PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here keep chickens?

josh.p.
07-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I want some chicks or chickens so that I can raise them and keep their eggs, but I obviously can't get any cos of the dog. Does anyone here keep chickens that can tell me a bit more about them?

Claire
07-09-2008, 03:14 PM
:oops: Only in my fridge.

Tink
07-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I've kept them before. :yes: I was living in the northeast, and they had an outside coop, but could free range all day. They stayed close and never wandered off. Didn't much understand that, but was appreciative of it.

I had Rhode Island Reds, Bantys, and a Brazilian jungle breed (I'll never spell it right) Aracondis? When you have a rooster and hen (as I did) of the Aracondis, the hen lays eggs that vary in shell color from pale green to deep sea blue. Wicked neat!!

They were very easy. I had cracked corn and water for them every day. They ranged otherwise. They didn't mind giving up their eggs. It was great fun!

Unfortunately, that all ended one night. I had gone away for a long day (not overnight) and came home to feathers strewn and virtually no chickens. Never did know if it was due to a fox, or a pack of dogs. My thoughts were dogs, given where I lived.

I brooded some guinea hens for a farmer once too. NOISY little critters! LOL! They make great watchdogs, just like peacocks or peahens. :yes:

josh.p.
07-09-2008, 03:22 PM
My friend, Rosie has 4 chickens, one is called Jazzy cos she lays blue eggs- the eggs are lovely too. They are very nice flavoured with a lovely colour

Dawn
07-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I'd love to have some chickens but we have the dog issue too. I want to rescue some ex-battery hens - we'd need a fully secure enclosure for them because of the aforementioned dog and that is beyond us at present.

Our neighbours kept chickens for a long time until Mr Fox visited one night. :(

Ursula
07-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I love a roast chicken.

josh.p.
07-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I'd love to have some chickens but we have the dog issue too. I want to rescue some ex-battery hens - we'd need a fully secure enclosure for them because of the aforementioned dog and that is beyond us at present.

Our neighbours kept chickens for a long time until Mr Fox visited one night. :(
I've seen this:
http://www.omlet.co.uk/homepage/homepage.php
But I think it'd need to be more sonny proof for me to like it, plus they don't have much space either.
My cousin had the most amazing chicken-shed. He had a 6x6ft shed, with roosts and stuff in it, he used to hang lettuce from the ceiling for them to peck at, and then they could get to an aviary type bit inside.

I too wanted to rescue ex-battery hens as I really feel for the poor things.

I love a roast chicken.
:mad::mad::mad:

luvthemouse
07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
My brother currently has about 100,000 chickens under his care.... He's a grower for Perdue...

Disneybumble
07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Josh my friend has 8 chickens and a dog. They have penned off the whole side (length ) of their garden, It's about 2 foot wide. This gives the chicken along run and the dog away. She has bought the best hen house of ebay to. I will ask her any questions you want.

Tink
07-09-2008, 09:34 PM
The chickens really need a place to roam, in my opinion. My little chicken shed, had roosts and a good floor (not just ground) with a window for air and light, but they do really need to be out where they can wander around and have at the grasshoppers. :yes: :D

Taja
07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Living in the city, it's against the city code to have any farm animals. Horses are exceptions if the property is zoned for them, and then with very specific requirements.

My cousin and her DH in the midwest live on a farm. They have dogs, cats, pigs, goats, chickens and cattle. The cattle are in a very large fenced area, the pigs have their shelter and fenced area, and the goats live in the barn and are walked on leashes like pet dogs! The chickens have a very large enclosure with their own snug house, but are free to range during the day. Some do, some don't. They rarely lose any of the chickens, thank goodness! They sell eggs to neighbors and friends in town. Definitely not a get-rich-quick scheme, but it is a self-supporting operation.

For some reason, all of the animals seem to peacefully co-exist. Probably Don's example! :lol:

The dogs and cats are split between house and outdoor animals. Jan & Don are known for being very soft touches when it comes to animals and people frequently drop off litters of cats and dogs, as well as pigeons (Jan detests them--she's okay with just about everything else), racoons and a few other critters, depending on the season.

Johnie
08-09-2008, 12:22 AM
My papa had chickens when I was growing up. I wouldn't eat chicken or eggs when I was at their house :lol: but I was fine at home. Go figure. He always had dogs.

kazzaqld
08-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Gareth and I love our breakfast eggs and my DH said the other day we should keep chickens! :lol:

But my yard is very small and it wouldn't be fair on them. :mad: