PDA

View Full Version : Ireland trippie day 5 Thurs 14/8

mumof2
26-08-2008, 02:36 PM
part one

I'm going to do this in a few separate posts or else i'll have loads of photos at the end, so wait there 'til i've finished!

Today we went to Wicklow.

A couple of hours driving took us to Avoca where we visited 'The Meeting of the Waters' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Avoca) and saw a travellers caravan (i did ask their permission before i took their pic!)

mumof2
26-08-2008, 02:44 PM
part two

We carried on to Clara Vale where there was a beautiful quiet spot by the old church and school (no longer used as a school)

Isafari
26-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow...fantastic photos :yes:
That first shot is amazingly breath taking!

mumof2
26-08-2008, 03:32 PM
part three

we carried on to Glendalough and walked from the Upper Lake to the Lower Lake, which was maybe a couple of miles or so, where we saw the
monastery.

it was a lovely walk - the boys played in the trees, the sun shone, the scenery was beautiful....

i'm having trouble with my photos at the moment - bear with me.

blimet that took ages, got there in the end though! here they are.....

mumof2
26-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Wow...fantastic photos :yes:
That first shot is amazingly breath taking!

thank you Diane :hug2:

mumof2
26-08-2008, 03:55 PM
part four

When we left the lakes we went to Laragh for tea and scones - yum yum, after which we took the boys to a trout farm so they could do some fishing. They did really well and caught 6 fish in around 15 minutes!

We couldn't stay there too long, at 5.00 per fishing line and 3.90 a fish they were costing us a fortune!

mumof2
26-08-2008, 04:04 PM
part five - last but not least!

After fishing and all the yukky stuff that goes alongside preparing the fish for consumption we travelled home over the Wicklow gap, stopping in Baltinglass (if i remember correctly) for some chips to fill our hungry tums! We arrived back at around 9pm after a long and lovely day....

Dawn
26-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Well that's just great. Now I need to go to Ireland. :eek:

mumof2
26-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Well that's just great. Now I need to go to Ireland. :eek:

:lol: you do, you do for sure!

just a thought, have you seen the other photos on my boys live trippies covering the first 4 days?

Dawn
26-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Are dogs allowed in Ireland?

mumof2
26-08-2008, 04:59 PM
errr, yes! we've met a few dogs that take themselves for a walk- they come to say hello and won't let you go 'til you've patted them and talked to them :lol:

Tink
27-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Your photos are so very beautiful Mumof2. :hug1: I love seeing the places you've been!

I LOVE the travelers! I did not see any caravans like that when we were there. It's great that they let you take their photo. :yes: Looks like they must lead a pretty rustic life.

mumof2
27-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Your photos are so very beautiful Mumof2. :hug1: I love seeing the places you've been!

I LOVE the travelers! I did not see any caravans like that when we were there. It's great that they let you take their photo. :yes: Looks like they must lead a pretty rustic life.

thank you Tink! Yes, I would think they do live a fairly simple life - i must admit i don't ever remember seeing a van like that before - i've seen the pony and traps alright, but not the travellers....

i absolutely adore being up in the mountains, obviously they're civilised now with roads through them and houses dotted around the but when i get to a part where there are no houses i just love being there attempting to imagine how people lived there and travelled through them in a lifetime very long ago! :yes:

i can't describe the feeling it gives me just being there - it's breathtaking and my photos really don't do the scenery any justice at all......

Dawn
27-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Woo Hoo! Just checked and Willow can go to Ireland and doesn't need a passport or anything.:D

*puts Ireland on places we must visit*

Tink
27-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I promise you, Mumof2 I share those indescribable feelings. :yes: They can't be put into words well, but Ireland grabs your soul and doesn't let go, doesn't it, eh?

mumof2
27-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I promise you, Mumof2 I share those indescribable feelings. :yes: They can't be put into words well, but Ireland grabs your soul and doesn't let go, doesn't it, eh?

you're so right Tink, i never lived there but every time i go i feel so at home - possibly because of the family still there although we don't see them all, you know how families can be sometimes :rolleyes008:

i didn't go for many years, since i was a young girl 'til i was maybe 20 ish, and then shortly after that Mum and Dad bought an old cottage with a big field out back - we used to go over a couple of times a year.

we had some fun there, and froze in the winter! the first one up in the mornings had to get the fire going :lol:

unfortunately my boys didn't get the benefit of it as it was sold when Jamie was a baby - it had got to the stage when all their visits were spent fixing it up, but my nephews had some fantastic fun there when they were young! :yes:

mumof2
27-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Woo Hoo! Just checked and Willow can go to Ireland and doesn't need a passport or anything.:D

*puts Ireland on places we must visit*

yaaay! do it Dawn, you'll love it - now of course you'll find that some places aren't as nice as others but overall it's fabulous. you need to experience Ireland, you really do! :yes:

Tink
27-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Oh gosh. Having a cottage there would be so perfect. But I do understand about fixing up old buildings. I used to own a very old house. :sigh;

There is something about that country. Once it gets you, it never lets go.

uscwest
27-08-2008, 11:31 AM
I truly hope to be able to make it back to Ireland some day and take Donna with me. I was there in the 80's and drove an American car stopping daily in a local pub for a pint and spending nights in B&Bs. It is a beautiful country.

mumof2
27-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I truly hope to be able to make it back to Ireland some day and take Donna with me. I was there in the 80's and drove an American car stopping daily in a local pub for a pint and spending nights in B&Bs. It is a beautiful country.

oh i have a photo to show you John......wait right there

is this the hotel you stayed at?

foreverducky
09-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Please take me next you go to visit! I don't eat much. :D

mumof2
09-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Please take me next you go to visit! I don't eat much. :D

sure, why not!

foreverducky
09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
sure, why not!

Oh Thank you...just give me a good heads up. :yes:

uscwest
10-10-2008, 01:27 AM
oh i have a photo to show you John......wait right there

is this the hotel you stayed at?No, ours, if I remember correctly, was just upstairs over a restaurant. It was the only hotel we stayed in however, as we spent the rest of the time doing B&Bs.

mumof2
10-10-2008, 08:43 AM
:oops: oh, well never mind! it *was* overlooking the harbour though wasn't it?

Disneybumble
10-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Stunning photos M. I love Ireland i really do. We spent every summer and easter there until i was about 18. But the rain.................................. gairy very gairy. I haven't been over for a couple of years, but have family all over apart from the North but that is a very lonnnnng story.

mumof2
10-10-2008, 09:57 AM
thanks Siobhan - still got a couple of days of photos to go 'til i finish. i don't have so much family over there, lots of them moved here way back when.

only have 1 aunty left there, my uncles that still lived there are not with us any more - i don't really know all of my cousins and their children that are still there - well i have met them of course, but they're not as close as others.....

uscwest
10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
:oops: oh, well never mind! it *was* overlooking the harbour though wasn't it?
You know it has been so long I truly can't remember. It seems as though we drove into the downtown section of Rosslare though.

mumof2
10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
You know it has been so long I truly can't remember. It seems as though we drove into the downtown section of Rosslare though.

ah well, never mind! I just thought when we'd discussed it when i did my trip report a couple of years ago that you'd said it was over the harbour.....but my memory isn't what it used to be! :D

uscwest
10-10-2008, 01:44 PM
ah well, never mind! I just thought when we'd discussed it when i did my trip report a couple of years ago that you'd said it was over the harbour.....but my memory isn't what it used to be! :D

I THINK this might be where we stayed. Harbour View Hotel (http://www.harbourviewhotel.ie/)

Like I said it has been many years.

mumof2
10-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I THINK this might be where we stayed. Harbour View Hotel (http://www.harbourviewhotel.ie/)

Like I said it has been many years.

ah i see - looks very nice i must say! :yes: