PDA

View Full Version : KSC

Skywatcher
05-09-2008, 07:34 AM
For obvious reasons I am excited about this and so is Thomas - is there a lot to do there?

There is a launch planned for when we go which would be cool seen one before from the beach and I'm sure boys would just love that.

Also I see there is a ruide there now which I am presuming is a bit like MS

How far a drive is it from property I forget?

Dawn
05-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Just over an hour if you don't get lost. :oops:

I've always spent a full day there and I'm not as interested as you guys. The movies they show are awesome - don't miss the IMAX one.

Take insect repellant - we got seriously attacked there and Adrian had to wear long trousers for the rest of the holiday to stop people staring at his wounded legs. :eek:

Isafari
05-09-2008, 08:35 AM
You can also do the NASA Up-Close Tour....this is where visitors get the closest possible shuttle launch pad viewing.
A few minutes away is the Astronaut Hall of Fame :p015:

Slowhand
05-09-2008, 09:43 AM
If you are really into space exploration etc., which I`m sure you are then I`d take an ATX [Astronaut Training Experience] at KSC.

I did this a couple of years ago and it is fantastic. It`s a full day experience and it`s really not suitable for children below say 12-14 years old but you get privileged access to many things which are out of bounds to the regular guests, as well as having lunch with an astronaut.
Details of this can be found on the KSC website and you need to book in advance as the numbers are limited.

keith
05-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I love it. There's much more to do than there was a few years ago.

Great shops for space enthusiasts too :D movies great, talk with an astronaut, tons of models and tech stuff. I seem to remember a kids play park with a kiddie shuttle they could mess with.

Now I dont know if it's changed, but it was a two centre affair when I was there. You started at one part which had the movies and so on then you got a bus to the second part of the centre. Most people do the first bit first (duh) and then of course everyone queues up to get the bus to the second part. It took me over an hour of queuing in horrible heat last time. The tip therefore has to be, do the second part first :) There's no reason not to, theyre not in order or anything.

The other thing I remember is that on launch days, the second part was closed because they were getting ready for launch AND the tour round the place didnt go round the launch pads for obvious reasons.

Anyway, all a brilliant experience

Slowhand
05-09-2008, 09:58 AM
I also heard somewhere that they now have a simulated Shuttle launch type ride which I believe is better than Mission space.

Skywatcher
05-09-2008, 10:00 AM
At this rate we will have no time left to do Disney :D

Dawn
05-09-2008, 10:08 AM
We always do the bus tour first while everyone is watching the movies.

Ooooh do they still have that counter service place with the revolving food bar - highlight of my visit that was. :D

Oh and I remember they have the most awesome gift shop - even I spent hours in there.

keith
05-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Oh and I remember they have the most awesome gift shop - even I spent hours in there.

I didnt want to leave it :lol: Stuff I'd never seen anywhere else, charts, photos, space rocks :lol:

Skywatcher
05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
OK it looks like this is going on the itinery - thereare 2 lauches scheduled for when we are there as well

Ursula
05-09-2008, 11:14 AM
OMG! You HAVE to do this... it is very poignant the up close tour... take ID you won't get to do it without it. You will truly LOVE LOVE LOVE this place.

Dorothy
05-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Just remember that if there are launches scheduled (and not cancelled) they will NOT take a bus tour even remotely close to the launch areas. I believe that you can still tour the old never used anymore launch pads,but that will be it.

Make sure to stake out you place on the beach early for the launches since everyone and their uncle will have the same idea as you.

BevW
05-09-2008, 05:09 PM
I've never been there, but I have had the opportunity to watch launches from WDW. 2 at night and one in the morning while riding the monorail into the Magic Kingdome. Totally awesome.

Skywatcher
05-09-2008, 05:13 PM
are you sure that wasn't the fireworks bev? :unsure:

BevW
05-09-2008, 05:20 PM
are you sure that wasn't the fireworks bev? :unsure:

har har har....no really, it was the shuttle taking off. You can't confuse it with fireworks. It is BRIGHT and goes straight up and doesn't fade out.

Skywatcher
05-09-2008, 05:21 PM
we saw one from the beach a long time ago it was quite moving really

Dawn
05-09-2008, 06:21 PM
They do quite move. That's how they get up that far into the air.

BevW
05-09-2008, 09:02 PM
They do quite move. That's how they get up that far into the air.

DAWN :lol: stop it :lol: It just got serious... :lol:

Dawn
06-09-2008, 07:58 AM
:oops:

Tink
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
You know? I've only been by KSC and have never stopped. One of those local things that we take for granted I guess. :spring:

Slowhand
06-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I agree that the merchandise on offer there is awesome BUT I was at the point of buying a small jacket there once. It was very discreet, having NASA embroidered on the breast pocket and fitted me like a glove.
It was only when I looked at the label and found out that it was manufactured in the Far East that I put it back on the rack.
I know that WDW sells a lot of stuff made in China and elsewhere, but come on, NASA carries the pride of the US nation, surely they should support indigenous labour IMHO.:p015:

keith
06-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I agree that the merchandise on offer there is awesome BUT I was at the point of buying a small jacket there once. It was very discreet, having NASA embroidered on the breast pocket and fitted me like a glove.
It was only when I looked at the label and found out that it was manufactured in the Far East that I put it back on the rack.
I know that WDW sells a lot of stuff made in China and elsewhere, but come on, NASA carries the pride of the US nation, surely they should support indigenous labour IMHO.:p015:

I think I bought that exact jacket.. just looked and it says made in myanmar :/ wasnt particularly cheap though ok not hugely expensive either

agree with you really, you'd expect something like that to be American made

Skywatcher
06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I have seen the online store - the cost of the holiday just doubled :D

UKTim
06-09-2008, 10:52 AM
the ksc store was one of my favourite parts of the last holiday and made up for the endless malls I was dragged around

Dawn
06-09-2008, 11:19 AM
When I went to Florida with my mum - just the two of us - and we went to KSC for the day. I think the two of us spent more time in the gift shop than any of the attractions.

Slowhand
06-09-2008, 03:22 PM
The last time I was in the gift shop at KSC there was a huge framed photo signed by all of the Apollo astronauts [yes even Neil Armstrong who normally shy`s away from those sort of things]. The only thing that prevented me from buying it was the price...around $12K if I recall. :shocked025:

keith
06-09-2008, 03:40 PM
The last time I was in the gift shop at KSC there was a huge framed phot signed by all of the Apollo astronauts [yes even Neil Armstrong who normally shy`s away from those sort of things]. The only thing that prevented me from buying it was the price...around $12K if I recall. :shocked025:

I know exactly which wall of the gift shop that photo was on :lol: spent quite a while looking at it

I'd say the only thing I was a bit disappointed with at KSC was the dine with an astronaut thing. It was a very mediocre, nah I'd say it was worse than mediocre, buffet and a 5min speech by one of the lesser knowns followed by a very very tame 5min q&a session. Large ballroom place filled with people and to be honest it all felt a bit stilted and certainly not good value for money. The smaller, free, q&a sessions outside during the day had been much much better

Slowhand
06-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I'd say the only thing I was a bit disappointed with at KSC was the dine with an astronaut thing. It was a very mediocre, nah I'd say it was worse than mediocre, buffet and a 5min speech by one of the lesser knowns followed by a very very tame 5min q&a session. Large ballroom place filled with people and to be honest it all felt a bit stilted and certainly not good value for money. The smaller, free, q&a sessions outside during the day had been much much better
I know what you`re saying Keith.
The lunch on the ATX was a totally different affair though as "our" astronaut [Jerry Carr, who at one time held the record for spending the longest period in space.... on Skylab 4] was with us for ages. As there were only around 20 of us in the group there was a lot more interaction between him and us. He also gave each of us a group photo of him among our group together with giving each of us a shuttle pin as a memento which was of a better quality that those on sale in the shop.

keith
06-09-2008, 03:52 PM
I know what you`re saying Keith.
The lunch on the ATX was a totally different affair though as "our" astronaut [Jerry Carr, who at one time held the record for spending the longest period in space.... on Skylab 4] was with us for ages. As there were only around 20 of us in the group there was a lot more interaction between him and us. He also gave each of us a group photo of him among our group together with giving each of us a shuttle pin as a memento which was of a better quality that those on sale in the shop.

that sounds MUCH better. The ATX thing is the one where you're part of the shuttle crew?

Slowhand
06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
The ATX thing is the one where you're part of the shuttle crew?
Yep, that`s the one Keith. [Sadly on this occasion I was assigned a role at ground control though. :(]

keith
06-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Yep, that`s the one Keith. [Sadly on this occasion I was assigned a role at ground control though. :(]

Id love to try that I really would.. hey didnt you have a trip report on your experience? is it over here?

Slowhand
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Id love to try that I really would.. hey didnt you have a trip report on your experience? is it over here?
Yes I did write a TR Keith which I posted "over there", not "over here!" :lol:
As usual, I would have a copy saved of it on Word though.

keith
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes I did write a TR Keith which I posted "over there", not "over here!" :lol:
As usual, I would have a copy saved of it on Word though.

would LOVE to reread it if you get a chance to post :D

Isafari
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
:
would LOVE to reread it if you get a chance to post :D

:yeahthat: Chris would love it tooo I'm sure

Skywatcher
15-09-2008, 10:12 AM
bump :D yes please

probably wont do it though as I will be spending as much time as poss with the kids on this trip but would love to hear about it.

Thank you so much for all your replies guys

CC71
21-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Another vote for the trip report:overhere:please.