Dawn
11-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Florida Mall. :(

Wendy
11-09-2008, 11:59 AM
In the car waiting for Chris to come out of Argos, heard it on the radio :(

Johnie
11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
At work at CIGNA Healthcare. My friend had a small radio at work and we all sat listening to that.

Ursula
11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Glued to the tv :(

lisaw
11-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Getting ready to pick my DS up from nursery and watching Sky News while I was planning my DD's 1st birthday party for the next day when the news broke :(

ukwdwnut
11-09-2008, 12:34 PM
i was installing some computers in a holiday camp near dawn and the manager came in and told me so we went to watch on the TV, i was dumbstruck i just couldn't believe this was happening in front of my eyes at the sheer horror of actually watching the second plane hit the tower live on, it just brought a huge lump to my throat, and i still remember the feeling to this day, and its one i will never forget

I'm not religious in any way but "god rest the souls that lost their lives 7 years ago on this very sad day"

MystikPiglit
11-09-2008, 12:54 PM
I returned home with my DS, we'd been shopping, and DH rang telling me to switch on tv.
We sat watching in stunned silence, then I burst into tears and DS hugged me a lot.
I'll never forget that feeling of utter disbelief and despair that such a thing was happening.

:rose1:

Shellyamc
11-09-2008, 01:08 PM
I worked at a bank and had a meeting in our main branch about 20 minutes away. My car radio didn't work, so I left the meeting around 10 and headed back to work. I saw people pulled over and wondered what the heck was going on. I got to my branch and when I walked in everyone was sitting around the small tv in the lobby crying. I stopped dead in my tracks and when they told me what was going on I ran to call Dh and my Parents. They wouldn't let us go home, but no one came in the rest of the day. :sigh; Oh and we cried..a lot..

Slowhand
11-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I can remember it as though it was only yesterday.
One of our employees heard it on his car radio and rang in work to let us know the news.
No work was done that day, all of us sat glued to the tv totally shocked at what was going on.

Watchinherskip
11-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I was teaching first bell oceanography class at Great Bridge High School in Chesapeake. The AP biology teacher was watching the morning news while kids were busy in a lab and walked through the shared prep room and called me over to whisper what has just happened. I sort of blanked out and wanted to go over and see but I had to get through my lesson, I thought what a horrific and tragic accident (I couldn't understand how a plane could hit the towers though by accident). I sort of glazed over, put on a game face of a teacher and went on with the lessons. The kids could tell something was amiss. A few minutes later, the teacher came back to whisper again that a second plane hit the second tower. I put down my lesson, and tried to tell the students what happened. I hope to never see again in my life the look I saw on their young faces. I told them that I would turn on the television and they were aghast. The rest of the day was surreal. Later the administration thought it best to shut down the CC television as students were certainly most alarmed. Parents started showing up to pick up their students. Frantic calls on busy cell phones were overheard every where. One girl's father worked in the second tower and was totally grief stricken. I don't think that her father died, he was one of the lucky ones.

That was one of the bleakest days in my life.

Debbie2
11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Just got home from work and phone rang, DH telling me to switch on TV. Sky News was on for the rest of the day - could not believe what I was watching. We had been in 'Windows of The World' bar at the top of the WTC only months earlier :(

karrie
11-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I was working in a busy private nursery, we heard it on the radio, they stayed on the rest of the day, even the little ones seemed to notice that something was far wrong and were quiet.

Tink
11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
You know? I can't even get through this thread without welling up with tears that overflow.

I still can't go to Ground Zero. I can't even look out of the plane at the NYC skyline when flying into Newark, or other local airports.

I will never forget the sight of ash and dust covered people walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. Never.

MystikPiglit
11-09-2008, 03:46 PM
It saddened me to see on the news that they haven't even started on the memorial garden and museum yet. :(

Dawn
11-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I visited New York many years back and stood down by the Staten Island Ferry Terminal and stared back at the skyline dominated by those two towers. They really are not there anymore are they. Still so hard to believe that they're gone.

daveann
11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
watching sky news as it all unfolded and couldnt believe what i was seeing

Watchinherskip
11-09-2008, 05:41 PM
The towers were backdrops for many movies and television shows. They used the image as an establishing shot. Now when I see those older movies, or television shows (many movies and shows have been post edited, but not all of them) I get so sad and then really really angry. I guess for many of us still feel some sort of wounding.

Johnie
11-09-2008, 05:49 PM
They've opened a memorial at the Pentagon today. We're planning on visiting next week with my mom and sister.

http://memorial.pentagon.mil/

Skywatcher
11-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Buying Thomas his first pair of shoes

Watchinherskip
11-09-2008, 06:11 PM
The weird thing I remember was just how beautiful a day weather wise it was. Just perfect weather, I thought how could something so terrible happen on such a beautiful day. I looked up in the blue sky to notice how clear it was, how unusually clear. Then I realized what was missing, contrail from the planes flying down the east coast. There weren't any. Not a plane in the sky. I live in a busy flyway area. We have an air force base (sent fighters up to defend the skies from the plane that went down in Pennsylvania) and a huge navy fighter base. And nothing was flying on the way home.

Isafari
11-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I was at work when it happened but didn't hear about it until I was walking home and met a neighbour. I rushed straight into the house and put Sky News on .... sat glued to the TV for hours in total dismay, listening and watching in horror as the days events unfolded.

BevW
11-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I was at work...our company had gone out of business and two other women and I were closing up the building. We were listening to the radio and heard something about the Twin Towers....on woman pulled up the news on her computer and we watched it.
We all went home.

uscwest
11-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I was at work, which at the time was located right in the landing pattern at Dulles Airport. I had just come out of the computer room and walked to the guard desk where they had a TV on and had just announced that a small plane had flown into one of the twin towers. Then as we were watching the second plane flew in. So yes we saw it happen live. Then we stood there transfixed as the towers came tumbling down.

Britchick
11-09-2008, 07:04 PM
You know? I can't even get through this thread without welling up with tears that overflow.

snap Tink, I have been teary all day, my coworkers don't really understand i don't think:(

we had just moved to the US, i had just sat down with my breakfast after having done the school run. I saw it on CNN, i know what i had for lunch that day and then my life was a blur as Jon was whisked away, we didn't know where he was going or for how long. It was and will always remain a defining moment in my life it has changed everything that we know. I couldn't and still don't understand why anybody would want to do such a thing.

SleepinCatz
11-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I was at work on break watching the tv in the break room......It wasn't until the second tower was hit that i could make my legs move and go tell our store manager what was happening. It was that night that we found out we had a loved one in tower 2. she had just gotten that job.....

Figment
11-09-2008, 08:09 PM
My sister called and woke me up...Jordan was just 4 and had been up sick most of the night. He had just started watching cartoons on PBS (probably the only station that kept to normal scheduling). I changed the channel in time to see the first tower fall.:( I tried not to watch much while Jordan was around because I didn't want him to see me so upset.

The towers were backdrops for many movies and television shows. They used the image as an establishing shot. Now when I see those older movies, or television shows (many movies and shows have been post edited, but not all of them) I get so sad and then really really angry. I guess for many of us still feel some sort of wounding.

Jordan and I were watching Godspell about a month ago and when suddenly the shot of the towers filled the screen. It was gut-wrenching. I had to stop the movie and compose myself.

Jazmine
11-09-2008, 08:17 PM
I was in a shopping mall in Glasgow and people just seemed to be standing around looking very subdued so my friend and i asked a Security Guard was there something wrong and he told us what happened, we spent the rest of the day at my house in total shock and disbelief :lipwobble:
Jacqui xxx

Claire
11-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I pulled into our drive just as Steve Wright (Radio DJ) announced he was getting reports that an aircraft had hit one of the WTC towers. I went upstairs, did the pregnancy test I'd just bought, came down to hear the second plane had just hit. From then on Me, my brother and my mum sat in stunned silence. DH was working at Charles De Gaulle airport at the time and he had no news coming through. All he knew was nothing was taking off and guessed something serious had happened. It wasn't until 10.30 that night that I suddenly remembered to tell him the pregnancy test was positive. Owen arrived the following April.

Tink
11-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Brit. :hug2:

luvthemouse
12-09-2008, 01:51 AM
I was at work in Snow Hill Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. Rm. 8 to be exact. I was in to get my first patient of the day, a very sweet elderly lady. The had the CBS morning show on and they were talking about the first plane that had hit. Then during the live shot, came the second plane. My patient, her roomate and I watched happen live. It was quite unbelieveable. I left early to pick Holly up from school. Chris' office closed early that day too.

On a side note, we had just returned from our first Disney trip. Holly had started kindergarten the day before, and it was Chris' and my first day back to work. He went to work that day wearing a Grumpy t-shirt. He never put it on again.

Watchinherskip
12-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Everything changed then Krista, we weren't the same as we were before. Reading all our shared experiences it is still very moving to think of the effects of the day.

Beccaberry
12-09-2008, 02:04 AM
I've had to steer clear of this thread all day while at work, as I didn't think I"d be able to work my way through it without breaking down...of course I was right.

*sigh*

Unlike other's, for me, in many ways, it seems like a lifetime ago...I was still living in Texas, running a nursery school. As I walked through the door, one of the teachers told me about the first plane...then, together we watched the second plane. The rest of the day was a blur...and the weeks after...

I am in awe of those aboard Flight 93...to this day...they inspire me.

Tinker
12-09-2008, 02:48 AM
I was watching the terror unfold live on TV . I can't believe its been seven years and they still have not caught that SOB . Don't even get me started ! :mad: