PDA

View Full Version : Booked our first DVC stay

lisaw
10-09-2008, 01:33 PM
At AKV in Kidani Village, I was only able to book the first 7 nights - need 18 in all so I will ring back next week, mind you I could happily phone every day and talk to disney people :lol:

I am so impressed that my mushy brain had managed to work out all the point requirements exactly - I was so scared that at some point she was going to tell me I only had enough points for 3 nights :lol:

Roll on next August :D

Slowhand
10-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Hopefully this will be the first of many "Welcome Home" visits Lisa.

Johnie
10-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Oh how exciting!! We did a tour of the AKL villas and they look like they are going to be so nice!!

Britchick
10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
that's brilliant!!

Claire
10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Being a complete DVC novice, why can't you book the whole of your stay Lisa?

Wendy
10-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm so pleased for you Lisa :hug1: it must be so exciting :D

I'm very tempted to try and talk Chris into finding out some information, but I don't think he will go for it somehow :shrug:

Debbie2
10-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Great news Lisa. I have seen some photos of the new accommodation and it looks fantastic.

Wish we had bought into DVC years ago when we started going.

Must admit though I find it as confusing as Flying Club :confused:

Taja
11-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Woohoo!

Congratulations, Lisa! :D

Tink
11-09-2008, 12:06 AM
OOOOH! How exciting!!! :9: Welcome Home Neighbor! :D

lisaw
11-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Being a complete DVC novice, why can't you book the whole of your stay Lisa?

You can book your home resort (the one you buy into) at 11 months before your check in date and you can book any other DVC resort 7 months before. They only allow you to book up to 7 days at a time if you phone on the first day. I could have waited until 11 months from our checkout date and booked the whole lot but i am not that patient:lol: Also I love talking to 'disney people' on the phone so am happy to keep calling (especially as we get free calls to member services :D).

It really is quite confusing but it is starting to fall into place now we are actually using it :)

Tink
11-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Ah. Good to know the explanation. I knew that they had changed the booking, but wasn't aware that it still didn't include the ability to book the entire stay at the first opportunity. I still think it's silly to have to call more than once for the same stay (unless some dates are taken, of course). One of the little foibles of the DVC that I've never really cared for. :shrug:

As you can tell, I don't usually stay that long with our DVC. It's usually used for short weekend stays or Vero Beach jaunts. :yes:

lisaw
11-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Our booking is classed as 'open' for 18 nights so when I phone again next week they will add the next 7 nights and so on. I wanted that made quite clear as i obviously didn't want 3 separate bookings and run the risk of moving rooms. I agree it does seem crazy that you can't book your whole stay but i suppose that the majority of DVC owners are only booking a few nights at a time.

Tink
11-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Perhaps. :yes: I just would prefer to know that my entire holiday was booked at one time, eh?

But, there are tons of other good reasons to love DVC, eh? :D

I can't wait for you to stay at AKLV! I'm so looking forward to your photos and report! :yes:

lisaw
11-09-2008, 11:45 AM
But, there are tons of other good reasons to love DVC, eh? :D

Yep! I just got 10% off DD's birthday presents for tomorrow in the Disney Store with my DVC card :D

Tink
11-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh never forget to ask about discounts with that card! :D When you check in you'll be given a little booklet listing the current perks. It's a job in itself keeping up with them!

It's a great thing having those discounts. :yes:

Disneybumble
12-09-2008, 09:12 AM
That is great news Lisa.

Claire
12-09-2008, 09:50 AM
You can book your home resort (the one you buy into) at 11 months before your check in date and you can book any other DVC resort 7 months before. They only allow you to book up to 7 days at a time if you phone on the first day. I could have waited until 11 months from our checkout date and booked the whole lot but i am not that patient:lol: Also I love talking to 'disney people' on the phone so am happy to keep calling (especially as we get free calls to member services :D).

It really is quite confusing but it is starting to fall into place now we are actually using it :)
Thanks for that Lisa. All sounds very complicated at first!

disneywishmom
13-09-2008, 12:00 AM
WOW! I am jealous! My husband and I would like to look into DVC. We started looking into it and got really confused. We figure on our next visit, we'll make time to check it out.

Tink
13-09-2008, 12:07 AM
It's a bit confusing at first, but it does make sense once you have it explained. :yes:

Essentially, you purchase a finite number of points (there is a minimum, and a maximum). You pay for them once, and pay yearly dues thereafter.

Based on the time of year you go, where you stay, and the type of accomodation you choose, you will use your points to "pay" for the vacation.

You can bank unused points, and borrow from the next year, if you need to. You can effectively use three years points in that manner. You would bank all of year one's points. When you reach year two (having two years of points) you would borrow all of year three's points which would give you three full years of points to use for a given vacation.

You can stay at any DVC resort, use them for a cruise, use them for stays at many of the WDW resorts (not the values) use them for any number of other getaway/holiday type stays literally throughout the world.

disneywishmom
13-09-2008, 12:20 AM
[quote="Tink, post: 47337"]

You can bank unused points, and borrow from the next year, if you need to. You can effectively use three years points in that manner. You would bank all of year one's points. When you reach year two (having two years of points) you would borrow all of year three's points which would give you three full years of points to use for a given vacation.

quote]

I don't know if I could stay away from Disney that long. That takes a lot of will power! :7:

Slowhand
13-09-2008, 07:51 AM
I don't know if I could stay away from Disney that long. That takes a lot of will power! :7:
You may not need to do so!
What Tink stated was that you have the ability to bank/borrow points in order to amass a lot more points for that really special vacation.
Depending on where you stay and for how long, your points will allow you to visit as often as your points will allow.
Tink & I have been members of DVC since the early days of it`s birth [1992 in my case], and our original investment has paid for itself over and over again by now.
My only regret is not buying more points than I did at the outset.

Tink
13-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Us too, Slowhand. We should have bought more back then, eh?

I didn't mean to imply that you had to wait three years for a vist. I was explaining how you can use three years of points for an elaborate vacation.

You can choose to use your points for yearly visits, multiple visits during the year, however you please! :yes:

disneywishmom
13-09-2008, 07:34 PM
You may not need to do so!
What Tink stated was that you have the ability to bank/borrow points in order to amass a lot more points for that really special vacation.
Depending on where you stay and for how long, your points will allow you to visit as often as your points will allow.
Tink & I have been members of DVC since the early days of it`s birth [1992 in my case], and our original investment has paid for itself over and over again by now.
My only regret is not buying more points than I did at the outset.

Now I understand! Thanks for the great info!

disneywishmom
16-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Ok.... I am still trying to wrap my brain around this DVC thing. How do you lose points? Because I keep reading about people losing points. I thought you could bank them. Can you finance it through Disney or do you have to pay outright? My husband and I are interested but just don't know if it would suit us. For the amount of what we have spend on disney vaca each year, it seems like it would be something we should look into. So we want to make sure it would be an investment that would suit us.:confused:

Tink
16-09-2008, 02:20 AM
You can finance through Disney. :yes:

Lose points? :unsure: Only if you don't bank the unused ones by your deadline each year. Not sure why anyone would want to do that? (Fail to bank, I mean).

You can bank even a few points. Depending upon your use year (determined by the timeframe in which you purchase) you will have the schedule for banking all or part of your points. No reason not to know when they need to be banked. :yes:

lisaw
24-09-2008, 01:17 PM
We have booked our stay at AKV completely now - 18 nights in all, just need to add 3 nights at POR to the end of our trip now.

Sometimes thoughts come into my head of seeing if I could get BWV or BCV at 7 months for some of the stay but I don't really fancy packing and unpacking 3 times and wasting precious Disney time. We'll see ...

cathydisneynut
27-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Us too, Slowhand. We should have bought more back then, eh?

I didn't mean to imply that you had to wait three years for a vist. I was explaining how you can use three years of points for an elaborate vacation.

You can choose to use your points for yearly visits, multiple visits during the year, however you please! :yes:

That's what we did for this years holiday, banked some of last years points to this use year, and borrowed from next use year.

You can finance through Disney. :yes:

Lose points? :unsure: Only if you don't bank the unused ones by your deadline each year. Not sure why anyone would want to do that? (Fail to bank, I mean).

You can bank even a few points. Depending upon your use year (determined by the timeframe in which you purchase) you will have the schedule for banking all or part of your points. No reason not to know when they need to be banked. :yes:

I managed that!. Only lost 12 points though. I can't even remember how I managed to mess it up though!

We have booked our stay at AKV completely now - 18 nights in all, just need to add 3 nights at POR to the end of our trip now.

Sometimes thoughts come into my head of seeing if I could get BWV or BCV at 7 months for some of the stay but I don't really fancy packing and unpacking 3 times and wasting precious Disney time. We'll see ...

Welcome home, Lisaw! Have a lovely time!:hug2:

Tink
29-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Ooooh! Cathy! :( You can call and have them restored (but only right around the time when you've made the calculation error). :( Thank heaven it was only 12 points!

If it ever happens again, ask for the one time only courtesy of having them reinstated so you can bank them. :yes:

cathydisneynut
29-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Ooooh! Cathy! :( You can call and have them restored (but only right around the time when you've made the calculation error). :( Thank heaven it was only 12 points!

If it ever happens again, ask for the one time only courtesy of having them reinstated so you can bank them. :yes:

Thanks Tink! :hug2::hug2: