get a cab into the city centre.

The museums are free and you can look round the Scottish parliament building or go on a tour for free too. (not too interesting though) The parliament I mean, the museums are brilliant. If you like history Hollyrood Palace is beautiful and steeped in history, the guides are excellent, tours can be restricted if there is a member of the Royals in residence although they mostly stay at Balmoral. Mary Kings Close tour is fun, you go under the buildings on the Royal Mile where The old town has been preserved and find out about how people lived 100s of years ago. A night time ghost tour is fun but does require a good bit of walking on cobbles in some cases.

My favourite places include the museum of childhood, the writers museum, and Edinburgh's camera obscura, the actual bits on the way up to the tower are aimed a children but once you're up at the top the views are stunning and the camera obscura is fascinating. You have the best effect if it's a clear day, also it's a genuine Victorian obscura and of course the Castle is a must.

If you like fine dining and would like the Scottish experience The Witchery is a must but it comes at a price, nice for a vacation treat but there are many lovely more affordable restaurants on George street.

If your a confident driver you can hire a car and head over into Fife, StAndrews and the east nuke coast with its little fishing villages are nice, or up to Perth And Pitlochry where the scenery becomes more rugged. There are private tour companies that will drive you to the places you would like to see but I'm not sure of the cost. Stirling Castle is also nice

If you would like any questions answered, ask away. :)

MystikPiglit
15-11-2013, 10:22 AM
My favourite places include the museum of childhood, the writers museum, and Edinburgh's camera obscura

Mine too. :)
If you go in the warmer months, the Botanic Gardens are fabulous.

Check out the B&Bs too. There are some really nice ones in the upper price range.

Wendy
15-11-2013, 11:32 AM
I've never thought about going to Scotland, but do I like the sound of some of the things there are to visit :)

MystikPiglit
15-11-2013, 11:45 AM
You should go. It's the best country in the world. :)

kazzaqld
18-11-2013, 03:43 PM
So it turns out my cousin lives in Glasgow not Edinburgh, but I'm sure we'll visit Edinburgh too!

Slowhand
18-11-2013, 06:54 PM
So it turns out my cousin lives in Glasgow not Edinburgh, but I'm sure we'll visit Edinburgh too!
You MUST visit Edinburgh.
It`s not a very long way from Glasgow.

kazzaqld
18-11-2013, 09:36 PM
You MUST visit Edinburgh.
It`s not a very long way from Glasgow.
Yes sir! ;)

Esmeralda
19-11-2013, 02:28 PM
And don't forget to go looking in the hills for that elusive creature called the Haggis.....

robertcraig
19-11-2013, 02:57 PM
And don't forget to go looking in the hills for that elusive creature called the Haggis.....
Or and 2 short le

It has 2 short legs and 2 long legs for running around the side of hills

Tink
20-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Stop it you two! :lol:

Tink
20-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Besides, everyone knows that's a heelan coo! ;)

MystikPiglit
20-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Oh no, Tink. The wee haggis is a'feared of the coo. You'll find them scampering amongst the heather.

Tink
20-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Uh huh... :D :D
I'd like a photo please. :yes:

MystikPiglit
20-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I've never been fast enough to get a photo. ;)

Tink
21-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Well I'm sure your very handsome husband would be able to get a photo. :yes: (Don't you like the way I didn't say, "fast enough")? :D :D

MystikPiglit
21-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Lol! ;)

foreverducky
24-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Wow, thank you so much for the helpful hints!

What's the weather generally like around June/July. I heard rainy, but not sure how accurate that is?

Wendy
24-11-2013, 01:43 PM
It always rains in the UK :lol:

MystikPiglit
24-11-2013, 02:04 PM
There's no way of telling what the weather will do. It could rain or it could be scorching. :) The best bet is summer clothing that you can layer and rainwear to go on top.

Britchick
24-11-2013, 03:41 PM
it could be cold enough for a frost... as Diane says..layers :)

Esmeralda
24-11-2013, 05:01 PM
UK weather has gone to pot... the seasons are merging all into one it seems... Southern UK is not as rainy as West UK...

foreverducky
24-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Hmmm…layers definitely. I guess if I wanted to see the sun I should have planned for the Bahamas.

Britchick
24-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Hmmm…layers definitely. I guess if I wanted to see the sun I should have planned for the Bahamas.
if you keep thinking that you may and i say may be surprised :lol:

robertcraig
24-11-2013, 10:41 PM
If anybody is coming to scotland just pm me and i will love to meet