PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean - What the...?!?!

Tony G
13-12-2013, 11:51 PM
OK, it's been bugging me for years, but I've never really voiced it. What on Earth is the story of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction?

I've ridden it more times than I can remember but I just can't work out what the storyline is supposed to be - it seems to me like a collection of scenes with pretty elaborate animatronic figures doing 'pirate-y stuff'. I ride it ever visit in the hope that something will 'click' but, alas, it never has.

Truth be told, without a storyline, I've not formed an emotional attachment to the attraction, so I find it really difficult to understand how some call it their favourite attraction in WDW.

Knowing as I do that all Disney attractions are stories or journeys, I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on something. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I the only numpty on the forum?!

If you're in 'the other' camp and do understand the story, could you please put me out of my misery?!

MystikPiglit
14-12-2013, 09:29 AM
POTC is a firm favourite with me. I "yo ho" all the way through the queue area. :D
The story is simple. It's the tale of a bunch of pirates and what they get up to.
Next time you go, don't overthink it. Just immerse yourself in the ride and marvel at the theming. I still get goosebumps when the galleon comes in sight. :)

Tony G
14-12-2013, 01:47 PM
So it really is a bunch of animatronic pirates doing pirate-y stuff?!?!

Oh. I actually got that. I was convinced there was an actual storyline!

I must admit, I do love the sheer scale of the galleon scene.