PDA

View Full Version : Photo development problem

lozzy
10-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Before I get my photos developed I like to add borders etc:p015: but when I collect them for the store they have croped the photo and I lose the borders and words that I have added,:( could anyone advice me on what I could do to provent this happing or is the stores fault...:confused:

ukwdwnut
10-09-2008, 01:38 PM
id have a word with the store laura

have you tried getting them done by photobox or i think snapfish, i uploaded quie a few to PB and they came back great

lozzy
10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
id have a word with the store laura

have you tried getting them done by photobox or i think snapfish, i uploaded quie a few to PB and they came back great

I'll give them ago, thanks

keith
10-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Are you making sure that the dimensions of the photo match the size you've asked the shop to print them as?

Ie. if you're getting a 6x4 and your photo doesnt fit that size exactly then they may well crop to get it to that shape.

lozzy
11-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Are you making sure that the dimensions of the photo match the size you've asked the shop to print them as?

Ie. if you're getting a 6x4 and your photo doesnt fit that size exactly then they may well crop to get it to that shape.

Thanks:hug2: I'll have a look at the photo size, What size should I resize them to?
If I do resize then will it reduce the photo quailty?

keith
11-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks:hug2: I'll have a look at the photo size, What size should I resize them to?
If I do resize then will it reduce the photo quailty?

Well it's more a reshape than a resize (although it may end up being the same thing <G>)

The important thing is the ratio of the height to the width. If you're buying a 6x4 print and your image isn't in that ratio, then something has to give! It's either going to be you choosing where to crop or leave a border or it's going to be the shop

Isafari
11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
I use Asda online. You can actually see how each photo is laid out against which size print you choose so that you can zoom in or out for your print. You can also crop etc on the site.

Cj.
12-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Hello

As the guys above this post have said it is all about the ratio of the photo that you use. The majority of Digital cameras require the imagery to be cropped before printing.

The other thing you will find is that the resolution of a digital camera is normally 72dpi (dots per inch). I find when printing imagery, I usually set this resolution to 300dpi, and resize the image by dragging onto a template.

When you add borders to imagery the problem you have is when the companies print the imagery, sometimes they crop tighter then the image size that you have specified, hence losing the borders. I am not sure whether this is down to their setup not being aligned properly.

The other option is, some people allow you to print borders on your print, so each print is perfect with a .5cm border. Then you just need to add the text yourself and voila, the image is printed.

Cj.

lozzy
12-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Hello

As the guys above this post have said it is all about the ratio of the photo that you use. The majority of Digital cameras require the imagery to be cropped before printing.

The other thing you will find is that the resolution of a digital camera is normally 72dpi (dots per inch). I find when printing imagery, I usually set this resolution to 300dpi, and resize the image by dragging onto a template.

When you add borders to imagery the problem you have is when the companies print the imagery, sometimes they crop tighter then the image size that you have specified, hence losing the borders. I am not sure whether this is down to their setup not being aligned properly.

The other option is, some people allow you to print borders on your print, so each print is perfect with a .5cm border. Then you just need to add the text yourself and voila, the image is printed.

Cj.

Thanks everyone, I'll have to check everyone next time I get them done, normal I just upload and leave them.